2024 Canberra Raiders draw

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: 2024 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by Botman »

Doc, your own graphic there proved my point.
I take the point that Bulldogs-Eels probably doesnt have the drawing power it once did, however by your own post, BOTH clubs in that contest out draw BOTH clubs in the Raiders-Knights game and one is doubling up! From your own post the Dogs-Eels contest is very clearly a step up from a ratings POV.

What are we even talking about here?
i should have ignored the quote and just stayed on the sidelines of this. Best of luck to you, friend but I cant go on this journey with you. I'm out :lol:
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Botman wrote: November 11, 2023, 7:12 pm Doc, your own graphic there proved my point.
I take the point that Bulldogs-Eels probably doesnt have the drawing power it once did, however by your own post, BOTH clubs in that contest out draw BOTH clubs in the Raiders-Knights game and one is doubling up! From your own post the Dogs-Eels contest is very clearly a step up from a ratings POV.

What are we even talking about here?
i should have ignored the quote and just stayed on the sidelines of this. Best of luck to you, friend but I cant go on this journey with you. I'm out :lol:
Its a step up in level of support for Parra fans, but much of a muchness for the Dogs really. The Dogs stink, and Parra kind of stunk next year. As a neutral, its uninspiring, and I'd be stunned if there was a significant step up in ratings. If they wanted a cracker for the first game, why not switch our game with Melb v Penrith. The other games are all duds.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Those Roy Morgan numbers are a load of rubbish. We’ve been through why, before. Just ask yourself this question… are the Melbourne Storm really the most supported club in the NRL? Yep, the survey is garbage.

Nine doesn’t own the stations in Newcastle and Canberra, they own the stations in Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne. That’s what’s going on. However, if they want to be the host broadcaster of the NRL, they need to promote the game nationally, as Seven does for AFL. It’s up to the ARLC to ensure it happens. It’s quite simple.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Knights vs Raiders for the first Thursday night game over Eels vs Bulldogs is a big win for rugby league fans. Nobody outside of Eels and Bulldogs fans is getting excited about two ordinary teams stinking it up for Thursday night in round 1. Aside from Titans vs Dragons, it's easily the least exciting game of the weekend.

Anybody making an argument for Eels vs Bulldogs is arguing from a false reality perspective that it's only fans of the two teams playing who are tuning in to games.

Eels vs Bulldogs in 2023: Eels win both games, first was 30-4, second was 34-12.

Raiders vs Knights: Knights win all three. However, 24-14, 28-6, 30-28 in one of the best games of the finals series.

I don't think it takes a genius to work out which match up the neutral fan would want to see. As far as building narratives, it doesn't take any sort of creative thinking to create buzz around Knights vs Raiders. It's very simple - the last game was a nail biter that went into overtime. Eels vs Bulldogs will take Gus Gould to come up with some of the biggest bs he's ever conjured to sell to fans.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Dr Zaius wrote:
Botman wrote: November 11, 2023, 6:39 pm
Dr Zaius wrote: November 11, 2023, 6:11 pm
Botman wrote:TBH i think thats entirely reasonable from the NRL and Nine
This will be their kick off and it'll be a big build up to that game as there is for every opening game... having that slot taken by two of the smallest markets does not make any sense. Week 4 or 12 or whatever, sure no biggie, but that's a huge spot for them, one of the biggest game on their slate. I know it wont be popular here, but ive got no issues with this.

Of course to the point of a previous post, id like the NRL to ask more of it's broadcast and media partners too. Fair for the NRL to rejig a draw to give Nine a game with bigger markets for their opening week TNF game... also fair for the NRL to ask that their broadcast partners present the game with a more professional broadcast cast product.
It's a reasonable take depending on who they replace it with. Two teams that missed the 8, one of which has been awful for years. Not exactly a big draw card.
Bulldogs Eels is one fo the games biggest sydney rivalries via history of dominance in the 80s. I mean it's worth it alone for the Nable pre game promo. Rivary game that harkens back to the 80's and triggers all the great nostalgic feelings, recently built stadium, that'll be packed to the rafters, two large fan bases... Game involves one team many will expect can realistically compete for a premiership. Big name players on both sides of the contest.

