All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2023

Post by -TW- »

Brew wrote:
BadnMean wrote:
Brew wrote: December 22, 2023, 7:02 pm 9 Days left for this thread, anymore signing speculations?

Oh sorry, wrong thread: this is another bash Ricky thread.

I hope Ricky coaches us till he his 85 so all you miserable sods can talk about it on the internet for the next 30 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The beatings will continue, until recruitment improves.
News Flash - no one wants to live in Canberra when they can live in Qld or Sydney

Why exist, fold the club then
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Brew wrote: December 22, 2023, 7:02 pm 9 Days left for this thread, anymore signing speculations?

I hope Ricky coaches us till he his 85 so all you miserable sods can talk about it on the internet for the next 30 years.

Bright side, if he coaches until he's 85 we've got another 29 years of photos of you standing next to the love of your life whilst he's side-eying security with the EDIT nervous grin on his face. :lol:
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Botman wrote:

Bright side, if he coaches until he's 85 we've got another 29 years of photos of you standing next to the love of your life whilst he's side-eying security with the EDIT nervous grin on his face. :lol:
Lucky I’ve got to know a couple of the security guards over the last couple of years.

Can’t wait for the Season Launch for another photo

In Ricky We Trust
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

-TW- wrote: December 22, 2023, 8:45 pm
Brew wrote:
BadnMean wrote:

News Flash - no one wants to live in Canberra when they can live in Qld or Sydney

That's defeatist, garbage brew. Players will sign for clubs where it makes compelling sense for them to do so. Location is but one factor which would determine where someone plays. However, since when did recruitment become the primary factor to determine whether Stuart gets criticised? I get we all want to sign internationals but heaps of clubs are struggling... dragons more recently but the dolphins are another example. Id say were doing ok on this front. There is still time before rd 1 so hold fire before getting too worked up. Criticism quite rightly directed to Stuart is based on team performances... last year was crap and he deserves criticism for that. Until the team shows an improved attack, defence and resolve under pressure the coach should be criticised...
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

FROG wrote: December 24, 2023, 6:00 am
Brew wrote:
BadnMean wrote:

That's defeatist, garbage brew. Players will sign for clubs where it makes compelling sense for them to do so. Location is but one factor which would determine where someone plays. However, since when did recruitment become the primary factor to determine whether Stuart gets criticised? I get we all want to sign internationals but heaps of clubs are struggling... dragons more recently but the dolphins are another example. Id say were doing ok on this front. There is still time before rd 1 so hold fire before getting too worked up. Criticism quite rightly directed to Stuart is based on team performances... last year was crap and he deserves criticism for that. Until the team shows an improved attack, defence and resolve under pressure the coach should be criticised...
Phins signed Herbie. That's a big fish. They also grabbed a couple of other handy ones. They will be better than us
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

Re-locate to Gosford

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dusty wrote: December 24, 2023, 5:40 pm Re-locate to Gosford

The club exists because it’s in Canberra. It is no longer the Canberra Raiders if it’s not in Canberra.

This sort of comment really is disrespectful of our city and rugby league community. I might say more, but you’re a good bloke Dusty. 😀 And it’s Christmas🎄.
Brew
Steve Walters

Post by Brew »

Dusty wrote:Re-locate to Gosford

I wouldn’t relocate the club, there would be other things that could be done. As more and more clubs enter the NRL the less attractive we are becoming.

In Ricky We Trust
Brew
Steve Walters

Post by Brew »

FROG wrote:
Brew wrote:
BadnMean wrote:

I’m not talking about signing internationals. But we have lost a rep player and skipper and replaced them with a couple of NSW Cup players.

Dolphins have at least signed some quality Broncos players. If we weren’t in Canberra I’m sure we would have got at least a Fifita, Luai, Hunt, even Brooks is better than what we signed.

Thats why Ricky is doing well with what we have, brawl, punch above our weight etc.

In Ricky We Trust
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Luke Brooks has had a decade of mediocracy at the Tigers. I am happy to take a punt on the potential of Strange or Weekes.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The best way to attract players to the club is to create a culture that players want to be a part of. Create a successful team, over a period of time. Have a coach that players really want to play for, ones which help improve a player. Location is a factor, but not the be all and end all that some make it out to be.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

There is two factors here

1. Canberra is a town that will struggle to attract talent
2. We can maximise our chances to attract talent to our club by establishing a good culture that values winning and has an established history of getting the most of our players

We'll never solve 1. But we can offset it with 2, not to the level that we'll get internationals but to some extent that we can be a place certain players want to come. But it requires a lot more than "bleeding green"
denissnowy
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by denissnowy »

gerg wrote: December 24, 2023, 8:42 pm The best way to attract players to the club is to create a culture that players want to be a part of. Create a successful team, over a period of time. Have a coach that players really want to play for, ones which help improve a player. Location is a factor, but not the be all and end all that some make it out to be.
I recently met Luke Keary and Brandon Smith at Ronald McDonald House in Randwick. Had a good chat with them. The cold of CBR was definitely an issue for Keary. He told me that when the draw comes out each year the first thing he checks is whether they have to come to CBR and that it's not a night game in winter. Absolutely hates the cold.

