Knights 13+
55%

Total votes: 11

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: 2023 Rd 22 v Knights: Game Day

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

julian87 wrote: July 29, 2023, 8:38 pm I’ll admit I turned it off at half time to actually enjoy punting on the last few races of the day.

If I’m being honest I knew it was happening and didn’t have one iota of care.

Across the 17 that represented that represented Canberra today the only players that are genuine first graders are:

Rapana
Timoko
Kris (if he plays centre)
Wighton
Papalii
Tapine
Young
Horsburgh (as a prop)

Guler
Mariota

I like Woolford and he’s a good player on 250k or so but is ultimately a career reserve grader.

Everyone else in the 17 is either a flat out reserve grade standard player or fringe first grade at best.

And this includes Jamal Fogarty. This is the one that is an absolute joke. He’s received thank you threads on this forum because at the age of 30 he learnt how to kick. I mean ducking seriously. Can’t defend. Can’t ball play. Can’t straighten the attack. Can’t game manage. And he gets thank you threads because we’ve beaten bad teams. it will honestly do me. Canberra have the worst attack in the competition and the halfback gets a free pass because he’s started to kick ok. Jesus.

Footnote: this is not on Fogarty. It is on the club and it’s inept coaching, roster management and everything football. If Stuart coaches a Sydney team he’d have already been sacked.

The softness of so many fans and what is deemed ok has just completely alienated me this year to the point where I am apathetic. And that sucks. This year has been the biggest joke of a team I’ve seen since we had the likes of Geoff McNamara on the wing.
This deserves a reply. I largely agree with you. I would add the following:

- we have largely been injury free. Also a very favourable draw, and playing teams with good players out during SOO. Imagine if we had injuries or an unfavourable draw.
- the attack has been bad since 2019: in previous years we were very reliant on Jack and it doesn't help that our most highly paid player hasn't been playing well for most of the season. There's no shape to our attack.
- not only has Jack been bad, but the situation has been exacerbated by having Kris instead of Savage at fullback - the guy doesn't know how to chime in and link in a backline movement and put defences in doubt like what Savage did. Also last year we didn't have Croker in the team. I noticed in the last two weeks Jack didn't even pass the ball to Croker much.
- Cotric last year was an upgrade on Hoppa.
- we aren't an athletic team but this is on Stuart. We are a lazy team. Our line speed is never good. Today and last week we just let teams roll downfield and get an attacking kick away on tackle 5.
- we knew what we were getting with the Fog - not a superstar. Sezer was inconsistent and frustrating in his years with us. G Williams was also inconsistent but at least had pace.
- this is all on Stuart though. He selects the team and recruits for the team. In the last 3 years, the likes of Tom Dearden when he was at Brisbane, Metcalf when he was at Cronulla, Hammer when he was at Cowboys, Api and Mahoney - were all available. No chance of signing Dylan Brown or Fifita when they were off contract as well. Good players don't want to join us. And Stuart doesn't like playing the flair and risky players such as Savage and Hammer. If Reece Walsh was with us he would still be in NSW Cup.
- we are the worst team in converting points with the amount of possession in the 20 m zone. Also the worst team in playing against 12 men when our opposition has someone in the sin bin. Why is that ? It's all on Stuart.
- Stuart has had enough time. Hodgson gone and retired, Wighton leaving, Croker and Whitehead no longer FG standard, CNK and Joey gone. It's time that he goes as well. He has run out of ideas and there's only so much of trying hard and being in a grinding battle can do for us. It's time for a new voice and new ideas.
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

Any changes to the run on side or any new players next year will mean nought while Stuart is coach. He is a complete joke and continuing to select Croker, Whitehead and a couple of others just confirms his lack of vision!
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

Any changes to the run on side or any new players next year will mean nought while Stuart is coach. He is a complete joke and continuing to select Croker, Whitehead and a couple of others just confirms his lack of vision!
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:Hudson Young has been NSW Cup quality recently.
Ouch. Hit him again, Rog!
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Finchy wrote: July 29, 2023, 9:45 pm
mikeraider wrote: July 29, 2023, 9:41 pm I like to see a mark key player signed in Jack postion and money, come to the side and breath some fresh air into a side as stale as a tin of arnnots biscuits left in cupboard for a year after its used by date.
Can Mark Key play five eighth?
He lacks intestinal fortitude
Yap
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Dave Leave Nothing In The Tank Shillington

