Knights 13+
18%

Total votes: 17

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: 2022 Rd 23 V Knights: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Botman »

julian87 wrote: August 19, 2022, 10:06 pm I pretty much never bet on Canberra. But had a feeling early week and put a multi on that will now land me 1200 after the first 3 results if we win 13+

The odds are almost not worth hedging but I extra don't know if I can do Sunday now 🤣
well now we're ****

Thanks 'mate'
CRaid
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by CRaid »

Azza wrote: August 19, 2022, 11:35 am
Raider Azz wrote: August 18, 2022, 11:10 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote:With Souths losing tonight, there is the possibility they will lose their remaining matches, against Cowboys and Roosters, meaning we will make the 8 if we win all our matches. A big if.
Careful Hong Kong Raider, i made that mere suggestion last week and the usual suspects all crawled out from under their rocks to mock me by telling me how dumb i sounded, and that souths couldn't possibly lose their remaining games

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk
Christ, do you always have to act so butthurt? If Souths lose all of their remaining matches and we win all ours and make the eight, great - but there's a strong likelihood it won't happen because we'll either cock up - as we usually seem to in key games this last couple of years - or they'll grab one of their two remaining games (contrary to some, I still think they are in pretty good form).
Always the negative one.

I think I prefer the scenario portrayed by Raider Azz which gives me hope, at the very least. However, let it not be me to suggest how to get your kicks.

Here are some other stats that you can rejoice if your negative opinion bears fruit.

We’ve only lost two games against sides in the bottom 8. Those two games were the refereeing disasters, that the referees boss “apologised” for against the Warriors and the Dragons. Let’s hope that form continues; I’m thinking you dont. And yes, I agree we should have won some of those games by bigger margins. Had we been one of the “favoured clubs” I’m sure we would have.

We’ve won 5 of the 11 games against sides currently in the top 8.

After Rnd 22 we’re on 2 more points that the whole of last season. Consider that we’ve played without the spine we trained for in our pre-season.

Many couch coaches on this forum. I’d bet none could have done better than our current coach.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Good thing none of us are being paid many hundreds of thousands of dollars to be the current coach.
Tell me CRad... have you ever been critical of a politican? any sporting coach? a teacher? a doctor? an architect? any athlete of any kind? Any professional that you're not absolutely qualified to do the job of?

Or is it just the HC of the Canberra Raiders who gets the protection of "You cant do better, so you dont get to have an opinion"?
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Botman wrote:Good thing none of us are being paid many hundreds of thousands of dollars to be the current coach.
Tell me CRad... have you ever been critical of a politican? any sporting coach? a teacher? a doctor? an architect? any athlete of any kind? Any professional that you're not absolutely qualified to do the job of?

Or is it just the HC of the Canberra Raiders who gets the protection of "You cant do better, so you dont get to have an opinion"?
Like a broken record this fellow . He makes me laugh Image

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Botman wrote: August 19, 2022, 10:16 pm
julian87 wrote: August 19, 2022, 10:06 pm I pretty much never bet on Canberra. But had a feeling early week and put a multi on that will now land me 1200 after the first 3 results if we win 13+

The odds are almost not worth hedging but I extra don't know if I can do Sunday now 🤣
well now we're ****

Thanks 'mate'
Haha but wait, I will hedge!

Haha
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
CRaid
Gary Coyne

Post by CRaid »

Botman wrote: August 19, 2022, 10:23 pm Good thing none of us are being paid many hundreds of thousands of dollars to be the current coach.

YES x 7, followed by
NO x 1

I hope that assists.
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

We need the Roosters to drop2/3 games or Broncos lose their last 2 games.
Still we must win our 3 games Knights A, Manly H, Tigers A.

Yet again it comes down to those games we just keep losing when we are 20 in front with 20 to go and end up losing by 20.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

InFernos_Raiders wrote: August 20, 2022, 2:59 am We need the Roosters to drop2/3 games or Broncos lose their last 2 games.
Still we must win our 3 games Knights A, Manly H, Tigers A.