And it's not to say Raiders-Knights dont tick some of these boxes.. couple of high quality internationals, Dally M medalist, repeat of a banger finals game... there is narratives to build a game but they certainly dont tick them all. So lets be real, its a significant upgrade in terms of draw card. But again, i get it, this is the last place on the internet that i expect to see support for the move. As a raiders fan im disappointed. But as a football fan, i get it.
Parramatta v Canterbury drew 27K to Parra (decent crowd at that venue), 33k at Homebush (less than half full). Not exactly packed to the rafters. McDonald Jones Stadium holds 33k. It will be full.

Canterbury were not in the top 7 clubs for viewership last year. They are ranked only just above both Canberra and Newcastle for support according to the NRL. Obviously Parramatta are very popular, but the Parra V Cant doesn't have the drawing power it used to.

As a I said, I agree with you, provided that they replace the game for something that is clearly a step up in eyes on set. I'm not convinced that this game is.

C'mon now? Storm have over a million supporters and couldn't fill a stadium for a home semi last year?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

I would have preferred it if we didnt play one of our biggest bogey teams 1st up...word has it round town that we are gonna really stink it up this year, so we really needed the best start possible.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Lucky wrote:I would have preferred it if we didnt play one of our biggest bogey teams 1st up...word has it round town that we are gonna really stink it up this year, so we really needed the best start possible.
Do you offer anything other than deathriding the team every week?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

-TW- wrote: November 12, 2023, 7:55 pm
Lucky wrote:I would have preferred it if we didnt play one of our biggest bogey teams 1st up...word has it round town that we are gonna really stink it up this year, so we really needed the best start possible.
Do you offer anything other than deathriding the team every week?

not really :thumbsup
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

I think we would match up better with the Knights in a night time game than a day game. I am sure the knights in their win streak last year only played 1 night game.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

kona_dream wrote: November 13, 2023, 5:32 am I think we would match up better with the Knights in a night time game than a day game. I am sure the knights in their win streak last year only played 1 night game.
Are you saying the Knights might have less might at night?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

LIVE STREAM: NRL CEO Andrew Abdo addresses the media to announce the 2024 NRL and NRLW draw: https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/11/13/202 ... ship-draw/

The live stream commences at 11:00am.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

The sticky stench is rife.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders 2024 NRL and NRLW draw

Canberra Raiders members will have the opportunity to attend Canberra Stadium on at least 13 occasions in season 2024, after the NRL and NRLW draws were officially released today.

Blockbusters against the Panthers, South Sydney, Parramatta, the Roosters and Manly feature across the course of the NRL season at home, with two NRL/NRLW double headers to come late in the season.

The Raiders will also take a home fixture to the NRL Magic Round for the first time, which will replace the home fixture which has been held in Wagga Wagga over the past few seasons.

The opportunity to take a home match to Magic Round will be a wonderful reward for all the clubs loyal and fanatical members and fans in Southeast Queensland, with the match against the Bulldogs in Brisbane set to double as a celebration of the club’s 1994 premiership victory.

The Raiders will start the 2024 NRL season on the road against the Knights, before returning home in round two to take on the Wests Tigers, in what will be the opening match of the home season for the Green Machine.

It also promises to be a special afternoon on Sunday, April 28 when the Raiders host the Sharks in ANZAC round, with the club having the opportunity to host a match on one of the nation’s most important weekends.

Over the course of the regular season the Raiders will host six afternoon home NRL matches on Saturdays and Sundays in Canberra, giving young families plenty of chances to come along and experience the Viking Clap and the Raiders game day experience.

The NRLW draw was also released today, with the Raiders set to start their season on the road against the Tigers, before facing the reigning premiers Newcastle at home in round two.

The Raiders NRL and NRLW teams will feature in two home double headers in season 2024, on Saturday August 10 and Saturday August 24.

All up there will be 13 opportunities during the regular season for Raiders members and fans to experience a match at Canberra Stadium.

2024 Draw Highlights:

First NRL home game – Saturday March 16, 3.00pm v Tigers at Canberra Stadium
Raiders to host ANZAC round match against the Sharks
Blockbuster NRL home matches against the Panthers, Souths, Eels, Roosters and Manly
Six afternoon timeslots for NRL team over the course of the season
Two NRL/NRLW Double headers
Two standalone NRLW home fixtures against last years Grand finalists (Knights and Titans)
Magic Round home match for the first time

