He needs to go

No wonder Jack wants to leave
Perth Based Raiders Fan
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Coaching issues

Post by -PJ- »

Ultima wrote: March 31, 2023, 6:16 pm And remember everyone. Stuart was happy with the first half, the one which ended 6 to 13, and must have given one hell of a half time peptalk as we came out looking absolutely **** asleep!
Both Riffs 1st half tries came from kicks so Stick doesn’t count ‘em..

HT Raiders 6-1.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

-PJ- wrote:
Ultima wrote: March 31, 2023, 6:16 pm And remember everyone. Stuart was happy with the first half, the one which ended 6 to 13, and must have given one hell of a half time peptalk as we came out looking absolutely **** asleep!

HT Raiders 6-1.
Ours was from a kick as well. Or is it only the opposition's tries off kicks that don't count?
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Dr Zaius wrote: March 31, 2023, 6:40 pm
-PJ- wrote:

HT Raiders 6-1.
Ours was from a kick as well. Or is it only the opposition's tries off kicks that don't count?
And a kick from a player who he swapped out at the 36th minute, which in of itself is a wasted interchange, only to leave on the bench the rest of the game....
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

The only coaching issue is the pig headed **** in charge.
Take that out of the equation and we will be competitive again in 2 years.
Leave him as head coach and I think we will win 2 wooden spoons in the next 3 years.
Take a pick
#givericktheflick
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

-PJ- wrote: March 31, 2023, 6:38 pm

HT Raiders 6-1.
Mind blown.
Bloody hell, he needs to go tonight
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

Ultima wrote: March 31, 2023, 6:53 pm
Dr Zaius wrote: March 31, 2023, 6:40 pm
-PJ- wrote:

HT Raiders 6-1.
And a kick from a player who he swapped out at the 36th minute, which in of itself is a wasted interchange, only to leave on the bench the rest of the game....
AND one of our best on the field until supercoach subbed him off with 44 minutes to go while we were within striking range. 44 minutes of starling and we got pumped 40-6.
But rocky Stewart watches the game the best, so he should know that
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Said it a while ago…
This thread should be renamed:

Coach Is the Issue
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Ah look adversity.

he knows what's wrong (won't tell you).

refs calls.

bounce of the ball went Penrif (because they kicked and passed it better).

character.

players coming back.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Ricky has his faults its true.
But before he arrived we were a joke.
He has taken us to a prelim final, grand final, prelim final and semi final since 2016.
In the previous 10-12 years the best we could manage was week 1 of the finals maybe every second year.

I think he made some bad mistakes this year, and maybe we have to write this year off.
not having a good backup fullback, bringing in Madge (you all saw the series on the tigers last year and it was pretty clear Madge does not "inspire"), and lacking a decent hooker.

The issues of the spine I'll cover in another thread.

Point is he puts the Raiders on the map, did attract some decent talent, did have a plan, and has done much better than the previous few coaches before him. Who could we recruit as a coach that would achieve what he has - I mean realistically?
Last edited by woppadingo on March 31, 2023, 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Weak Gutted Dogs in the executive our biggest problem.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue - Ethan Strange

Post by PerthRaider86 »

woppadingo wrote: March 31, 2023, 8:08 pm Ricky has his faults its true.
He has taken us to a prelim final, grand final, prelim final and semi final since 2016.
In the previous 10-12 years the best we could manage was week 1 of the finals maybe every second year.

I think he made some bad mistakes this year, and maybe we have to write this year off.
not having a good backup fullback, bringing in Madge (you all saw the series on the tigers last year and it was pretty clear Madge does not "inspire"), and lacking a decent hooker.

Point is he puts the Raiders on the map, did attract some decent talent, did have a plan, and has done much better than the previous few coaches before him. Who could we recruit as a coach that would achieve what he has - I mean realistically?
Look at some young up and coming coaches who are looking for a NRL job. Maybe even Billy Slater..

You need to give someone a chance to see if they are good. You can't always recruit a seasoned veteran coach and even then he might not work.
Perth Based Raiders Fan
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

PerthRaider86 wrote: March 31, 2023, 8:22 pm

Look at some young up and coming coaches who are looking for a NRL job. Maybe even Billy Slater..