Yet again it comes down to those games we just keep losing when we are 20 in front with 20 to go and end up losing by 20.
I reckon we win all three and either donkeys or eels drop 2 or all of their last games. Next week eels v donkeys, donkeys got smashed last night n eels have dogs today. Dogs did smash the eels early this year. Eels have donkeys next week n then Melbourne.We’re in with a chance pending we win the remaining 3, personally I would like to see the donkeys knocked out of the top 8 to make room for us…. Their points differential we can catch
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders cling to finals against Newcastle Knights

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart says Sunday’s clash with Newcastle could be a classic example of a team under pressure finding an extra gear.

"We don't want to be the club that cops a sting from a club in a little bit of a difficult situation," he said. "We've got to be very professional and diligent, get into the game and play for 80 minutes at a high standard."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14274
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

80 mins at a high standard.

We haven’t done that yet.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

-PJ- wrote: August 20, 2022, 6:58 am 80 mins at a high standard.

Nor finding an extra gear under pressure.
Last edited by Raider47 on August 20, 2022, 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yep, risky game here.

We just need to keep our heads and defend well. Not give them a sniff.

The points will come if we do the basics right.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Narrator: but alas, they didn't do the basics right. And Craid was found curled up in the foetal position with his thumb in his mouth under the shade of a coolabah tree that was dead 4 days later

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

CRaid wrote:
Azza wrote: August 19, 2022, 11:35 am
Raider Azz wrote: August 18, 2022, 11:10 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote:With Souths losing tonight, there is the possibility they will lose their remaining matches, against Cowboys and Roosters, meaning we will make the 8 if we win all our matches. A big if.
Careful Hong Kong Raider, i made that mere suggestion last week and the usual suspects all crawled out from under their rocks to mock me by telling me how dumb i sounded, and that souths couldn't possibly lose their remaining games

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk
Christ, do you always have to act so butthurt? If Souths lose all of their remaining matches and we win all ours and make the eight, great - but there's a strong likelihood it won't happen because we'll either cock up - as we usually seem to in key games this last couple of years - or they'll grab one of their two remaining games (contrary to some, I still think they are in pretty good form).
Always the negative one.

I think I prefer the scenario portrayed by Raider Azz which gives me hope, at the very least. However, let it not be me to suggest how to get your kicks.

Here are some other stats that you can rejoice if your negative opinion bears fruit.

We’ve only lost two games against sides in the bottom 8. Those two games were the refereeing disasters, that the referees boss “apologised” for against the Warriors and the Dragons. Let’s hope that form continues; I’m thinking you dont. And yes, I agree we should have won some of those games by bigger margins. Had we been one of the “favoured clubs” I’m sure we would have.

We’ve won 5 of the 11 games against sides currently in the top 8.

After Rnd 22 we’re on 2 more points that the whole of last season. Consider that we’ve played without the spine we trained for in our pre-season.

Many couch coaches on this forum. I’d bet none could have done better than our current coach.
We should never have been in a position to lose those games against the Warriors and Dragons, but it is a joke to be dudded twice like that in a season.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

These last few games would be a great time to start doing it though!
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

CRaid wrote: August 19, 2022, 10:17 pm Many couch coaches on this forum. I’d bet none could have done better than our current coach.
It reminds me of something Ian ‘Dicko’ Dickson once said when judging Australian Idol. One of the singers got a negative review from him, and she says “I’d like to see you come up here and sing it better!” Dicko’s reply was “I don’t need to be able to sing it better to know that you sang it badly”.

It’s the same with footy, or anything in life really. You don’t have to be able to do something better to know someone else is doing it poorly. Are the Wests Tigers a bad footy team? Yes. Could I play any better? He’ll no. Doesn’t mean I can’t judge their performances.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

We have 3 games against teams below us on the ladder. Win those and we finish on 30 points, which is usually enough to make the 8. We still need other results to go our way although that could well happen. Particularly after Broncos got smashed last night.

The run home for teams we're competing with are:

Bunnies - Cowboys, Roosters
Eels - Dogs, Broncos, Storm
Broncos - Eels, Dragons
Roosters - Tigers, Storm, Bunnies

We're not going to know till rnd 25
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Finchy wrote: August 20, 2022, 8:45 am
CRaid wrote: August 19, 2022, 10:17 pm Many couch coaches on this forum. I’d bet none could have done better than our current coach.
It reminds me of something Ian ‘Dicko’ Dickson once said when judging Australian Idol. One of the singers got a negative review from him, and she says “I’d like to see you come up here and sing it better!” Dicko’s reply was “I don’t need to be able to sing it better to know that you sang it badly”.

It’s the same with footy, or anything in life really. You don’t have to be able to do something better to know someone else is doing it poorly. Are the Wests Tigers a bad footy team? Yes. Could I play any better? He’ll no. Doesn’t mean I can’t judge their performances.
I don’t like this common sense Finchy.

In reality, there is only 1 person fully qualified to judge the performance of Ricky Stuart. And that, is Ricky Stuart.

He tells us no one looks at the game like him, no one sees what he sees. And he tells us he is the best man for the job. I guess we just have to believe him.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Botman wrote: August 20, 2022, 8:31 am

These last few games would be a great time to start doing it though!
Cmon Bot, there’s a 20min siesta built into the dna.

But I agree with you..let’s start playing for 80 2mrw.
CRaid
Gary Coyne

Post by CRaid »

Bait taken .. best part of the river haha

All small fry .. haven’t got the big one yet
Last edited by CRaid on August 20, 2022, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: August 20, 2022, 6:50 am Canberra Raiders cling to finals against Newcastle Knights

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart says Sunday’s clash with Newcastle could be a classic example of a team under pressure finding an extra gear.

"We don't want to be the club that cops a sting from a club in a little bit of a difficult situation," he said. "We've got to be very professional and diligent, get into the game and play for 80 minutes at a high standard."

100% agree with you Sticky. Now as the bloke charged with getting positive results for the Raiders, can you motivate our players to make it happen please? The Panthers have shown this round that a strong defensive side can win, even without their two best play makers. D is key for me. Papa said you have some new ideas from your couch watching. I'll settle for one new trick shot this weekend even if the execution is not perfect. Souths showed some innovation with wide chain passing to get outside the Panthers defensive line and it worked a couple of times. The Broncos tried an early kick for their speed men out wide and it looked promising. Wotchagot Stick.
Westsydneyraider
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Westsydneyraider »

Without going into all the different scenarios of who plays who IF ( and that’s a big if ) we win our remaining 3 games we will make the 8. End of.
Will we though ??
No we won’t, I’ve seen this movie before
CRaid
Gary Coyne

Post by CRaid »

Azza wrote: August 20, 2022, 7:59 am Narrator: but alas, they didn't do the basics right. And Craid was found curled up in the foetal position with his thumb in his mouth under the shade of a coolabah tree that was dead 4 days later
To quote the web ..
living rent free between those ears hey bud
Ron78
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by Ron78 »

We play the last game of the regular season, on a Sunday 4pm at Leichhardt Oval vs Tigers. We will well and truly know the scenario by then….and if the scenario is we beat the Tigers and we make the 8, I can see us stuffing that up royally!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

CRaid wrote:
Azza wrote: August 20, 2022, 7:59 am Narrator: but alas, they didn't do the basics right. And Craid was found curled up in the foetal position with his thumb in his mouth under the shade of a coolabah tree that was dead 4 days later
To quote the web ..
living rent free between those ears hey bud
I love you Image

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Ron78 wrote:We play the last game of the regular season, on a Sunday 4pm at Leichhardt Oval vs Tigers. We will well and truly know the scenario by then….and if the scenario is we beat the Tigers and we make the 8, I can see us stuffing that up royally!

