Canberra Raiders sign hooker Danny Levi on two year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Canberra Raiders sign hooker Danny Levi on two year deal

Post by Seiffert82 »

Reasonable depth signing under the circumstances, especially with Trevilyan out with an ACL.

Big step backwards from peak Hodgo. Hopefully Starling learns to pass properly over the offseason.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Does he have much of an injury history?

I hope we don't have many issues if/when the Levi breaks.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Seiffert82 wrote: January 9, 2023, 8:23 am Reasonable depth signing under the circumstances, especially with Trevilyan out with an ACL.

Big step backwards from peak Hodgo. Hopefully Starling learns to pass properly over the offseason.

Maybe I'm missing something - have people given up on Woolford?
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Billy Walker wrote: January 9, 2023, 7:11 am This thread is sounding a lot like the Adam Elliott thread when he signed. If Levi does half the job for us that Elliott did we will be fine. There is something to be said for giving the guy time to see what he brings before attacking with pitchforks.
To be fair, Adam Elliot show a lot of promise early on in his Dogs days, before falling off a cliff and eventually leaving the club. He recaptured some of that form.

In saying that, I don't think Levi will be all that bad and I don't think he'll see much first grade anyway.

Looking at his history of NRL clubs, he hasn't been in very many favourable systems, so we probably haven't seen the best of him yet.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

yeh raiders wrote: January 9, 2023, 9:55 am
Billy Walker wrote: January 9, 2023, 7:11 am This thread is sounding a lot like the Adam Elliott thread when he signed. If Levi does half the job for us that Elliott did we will be fine. There is something to be said for giving the guy time to see what he brings before attacking with pitchforks.
To be fair, Adam Elliot show a lot of promise early on in his Dogs days, before falling off a cliff and eventually leaving the club. He recaptured some of that form.

In saying that, I don't think Levi will be all that bad and I don't think he'll see much first grade anyway.

Looking at his history of NRL clubs, he hasn't been in very many favourable systems, so we probably haven't seen the best of him yet.
He might be a dud but he might also be at the right time of life in the right system for him to progress to new heights. I reckon we wait and see rather than writing him off before he even pulls on a jumper.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

hrundi89 wrote: January 9, 2023, 9:18 am Does he have much of an injury history?

:lol: Nice to see some Led Zeppelin fans on here Hrundi89.
I hope he has an injury free year.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Azza wrote: January 9, 2023, 9:45 am
Seiffert82 wrote: January 9, 2023, 8:23 am Reasonable depth signing under the circumstances, especially with Trevilyan out with an ACL.

Seems a lot of people don't rate him. I am not one of those people.

I think he's got some really nice deception in the red zone, good footy smarts and a nice pass. If he can find 10% physical improvement now he's a full timer and has the mythical "full pre season" under his belt, I think he'll be a good un.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I think Woolford should be our starting #9 and playing 50+ minutes a game. But i've thought that since Woolford's 3rd or 4th game and it didnt happen.
He's the best hooker on the roster based on what we know right now and it's frankly not close imo

This feels like a lost season for Trevilyan already given his injuries and recovery time table... mid season return at best, will need time for conditioning and game shape... hard to imagine he can contribute until very late in the year, if at all

So my hope for the hooker rotation for this year is that Woolford establishes himself as our clear #1... and then Starling and Levi can figure out who is going to get their **** together to back him up. I think we're in a spot of bother though... If we're in a position where we spend a decent chunk of the year with a Starling-Levi rotation, i think that's going to go very poorly
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: January 9, 2023, 1:31 pm I think Woolford should be our starting #9 and playing 50+ minutes a game. But i've thought that since Woolford's 3rd or 4th game and it didnt happen.
He's the best hooker on the roster based on what we know right now and it's frankly not close imo

This feels like a lost season for Trevilyan already given his injuries and recovery time table... mid season return at best, will need time for conditioning and game shape... hard to imagine he can contribute until very late in the year, if at all

So my hope for the hooker rotation for this year is that Woolford establishes himself as our clear #1... and then Starling and Levi can figure out who is going to get their **** together to back him up. I think we're in a spot of bother though... If we're in a position where we spend a decent chunk of the year with a Starling-Levi rotation, i think that's going to go very poorly
Can’t disagree with that. I think we would need to find a way to go mid season shopping for a 9 if Woolford was injured. We are pretty thin in options around 9 and I suspect Frawley may potentially even come into consideration if injury struck.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

BadnMean wrote: January 9, 2023, 1:23 pm

I think he's got some really nice deception in the red zone, good footy smarts and a nice pass. If he can find 10% physical improvement now he's a full timer and has the mythical "full pre season" under his belt, I think he'll be a good un.
Ah, the GH numpty brigade? We generally looked 20% better with him on the field. Just needs to improve his fitness and game time.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins

Post by hrundi89 »

RedRaider wrote: January 9, 2023, 12:01 pm
hrundi89 wrote: January 9, 2023, 9:18 am Does he have much of an injury history?

