Dragons 13+
15%

Total votes: 13

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Re: 2023 Rd 19 v Dragons: Game Day

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Botman wrote: July 7, 2023, 10:05 pm If are intent on playing Croker... we can not pair him with Hoppa.
I dont actually even care enough anymore about run metres. Its not enough to overcome...This duo turned an easy win into a tight game because they're not FG players. Enough already
This game is played both ways and running metres can not be the only metric we use for a winger

The dragons got back into a game we should have won by plenty by finding Wally

Wally = Croker-Hoppa... the slowest, least athletic edege in the league.
The problem is also Croker running 43m tonight. If you put him and Cotric together we'd be battling to get 150m out of our left edge. In a nutshell, Croker doesn't do anything on the attacking side of the ball to make up for his defensive dramas. It's just a selection that lacks common sense, you can't really cover a selection when logic has gone out the window.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

52 meters - again Croker the least meters of our back 5. That is every game this year. If it wasn’t for his rock solid defence!
mikeraider
Brett Mullins

Post by mikeraider »

Bring back Crotric for the left-hand side wing, that will answer DEFENCE efforts
Canberra Raiders supporter though thick and thin from the very beginning.
Bigcheese
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: The Volcano

Post by Bigcheese »

Good win, have a nice weekend guys, especially you crabslord, sounds like you need a relaxing one.

For all the punters, there’s a clear strategy to follow with the Raiders, of when to bet, when not to and the margin. The easiest team to make money on.
Colk
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

Northern Raider wrote: July 7, 2023, 10:09 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: July 7, 2023, 10:05 pm
Canberra Milk wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: July 7, 2023, 9:55 pm Croker obviously won't lose his spot, but he is an absolute liability out there.

We simply can't contend with him in that position in defence.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
So Sticky will scapegoat Hoppa. I can't see them both being there again

Unless he just switches wingers again. Maybe. I don't think so
It would be so unfair.

He obviously switched Hopoate and Rapana in the end and hooked Frawley, but that was all done to cover for Croker.

9 missed tackles from Croker and 6 from Frawley, but it was the drop from Croker and being bundled into touch which also killed us.

We absolutely should have won that by 30+. The Dragons were hopeless.

There's no changes to be made unless he brings back Cotric. Nobody else to bring in now Savage is injured. Our backline is set, for better or worse.

Which is so ridiculous. We essentially have no pace in our backline bar Timoko yet we have one of the fastest players rotting away in reserve grade who is now injured.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

BTW how slow and regularly out of position was the commentary side touch judge?

A few of those Dragons forward passes should have been easily picked up by a touchie in proper position.
Seamonkey
Glenn Lazarus

Post by Seamonkey »

That interview felt like Ricky was finally close to admitting there are players not up to first grade
If you can accept losing, you cannot win.

Winning is not everything, but wanting to win is

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: July 7, 2023, 9:57 pm I can't write off an entire team after a game like that.

It was impatience in attack (somewhat understandable) combined with two players being absolutely destroyed in defence.

The lack of composure in attack was disappointing. If we can't convert our half chances against the Dragons then how are we going to in September.
Yep, they got ahead of themselves for sure.

The Rapana drop and bad pass from Mooney were highlights, plus a few bad kicks to end sets.

I thought Fogarty was great and Timoko outstanding. Even Whitehead was good with the ball.

mikeraider
Brett Mullins

Post by mikeraider »

Looking at Rapana he has tape all over the top half of his body keeping it together, that's effort.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

The post game analysis is rightly resembling a post mortem about us and how we are as a team, despite the win.

Ricky sounds a bit clueless about how to fix it. Which shouldn’t surprise anyone seeing as it has gone on so long.
Up The Milk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Colk wrote: July 7, 2023, 10:09 pm
Botman wrote: July 7, 2023, 10:05 pm If are intent on playing Croker... we can not pair him with Hoppa.
I dont actually even care enough anymore about run metres. Its not enough to overcome...This duo turned an easy win into a tight game because they're not FG players. Enough already
This game is played both ways and running metres can not be the only metric we use for a winger

We should not be intent to play Croker though. That is the problem. In any case, is there any other option but Cotric?
No we should not
But we are

Next best IMO is Asomua
Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Raider of d Lost Ark »

mikeraider wrote:Bring back Crotric for the left-hand side wing, that will answer DEFENCE efforts
Would love to see….
1. Savage
2. Cotric
3. Kris
4. Timoko
5. Rapana

Speed and size in those 5 players

Unfortunately due to injury and blind loyalty this won’t happen. What a waste
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Christ, what a bludger of a game
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

Greenev wrote: July 7, 2023, 10:09 pm Jesus Croker was bad, Hoppa nearly as bad
Timoko immense Tapine great mooney impressive
Yeah Mooney and Timoko are the only positives really. Tapine was very good but he is always very good.

