All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2023

Post by Botman »

Seiffert82 wrote: September 10, 2023, 6:20 am
Botman wrote:There are an endless supply of examples of players won’t don’t do things anything close to what Rapana does and they are valuable, useful and successful footballers. There many different shapes, sizes and styles of player in this game, of which Rapana is one and Savage is entirely another

He doesn’t need to play like Rapana to be successful. He needs to play his game to his strengths as a footballer.

Where you are correct is this coach does not IMO want players of Savage’s style. He wants them in Rapana’s style
And to that point if savage wants a future here he’s going to likely have to play a style that he isn’t suited to and thus will likely not succeed

The fact the coach has so few moulds of players he’s wanting to work with is an indictment on him, not the talent who don’t fit his mould in my view
Ok, well let's both look forward to Savage having a long and successful career elsewhere. You seem convinced it's just the head coach holding him back.

Pretty brave to compare Sav to Ponga and Papenhuyzen IMO, but there you go. Also a bit of selective memory regarding Rapana's game. What he achieved with his kicking game and raw speed exceeded the majority of wingers.
What I’m convinced of is that he’s talented and capable
More so than Kris at fullback and more so than Hoppa as a winger

I’ve been very clear that the reason I believe we needed to see more of him this year than we did is because the range of outcomes is very wide

And he shouldn’t need to mirror his game of to hit FG. He’s a different style of player.
The coach should be able to recognise where his strengths and weaknesses and find ways to Work with that.

Maybe Savage can’t handle nrl footy, maybe he’s **** and will never get those critical errors out of his game
the fact we don’t know anything more on that 12 months on for last year whilst Kris played most of the year at fullback and Hoppa played most of the year on the wing is honestly indefensible in my view.

Also I never mentioned either Papenhuyzen or Ponga in that post so I actually don’t know what the actual **** you’re even talking about, just outright making **** up :lol:
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

greeneyed wrote: September 9, 2023, 10:46 pm Interesting story in The DT about how Sam Burgess and Souths fell out… apparently his planned recruitment of Dominic Young was overruled by the coach. This is part of the story:

Burgess was on holiday on the Gold Coast when Souths paid the ­airfare for English winger Dominic Young to join him for dinner. Player managers Mario Tartak and Michael Cincotta, who look after Young, were there… plus a man known as ‘the art dealer’ – wealthy Souths fan Steve Nasteski, who has a history of financially supporting the club’s recruitment.

Burgess desperately wanted his fellow Englishman at Souths. Young had just had an outstanding World Cup for England, scoring nine tries in four games. All parties walked away confident a deal would be done.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 2b6eafab24

So if this is how third party deals are arranged at the Rabbitohs, how are any of them approved by the salary cap auditor?
This is my whole point regarding criticisms of our coaching/recruitment staff.

This sort of rubbish is what we are competing against. Souths have backers such as 'The art dealer', Mike Cannon-Brookes (one of top 5 richest people in the country) . Roosters have Politis, another billionaire as their chair. Storm have Matt Tripp, Broncos have a city of businesses behind them.

This stuff matters when you are trying to recruit players. When there is a dearth of halves and hookers in the NRL like there is now its not surprising who ends up landing the most sought after key position players. It's the club's with these backers - wheelers and dealers with extreme wealth and influence across society more broadly.

The only other option you have is to unearth players who others aren't looking at. I.e. from England. Or develop juniors. Both of which, we have had success with and are in the process of.

We don't have the luxury that other clubs do, yet we are still having a crack and building decent squads that are competing each year. This is why I'm for supporting the current staff at the club. They are doing well in the circumstances we are in. And, I think we're improving this off field too. It would be nice if Terry Snow was a rugby league man. Hopefully, Canberra's next billionaire is a Raiders fan. Until then, the path we're on is working very well considering our limted resources, appeal as a city and influence more broadly.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Bluesbrother wrote: September 10, 2023, 9:31 am
greeneyed wrote: September 9, 2023, 10:46 pm Interesting story in The DT about how Sam Burgess and Souths fell out… apparently his planned recruitment of Dominic Young was overruled by the coach. This is part of the story:

Burgess was on holiday on the Gold Coast when Souths paid the ­airfare for English winger Dominic Young to join him for dinner. Player managers Mario Tartak and Michael Cincotta, who look after Young, were there… plus a man known as ‘the art dealer’ – wealthy Souths fan Steve Nasteski, who has a history of financially supporting the club’s recruitment.

Burgess desperately wanted his fellow Englishman at Souths. Young had just had an outstanding World Cup for England, scoring nine tries in four games. All parties walked away confident a deal would be done.

So if this is how third party deals are arranged at the Rabbitohs, how are any of them approved by the salary cap auditor?

This sort of rubbish is what we are competing against. Souths have backers such as 'The art dealer', Mike Cannon-Brookes (one of top 5 richest people in the country) . Roosters have Politis, another billionaire as their chair. Storm have Matt Tripp, Broncos have a city of businesses behind them.

This stuff matters when you are trying to recruit players. When there is a dearth of halves and hookers in the NRL like there is now its not surprising who ends up landing the most sought after key position players. It's the club's with these backers - wheelers and dealers with extreme wealth and influence across society more broadly.