Post by Yap »

GreenMachine wrote: July 30, 2023, 6:35 am
mikeraider wrote: July 29, 2023, 9:41 pm I like to see a mark key player signed in Jack postion and money, come to the side and breath some fresh air into a side as stale as a tin of arnnots biscuits left in cupboard for a year after its used by date.
When ever I have seen him play, I always get the feeling that he leaves nothing in the tank
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Rickmando wrote:
Finchy wrote: July 29, 2023, 8:42 pm
mikeraider wrote: July 29, 2023, 8:39 pm Here is why I am absolutely livered with raiders effort today.
1. No energy, or imagination whilst playing at home In front of your adoring fans.
2. No fight back, players like Young, Jack, Fog, all missing in action, or making constant errors.
3. Presser Ricky saying it's been grinding 3 months from the boys. ( is he saying there tried after more byes on record)
It's time to bring fresh legs, energy, like Crotic savage, etc agreed the girls made us look like they could beat us
I’m not just livered, I’m completely appendixed!
I was completely boweled over myself
I pancre-ased watching them any more
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Dr Zaius wrote: July 30, 2023, 7:08 am
Rickmando wrote:
mikeraider wrote: July 29, 2023, 8:39 pm Here is why I am absolutely livered with raiders effort today.
1. No energy, or imagination whilst playing at home In front of your adoring fans.
2. No fight back, players like Young, Jack, Fog, all missing in action, or making constant errors.
3. Presser Ricky saying it's been grinding 3 months from the boys. ( is he saying there tried after more byes on record)
It's time to bring fresh legs, energy, like Crotic savage, etc agreed the girls made us look like they could beat us
I reckon. Two losses in a row, watch us drop out of the top 8 and slide down the b-ladder
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Rickmando wrote:
I blame that coach who wouldn't know his ass from his elbowel.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

BadnMean wrote: July 30, 2023, 7:44 am
Rickmando wrote:
I blame that coach who wouldn't know his ass from his elbowel.
Yep
We need to get a coach in here who nose what he’s doing
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

It’s a lung road back from here
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yap wrote: July 30, 2023, 6:57 am
GreenMachine wrote: July 30, 2023, 6:35 am
When ever I have seen him play, I always get the feeling that he leaves nothing in the tank
Mark Key is a really young player. And I saw him play nsw cup the other week and he was pretty happy after the game, which was good to see.
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

Ricky is not leaving, may as well just accept that now

Sent from my SM-A736B using Tapatalk

mikeraider
Brett Mullins

Post by mikeraider »

Green_Hammock wrote: July 30, 2023, 8:46 am Ricky is not leaving, may as well just accept that now

I agree you wont get rid of him, as they say its better the devil you known then ......someone worse.
Canberra Raiders supporter though thick and thin from the very beginning.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

mikeraider wrote: July 30, 2023, 9:17 am
Green_Hammock wrote: July 30, 2023, 8:46 am Ricky is not leaving, may as well just accept that now

I agree you wont get rid of him, as they say its better the devil you known then ......someone worse.
Trevor Schodel?
mikeraider
Brett Mullins

Post by mikeraider »

And yes, I did give myself the liberty of a few drinks after day where even Ricky even admitted "it was a bad day"

Looking at ladder the sharks did us a favour getting beaten by Penrith being 6th on the NRL ladder, so we keep 5th for now.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

When you play brawlerball grindball, there's one one way to win or lose: you win through effort and intensity, and you lose because a lack of it

All these comments of "lazy", "heartless" etc just miss the point. Rugby league is not just a game of motivation, where the one who wants it most wins. It's incredible how prevalent that viewpoint is though. Any loss at all = "didn't want it enough", as if we're not fundamentally weak in a number of areas
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

mikeraider wrote: July 30, 2023, 9:27 am And yes, I did give myself the liberty of a few drinks after day where even Ricky even admitted "it was a bad day"