Canberra Raiders media release

FULL NRL DRAW: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 5#p1966175

FULL NRLW DRAW: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 7#p1966177

CANBERRA RAIDERS NRL DRAW

Round 1 Thursday, March 7: Knights v Raiders at Hunter Stadium, 8:00pm (Nine)
Round 2 Saturday, March 16: Raiders v Tigers at Canberra Stadium, 3:00pm
Round 3 Friday, March 22: Warriors v Raiders at Rugby League Park, Christchurch, 6:00pm
Round 4 Sunday, March 31: Sharks v Raiders at Shark Park, 6:15pm
Round 5 Sunday, April 7: Raiders v Eels at Canberra Stadium, 6:15pm
Round 6 Sunday, April 14: Raiders v Titans at Canberra Stadium, 6.15pm
Round 7 Saturday, April 20: Broncos v Raiders at Lang Park, 7.35pm
Round 8 Sunday, April 28: Raiders v Sharks at Canberra Stadium, 4:05pm (Nine)
Round 9 Friday, May 3: Sea Eagles v Raiders at Brookvale Oval, 6:00pm
Round 10 - Bye
Round 11 (Magic Round): Friday, May 17: Raiders v Bulldogs at Lang Park, 6:00pm (Home game taken away)
Round 12 Saturday, May 25: Raiders v Roosters at Canberra Stadium, 3:00pm
Round 13 Saturday, June 1: Dolphins v Raiders at TBA, 7:35pm
Round 14 - Bye
Round 15 Friday, June 14: Raiders v Cowboys at Canberra Stadium, 6:00pm
Round 16 Sunday, June 23: Tigers v Raiders at Campbelltown Stadium, 4:05pm (Nine)
Round 17 Saturday, June 29: Storm v Raiders at Melbourne Rectangular Stadium, 7:35pm
Round 18 Sunday, July 7: Raiders v Knights at Canberra Stadium, 4:05pm (Nine)
Round 19 - Bye
Round 20 Friday, July 19: Raiders v Warriors at Canberra Stadium, 8:00pm (Nine)
Round 21 Sunday, July 28: Raiders v Rabbitohs at Canberra Stadium, 6:15pm
Round 22 Sunday, August 4: Bulldogs v Raiders at Belmore Sports Ground, 4:05pm (Nine)
Round 23 Saturday, August 10: Raiders v Sea Eagles at Canberra Stadium, 3:00pm
Round 24 Saturday, August 17: Cowboys v Raiders at North Queensland Stadium, 5:30pm
Round 25 Saturday, August 24: Raiders v Panthers at Canberra Stadium, 3:00pm
Round 26 Sunday, September 1: Roosters v Raiders at Sydney Football Stadium, 4:05pm (NIne)
Round 27 Saturday, September 7: Dragons v Raiders at Kogarah Jubilee Stadium, 3:00pm

All NRL matches broadcast on Fox League

CANBERRA RAIDERS NRLW DRAW

Round 1 Sunday, July 28: Tigers v Raiders at Campbelltown Stadium, 1:45pm
Round 2 Saturday, August 3: Raiders v Knights at Canberra Stadium, 11:05am
Round 3 Saturday, August 10: Raiders v Sharks at Canberra Stadium, 12:45pm
Round 4 Saturday, August 17: Broncos v Raiders at Langlands Park, 11:05am
Round 5 Saturday, August 24: Raiders v Cowboys at Canberra Stadium, 12:45pm
Round 6 Sunday, August 31: Roosters v Raiders at Sydney Football Stadium, 6:10pm
Round 7 Saturday, September 7: Dragons v Raiders at Kogarah Jubilee Stadium, 12:45pm
Round 8 Sunday, September 15: Raiders v Eels at Canberra Stadium, 1:45pm
Round 9 Sunday, September 22: Raiders v Titans at Western Sydney Stadium, 1:30pm

All NRLW matches broadcast on Nine and Fox League

NRL draw revealed, Canberra Raiders learn 2024 opponents and schedule highlights: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Canberra Raiders double-headers locked in after 2024 NRLW draw drops: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Canberra Raiders NRL draw snapshot

Teams they play twice

Canberra will face the Sharks twice within the first eight rounds of the competition, while also getting two cracks at Wests Tigers, Sea Eagles, Bulldogs and Cowboys. Outside of Cronulla, the other 2023 top-eight sides they play twice are the Warriors, Knights and Roosters.

Teams they play once
The Raiders have the bonus of avoiding playing either of last year's grand finalists twice, while they'll also come up against the Eels, Titans, Dolphins, Storm, Rabbitohs and Dragons just once in 2024.