You need to give someone a chance to see if they are good. You can't always recruit a seasoned veteran coach and even then he might not work.
Thats why I used the term "realistically". Get real.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson

Post by PerthRaider86 »

woppadingo wrote: March 31, 2023, 8:26 pm

I am being real. Ricky ain't going to take us forward so we need to have Madge take over for the rest of the year (can't be any worse) and have the whole year to do a proper recruitment for a new coach.

We missed out on a lot of good young coaches last year
Perth Based Raiders Fan
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson

Post by PerthRaider86 »

Let me ask you honestly.

If our coach was someone who didn't play for the Raiders and was just a coach, would you still be right behind them???

Ricky is a great player and deserves every accolade he receives

He's past it with his coaching now
Perth Based Raiders Fan
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

These were all valid points in 2019.

In 2020, faults were revealed.

Faults he has only repeated, the same ones, again and again. With diminishing returns, for the same pattern.

The solution is : thanks Ricky! You are a great Raider. We need a new direction to progress any further, because we respect you enough to know you also want the best for the club. You coach, we administer- and we think the club needs to go one step further.

All the best, love Don Jr and the Raiders.

It's ok to say goodbye- see Campo, Whitehead, Toots Jnr etc etc for hanging on too long because "good bloke, could be worse". good grief.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Sorry, what exactly is unrealistic about giving an up and coming coach a shot at the NRL?
Up The Milk
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Mickey_Raider wrote: March 31, 2023, 8:44 pm

Sorry, what exactly is unrealistic about giving an up and coming coach a shot at the NRL?
Didn't you hear? Apparently there is no one else out there. At all. Ever.

Like there was none for the Warriors. Or Bulldogs. Or Manly. Or Cowboys.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson

Post by PerthRaider86 »

It amazes me that that's the excuse the Ricky fans give to keep him
Perth Based Raiders Fan
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Becareful mate people might be identifying as a Ricky Stuart these days.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Question wrote:Becareful mate people might be identifying as a Ricky Stuart these days.

You can identify as a frog these days. Seen it myself.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Oh I know mate, I identify as a pot plant/ Mexican lady.

This place is woke.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Question wrote:Oh I know mate, I identify as a pot plant/ Mexican lady.

As a 7 foot Nigerian elf lady, I understand

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Can't wait for the next census.

This place is woke.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Raider47 wrote: March 31, 2023, 8:48 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote: March 31, 2023, 8:44 pm

Didn't you hear? Apparently there is no one else out there. At all. Ever.

Like there was none for the Warriors. Or Bulldogs. Or Manly. Or Cowboys.
Hey I would LOOOVE a Todd Payten, Craig Fitzgibbon, a Bellamy, Bennett, robinson, next big thing to come to the raiders but dont mention Slater because a) He would never come and b) has he even been an assistant coach anywhere?
The bulldogs, manly and cowboys are all more attractive than the raiders.

But ofcourse sooner or later we will have to roll the dice on a coach and that is exactly what it will be, a roll of the dice, because no coach of any standing would realistically come to Canberra and spend 10 years it would take trying to overcome the "geographic disadvantage" to build a team that could win a premiership.
I know Ricky has made mistakes especially this year. hookers/fullback/HSS/Hoppa.
But he still has gravitas and could still attract a few decent players. The fact he has not done that lately is on him I agree. I just dont see anyone, even someone who could be a really good coach, being able to come in and recruit any decent players and turn the team into a contender. and I dont see anyone who would be widely considered to be the next big thing coming to the Raiders if there is an opportunity literally anywhere else.
in summary, If you think we have hit the lowest point now, you are going to be seriously disappointed because the next coach will be either some failure (just like Madge) from another club or some assistant coach that will literally be a roll of the dice. And they will not be able to recruit anyone to save themselves.
The Green Hornet
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by The Green Hornet »

Does anyone still think Rick can attract players here?
Mullos
Gary Coyne

Post by Mullos »