Looking at ladder the sharks did us a favour getting beaten by Penrith being 6th on the NRL ladder, so we keep 5th for now.
Cowboys will jump us today, then souths will jump us next week when we lose to the tigers
Dr Greenthumb
David Grant
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Dr Greenthumb »

Word on the street is most of the team had some sort of virus from the plane trip back from NZ. Would explain the awful kick chases and not diving on loose balls. Obviously doesn’t excuse the issues that we’ve had all season but makes yesterday a little bit easier to swallow….
mikeraider
Brett Mullins

Post by mikeraider »

Dr Greenthumb wrote: July 30, 2023, 9:59 am Word on the street is most of the team had some sort of virus from the plane trip back from NZ. Would explain the awful kick chases and not diving on loose balls. Obviously doesn’t excuse the issues that we’ve had all season but makes yesterday a little bit easier to swallow….
Wow man I wouldn't be giving our side any excuses in here, they will eat up alive and send you to the equivalent of the forum sinbin. :roflmao
Dr Greenthumb
David Grant

Post by Dr Greenthumb »

mikeraider wrote: July 30, 2023, 10:04 am
Dr Greenthumb wrote: July 30, 2023, 9:59 am Word on the street is most of the team had some sort of virus from the plane trip back from NZ. Would explain the awful kick chases and not diving on loose balls. Obviously doesn’t excuse the issues that we’ve had all season but makes yesterday a little bit easier to swallow….
Wow man I wouldn't be giving our side any excuses in here, they will eat up alive and send you to the equivalent of the forum sinbin. :roflmao
Dangerous I know! Even though the team is plagued with issues, competing is one thing we’ve done well this year. Lack of effort in such an important game was the last thing I expected from us. Would explain things like Young playing by far the worst game of his career (if he was one of the sick ones).
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

If Ricky left or wete sacked the first in line would be Madge, then Croker
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

It's bad enough having Madge as an assistant. I don't want him as FG coach
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 29, 2023, 10:30 pm
Botman wrote: July 29, 2023, 9:46 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 29, 2023, 9:27 pm Hudson Young has been NSW Cup quality recently. I just don't really see an end game for him being a quality NRL second rower week in and week out. He runs around like a headless chook and defends at an average level. He scores a lot of opportunist tries which makes him valuable for us, but for a successful side that value evaporates as they tend to rely on set plays to score points.

I think he has a place as a benchie, I also wouldn't mind seeing him given a run at lock.
|
.... *homer disppears into hedge.gif
:lol:
I find him a highly frustrating player as he seems to have plenty of talent. There just doesn't seem to be any gameplan as to how he plays. Just go out there and try hard is it. Sums the 2021-23 Raiders up.
Hang on…take a step back for a minute.

We have established that our whole team has no game plan. They have no attack. No set plays. No direction.

Can we accept that Hudson Young is either following a direction from Ricky to play without a plan (like the rest of them) or he’s going rogue (when he plays off the cuff) in showing glimpses of attacking spark?

The poor bloke has only even been coached by Ricky Stuart (Fittler x 2 games).

He would be one of the best 2nd rowers in the game if he was playing on Souths left side.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

This but the Raiders instead of Phillies
Greentothecore
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Greentothecore »

Raiders 23 is an anomaly. A team playing poorly who just happened to win a bunch of close games and this resulted in a position on the ladder which does not fairly represent thier actual performance.
The only game they actually played well in was the Broncos
I think Fogarty has been improving. plays maybe one bad game in 4
Tomoko has also improved maybe one bad game in 5
Horsborough is maybe 1 really good game every 5

The rest?
Wighton did us a massive favour knocking back 1.2x 4 years.
very poor
Whitehead and Crocker are good clubmen about 2 years past thier use by