Seven games on FTA TV on Nine.

Day-by-day breakdown
Thursday: 1 game (0 home, 1 away)
Friday: 5 games (3 home, 2 away)
Saturday: 9 games (4 home, 5 away)
Sunday: 9 games (5 home, 4 away)

Turnaround time
5 days: 1 game
6 days: 5 games
7+ days: 17 games

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/11/13/can ... -snapshot/

Canberra Raiders NRLW draw snapshot

Day-by-day breakdown
Saturday: 5 games (3 home, 2 away)
Sunday: 4 games (2 home, 2 away)

Turnaround time
5 days: 0 games
6 days: 2 games
7 days: 4 games
8+ days: 1 game

NRL and NRLW doubleheaders

The Raiders will feature in five doubleheaders, four of which will be played with their NRL counterparts. Darrin Borthwick's side will feature in NRL doubleheaders at home in Rounds 3 and 5 before the men and women hit the road in Rounds 6 (Roosters) and 7 (Dragons) in two must watch clashes. The Raiders will close out their season in Round 9 as part of an NRLW doubleheader at Western Sydney Stadium.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/11/13/can ... -snapshot/

NRL draw 2024 released: Every club’s fixtures analysed and graded

RAIDERS

Luck of the draw: The Raiders have the luxury of taking on consecutive wooden spooners, the Wests Tigers twice; and other cellar dwellers Canterbury twice and the Sea Eagles twice in 2024. A total of the 12 games will be against last year’s bottom eight finishers and seven of those matches will be played in front of a home crowd at Canberra Stadium. Ricky Stuart’s men have also avoided playing Penrith, Storm and Broncos twice in 2024.

Banana peel: Canberra will start their 2024 campaign with five matches in the opening two months against top eight opponents from last season including the grand finalists Brisbane in round 7. Four of those five games will be away from home but will be at Canberra Stadium against the Tigers in round 2, Eels in Round 5 and Titans in Round 6. The Raiders will want to have a top eight spot sewn up before the back end of the season otherwise they’ll be forced to rely on wins against Penrith and the Roosters in Rounds 25 and 26.

Byes: 10, 14, 19

Grade: B

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 7c33de8d89

2024 NRL Premiership schedule released

The NRL today released the 2024 NRL Premiership schedule, featuring 204 regular season matches over 27 rounds, played across 28 venues and the first ever schedule to feature premiership matches across Australia, New Zealand and the United States.

The 2024 NRL Premiership kicks off on March 2 at Las Vega Stadium for the exciting Rugby League in Las Vegas double header featuring Manly Sea Eagles v South Sydney Rabbitohs and Sydney Roosters v Brisbane Broncos in the most anticipated premiership opener in the game’s history.

Round 1 will continue the following week with the Australian opener being the rematch of one of the great finals matches between the Newcastle Knights and Canberra Raiders, followed by Melbourne Storm hosting premiers Penrith Panthers on Friday night. Round 1 will also feature local rivalries Parramatta Eels v Canterbury Bulldogs on Saturday at Western Sydney Stadium and the Dolphins v North Queensland Cowboys on Sunday at Lang Park.

Round Two will feature the Broncos against the Rabbitohs on Thursday night at Lang Park, followed by the Western Sydney derby between the Panthers and the Eels on Friday night at Panthers Stadium.

The Grand Final rematch between the Panthers and the Broncos will open Round 3 on Thursday at Panthers Stadium, followed by the traditional rivalry between the Roosters and the Rabbitohs on Friday at Sydney Football Stadium.

Easter Weekend in Round 4 will feature the traditional Easter match ups including Rabbitohs v Bulldogs on Good Friday at Stadium Australia as well as the Eels hosting Wests Tigers on Easter Monday at Western Sydney Stadium. Good Friday will also include the classic Queensland rivalry between the Broncos and the Cowboys at Lang Park.

The Battle of Brisbane between Broncos and the Dolphins will highlight Round 6 in a clash on Friday at Lang Park.

The NRL Premiership themed rounds include Multicultural Round (Round 3), Anzac Round (Round 8), Magic Round (Round 11), Indigenous Round (Round 12), Beanie for Brain Cancer (Round 15) and Women in League Round (Round 22).

Multicultural Round will feature three matches in Western Sydney - Panthers Stadium on Thursday, Belmore Sports Ground on Saturday and Western Sydney Stadium on Sunday.