Phew. I was worried no-one would get it. :hi
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Azza wrote: January 9, 2023, 2:26 pm
Ah, the GH numpty brigade? We generally looked 20% better with him on the field. Just needs to improve his fitness and game time.
I'm not sure they're numpties, I think they just want a flat out star at hooker like Cook, Api or Hodgo was.

I think you need some value in your spine somewhere. In the past, CNK was that value player who found ways to be vital above his pay grade in ways the team needed.

In the future I see Savage being better than that. (whole separate argument, but I see us paying him as a top 5 FB one day. Not tomorrow, but in a few years perhaps)

So I see Woolford as a great value spine player, for what else we have going on. Who gets the max value out of our other strengths (forwards) and won't stop us capwise from buying in a top shelf half (say if we miss Fifita) or FB (if turns out I'm wrong on Savage).

So if we had our cap allocated similar to previous years, the "numpties" might be right, Woolford maybe isn't in the Hodgo league. But I think we are just shifting our spine cap around slightly. Currently we are in a space where we have 2 value guys (hooker and Savage) which gives us room to look at Fifita, while we see how Savage goes medium term.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Azza wrote:
BadnMean wrote: January 9, 2023, 1:23 pm

I'm a big fan of Woolford. He's lightyears away from Hodgson at his peak, but I think Woolford was a huge part of our turnaround in form.

Really solid performer and was usually able to get our pack onto the front foot (unlike Starling).

So to that extent, Levi is still a depth signing IMO.

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

BadnMean wrote: January 9, 2023, 4:15 pm
I'm not sure they're numpties, I think they just want a flat out star at hooker like Cook, Api or Hodgo was.
Nuts to that. Numpties they be.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

BadnMean wrote:

I think you need some value in your spine somewhere. In the past, CNK was that value player who found ways to be vital above his pay grade in ways the team needed.

In the future I see Savage being better than that. (whole separate argument, but I see us paying him as a top 5 FB one day. Not tomorrow, but in a few years perhaps)

So I see Woolford as a great value spine player, for what else we have going on. Who gets the max value out of our other strengths (forwards) and won't stop us capwise from buying in a top shelf half (say if we miss Fifita) or FB (if turns out I'm wrong on Savage).

So if we had our cap allocated similar to previous years, the "numpties" might be right, Woolford maybe isn't in the Hodgo league. But I think we are just shifting our spine cap around slightly. Currently we are in a space where we have 2 value guys (hooker and Savage) which gives us room to look at Fifita, while we see how Savage goes medium term.
I would suggest that Fogarty is a value spine player. As a no 1 half in a club he would be in the bottom 3rd of salaries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

RTW wrote: January 9, 2023, 4:52 pm
BadnMean wrote:

I would suggest that Fogarty is a value spine player. As a no 1 half in a club he would be in the bottom 3rd of salaries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Probably true. But in my line of thinking most clubs run with 1 star half and one support act, so I view our halves that way. There are exceptions of course- Parra have bumped Brown up to star pay; Storm have Hughes who has turned from makeshift to star and Penrith have two stars, but have had to let their star hooker go, with great value at the back.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

If Starling ends up as a starting hooker we're screwed.

a lot of our success was due to Woolfords more direct pick and pass style, which gave the halves more space.

Starling is too lateral, and his service sucks

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Azza wrote: January 9, 2023, 4:34 pm
BadnMean wrote: January 9, 2023, 4:15 pm
Nuts to that. Numpties they be.
:roflmao
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

New Canberra Raiders hooker Danny Levi hungry for NRL comeback

Canberra Raiders recruit Danny Levi didn't come back from Huddersfield to play NSW Cup. Raiders coach Ricky Stuart might have a selection headache on his hands though, after Zac Woolford and Tom Starling delivered last year.

"My goal was always to get back in the NRL," Levi said."I was supposed to be over there for two years and I was lucky enough to get the opportunity to come back. I really wanted to get back in the NRL and compete at the best level again. I knew the Raiders were a very prestigious club, with a lot of really great history."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

https://www.zerotackle.com/new-raiders- ... ks-126960/
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

hrundi89 wrote: January 9, 2023, 3:20 pm

:thumbsup I was mid-teens when Led Zeppelin 4 was released. One of the Sound tracks of my life. Here's hoping Levi can help us up the Premiership Stairway to Heaven.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

RedRaider wrote: January 9, 2023, 9:12 pm

:thumbsup I was mid-teens when Led Zeppelin 4 was released. One of the Sound tracks of my life. Here's hoping Levi can help us up the Premiership Stairway to Heaven.
Hopefully we won't be singing The Lemon Song
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Lui_Bon wrote: January 9, 2023, 10:23 pm
RedRaider wrote: January 9, 2023, 9:12 pm

Hopefully we won't be singing The Lemon Song
Agreed Lui, by the end of the year I hope we're singing 'Whole Lotta Love' for him as a player.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

hrundi89 wrote:Does he have much of an injury history?

We know he doesn’t have a drinking problem. Apparently the new recruits went to meet up at the pub recently as part of a bonding session.

Stick drove Chevy to the Levi, but Levi was dry.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: January 10, 2023, 5:20 pm
hrundi89 wrote:Does he have much of an injury history?

We know he doesn’t have a drinking problem. Apparently the new recruits went to meet up at the pub recently as part of a bonding session.

Stick drove Chevy to the Levi, but Levi was dry.
I hear the old boys thoroughly enjoyed the whiskey and rye though
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Handy cover for when Woolford and Starling are away on origin duties

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
mikeraider
Brett Mullins

Post by mikeraider »

Danny Levi, A unknown over a current 1st grade No. 9 in Jake Turpin who is on the bench at the Brisbane Broncos this year after the Bradon Smith signing as talked about on the Bloke podcast, I reckon he be looking fr a new club and would get him for a great price on a 2 year deal.
Canberra Raiders supporter though thick and thin from the very beginning.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

How is Levi an unknown, he's played 110 NRL games?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

mikeraider wrote: January 11, 2023, 1:39 pm Danny Levi, A unknown over a current 1st grade No. 9 in Jake Turpin who is on the bench at the Brisbane Broncos this year after the Bradon Smith signing as talked about on the Bloke podcast, I reckon he be looking fr a new club and would get him for a great price on a 2 year deal.

Jake Turpin is going to the roosters and will see plenty of game time after the Connor Watson injury
mikeraider
Brett Mullins

Post by mikeraider »

I repeat I suggested No. 9 in Jake Turpin last year when they were looking at moving him at the Broncos, and I think we missed our chance here.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

mikeraider wrote:I repeat I suggested No. 9 in Jake Turpin last year when they were looking at moving him at the Broncos, and I think we missed our chance here.
So you're mad that we didn't sign a player that wasn't available in the first place?

Ok.

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

A 26 year old with over 100 games of NRL experience and 30 Super League caps. This guy will be good for us.

I find it odd that we quite rightly compare Savage’s age and experience to others like Papenhauzen, but we don’t afford Levi the same latitude. At the same age Hodgo hadn’t played in the NRL. Levi has a similar number of NRL games under his belt at 26 that Hodgo has at 33.

He obviously has talent- I suspect he now has maturity as well. I think there will be a few people cringing at the posts they have put on here about him. He will be good.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Billy Walker wrote: January 12, 2023, 4:19 pm A 26 year old with over 100 games of NRL experience and 30 Super League caps. This guy will be good for us.

I find it odd that we quite rightly compare Savage’s age and experience to others like Papenhauzen, but we don’t afford Levi the same latitude. At the same age Hodgo hadn’t played in the NRL. Levi has a similar number of NRL games under his belt at 26 that Hodgo has at 33.

He obviously has talent- I suspect he now has maturity as well. I think there will be a few people cringing at the posts they have put on here about him. He will be good.
Not quite sure there. Hodgo had been player of the year + players player multiple times by the times in SL and made club captain before he even came to Raiders. He was a star everywhere he played and all that at an earlier age (22-24, Levi now 26). Levi has been shown the door every time (3x NRL clubs) after underwhelming at each. Hodgo had always been poached by a more ambitious setup, never sacked. I think you are drawing a very long bow.

I hope he goes well, but I've got Woolf starting and Starling on the bench, with Levi as reasonable cover for either but starting in reggies to start the season.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

BadnMean wrote: January 12, 2023, 4:39 pm
Billy Walker wrote: January 12, 2023, 4:19 pm A 26 year old with over 100 games of NRL experience and 30 Super League caps. This guy will be good for us.

Not quite sure there. Hodgo had been player of the year + players player multiple times by the times in SL and made club captain before he even came to Raiders. He was a star everywhere he played and all that at an earlier age (22-24, Levi now 26). Levi has been shown the door every time (3x NRL clubs) after underwhelming at each. Hodgo had always been poached by a more ambitious setup, never sacked. I think you are drawing a very long bow.

I hope he goes well, but I've got Woolf starting and Starling on the bench, with Levi as reasonable cover for either but starting in reggies to start the season.
Hodgo is a high bar I used as an example but look at other top line hookers and the experience they had at 26. Levi stacks up. Attitude, commitment and discipline seem to have been his issues, but that’s not uncommon for blokes under 25 and still with those major pitfalls he’s racked up 100+ NRL games. If he actually has got his priorities sorted and has matured a little he really could be a very very good player for us.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Yep - I’m happy to be the inaugural member of the Danny Levi fan club. I’m tipping big things from him. I hope some of you “supporters” join me through the season when he tears it up for the mighty green machine and establishes himself as our number 1 hooker.