The only other option you have is to unearth players who others aren't looking at. I.e. from England. Or develop juniors. Both of which, we have had success with and are in the process of.

We don't have the luxury that other clubs do, yet we are still having a crack and building decent squads that are competing each year. This is why I'm for supporting the current staff at the club. They are doing well in the circumstances we are in. And, I think we're improving this off field too. It would be nice if Terry Snow was a rugby league man. Hopefully, Canberra's next billionaire is a Raiders fan. Until then, the path we're on is working very well considering our limted resources, appeal as a city and influence more broadly.
Accept this to a large degree except, it's no excuse to play boring dour football and crash ball attack. I'm losing interest personally. Look at how Angeball has invigorated Tottenham fans. It's not just about winning and losing
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Dragons are chasing Koloamatangi. He is a Mascot junior so it will make it tough.

Dragons’ ’significant play’ in three-way race for Souths’ Origin star: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... df285d875a
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Let the signings begin....
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Botman wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: September 10, 2023, 6:20 am
Botman wrote:There are an endless supply of examples of players won’t don’t do things anything close to what Rapana does and they are valuable, useful and successful footballers. There many different shapes, sizes and styles of player in this game, of which Rapana is one and Savage is entirely another

He doesn’t need to play like Rapana to be successful. He needs to play his game to his strengths as a footballer.

Where you are correct is this coach does not IMO want players of Savage’s style. He wants them in Rapana’s style
And to that point if savage wants a future here he’s going to likely have to play a style that he isn’t suited to and thus will likely not succeed

The fact the coach has so few moulds of players he’s wanting to work with is an indictment on him, not the talent who don’t fit his mould in my view
Ok, well let's both look forward to Savage having a long and successful career elsewhere. You seem convinced it's just the head coach holding him back.

Pretty brave to compare Sav to Ponga and Papenhuyzen IMO, but there you go. Also a bit of selective memory regarding Rapana's game. What he achieved with his kicking game and raw speed exceeded the majority of wingers.
What I’m convinced of is that he’s talented and capable
More so than Kris at fullback and more so than Hoppa as a winger

I’ve been very clear that the reason I believe we needed to see more of him this year than we did is because the range of outcomes is very wide

And he shouldn’t need to mirror his game of to hit FG. He’s a different style of player.
The coach should be able to recognise where his strengths and weaknesses and find ways to Work with that.

Maybe Savage can’t handle nrl footy, maybe he’s **** and will never get those critical errors out of his game
the fact we don’t know anything more on that 12 months on for last year whilst Kris played most of the year at fullback and Hoppa played most of the year on the wing is honestly indefensible in my view.

Also I never mentioned either Papenhuyzen or Ponga in that post so I actually don’t know what the actual **** you’re even talking about, just outright making **** up Image
Yep, sorry that comparison was from Canberra Milk.

I too think Savage would have been a better option than Kris at FB. That's not the issue I'm questioning.

Anyways, broken record and all that. I really appreciate your take on things but it's probably best I take some responsibility for some of these interactions turning into something that seems a bit more personal and leave it all at that. Image

Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Bluesbrother wrote: September 10, 2023, 9:31 am

Can we have a Go Fund Me account to be a third-party sponsor? 20,000 fans x $20 is $400,000. We could do some damage in the player recruitment market with that kind of money.

I'm happy to be the front man who goes on trips to the Gold Coast for chats with players and their agents. Please refer to me as 'the Consigliere'.
NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

Ruben Daley wrote: September 11, 2023, 10:27 am
Can we have a Go Fund Me account to be a third-party sponsor? 20,000 fans x $20 is $400,000. We could do some damage in the player recruitment market with that kind of money.

I'm happy to be the front man who goes on trips to the Gold Coast for chats with players and their agents. Please refer to me as 'the Consigliere'.
It was tried by a supporters group before and the NRL blocked it. Eels I think.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

NoMan wrote: September 11, 2023, 11:32 am

Really? I never knew that.

Good to hear the NRL is clamping down on serious breaches of the salary cap like that. They are definitely prioritising the big issues.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ruben Daley wrote: September 11, 2023, 12:31 pm
NoMan wrote: September 11, 2023, 11:32 am

Really? I never knew that.

Good to hear the NRL is clamping down on serious breaches of the salary cap like that. They are definitely prioritising the big issues.
But if you’re “the art dealer’ it’s OK.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

If we fund an art dealer to act on our behalf we’re clear right?
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Print out a haiku. Throw some paint at it. Frame it. Sign Ponga.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

zim wrote: September 12, 2023, 1:52 pm Print out a haiku. Throw some paint at it. Frame it. Sign Ponga.
Raiders strengthening
Optimism for the fall
Dealers contribute
creevy
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: chris osullivan

Post by creevy »

Art Vandelay
Gerry De La Cruz
deanoman
Brett Mullins

Post by deanoman »

And you want to be my latex salesman
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I like the look of Siua Wong from the Roosters as an edge forward. Played centre as well last week when Manu was injured. Looks like a good athlete and can play middle as well. He is off contract in 2024, meaning we can make an offer post November. Likewise with Sitili Tupouniua. They have the Butcher brothers but Crichton may go to rugby.

