Canberra Raiders reportedly keen to target Ezra Mam

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Re: Canberra Raiders reportedly keen to target Ezra Mam

Post by Ilanraiders »

Northern Raider wrote: October 3, 2023, 11:26 am [quote=Botman post_id=<a href="tel:1961694">1961694</a> time=<a href="tel:1696284106">1696284106</a> user_id=145687]

[quote=greeneyed post_id=<a href="tel:1961559">1961559</a> time=<a href="tel:1696215259">1696215259</a> user_id=11]
It's an opinion that that is a fact in my opinion.

The contrary evidence is that when the Raiders were a successful football club on the field, players were queuing up to join the club and move to Canberra.
I don't think it you can compare the situations given the dramatic change in the code and the money from late 80's and early 90's to now.
It's a different game really.

I think being a successful, professional and well run club that strives to as a core value, and achieves sustained success on the field would unquestionably help recruitment. But we're never going to be on a level playing field when it comes to recruitment based on the city we are based in, you're not being honest with yourself if you cant accept that.
[/quote]
Comparing to 30 years ago is not even close to the mark. Most of our star signings came from a semi-professional BRL competition. Wayne Bennett was also a big factor in bringing guys like Mal, Badge and Jacko from Souths. Still not sure who the other star players were that queued up to join the Raiders. From my memory they became stars after doing our club.

Regardless, were talking about the fully professional NRL era. In that time there has been no high value players join the club. Closest we got was Tedesco who had yet to play any rep footy. Even he pulled the pin after signing to stay at Wests.
[/quote]
Jason Bulgarelli😂😂
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

On the other hand, the Raiders haven't won a premiership for 30 years...
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

They did manage to get to the point they were premiership favorites, albeit for about 2 weeks. Didn't seem to help with recruitment at all. If anything it went rapidly backwards at that time.

The club did manage some decent recruitment with the poms, BJ, Tapine, Sezer, Austin, Rapana and Jnr Paulo all in a two year stretch but that was a pretty poor period on the park. I guess maybe a lot of that was down to Mullholland though. Still it shows it can be done, if they managed to do that again around the juniors coming in things would look very good.

Or maybe the money is just too good now and paying overs isn't getting players to shift like it used to.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The Broncos success will re-awaken Brisbane business to enter into Third Party Agreements with the club. Watch a host of key players now stay with the club for hundreds of thousands less on the Broncos NRL salary cap.

Whilst the players will be getting pay parity via TPA’s.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

greeneyed wrote: October 2, 2023, 11:59 am Blaming the city is way off the mark. It is the No. 1 “excuse”. When you’re a successful organisation players queue up to join. Do people really think young footy players from Queensland want to leave home and go to Bleak City? Nope. But they do because they know they’re joining an organisation that will coach them to become top line players and play in a team that regularly offers an opportunity at a premiership.

Run a successful operation they come and find Canberra is a great place to live too.
The thing about this is you need some of those players in order to compete. At the moment we aren't attractive because we aren't a destination club. We need to work harder and identify talent earlier than others if we are any hope of breaking the cycle.

Coincidentally, that's what we are doing. Stewart and Sanders have joined with enormous wraps on them. We haven't signed talent like that (from outside our district) in some time, if ever.

Stewart ranked number 1 schoolboy in Australia last year. Frankly, I was shocked that he'd chosen to join us.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

How many established stars have Penrith recruited? Melbourne?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote: October 3, 2023, 5:19 pm How many established stars have Penrith recruited? Melbourne?
Yeah, it's such a furphy. The best teams of the last two decades (Storm and Panthers) don't recruit or hardly recruit at all.

Just another excuse for Rickheads to give poor coaching, development and structure a free pass.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

The Nickman wrote: October 3, 2023, 7:33 pm
Dr Zaius wrote: October 3, 2023, 5:19 pm How many established stars have Penrith recruited? Melbourne?
Yeah, it's such a furphy. The best teams of the last two decades (Storm and Panthers) don't recruit or hardly recruit at all.

Just another excuse for Rickheads to give poor coaching, development and structure a free pass.
But, but, we don’t have a big catchment area like the panthers and Storm!!

Oh wait, just 1/3rd of the state.

https://www.raiders.com.au/community/programs/

Who was the last player from the Riverina? Toots and Jack?

Edit: Harley, Frawley, cotric, wolf from Canberra
Schiller from young but our recruiters missed and he came via the dragons.

That’s a tonne of NSW catchment we aren’t utilising.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

The Nickman wrote:

Do you leave the Roosters out to suit your argument?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Brew wrote: October 3, 2023, 7:55 pm
The Nickman wrote:

He's right you know.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Azza wrote: October 3, 2023, 7:59 pm
The Nickman wrote:

He's right you know.
About the Roosters?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Why would he leave Brisbane?

He’d be mad to leave that team. He’s only 20. He’ll make plenty of money in his career.
That team is going to be a force for a good 5 years.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

The Nickman wrote:

Gee, you're being pedantic, should I have said "two OF the best teams"?

It doesn't change my point at all, and the Panthers are now the best team I've seen play since at least the 90s, and by far better than the "big spending clubs who have all the advantages".

We could've adopted their model, but we choose to complain about how hard everything is instead. Hopefully it looks like the club has finally decided to head in that direction, let's just see how it pans out, with Superbrain steering the ship.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

What? I’m not steering. Thought you were steering?
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

The Nickman wrote: October 4, 2023, 9:23 am
The Nickman wrote:

Gee, you're being pedantic, should I have said "two OF the best teams"?

It doesn't change my point at all, and the Panthers are now the best team I've seen play since at least the 90s, and by far better than the "big spending clubs who have all the advantages".