So yes it is just one player, but the cold location is definitely a factor for that one very good player and I'm sure it is a factor for many others.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I've heard the same thing from a million NRL players.

For tough blokes some of them are dead set soft, and stupid.

In all seriousness, being worried about how cold it is when you play a game of football. C'mon now.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

Let's be honest, if you had options and the money was similar then Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane are the first choice.
Bigger cities, close to beaches, better weather, more entertainment.

The thing is the raiders don't lose too many in their prime if they get them young but it's next to impossible to get a high caliber player in their prime to come to Canberra because they have options.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Raidernation wrote: December 25, 2023, 5:22 pm Let's be honest, if you had options and the money was similar then Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane are the first choice.
Bigger cities, close to beaches, better weather, more entertainment.

The thing is the raiders don't lose too many in their prime if they get them young but it's next to impossible to get a high caliber player in their prime to come to Canberra because they have options.
And nearly all of our greatest players came through our junior systems, well, a fair amount has at least, not a great marquee signing destination, that's for sure.
So, let's sign them young, which the club looks like doing, I'm happy with that, with the junior's coming through at the moment, a mix of origin and international players, there is a lot to like for the future
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

We did try the youth policy from 2001 to 2014 with terrible results. So it's not as if this is a new way of thinking or is a guaranteed better outcome. We do have a recent history of some success and love or loathe Stick he is a stronger leader than we had in the early part of the century.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: December 26, 2023, 7:44 am We did try the youth policy from 2001 to 2014 with terrible results. So it's not as if this is a new way of thinking or is a guaranteed better outcome. We do have a recent history of some success and love or loathe Stick he is a stronger leader than we had in the early part of the century.
It was mostly local juniors and Souths Logan back then, I think this time is the first time that they have cherry picked players from Sydney clubs. Hopefully with better results.
deanoman
Brett Mullins

Post by deanoman »

We should play to the cold and have a lodge facility in Thredbo. In the middle of winter, have the team do camp where they go skiing and enjoying the elements. Becomes a unique selling factor for top talent.
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

deanoman wrote: December 26, 2023, 12:39 pm We should play to the cold and have a lodge facility in Thredbo. In the middle of winter, have the team do camp where they go skiing and enjoying the elements. Becomes a unique selling factor for top talent.
I think you risk injuries to key players.
deanoman
Brett Mullins

Post by deanoman »

President Clinton wrote: December 26, 2023, 1:42 pm
deanoman wrote: December 26, 2023, 12:39 pm We should play to the cold and have a lodge facility in Thredbo. In the middle of winter, have the team do camp where they go skiing and enjoying the elements. Becomes a unique selling factor for top talent.
I think you risk injuries to key players.
I appreciate there is that, but not letting them down the double black slopes isn't that hard to control.

The point I'm trying to make, is the club should look at its weaknesses and turn them into strengths. I've heard for years Canberra is "too cold", but no other club can offer a snow/alpine lifestyle. Having a sweat ski lodge where the players go through the week, train in the cold and ski after training would be a pretty cool incentive for any new players looking at Canberra for an experience.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

NoMan wrote: December 26, 2023, 10:02 am It was mostly local juniors and Souths Logan back then, I think this time is the first time that they have cherry picked players from Sydney clubs. Hopefully with better results.
Good point. Let's hope a more mixed approach gets us continuity across seasons. This needs to be mixed with some savvy recruitment and better calls on contract extensions. We're missing a couple of clear leaders like Hodgo and Soliola to ingrain those professional standards. Hoping that Papa/Tapa and others grow into that role. I'd also say Fogarty seems quite good in that regard, he eeks everything out of his talent.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I get the entertainment thing (Entertainment Centre at the Civic Pool site please!), but anyone claiming either Melbourne or Brisbane has wonderful weather is on another planet IMO. Melbourne can be dead set miserable. The last few times I've been in Sydney has mostly been bloody awful weather too just quietly.

Let's not forget the best team in the NRL is located in the sub-tropical paradise of Penrith.