Mariota didn’t get enough game time for me.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Did I see that Morkos played wing today in Cup? He's a future NRL player comfortably so would be happy to see him sooner or later
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Well we got the 2 competition points but our left side defence was park competition stuff. Jack had to be put back into the 5/8 spot and Rapa moved to the left wing where I really thought he would start the game, particularly after all that talk last year that Rapa preferred the left and he had a physical challenge against Ravalawa. Instead we allowed the Dragons back into the game with some inept, unenthusiastic, I'm waiting on the bye, defence. All the players would be carrying injury at this point in the season but that does not excuse the sheer lack of apparent effort.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Biggest win of the season!

Possession and momentum got us back-pedalling in the second half particularly as we were skinny in the middle.
Let’s not get carried away. Papa; Horse back next round. Back to reliable inside defensive lines, which I think was biggest issue with Frawley; Croker; Hoppa. Don’t underestimate the disruption of wighton not defending 6.

Two points; know how to win and to stop momentum when it counts. Let’s hope they can step it up when it counts as finals footy is a very different kettle of fish and much more grindball than flashy
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Agree re Croker (and Hoppa, though feel sorry for him given the two inside him). Croker's deficiencies were really highlighted with Frawley inside him.

Even still, we can chalk up another win for Frawley when starting at 5/8. How good
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

MATCH REPORT: Canberra Raiders hold on for 36-26 win over Dragons

Canberra have withstood a Junior Amone-inspired comeback from spirited St George Illawarra, scoring a 36-26 victory and maintaining their reputation as the NRL’s most chaotic winners. The Raiders cruised to a 24-6 halftime lead on Friday night by exploiting the Dragons’ notoriously leaky left edge, Matt Timoko starring for Canberra at WIN Stadium.

But just as Canberra looked ready to kick their habit of only triumphing by single digits, Amone helped the Dragons pile on three tries in seven minutes, defying the absence of disgruntled State of Origin representative Ben Hunt.

Read more: https://canberraweekly.com.au/raiders-h ... r-dragons/

MATCH REPORT: Canberra Raiders joint ladder-leaders after beating Dragons but Ricky Stuart concerned with late fades

The Canberra Raiders left Wollongong with a win, fans with few fingernails left, and coach Ricky Stuart unhappy after a nervy finish against the struggling Dragons.

"We should have put them away. To say I'm disappointed in that second half is an understatement," Stuart said. "I'm getting sick of it and I'm frustrated we're letting other teams in the game. It's just not good enough. I don't want to be that team that lets teams back into the game."

CANBERRA RAIDERS 36 (Jordan Rapana, Joseph Tapine, Matt Frawley, Sebastian Kris, Matthew Timoko 2 tries; Jarrod Croker 6 goals) defeated ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS 26 (Mikaele Ravalawa 3, Zac Lomax 2 tries; Zac Lomax 3 goals) at Wollongong

Read more:https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... rs-switch/

Canberra Raiders tease Whitehead with sensational Ashes try celebration

The Canberra Raiders produced the try celebration of the year in a cheeky crack at English cricket, with Elliott Whitehead playing a starring role. Whitehead took on the part of England batsman Jonny Bairstow in the now-infamous moment in the second Ashes Test at Lord's earlier this week, while Zac Woolford was Australian wicketkeeper Alex Carey.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Ricky Stuart shifts Jack Wighton in pre-game switch

In a surprise move, Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart shuffled the deck right before kick-off against the St George Illawarra Dragons. Prior to the Friday night game at Wollongong, Stuart shifted Jack Wighton from five-eighth to lock, with 18th man Matt Frawley moved to the halves alongside Jamal Fogarty.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14329