Anzac Round will include three special matches on Anzac Day itself, with matches in Auckland, Sydney and Melbourne.

Indigenous Round will include two highlight matches with the Rabbitohs hosting the Eels on Saturday, May 25 and Broncos hosting their local rivals the Titans on Sunday afternoon at Lang Park.

No team will have more than three five-day turnarounds and total five-day turnarounds have been reduced from 30 in 2023 to 26 in 2024.

“We have so much to look forward to in Season 2024,” NRL CEO Andrew Abdo said.

“For the first time ever, we also announce next season’s NRLW schedule alongside the NRL competition, empowering fans to plan for an entire season of witnessing their favourite teams, both male and female, in thrilling, unmissable on-field action.

“The Premiership kicks off a weekend early in Las Vegas giving fans an extra week of football and an enormous opportunity to launch the biggest season of Rugby League. The 2024 Premiership will be 32 weekends of football, packed with themed rounds, rivalries, excitement, and anticipation.

“The opening and closing rounds will have fans on the edge of their seats with big rivalry derbies and blockbuster match ups throughout.

NRL media release

2024 NRL Women's Premiership schedule released

The National Rugby League (NRL) has for the first time released the NRL Women’s Premiership (NRLW) schedule alongside the NRL schedule, empowering fans to plan for an entire season of witnessing their favourite teams, both male and female, in thrilling, unmissable on-field action.

The 2024 NRLW schedule continues the significant growth of the women’s game and the elite competition, featuring 45 matches played over nine rounds across 15 venues.

In 2024, every NRLW team will have four home crowd matches each guaranteeing that fans will see their team at home for half the season.

Highlights of the 2024 NRL Women’s Premiership Draw include:

A primetime season opener on Thursday, July 25 featuring Premiers Newcastle Knights and Sydney Roosters at Hunter Stadium.

Round 2 (Women in League Round) featuring an NRLW double header at the Sydney Football Stadium on Sunday, August 4 with Parramatta Eels playing Cronulla Sharks and Sydney Roosters facing Brisbane Broncos.

Five NRLW double headers scheduled at the Sydney Football Stadium (Round 2), Langlands Park (Round 3), Robina Stadium (Round 8), as well as North Queensland Stadium and Western Sydney Stadium (both Round 9).

16 NRLW-NRL (NRLW and NRL matches on same billing) double headers, six of which are like for like home and away match ups beginning with the Sharks’ NRLW / NRL teams up against the Knights NRLW /NRL teams at Shark Park in NRLW Round 4 / NRL Round 24.

The grand final rematch will take place in a NRLW double header at Robina Stadium with Gold Coast Titans hosting the Knights in Round 8.

Consecutive primetime Thursday night fixtures – the Wests Tigers v Dragons and the Sharks v Wests Tigers – to close out the regular season.

6.00pm Sunday fixtures extending supporters’ footy entertainment through to Sunday night throughout the NRLW season and the back end of the NRL season.

The NRLW Grand Final will be played on Sunday, October 6, together with the NRL Grand Final decider.

“The seventh NRLW Premiership in 2024 will see more matches played at club home venues and an exciting number of double headers for fans,” NRL CEO Andrew Abdo said. “More people watched the 2023 NRLW Premiership than ever before, and I have no doubt we will see a new record broken with new rivalries and new superstars emerging.

“For the first time ever, we have announced the NRL and NRLW schedules alongside each other providing clubs, players and fans to the unique opportunity to plan and immerse themselves in a season that unites the best of rugby league, showcasing the exception talent and dedication of our athletes.

“The schedule will include a balance of club NRL/NRLW double headers, NRLW double headers, and standalone NRLW fixtures aimed at maximising the opportunity for our full range of fans to experience the Premiership live or on broadcast across a range of markets.

“We’re excited to see the continued vibrant future for women in rugby league, with the elite athletes taking the field from 25 July inspiring the next generation of talent. With the continued year on year growth in female participation across our touch, tag and tackle formats, the future for women in the game is exciting and limitless.”

Every match of the season will be available for fans to watch on the Nine Network, Fox Sports and Kayo Sports.

NRL media release

2024 State of Origin series announced

The NRL today released the full schedule for the 2024 State of Origin series, which marks the biggest ever State of the Origin series in the game’s history including, for the first time, a three-match women’s State of Origin series.