But yeah, feel free to take it all over a cold winter. Brrr, too cold to play football for a professional athlete.

**** soft. Lol.

Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Yes the whole ‘noone wants to live in Canberra’ thing takes a bit of a dent when Penrith sign players for fun.

It’s not exactly the French Riviera.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

Timbo wrote:Yes the whole ‘noone wants to live in Canberra’ thing takes a bit of a dent when Penrith sign players for fun.

I don’t think it does. I’m not saying people don’t want to live in Canberra.
But you could live in Bondi and still play for Penrith, you don’t have to live in Penrith to play and train there.

How soon IS now?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Timbo wrote:Yes the whole ‘noone wants to live in Canberra’ thing takes a bit of a dent when Penrith sign players for fun.

Penrith is pretty great. We have a beach, good small breweries, some great food options popping up.

But beside all that, it’s a pretty easy commute. You don’t have to live in Penrith to play for them.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Timbo wrote: December 28, 2023, 2:18 pm Yes the whole ‘noone wants to live in Canberra’ thing takes a bit of a dent when Penrith sign players for fun.

Who have they signed? Can't think of too many big name recruits they've picked up in recent years.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

El_Capitano wrote:

I don’t think it does. I’m not saying people don’t want to live in Canberra.
But you could live in Bondi and still play for Penrith, you don’t have to live in Penrith to play and train there.

That's an hour on completely empty roads, but can take two hours in traffic. Quite a commute.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:
Timbo wrote: December 28, 2023, 2:18 pm Yes the whole ‘noone wants to live in Canberra’ thing takes a bit of a dent when Penrith sign players for fun.

Who have they signed? Can't think of too many big name recruits they've picked up in recent years.
They haven't had to for a few years because of their junior pathways. But before this current crop came through they recruited Trent Merrin and James Tamou and geez what's his name. The journey man half, from Storm > Warriors > sharks > roosters > panthers. Played for NSW.

Edit - Maloney.

All three rep players. Blake Ferguson is probably the last big name recruit we have jagged?

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

gerg wrote: December 28, 2023, 4:10 pm
Northern Raider wrote:

They haven't had to for a few years because of their junior pathways. But before this current crop came through they recruited Trent Merrin and James Tamou and geez what's his name. The journey man half, from Storm > Warriors > sharks > roosters > panthers. Played for NSW.

Edit - Maloney.

All three rep players. Blake Ferguson is probably the last big name recruit we have jagged?

Yeah Maloney was an origin rep, multiple GF winner. I'd call him a mercenary but not a journeyman- far too good for that.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Northern Raider wrote:

Edit - Maloney.

So we're going back 7-8 years to find any notable recruits. Doesn't really qualify as "signing players for fun".
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:

Edit - Maloney.

So we're going back 7-8 years to find any notable recruits. Doesn't really qualify as "signing players for fun".
I feel I'm repeating myself. They haven't really had to because of their incredible production line. Why do they need to recruit marquee players when they have developed them internally? One I did forget and most recently is Api Korisau.

But when you are developing Cleary, Luia, Crichton, Burton, To'o, Edwards, Yeo, JFH, Leniu, Martin, Kikau internally why would you recruit big name players, they've developed them? Now they have transitioned to that stage where they have to shed these players to remain cap compliant, after all they're not the Roosters or Storm who rarely lose players. Now they're at that stage where they bring in mid-range players to fill those gaps - Garner, Schneider, Sullivan, Hosking's etc, and they're not having any trouble doing that either.

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Seiffert82 wrote: December 25, 2023, 3:43 pm I've heard the same thing from a million NRL players.

For tough blokes some of them are dead set soft, and stupid.

In all seriousness, being worried about how cold it is when you play a game of football. C'mon now.

You never played at Junee knockout :lol: :P
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: December 28, 2023, 2:31 pm

Penrith is pretty great. We have a beach, good small breweries, some great food options popping up.

But beside all that, it’s a pretty easy commute. You don’t have to live in Penrith to play for them.
Penrith is a hole.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Lot of Penrith players DO live in Penrith because it's where they're from... but you dont have to live in Penrith to play for Penrith
If you want to, you can absolutely live in the nicer beach areas of sydney and commute, especially since going into Penrith in the morning and going back to the city at night is generally against most traffic. It is a long commute? Sure but people do long commutes every day in big cities.

But there is also a wide range of options including the Hills district which offer excell is very nice that a player can live and VERY easily commute to Penrith. It's a pretty nice and cruisy 30-40 minutes on the M7 and M4 (again, going mostly against traffic) from those areas to Penrith.

You play for Canberra, you live in Canberra. And you're either into that and it's winter, or you're not.