MATCH REPORT: Canberra Raiders fire early before denying a late Dragons comeback: https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/07/07/rai ... -comeback/

MATCH REPORT: Raiders survive late Dragons surge claiming third win in a row: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2023/07 ... -in-a-row/

Raiders survive second-half scare from spirited Dragons: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 9ce30c1e90

Raiders re-create Bairstow Ashes furore as hilarious try celebration goes viral instantly: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 7331fde3ab

PRESS CONFERENCES: Raiders v Dragons: https://www.nrl.com/watch/matches/telst ... d-19-2023/

GALLERY: Raiders v Dragons: https://www.gettyimages.com.au/photos/c ... &sort=best
Last edited by The Greenhouse on July 7, 2023, 10:40 pm, edited 6 times in total.
The Greenhouse score update service
Dimes
Peter Jackson

Post by Dimes »

Just like to remind everyone we won

It was ugly as hell. But we won

If we can plug the defensive problems - doable - we can win less ugly
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

Botman wrote: July 7, 2023, 10:13 pm
Colk wrote: July 7, 2023, 10:09 pm

We should not be intent to play Croker though. That is the problem. In any case, is there any other option but Cotric?
No we should not
But we are

Next best IMO is Asomua
Isn’t he out injured at the moment? They probably won’t throw him into first grade after he had missed games.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Who’s faster, that touch judge or Darryl Brohmann?
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

Canberra Milk wrote: July 7, 2023, 10:15 pm Did I see that Morkos played wing today in Cup? He's a future NRL player comfortably so would be happy to see him sooner or later
Hmm. He does have pace. That is what we definitely lack.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Before the game I said all I wanted was a solid defensive effort.

We averaged 33 missed tackles a game. We should have cut that in half tonight.

Instead we missed 45 **** tackles. Two edge players missed 15 between them.

Not even close to good enough.

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

We dont win this game if Stuart doesnt switch the wingers.

Stuart won this game on tactics. And ill give all credit to him for it.
Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Raider of d Lost Ark »

Seiffert82 wrote:Before the game I said all I wanted was a solid defensive effort.

We averaged 33 missed tackles a game. We should have cut that in half tonight.

Instead we missed 45 **** tackles. Two edge players missed 15 between them.

Not even close to good enough.

Embarrassing
CrabLord
Noa Nadruku

Post by CrabLord »

If Crokers dream is us to win another competition, his best move legitimately is to retire right now.

I love the guy, and he was admirable start of this big run. But **** me. He cost us four tries tonight, bundled out of bounds too. It’s over my man.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Yeah Ricky extremely pissed at the left side defence, in the presser
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

:roflmao Ricky knows it but can’t bring himself to say it
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 7, 2023, 10:08 pm I actually though Hopoate was hung out to dry in that game. He was regularly, regularly caught having to defend 2 or 3 players.

You just can't carry Hoppa and Toots on the same side. Both slow as a wet week.

Dragons went to Ravalawa who got outside Hoppa with ease and made 25m in the 3rd (?) minute and they knew they were on there. That wasn't on Toots.

I think the big difference was maybe no J Wighton helping that side. He's a size, speed and hitting triple threat in defence who scrambles like a madman too.
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

That was a cripple fight. Both teams pretty appalling at varying stages of the game.

Croker- I’m not sure how we can carry him into the last third of this season. Badly exposed, thoughts of next year should be put to bed after that effort.

Seb Kris- the worst fullback in the NRL. We need to hit the market. Does Lomax want to play fullback next year?

Jack Wighton - phoning it in. That’s all I’ll say.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Apparently we are healthy, fit and fast according to Rick
mikeraider
Brett Mullins

Post by mikeraider »

Croker a plus was his goal kicking don't think he missed one tonight, it may have effected his Defence, possibly not.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Canberra Milk wrote: July 7, 2023, 10:21 pm Yeah Ricky extremely pissed at the left side defence, in the presser
Did he hook Hoppa or switch him with Rapa? I missed the full explanation.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Botman wrote: July 7, 2023, 10:18 pm We dont win this game if Stuart doesnt switch the wingers.

Stuart won this game on tactics. And ill give all credit to him for it.
But it's sort of like running a marathon backwards and then turning around for the last 500m isn't it? :roflmao