Brendan Piakura is also off contract in 2024. Surely Walsh will command in excess of $900K and they need to resign Reynolds and Mam.

Possible options other than Keaon and Kulikefu Finefeuiaki/Luki/Luciano
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Wong has been getting big wraps on Sydney media

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Wong has been a big part of the Roosters plans for a long time I can’t see Uncle Nick letting him leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 13, 2023, 11:56 pm I like the look of Siua Wong from the Roosters as an edge forward. Played centre as well last week when Manu was injured. Looks like a good athlete and can play middle as well. He is off contract in 2024, meaning we can make an offer post November. Likewise with Sitili Tupouniua. They have the Butcher brothers but Crichton may go to rugby.

Brendan Piakura is also off contract in 2024. Surely Walsh will command in excess of $900K and they need to resign Reynolds and Mam.

I hope to god our recruitment officer looks at this page. Please get some of these guys. Actual first graders not just potential!
NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

So I guess its effectively a top 34 now.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

bonehead wrote: September 14, 2023, 9:10 am Wong has been getting big wraps on Sydney media

Yep, which disqualifies us basically
Westsydneyraider
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Westsydneyraider »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 13, 2023, 11:56 pm I like the look of Siua Wong from the Roosters as an edge forward. Played centre as well last week when Manu was injured. Looks like a good athlete and can play middle as well. He is off contract in 2024, meaning we can make an offer post November. Likewise with Sitili Tupouniua. They have the Butcher brothers but Crichton may go to rugby.

If Tupounniua is still unsigned for 24 come November 1 then the raiders should atleast ask the question.
He’s had a bad run of injuries recently but has huge ceiling IMO
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Westsydneyraider wrote: September 14, 2023, 3:28 pm

If Tupounniua is still unsigned for 24 come November 1 then the raiders should atleast ask the question.
Yup. Worth asking the Q
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Matt wrote: September 14, 2023, 8:12 pm

Yup. Worth asking the Q
Wong reported to be on 180k. Surely we could triple that and be OK.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Have a crack at Sandon Smith
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Bluesbrother wrote: September 15, 2023, 9:15 pm
Matt wrote: September 14, 2023, 8:12 pm

Yup. Worth asking the Q
Wong reported to be on 180k. Surely we could triple that and be OK.
I'd be very ok with that. Not off contract til end of next yr
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Bluesbrother wrote: September 15, 2023, 9:23 pm Have a crack at Sandon Smith
Looks like he's signed til after 2025
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Matt wrote:
BB has greenhouse but not google

Edrick The Entertainer
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

bonehead wrote: September 16, 2023, 7:33 am
Matt wrote:
BB has greenhouse but not google

Haha we all know thier status as signed or unsigned is not a roadblock. We've demonstrated we cab get players on contract out early in the past and I'd suggest we will need to do it again to get someone quality.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Whoever we are targetting for our 2nd row spot for 2025 (I still hope it is Finefeuiaki, he is my preference) I really hope we can shake him loose for 2024. Way too thin there going into next season (as everyone knows) unless Kris gets moved around again and there are thoughts of playing him as an edge forward? Would rather see him have a full year in his preferred left centre spot however, as I'm sure the majority of us would.
NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

I really hope Kris stays at Center. He wasn’t great at Wing or Fullback, I don’t think they need to try a 4th position.

Plus with EW and Young around he would have to play limited games or minutes which is criminal for a guy who is one of the best players in the team.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Raiders player signing speculation 2023

Post by gangrenous »

zim wrote: September 12, 2023, 1:52 pm Print out a haiku. Throw some paint at it. Frame it. Sign Ponga.
Print out a haiku
Throw some paint at it, frame it
Sign Kalyn Ponga
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

Wishart from the Storm interests me. Haven't seen a lot of him, but every time I do he impressed me. Not sure of his contract status. Not sure if he just looks good in the Melbourne system. Has anyone else on here seen much of him?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

magoo wrote: September 16, 2023, 2:02 pm Wishart from the Storm interests me. Haven't seen a lot of him, but every time I do he impressed me. Not sure of his contract status. Not sure if he just looks good in the Melbourne system. Has anyone else on here seen much of him?
Seems to be a Jack or all trades, master of none type guy. So a perfect utility type. Not sure we are in the market for 1 of those
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Crossland in sights of Kiwis

Born in New Zealand before moving to Australia, Phoenix Crossland has the unique choice to play for either nation in the future. New Zealand Kiwis coach Michael Maguire has disclosed that Crossland is well in the sights of making the national team.

“Phoenix is definitely in our sights,” Maguire said. “I have some staff at Newcastle who are part of the Kiwis, including Matty Jay, who is their strength and conditioning guy, and he can't rave about Phoenix enough.

Read more: https://www.zerotackle.com/crossland-re ... ey-162456/

Interesting quotes from Maguire here about having Pheonix Crossland in his sights for the Kiwi's. I wonder if he's also got him in his sights for the Raiders. Would be a good signing for us.