In short no.. he needs to put his hand up and white flag up and walk. I think Ricky is stuck in the 2000’s the game has evolved and we have not. Very sad to see how one dimensional our great club has become. Despite the facilities and roster it’s a coaching issue, it’s the game prep it was a 150th game for our most consistent player over the past 4-5 years. If you can’t get up for this the dressing room was lost. Clearly the pre season was not a good one, the raiders despite some tough years have had a go. I recall a 40-0 tigers game in 2010/11 and a 66-8 storm game in 2008 / 2009 but this stings more I think because we had some below average squads. This squad is no worse than the dolphins , it’s all coaching and player application - desire, hunger and need. If I’m on the market - Ricky is not a man that will develop me.. maybe 20 years ago 100% now…. No thanks I want a Fitzgibbon, Robinson, Payten,Ciraldo, Cleary, Andrew at Warriors - + Bellamy (still relevant), and uncle Wayne has continued to evolve. Change is nigh, players are not attracted because there is not a gain. Blind Freddy will ageee
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

I think anyone that thinks we have coahing issues is off their heads.

He's not the one out there missing tackles, not putting in and giving away easy metres.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Mullos
Gary Coyne

Post by Mullos »

I agree Lucy, the players are responsible for missed tackles, drop balls, line speed. But the players are not working as a unit and are not buying into the plan / vision of the coach and or coaching staff. They are not or have not bought in over the past 2 games, which is an issue. The coach needs to prepare the playing roster as best as possible via fitness, phycology, game plans and tactics to ensure they are as best prepared as possible for each round. Players react and buy into this, which builds culture in a club. This is lacking, and to continue picking players that are not even remotely 1st grade material, comes back to the coach. Unfortunately the coach has the final say and there was a few guys from last week v Knights that simply should not have played this evening. They are not performing and are obviously low on confidence and are still being picked - all coaching
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

In all honestly Stuart lucked out by getting two relatively unknown players from the UK who had a purple patch of form and stumbled us into a grand final. After that it was all down hill with at best a few desperate gasps for air.

When was the last time the Raiders actually signed a BIG name player?

Our "big" signings since 2016:

2016 - Aidan Sezer? Junior Paulo?
2017 - Dave Taylor?
2018 - literally no one you could consider a "star"
2019 - CNK? (Bateman wasn't really a known "star")
2020 - Yet again no one of "star" note
2021 - Jamal Fogarty?
2022 - Yet again no one, I refuse to count Danny Levi!

It's just such hot bloody garbage.... OK yes, we signed some decent players, some became great like Tapine but we have NEVER signed an actual STAR under Stuart, and we never **** will! You see all these other clubs signing a Tedesco, a Hyne, we are lucky to sign a player who had to go off to the UK to find work....
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I don't think our squad is as bad as some are making out. I've banged on about our lack of structure, lack of style and set plays enough. But what would I know?

Well for one, even before a ball was kicked this year I knew shifting your best centre to fullback was ridiculous. The young bloke coming off his best season. The bloke who is built like a brick **** and has a turning circle of the titanic, was never going to work and the majority of this forum could see it. But stubborn Ricky knows the game better than anyone. Too **** proud to admit he got it wrong and make the necessary change. Too interested in getting even a whiff of good play from poor Seb - purely so he can sit at a press conference and get his back up and say "I told you's so". And that's just one example.

He has shifted or pivoted in the past when he got it wrong with Blake Austin and a few other things. Can he do it again? Does he really deserve another crack?

We have some good players. It might be at that stage where those good players are thinking "it's either him or me (leaving)". We may well already be at that point with Wighton being the first. There's obviously something wrong and toxic at the club and it's probably at the point where the CEO and/or Board take back some control before it's too late. And history shows the most effective way to do that is to apply the pressure to them, not the coach.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

He trotted out..

“I know the fans want to know what I’m thinking but we’ll keep that in house”

Turn it up !!!!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
deanoman
Brett Mullins

Post by deanoman »

get Mick Ennis back immediately!

When he is affiliated with teams, they make GFs
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

deanoman wrote:get Mick Ennis back immediately!

When he is affiliated with teams, they make GFs
agreed, as much as I disliked him as a player he's an outstanding assistant with insight and the kahuna's to speak the blunt truth

Edrick The Entertainer
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Losing CNK (who definitely needed to be released on personal grounds) and having Savage injured in the preseason has, in my mind, been the catalyst for this disaster.

HSS had been a complete disaster at centre and Kris is doing his best but is limited at fullback.

**** knows what we do with the halves.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk