2022 in review - Xavier Savage

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Now it is season over for the Canberra Raiders, we will be reviewing all 30 players who pulled on a green jersey in first grade in 2022. We'll start with the fullbacks, and Xavier Savage.

It was another year of huge steps forward for Xavier Savage.

At the beginning of 2021, Savage was newly arrived in the national capital and just out of high school. He started the year in the Raiders' SG Ball squad and went on to win a premiership with that Under 19s team. After the SG Ball Grand Final, he became a regular in the Raiders' NSW Cup team. He made an unexpected NRL debut in the Round 15 clash with the Dragons - an unofficial debut, as he was illegally used as an 18th man. He went on to make an official debut in the Round 17 match against the Sea Eagles at fullback, before starring in the Round 18 win over the Sharks. Sadly, that was his last match of the season. He suffered a shoulder injury which required surgery.

But not bad for his first season in green.

Savage started 2022 in NSW Cup, playing the first five weeks in "reggies" at fullback. He scored four tries and averaged 138 running metres per game. It puzzled commentators and fans, that Savage wasn't being given more opportunity in first grade, particularly as Jordan Rapana started the season on suspension. There was probably a combination of reasons for it. He was still coming back from shoulder surgery. And the coaches wanted to give him more time at fullback in the lower grade, to bring him into first grade gradually.

He made his first NRL appearance of the year off the bench in the Round 6 loss to the Cowboys. He played a handful of games on the wing or off the bench - scoring a try in the Round 11 win over the Rabbitohs. After that game, Ricky Stuart explained his approach this way:

"He scored a great try, I know, I kept hearing, everyone keeps telling me. There's so much social media out there about getting Savage on. Xavier is in the learning process and there are other young fullbacks out there making mistakes I don't want Xavier to make. He's got a great teacher in front of him in Charnze and he'll keep learning the way he is now then be better for it."

But the next week, Stuart selected Savage at fullback, with Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad injured - and Savage held onto the No. 1 jersey for the rest of the season. He was no doubt still learning his trade in the role. He had some handling errors in him under the high ball, and he was still learning which lines to run and how to organise and position himself in defence. But he improved significantly each week. And he offered something that the Raiders were seriously lacking - speed and potential threat in attack.

It is likely that Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad's decision to seek an early release, so he could closer to his sons in New Zealand, also played a part in the coach's change in thinking. The Raiders agreed to CNK's release in early July - and it was then clear that Savage was the future at fullback. There was no turning back from that point. Savage had to be given as much time in the No. 1 jersey as possible.

In 2022, Xavier Savage was equal fourth in the try scoring stakes (7) at the club - though he was a fair way off the benchmark fullback, Clint Gutherson, in that department (15). He also ranked third in try assists (8), behind Jamal Fogarty and Jack Wighton (both on 10). He is still developing his ball playing game, but he has shown he has good quick hands. Savage ranked second at the Raiders for running metres gained per game (134), behind Joe Tapine - and was among the top five regular fullbacks on that score. Other Raiders backs made more tackle breaks and line breaks - ranking fifth in both. But when he did get through the line, he could certainly put the foot down.

Defending at fullback is one of the most difficult jobs in rugby league. Savage's tackle efficiency was the lowest at the club and he ranked sixth for try causes (11). He's still developing physically, so time will help there. But to put things in perspective, there are some big name fullbacks with worse try causes per game - like Gutherson, Ponga, Brimson, Papenhuyzen and Mitchell. He was in the top five fullbacks for errors - and ranked second at the club behind Jack Wighton. But his error count fell over the course of the year.

I rated Savage an average of 5.6/10 over the season, with his season rating reflecting his good contribution to the season. I awarded him a "7" in five games, with his best performance probably coming in the Round 13 win over the Roosters. In that game he scored a try, while producing a try assist, a line break, three tackle breaks and 203 running metres. He topped 200 running metres four times, produced a season high 236 metres in the Round 14 clash with the Broncos.

Savage did not win the club's 2022 Rookie of the Year award on Meninga Medal night. That award went to Brad Schneider - and Schneider had very good claims. But Savage did take out our Fans' Choice Rookie of the Year vote.

In August, the Raiders extended Savage's contract by two years to the end of 2025. It was a wise decision to do that well before November 1 - when he would have become a free agent for 2024 - as the 20 year old has huge potential. He originally hails from Cairns, and clubs in Queensland would no doubt be keen to have him on board. He needed to be locked up quickly. For a young man, he has a level head. He knows that he still needs to grow as a player.

"There's a lot of trust there and I appreciate that from the club," Savage said, when his new deal was announced.

"There is a little bit of pressure now, but I'm going to handle that pretty well. I feel like I'm more mentally tough than I was 12 months ago and I will be even tougher 12 months from now. Come April-March when the season starts next year I'll be ready to go."

I'm looking forward to seeing him take more big strides in 2023.

How did you rate Xavier Savage's 2022? Do you agree with our rating? Tell us below.

Xavier Savage 2022: 6/10

2022 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 19
Average minutes: 69
Tries: 7
Try assists: 8
Try contributions: 2
Total try involvements: 17
Total kicks: 6
Kick metres: 50
Forced line drop outs: 3
Total runs: 250
All run metres: 2539
Average runs per game: 13
Average metres per game: 134
Kick return metres per game: 55
Average metres per carry: 10
Tackle breaks: 39
Offloads: 7
Line breaks: 6
Line break assists: 7
Tackles: 39
Average tackles per game: 2
1 on 1 tackles: 9
Missed tackles: 14
Average missed tackles per game: 0.7
Ineffective tackles: 5
Tackle efficiency: 67 per cent
Try causes: 11
Errors: 25
Penalties conceded: 0
ALX22
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: 2022 in review - Xavier Savage

Post by ALX22 »

Very promising year. Onwards and upwards in 2023 for Xavier.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

In a year that was a development year, I'm glad that he played 19 games for us. We saw what he did for his try v Parra. He has more than speed; we saw that he has a kicking game close to the line and also being in the right place at the right time for bombs and kicks. His movement and passing troubled the Storm in the AAMI Park round 18 game. Let's hope he can develop further and be a more consistent player for us.
Bloody_Burnham
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Bloody_Burnham »

Thought he showed real potential especially with his ball playing. Xavier obviously has to work on his defence and positioning but he has top 5 fullback in the NRL/origin like talent/potential.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I rated Savage…………. 6/10
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

He's young and learning. He's very quick. Billy Slater thought enough of his potential to call him early in 2022 to advise him to train as a potential Origin player. He has had shoulder injury and needs to build his upper body strength in the off season. He has good passing skills and a developing short kicking game. He is not a strong defender at the moment, but that is a skill he can work on. It would be good if the Raiders could arrange for him to speak about full back play with the likes of Billy Slater and Badge. In particular about where to position himself behind the defensive line. Also keep showing him the Dylan Edwards cover tackle from the Grand Final to see what it means to team mates when a fullback can execute a play like that.
Shiv
Peter Jackson

Post by Shiv »

Have to admit I wasn't a huge fan at the start of the year. In fairness though he did grow on me throughout the year. I like him as our fullback and see plenty of potential there. I don't ever see him being a cracking defence fullback - but he won't be the only fullback in the comp in that scenario. In attack however I am confident he will rate really highly. We scored a number of our tries through him, through quick passing as much as his speed, which makes him more than *just* a speedster. Expecting a bigger year from him in 2023
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Well done Xav.

I like that the article provided some context across the competition for some of Savage's flashpoints for criticism on here- or noted that how he finished was better than how he started (those lairy loose carries!). Fully acknowledge he has some improving to do- but even top rank fb's struggle with the same things.

As much as the tries where the burned a whole team it was the little touches like the hands and timing on that bootlace pickup at full speed to score that show the talent level is more than just speed.

He knows when to pass and gets it done more often than not.

Hope he has a cracker next year and keeps filing off those rough edges. Attitude toward his own development sounds mature.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Xavier Savage will definitely benefit from a full pre season

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

Kid has plenty of potential. He's a work in progress ATM, but I have liked what he has shown so far. I think he will be a success. Good luck young fella.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Sid wrote: October 5, 2022, 10:54 am Xavier Savage will definitely benefit from a full pre season

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Given his shoulder injury last year, and his rookie status, I think we can also safely say this will be his Toughest Pre Season Ever.
Toot toot. I am captaining this hype train.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Ton of potential, has already shown how important a player with some ball skills is at the fullback position and how it impacts your attacking structure
The speed is obviously such a massive weapon and how teams treat him and respect his speed was evident very early
The sky is the limit

But he’s still got a lot of work and learning to do. It’s a big off season for him. Still only 20 years old. And it’s all in front of him

I’m confident if he puts in the work Monday to Saturday and commits to being the best he can be, he’ll be an excellent footballer and long term FG player.

There are 2 things players generally can’t control.

Opportunity and Talent.

Some guys, be it a circumstances of the club you’re at and who’s in front of you and your contract, or via injury luck, simply don’t the opportunities they need to show case their talent and prove they’re up to it. He’s fit and healthy, he can attack the pre season from day 1 with 100% energy and will be the clubs starting fullback from day 1.
Level of talent. You can work hard and do all the right things but if you don’t have a base line level of talent, there is nothing you you can do to change that. He’s plenty talented enough. No question about that.

He’s got the talent to be a superstar and the opportunity to prove it. The rest is up to him.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Not sure i agree on your assessment of his talent. I think there are 2 sides to talent and while he offers plenty in attack, I haven't seen anything to suggest he is anywhere near first grade standard in defence. I hope it improves with time and training, but it rarely ever does. So I'm still on the fence with him. Happy for him to have first crack at it next season, but if his d doesn't improve I'd make signing a fb a 24 priority
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

kid is a freak

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

FROG wrote: October 5, 2022, 6:05 pm Not sure i agree on your assessment of his talent. I think there are 2 sides to talent and while he offers plenty in attack, I haven't seen anything to suggest he is anywhere near first grade standard in defence. I hope it improves with time and training, but it rarely ever does. So I'm still on the fence with him. Happy for him to have first crack at it next season, but if his d doesn't improve I'd make signing a fb a 24 priority
Which FB would you sign that has noticeably superior try cause, line break causes, missed tackles etc (errors having rom for improvment, but as noted, trending up. Still actually within the numbers recorded by legit top 5 FBS) and can attack as well? His numbers stack up better than most. Yeah he missed a couple he would have liked to stick. I've actually seen MANY a fb miss a few tackles and improve- Slater, Trbo, Gutho... You actually don't expect your year 1 employees or rookie players to be the finished article- and I certainly completely disagree that defence can't improve. He's also on the tackle of the year list for a trysaver. He's willing.

For a guy in his first full FG season, coming out of covid with no senior footy to even adjust to, he's done remarkably well.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Xavier reminds me a lot of Ponga in his debut year with the Cowboys.

He has the makings of a marque player and the club should be seriously considering building the future team around him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Funny looking at Slater's "defence" here. Can you imagine how some people on this forum would have reacted? "Slater is not first grade material, too crap defence" 😂🤣
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Canberra Milk wrote: October 11, 2022, 12:15 pm

Funny looking at Slater's "defence" here. Can you imagine how some people on this forum would have reacted? "Slater is not first grade material, too crap defence" 😂🤣
I’m going to say it would be a little harsh to drop Slater based on a missed tackle in a picture that is clearly JT :nooo
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Bingo.

Half the posters here seem to think other players never miss a tackle or drop a ball. But once we get a bee in our bonnet about someone...
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Billy Walker wrote: October 11, 2022, 1:42 pm

I’m going to say it would be a little harsh to drop Slater based on a missed tackle in a picture that is clearly JT :nooo
Press play Billy
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Not sure who the Aussie 10 is, but he is beaten by Burgess with footwork which gets him one on one with Slater. Burgess dummies to his left and Slater buys it. He doesn't look to get a hand on him. Try time.
Slater is not the first or last to be beaten by a dummy pass.
Lesson for Xavier is to take the man with the ball and if the player does pass it late, then still put him on the deck and trust your mates are chasing down the ball carrier.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

RedRaider wrote: October 11, 2022, 7:26 pm Not sure who the Aussie 10 is, but he is beaten by Burgess with footwork which gets him one on one with Slater. Burgess dummies to his left and Slater buys it. He doesn't look to get a hand on him. Try time.
Lesson for Xavier is to take the man with the ball and if the player does pass it late, then still put him on the deck and trust your mates are chasing down the ball carrier.
Petrol 70 cents a litre.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

I'll forgive a defensive error or two when xavier is the Australian fullback. By the way, I just saw charnze play for new Zealand and he passed the ball to the player next to him! I'm going to call it now, he's better than Tommy turbo. I mean he missed a tackle but so has Tommy and if he keeps progressing they are essentially the same. :roflmao
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

-PJ- wrote:
RedRaider wrote: October 11, 2022, 7:26 pm Not sure who the Aussie 10 is, but he is beaten by Burgess with footwork which gets him one on one with Slater. Burgess dummies to his left and Slater buys it. He doesn't look to get a hand on him. Try time.
Petrol 70 cents a litre.
Empty the tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Overrated.

2/10

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I just can’t get my head around people dissing him. He essentially had to turn himself from a Flagg/reserve grade project player who realistically was a genuine winger into an NRL fullback way, way before he was ready.

Where he came from and what he showed was absolutely remarkable.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 12, 2022, 6:26 am Overrated.

2/10

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
😂 My surprise. Imagine it, even for a moment, if you will. Classic Seiff
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

julian87 wrote: October 12, 2022, 7:57 am I just can’t get my head around people dissing him. He essentially had to turn himself from a Flagg/reserve grade project player who realistically was a genuine winger into an NRL fullback way, way before he was ready.

Where he came from and what he showed was absolutely remarkable.
Yep. Due to covid, missed out on the development in NSW Cup most kids would get to to tighten up their game and toughen up vs the men.

Revitalised our attack. Tightened up his game. As a 20 year old FB, still plenty to learn.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Loads of speed. Showed improvement with his ball playing, had LOADS of work to do with defence and positioning....and just catching the damn thing sometimes.

Gee I hope he comes along.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

One of the laziest defensive fullbacks I've seen in a while, constantly out of position and makes no effort to get to where the ball is

His attack improved out of sight during the year, but his attitude to defence needs a massive kick, or he'll be out the back door pretty fast.

Luckily he's still a kid and has time to learn

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

-TW- wrote: October 12, 2022, 2:38 pm One of the laziest defensive fullbacks I've seen in a while, constantly out of position and makes no effort to get to where the ball is

His attack improved out of sight during the year, but his attitude to defence needs a massive kick, or he'll be out the back door pretty fast.

Luckily he's still a kid and has time to learn

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Harsh but true! I think he will come along and get there and be the star we all hope but yes his defence is poor and his hands fail him at times.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Other than having age on his side, does he offer much more that what Matt Dufty does in attack and defence? At the moment i'd say he a poor man's Dufty.

Hopefully he improves, especially defensively and his error rate.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Too harsh, in my view. I personally don't think that is a word that relates to Xavier Savage. He has worked his guts out to get to this point in his football career. He is a young football player still learning the position in the NRL - and how to position himself in defence. He is still eligible for Jersey Flegg. Yet he's improved massively in the space of half a season. Heaps of improvement to come.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: October 12, 2022, 3:18 pm Too harsh, in my view. I personally don't think that is a word that relates to Xavier Savage. He has worked his guts out to get to this point in his football career. He is a young football player still learning the position in the NRL - and how to position himself in defence. He is still eligible for Jersey Flegg. Yet he's improved massively in the space of half a season. Heaps of improvement to come.
Agree. EDIT calling him lazy when there's effort plays I see him making often. There's games we've won where we've faced some of the games best kickers and because we've won they've just overlooked what he's done (not put any credits in the "not lazy" or "probably in the right spot more often than not" bank) because oh well nothing to criticise here. DCE alone has kicked us off the park half a dozen times, even with CNK etc as fullback. Credit where it's due.

The reasons for inconsistent performance have been stated (ad infinitum?). They are absolutely valid.

You don't beat teams with Munster and Hughes, or Keary and Walker, or DCE kicking with a lazy fullback. Not an NRL level, you just don't.

It's quite a distasteful witch hunt/prove I'm right on the internet kind of vibe going on. I really despise it.
Last edited by BadnMean on October 12, 2022, 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I also find it strange. I mean at the very least, he's exciting to watch

Are people that bitter? Or obsessed with safety/defensive football? I hold both attitudes in equal contempt