Raiders player signing speculation 2024

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Ben & Sev Love Milk
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana and Josh Papali’i

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2024

Post by Ben & Sev Love Milk »

Could Weekes play 7 as a back up option ? Not ideal but maybe better then signing someone on a 1 year deal that has no future at the club. Heard Jamal talk about how he has a handy kicking game . Obviously he is probably not a natural 7 but I think he would offer more then Johns and Wakeham.
Ben & Sev Love Milk
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana and Josh Papali’i

Post by Ben & Sev Love Milk »

Feel free to rip that idea apart
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@Coastal It’s a bit difficult to know, as the Raiders have not named a Flegg squad or an SG Ball squad. So it’s even hard to be sure about which players are still with the club.

Re Weekes, he has played half for Manly. So he certainly could be a back up. I’m not sure the halves are his best spot, however. Fullback his best position.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Ben and Sev Love Milk wrote: January 9, 2024, 8:09 pm Could Weekes play 7 as a back up option ? Not ideal but maybe better then signing someone on a 1 year deal that has no future at the club. Heard Jamal talk about how he has a handy kicking game . Obviously he is probably not a natural 7 but I think he would offer more then Johns and Wakeham.
At this stage he would be. However, as we currently don't have a 2nd half in the club with a noted kicking game, so we would be in big trouble.

"Handy" isn't reliable or good. In fact, coming from a team-mate who barely knows him, it's probably a cliche response - not that Fog gives too many of those.

We 100% need a half who could come in and kick for 350m+ (good accurate kicks) in a game should Fog go down.
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

We need a player that has played a reasonable amount of first grade i.e. half a season or so, not young that can kick and organize.
Your looking for someone who, if fog goes down in the first game with an ACL can jump in and keep the team at a reasonable level.
Reality is you probably have to run with what you have and risk it or push hard to get sanders to break his contract.
denissnowy
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by denissnowy »

Raidernation wrote: January 9, 2024, 9:59 pm We need a player that has played a reasonable amount of first grade i.e. half a season or so, not young that can kick and organize.
Your looking for someone who, if fog goes down in the first game with an ACL can jump in and keep the team at a reasonable level.
Reality is you probably have to run with what you have and risk it or push hard to get sanders to break his contract.
Sam Williams. You're talking about Sam Williams right?

Totally jk
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

More like Dean Hawkins or Brandon wakeham type. Finding someone in reserve grade who wants to move to play reserve grade now is pretty difficult unless they aren't affiliated with a club which is why we will probably run with what we have.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Looking at it from a left half/right half point of view - then, if Fog is unavailable, Strange on the right and Weekes on the left would fit until the Colonel is on the Raiders books. When you look at the likes of Wakeham it is even more puzzling why Schneider was released. He could play NSW Cup for Penrith or the Raiders and Penrith have him. With his size and defensive skills he could have been a backup at either 7 or 9 imo.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Definitely could have kept old mate who went to Penrith
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

RedRaider wrote: January 10, 2024, 6:24 am Looking at it from a left half/right half point of view - then, if Fog is unavailable, Strange on the right and Weekes on the left would fit until the Colonel is on the Raiders books. When you look at the likes of Wakeham it is even more puzzling why Schneider was released. He could play NSW Cup for Penrith or the Raiders and Penrith have him. With his size and defensive skills he could have been a backup at either 7 or 9 imo.
I know who I would rather learn from out of Cleary or Fogarty. I think Schnider still believes he is an NRL capable half. The Raiders didn't share that view. From what I have seen, I don't either. He is a solid backup and would be ideal for us right now but a backup role to Fogarty and Strange wasn't what he was after. A backup role to a future immortal in the reining 3 x premiers is a different story. It could be the launch pad he needs for a starting NRL gig - ala Jack Cogger.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

I always thought,and still do, that Schneider will be a good NRL level half. The Raiders under Ricky have a poor structure and any rookie half is going to struggle. Put him into the Panthers structure and I believe he will thrive. Time will tell I guess.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Raidernation wrote: January 9, 2024, 10:31 pm More like Dean Hawkins or Brandon wakeham type. Finding someone in reserve grade who wants to move to play reserve grade now is pretty difficult unless they aren't affiliated with a club which is why we will probably run with what we have.
Hawkins is the Bunnies option
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Matt wrote: January 10, 2024, 12:30 pm
Raidernation wrote: January 9, 2024, 10:31 pm More like Dean Hawkins or Brandon wakeham type. Finding someone in reserve grade who wants to move to play reserve grade now is pretty difficult unless they aren't affiliated with a club which is why we will probably run with what we have.
Hawkins is the Bunnies option
Hawkins is a very good player. I actually think Souths would be better off during their winder with him at 7 over Ilias.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I rate Hawkins as well from what I've seen of him
Westsydneyraider
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Westsydneyraider »

dubby wrote: January 10, 2024, 7:33 am Definitely could have kept old mate who went to Penrith
THIS !!!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

They’re keeping the powder dry for Sanders I reckon

Whether they land that plane or not, remains to be seen but I don’t think they’re going to bring in another half. Sanders is the half they plan on filling that role. Once they have him officially signed, they'll work on an early release, if they cant secure one, they might look to bring someone else in. But plan a is sanders i think.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Based on the Instagram test, I'm going to be shocked if Ethan Sanders does not sign with the Raiders. Not only does he follow the Raiders, but quite a few players as well.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: January 10, 2024, 6:55 pm Based on the Instagram test, I'm going to be shocked if Ethan Sanders does not sign with the Raiders. Not only does he follow the Raiders, but quite a few players as well.
Indeed. And i think once it's officially offiical the two clubs will come together to some arrangement fairly quickly
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Botman wrote: January 10, 2024, 6:47 pm They’re keeping the powder dry for Sanders I reckon

Whether they land that plane or not, remains to be seen but I don’t think they’re going to bring in another half. Sanders is the half they plan on filling that role. Once they have him officially signed, they'll work on an early release, if they cant secure one, they might look to bring someone else in. But plan a is sanders i think.
I think we are all in on sanders as
Our future first grader, and have been for a while. But we clearly think we need another half on the books, if only for cup - hence they went out and signed one in Dargan.

They have shown the cards, and I’d imagine they are scouring the nsw/qld cup bargain basement bin as we speak to fill that hole.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Coastalraider wrote: January 10, 2024, 8:03 pm
Botman wrote: January 10, 2024, 6:47 pm They’re keeping the powder dry for Sanders I reckon

Our future first grader, and have been for a while. But we clearly think we need another half on the books, if only for cup - hence they went out and signed one in Dargan.

They have shown the cards, and I’d imagine they are scouring the nsw/qld cup bargain basement bin as we speak to fill that hole.
Yeah that's a fair call on Dargan, hadnt considered that tbh.
They'll need to replace him at some point. We did get the kid from the knights who is probably inline to play some NSW Cup this year

Henderson? i think his name was.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Botman wrote: January 10, 2024, 8:11 pm
Coastalraider wrote: January 10, 2024, 8:03 pm

Yeah that's a fair call on Dargan, hadnt considered that tbh.
They'll need to replace him at some point. We did get the kid from the knights who is probably inline to play some NSW Cup this year

Henderson? i think his name was.
Yeah he played a little cup at during the year when depth got tested. Still pretty green but a good prospect.

But again, the club obviously wasn’t happy with Hendo or Sanders playing week to week cup or potentially first drop for first grade as they already recruited Dargan over the top.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I side with Matt on this one. You need a back up half. I’d argue we need a first grade standard pivot more but we’ve dug that grave early.

It’s not fair or a good idea to have your back up half being your junior (and we don’t even know if he’s coming yet + if he does he’s at another club this year). The staff need to decide the path of that player, not one solo injury/suspension.

There are hardly any decent players available for this role but they’d only be an additional squad member or whatever they’re called now.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

greeneyed wrote: January 10, 2024, 6:55 pm Based on the Instagram test, I'm going to be shocked if Ethan Sanders does not sign with the Raiders. Not only does he follow the Raiders, but quite a few players as well.
I'm quietly confident he is, but this is rugby league and anything could happen.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

julian87 wrote: January 11, 2024, 6:01 am I side with Matt on this one. You need a back up half. I’d argue we need a first grade standard pivot more but we’ve dug that grave early.

It’s not fair or a good idea to have your back up half being your junior (and we don’t even know if he’s coming yet + if he does he’s at another club this year). The staff need to decide the path of that player, not one solo injury/suspension.

There are hardly any decent players available for this role but they’d only be an additional squad member or whatever they’re called now.
It will get even harder now that Ronald Volkman at the Dragons has been pretty much ruled out for the season. They've got Hunt and Kyle Flanagan, and no one else.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Lui_Bon wrote: January 11, 2024, 4:24 pm
julian87 wrote: January 11, 2024, 6:01 am I side with Matt on this one. You need a back up half. I’d argue we need a first grade standard pivot more but we’ve dug that grave early.

It will get even harder now that Ronald Volkman at the Dragons has been pretty much ruled out for the season. They've got Hunt and Kyle Flanagan, and no one else.
They lost Corey Allan to an ACL today too
Bennyboy2283
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Bennyboy2283 »

Adam Doueihi Is on the outer apparently at west tigers , wouldn’t cost much and is only 25 and can play anywhere in the backline, I know I’m going to get my head bitten off cause he is injury prone but what do we have to lose if he comes cheap
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Douehi has had three ACL injuries and when he did it in April last year, he was slated to be out for 12-16 months. He could be out until August… and then would be making a comeback from a third ACL. That’s not just injury prone…
Bennyboy2283
Ken Nagas

Post by Bennyboy2283 »

Teddy did 2 or 3 ACLs didn’t he
Bennyboy2283
Ken Nagas

Post by Bennyboy2283 »

How’s he going at the moment 🧐
Bennyboy2283
Ken Nagas

Post by Bennyboy2283 »

And no don’t even go there, I’m not comparing him to teddy, but I’m saying people can come good after 3 acls , I bet our recovery department is better than the west tigers are and maybe we can do something they couldn’t or think outside the box
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The latest injury report is out indefinitely. The last news report was talking about mid season 2024. He is on the outer at the Tigers because he’s on contract to end 2024, and will probably only be getting back into match fitness by the time the contract is up.
Bennyboy2283
Ken Nagas

Post by Bennyboy2283 »

The year we made the GF he was doing awesome under Bennett, where ever you put him he did good, he hasn’t had a decent coach since
Bennyboy2283
Ken Nagas

Post by Bennyboy2283 »

Remember papa headhighed him in the semi
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Bennyboy2283 wrote:And no don’t even go there, I’m not comparing him to teddy, but I’m saying people can come good after 3 acls , I bet our recovery department is better than the west tigers are and maybe we can do something they couldn’t or think outside the box
I have mentioned this before but I thought he was exposed defensively last season, badly. Tigers tried shifting him around positionally to hide him but all that did was shatter his confidence even more. There was one game I watched where he was stood up at least half a dozen times.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Bennyboy2283 wrote:Teddy did 2 or 3 ACLs didn’t he
One and a fractured patella

2+ and you're starting to run the risk of ending up like Campo