Rickyball is so far away from what good teams do, that our position is a strange anomoly
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Greentothecore wrote:Raiders 23 is an anomaly. A team playing poorly who just happened to win a bunch of close games and this resulted in a position on the ladder which does not fairly represent thier actual performance.
The only game they actually played well in was the Broncos
I think Fogarty has been improving. plays maybe one bad game in 4
Tomoko has also improved maybe one bad game in 5
Horsborough is maybe 1 really good game every 5

The rest?
Wighton did us a massive favour knocking back 1.2x 4 years.
very poor
Whitehead and Crocker are good clubmen about 2 years past thier use by

Rickyball is so far away from what good teams do, that our position is a strange anomoly
Rickyball is high floor, low ceiling. It is safe, but ultimately uninspiring.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

I’ve always said this theory that Jack saved us by turning down a million dollar deal would only be proven depending on what we do next.

When we lost Hodgo, I thought the time was right and he was on a downward slide. Which has proven to be correct, but.., we replaced a genuine elite spine player with 2-3 average players, loosing one of our only points of attack.

I also think Jack has peaked, and am not heartbroken he’s going, but at this stage it seems he is being replaced by either Frawley or a cup half. So we lose our last remaking elite spine player and don’t replace like for like.

As it stands, with our fearless leaders high valuation of blokes who try hard, we are very likely to go into next year with a spine of:

1. Kris
6. Frawley
7. Fogarty
9/14. Levi/Starling.

The only spine in the comp for ‘24 even close to that level of spud-ness is the tigers.

and when you realise in the last 2 off-seasons we have lost a million dollar hooker, and million dollar 6, that’s completely inexcusable.
mikeraider
Brett Mullins

Post by mikeraider »

woppadingo wrote: July 30, 2023, 10:44 am

If Ricky left or wete sacked the first in line would be Madge, then Croker
How do know if Croker wouldn't make a good coach, he has had a excellent career?
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

I heard the same thing, but not through the word on the street; it was whispers in the corridors.
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

It would make sense if they had a virus. It looked like the coaching staff overloaded their training. Guys were doing very little and looking pretty gassed.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Begbie wrote: July 30, 2023, 1:49 pm
I heard the same thing, but not through the word on the street; it was whispers in the corridors.
I too heard this, but not through whispers in the corridors; it was scuttlebutt around the water cooler
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I also heard this but it was a normal conversation in terms of volume and was had outdoors
Last edited by Botman on July 30, 2023, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I heard the players wore lead socks during the game.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The Greenhouse wrote: July 29, 2023, 5:06 pm MATCH REPORT: Kalyn Ponga-inspired Newcastle Knights hand Canberra Raiders yet another home thrashing

When the Canberra Raiders lose at home, they don't do things by halves. All four of their losses at Canberra Stadium this season have been by at least 22 points, their latest a 28-6 thrashing by the Newcastle Knights on Saturday. They've also been beaten by Penrith (41 points), Manly (28) and the New Zealand Warriors (22) at home this season. Despite having a 5-4 winning home record, it's why their points differential now sits at -78.

NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS 28 (Kalyn Ponga, Greg Marzhew, Dominic Young, Tyson Gamble tries; Ponga 6 goals) defeated CANBERRA RAIDERS 6 (Jordan Rapana try; Jarrod Croker goal) at Canberra Stadium. Referee: Adam Gee. Crowd: 15,487

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Is Chevy Stewart in line for debut if Seb Kris faces suspension for Kalyn Ponga collision? https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

MATCH HIGHLIGHTS: Raiders v Knights: https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/07/29/can ... ighlights/

MATCH REPORT: Knights continue rise up the ladder with rout of Raiders: https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/07/29/kni ... f-raiders/

MATCH REPORT: Knights too strong as they defeat Raiders: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2023/07 ... t-raiders/

Ponga stars, overcomes scare as Knights record fourth-straight win over a lacklustre Raiders outfit: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ccdbac7cc8

PRESS CONFERENCES: Raiders v Knights: https://www.nrl.com/watch/matches/telst ... d-22-2023/

GALLERY: Raiders v Knights: https://www.gettyimages.com.au/photos/c ... =775934265
So tell me Ricky, if it wasn't 'us' out there, who were those imposters?? Who coaches them again??