The historic 2024 women’s series will kick off the 2024 State of Origin series with Game One on Thursday, May 16 at Lang Park. The second match will be at Hunter Stadium on Thursday, June 6.

As current holders of the Shield, Queensland will have the first opportunity to host the expanded series twice and defend their title in 2024 with the potential decider confirmed for Thursday, June 27 at Townsville’s North Queensland Stadium.

The men’s Origin series will begin at Sydney’s Stadium Australia on Wednesday, June 5, before a return to the Melbourne Cricket Ground on Wednesday, June 26, and closing the 2024 State of Origin series with a potential men’s decider at Brisbane’s Lang Park on Wednesday, July 17.

In the middle of the Origin action, the next generation of NRL and NRLW stars will be competing in the Under-19s State of Origin and Under-19’s Women’s State of Origin matches which returns to Leichhardt Oval on Thursday, June 20.

All matches of the men’s and women’s Origin series will be broadcast live and exclusive on the Nine Network, the U19’s State of Origin Matches will be broadcast live on both the Nine Network and on Fox Sports.

“The biggest sporting rivalry in the country will get even bigger in 2024,” NRL CEO Andrew Abdo said. “Three men’s games, for the first time three women’s games, and the continuation of the successful Under-19s matches will make 2024 the biggest in the history of State of Origin.

“The Commission has invested heavily and supported the growth of the women’s game and I am really pleased for fans and players that we now have a three match series. The women’s game will continue to grow and flourish.

“I’d like to thank all our partners who have supported the incredible year on year growth of the women’s game.”

Tickets are now available from $25 for adults and $70 for families for ticketed club members for the MCG State of Origin via nrl.com/tickets. Hospitality is available at nrl.com/hospitality. Tickets for the remaining men’s matches, as well as the women’s series and the Under-19s match, will go on sale at a later date.

Men's State of Origin series

Game One, Stadium Australia, Wednesday, June 5
Game Two, Melbourne Cricket Ground, Wednesday, June 26
Game Three, Lang Park, Wednesday, July 17

Women's State of Origin series
Game One, Lang Park, Thursday, May 16
Game Two, Hunter Stadium, Thursday, June 6
Game Three, North Queensland Stadium, Thursday, June 27

U/19's State of Origin series
U/19's Men's State of Origin, Leichhardt Oval, Thursday, June 20
U/19's Women's State of Origin, Leichhardt Oval, Thursday, June 20

NRL media release

VIDEO: NRL and NRLW draws explained: https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/11/13/the ... explained/

Canberra Raiders NRL draw: https://www.nrl.com/draw/?competition=1 ... eam=500013
Canberra Raiders NRLW draw: https://www.nrl.com/draw/?competition=1 ... eam=500785
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

NRL held firm on the Thursday game, holy ****

NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Looks like a decent draw. Tougher in the second half which should suit a developing side.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Hey, we got a Satd game in Sydney.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Looks like another soft draw on first glance, looking at some of the tough teams we only play against once

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

Way harder draw than this year. We will go 2-7 in the first 9....
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Sid wrote: November 13, 2023, 10:25 am Looks like another soft draw on first glance, looking at some of the tough teams we only play against once

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
Haven’t studied it too hard Sid but..

Penrith, Donkeys, Storm and Rabbitohs just once.

Warriors, Sharks, Roosters, Manly, Cows, Knights twice.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Teams play twice
Tigers
Sharks
Dogs
Roosters
Cowboys
Knights
Warriors
Sea Eagles

Teams play once
Eels
Titans
Rabbitohs
Panthers
Dragons
Dolphins
Broncos
Storm
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

Raiders in Christchurch!!! Looks like I'm back on the bandwagon for the first 3 weeks at least
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

SeeBee101 wrote: November 13, 2023, 10:29 am Way harder draw than this year. We will go 2-7 in the first 9....
I reckon we go at least 4-5
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

-TW- wrote: November 13, 2023, 10:07 am NRL held firm on the Thursday game, holy ****

Nah, they were unable to switch with the eels/dogs game because there is another event on at newcastle stadium on the Saturday night.
Shiv
Peter Jackson

Post by Shiv »

What does our Magic round look like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

6pm Friday vs the Bulldogs

kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Thats a Brilliant draw

based solely on the fact the Raiders vs Warriors in Christchurch in round 3!
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

The Daily Telegraph wrote:Verdict: Will play each top four side, including the Warriors twice, but a favourable draw with 12 games against bottom eight sides