We could've adopted their model, but we choose to complain about how hard everything is instead. Hopefully it looks like the club has finally decided to head in that direction, let's just see how it pans out, with Superbrain steering the ship.
But we have recruited talented youth from other development systems, rather than build the base from within our own scouting regions. Stewart from the sharks, Strange from the Roosters, and Sanders from Parra. A change to be fair, but not the Penrith model. It’s actually very similar to the Roosters development model!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Papers reporting he has said that he will be staying at the Broncos. Rumoured $3mil extension, unsure of the length of the deal.

Ezra Mam declares he’s staying at Brisbane Broncos, poised to sign $3m extension

Electric Ezra Mam has declared he is staying at the Broncos with the playmaking young gun poised to ink a mega extension worth up to $3 million. Breaking his silence on his future, Brisbane’s grand-final star says he has no intention of quitting the club. The parties are still in negotiations, but the Broncos would prefer a longer-term deal, in the range of three to five years. A four-year deal would start at an estimated $750,000 a season, with incremental increases in line with the NRL salary cap pushing Mam towards the $900,000 mark.

Read more: https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nr ... 5e661ea4ca

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... f77f0da644
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Dr Zaius wrote: October 8, 2023, 6:28 am Papers reporting he has said that he will be staying at the Broncos. Rumoured $3mil extension, unsure of the length of the deal.
I’d guess 297mm. Standard length of a sheet of A4 paper.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Billy Walker wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: October 8, 2023, 6:28 am Papers reporting he has said that he will be staying at the Broncos. Rumoured $3mil extension, unsure of the length of the deal.
I’d guess 297mm. Standard length of a sheet of A4 paper.
Presumably the contract has multiple pieces of paper. And then given that it is the Broncos, there is likely a second contract also.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

The amount of money they must have thrown at these kids must be phenomenal otherwise surely their manager/parents can see the downside to signing with the death star.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

“The Indigenous playmaker could earn more elsewhere, but Mam is prepared to make a financial sacrifice to ensure the Broncos retain spinal members Reece Walsh and Adam Reynolds and construct a title-winning squad.”

Read more: https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nr ... 5e661ea4ca
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Lucky we didn’t dust off the ramp.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
deanoman
Brett Mullins

Post by deanoman »

Very silly by Mam this close to Nov 1. Makes no sense and reckon it would have cost him and extra half a million a year.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Off the top of my head,

Storm:

Xavier Coates

TLL
Troy Thompson
Mark Nicholls
Glenn Lazarus
Tariq Sims
Nick Meaney
Brenko Lee
They even signed George Rose!!
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

dubby wrote:
Off the top of my head,

Storm:

Xavier Coates

TLL
Troy Thompson
Mark Nicholls
Glenn Lazarus
Tariq Sims
Nick Meaney
Brenko Lee
I'll give you Lazarus, although that was in their early days, well before Bellamy's time. The rest, let's just say that you have loose definition of the term stars.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Dr Zaius wrote:
dubby wrote:
Off the top of my head,

Storm:

Xavier Coates

TLL
Troy Thompson
Mark Nicholls
Glenn Lazarus
Tariq Sims
Nick Meaney
Brenko Lee
I'll give you Lazarus, although that was in their early days, well before Bellamy's time. The rest, let's just say that you have loose definition of the term stars.
Fair point.

But how many "stars" has any team recruited?

E.g. Broncos.

Reynolds?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

dubby wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
dubby wrote:
Off the top of my head,

Storm:

Xavier Coates

TLL
Troy Thompson
Mark Nicholls
Glenn Lazarus
Tariq Sims
Nick Meaney
Brenko Lee
Fair point.

But how many "stars" has any team recruited?

E.g. Broncos.

Reynolds?

That's kind of my point.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Just remembered they had nate myles and Brett Finch

Two fine specimens

greenmail
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Daniel Vidot

Post by greenmail »

Broncos star set to reject six NRL rivals to sign $3 million mega extension

The Broncos are set to lock up Ezra Mam with a monster $3 million contract extension that will tie him to Red Hill for the next four years at least.

Mam is set to reject interest from six NRL rival clubs including Wayne Bennett’s Dolphins to ink a $1 million a season contract extension through until the end of 2027.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... eec8d38579
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

We were never a chance , nor was anyone else
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Great on his day, would of, should of, never had a chance...
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Guess Andrew Gee found some more money at the leagues club for Mam
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

deanoman wrote:Very silly by Mam this close to Nov 1. Makes no sense and reckon it would have cost him and extra half a million a year.
It won’t cost him a cent with the Broncos third party’s involved, watch them sign Walsh on a record deal well below league record deals.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson

Post by PNGRaider37 »

greenmail wrote: December 13, 2023, 4:45 pm Broncos star set to reject six NRL rivals to sign $3 million mega extension

The Broncos are set to lock up Ezra Mam with a monster $3 million contract extension that will tie him to Red Hill for the next four years at least.

Mam is set to reject interest from six NRL rival clubs including Wayne Bennett’s Dolphins to ink a $1 million a season contract extension through until the end of 2027.

Anybody else reckon he'll be a One season wonder or see a drop in form once he secures his big money deal?
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

PNGRaider37 wrote: December 14, 2023, 12:47 pm
greenmail wrote: December 13, 2023, 4:45 pm Broncos star set to reject six NRL rivals to sign $3 million mega extension

Anybody else reckon he'll be a One season wonder or see a drop in form once he secures his big money deal?
I think teams will get better at blunting his running game making him less effective.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I wouldnt bet against the guy myself.
Might be that he's a newer version of Blake Austin but i think it's more likely with the defences keyed into trying to stop Walsh he'll continue to be an impact player for the Broncos.