Am I misreading that or does it imply we play each top 4 side twice? Because we only play Panthers Broncos Storm once
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Finchy wrote: November 13, 2023, 11:44 am
The Daily Telegraph wrote:Verdict: Will play each top four side, including the Warriors twice, but a favourable draw with 12 games against bottom eight sides

Am I misreading that or does it imply we play each top 4 side twice? Because we only play Panthers Broncos Storm once
They have it incorrect.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Botman wrote: November 9, 2023, 7:30 pm
greeneyed wrote: November 9, 2023, 7:05 pm
Botman wrote: November 9, 2023, 6:53 pm TBH i think thats entirely reasonable from the NRL and Nine
This will be their kick off and it'll be a big build up to that game as there is for every opening game... having that slot taken by two of the smallest markets does not make any sense. Week 4 or 12 or whatever, sure no biggie, but that's a huge spot for them, one of the biggest game on their slate. I know it wont be popular here, but ive got no issues with this.

Of course to the point of a previous post, id like the NRL to ask more of it's broadcast and media partners too. Fair for the NRL to rejig a draw to give Nine a game with bigger markets for their opening week TNF game... also fair for the NRL to ask that their broadcast partners present the game with a more professional broadcast cast product.
It's not the opening game, the opening games are being played in Las Vegas.
These novelty events are great and i fully support it... and yes technically those games kick start the season. So well done you!

Just as the Golden Bears and Rainbow Warriors "kicked off" a college football season playing in Sydney some years back... the novelty didnt stop broadcasters promoting their regularly scheduled games as the real kick off and building the hype around that kick off, nor will it stop nine.

First TNF game of the year, footy is really back. It's a big game. They quite rightly want big markets and not 2 of the smallest clubs in the comp. But i also understand this is not the forum to be arguing that this is pretty reasonable thing to do. So ill leave it there and let you all get angry about it :lol:
I get your point.

They'd rather Brisbane and Penrith.

But, the nrl decided to allow Canberra and Newcastle into the competition despite being "smaller markets".

I'd argue Sharks and Manly are even smaller.

When we were a powerhouse we had our fair share of fta games. Wr just need to start winning again.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Turns out it was all to do about nothing the NRL gave us the big game
Im sure it's an elaborate set up to screw us some other way... no way they just let us skate with this. Id wager the NRL big wigs are sitting in a room right now plotting our demise
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

What do we make of Magic Round being a home game?

Doesn't our current agreement with the ACT Government only allow a certain number of games to be taken away from Canberra in a 5 year period?

Clearly we have taken the cash on offer to be a home team for Magic Round rather than have 12 games at Canberra Stadium.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

They obviously have a lot of confidence in the Sun-corp stadium surface. Not only Magic Round but now they have added a 9th game (Womens state of origin) on the Thursday night. Provided the surface holds up, I think it is a brilliant curtain raiser.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The NRL (and Nine) had no choice. Hunter Stadium wasn't available on any other day that weekend due to some motor sports event.

I can't see why anyone (let alone Raiders fans) would question whether the NRL's policies explicitly favour teams in Sydney and Brisbane, in a range of areas. Broadcasting is one of them. The facts are there in the schedule, every year. It's OK to call them out on it. Because the NRL should be running a competition which is a level playing field.

And let's put that old chestnut to bed, about how the Raiders would get a better TV deal if they're winning. That's been disproven time and time again. Raiders on FTA in 2024, seven times, Broncos 13.

Then there's the fact that NRL officials have literally come to Canberra and said they wouldn't put a pin on the map in Canberra if they were selecting locations for NRL teams today. And they'd be happy enough if the Raiders withered on the vine.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Bay53 wrote: November 13, 2023, 12:24 pm What do we make of Magic Round being a home game?

Doesn't our current agreement with the ACT Government only allow a certain number of games to be taken away from Canberra in a 5 year period?

Clearly we have taken the cash on offer to be a home team for Magic Round rather than have 12 games at Canberra Stadium.
Doesn't look like we have a Wagga game this year so the number of home games at Canberra stadium should remain the same as last year.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Raiders play 3 of their first four games away from home and 3 of their last four games away from home. Here's hoping for a strong middle to the season. Byes in Rounds 10, 14 and 18 are reasonably well spaced for the mid season. I am disappointed we only play the benchmark Panthers once in the season and that is in Round 25. Bronco's once in Round 7 and Storm once in Round 17.