You are now enemy number 403 of CRaid the crapulent

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

About two months ago I did the ladder predictor and had us finishing 9th. A few results going our way this week and 8th actually might be a chance. We could potentially play roosters in week 1, at that flash new stadium. I don't often attend away games but that could be a pretty awesome experience.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
CRaid
Gary Coyne

Post by CRaid »

Azza wrote: August 20, 2022, 11:24 am
Ron78 wrote:We play the last game of the regular season, on a Sunday 4pm at Leichhardt Oval vs Tigers. We will well and truly know the scenario by then….and if the scenario is we beat the Tigers and we make the 8, I can see us stuffing that up royally!

Why you always so butt hurt after I post dearey

Btw how much, where do I pay, and do you take afterpay
Last edited by CRaid on August 20, 2022, 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

RedRaider wrote:
greeneyed wrote: August 20, 2022, 6:50 am Canberra Raiders cling to finals against Newcastle Knights

100% agree with you Sticky. Now as the bloke charged with getting positive results for the Raiders, can you motivate our players to make it happen please? The Panthers have shown this round that a strong defensive side can win, even without their two best play makers. D is key for me. Papa said you have some new ideas from your couch watching. I'll settle for one new trick shot this weekend even if the execution is not perfect. Souths showed some innovation with wide chain passing to get outside the Panthers defensive line and it worked a couple of times. The Broncos tried an early kick for their speed men out wide and it looked promising. Wotchagot Stick.
People constantly bang on about our poor attack, but defence is definitely the key.

No team gets a 30 point winning margin when they concede 20.

We won't improve our attack until our discipline in defence improves.

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

CRaid wrote:
Azza wrote: August 20, 2022, 11:24 am

Why you always so butt hurt after I post dearey

Btw how much, where do I pay, and do you take afterpay

ImageImageImage

HoraceBigCigar
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Jason Croker

Post by HoraceBigCigar »

Raiders666 wrote: August 18, 2022, 11:48 am
The Nickman wrote: August 18, 2022, 11:37 am
Raiders666 wrote: August 18, 2022, 10:56 am
zim wrote: August 18, 2022, 10:51 am We're going to lose against the tigers somehow aren't we? Or finish in 9th with a 14-10 record.
It's going to be a 9th with a 14 -10 record... I'm just happy we are heading in the right direction after losing 5 in a row earlier in the year.
9th with a 14-10 record? Well that sounds like we have THIS year's excuse in the bag!

Three more years, three more years!!
Meh from where we were...It's been a decent turnaround.
C’mon guys look at the positives; 10th last year, 9th this year. At this rate will be top of the table by 2030! It’s da masta plan 😉
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Seiffert82 wrote: August 20, 2022, 12:22 pm
RedRaider wrote:

People constantly bang on about our poor attack, but defence is definitely the key.

No team gets a 30 point winning margin when they concede 20.

We won't improve our attack until our discipline in defence improves.

Disagree with this to a point. Our discipline needs to improve, 100%. But our defence isn’t too bad as a system, it’s where we do our defence that’s the big issue, and that relies on discipline (errors/penalties) and our attack, ie, where and when we hand over possession. For instance:

We average 303 tackles a match. Panthers average 302.

We are actually 3rd in the comp for avg# tackles in opposition 20, panthers 1st. We avg 30, panthers 34 per game.

We avg 28 missed tackles a game, panthers average 29 per game, so worse than us.

We average 3.4 tries conceded per game, Penrith average 2.3. We are actually 6th best for tries conceded.

We average 3.2 tries per game, 10th in comp. Panthers average 4.5 per game, 4th in comp.

We are right with the dragons/titans for points scored, and right with eels, rabbitohs and roosters for points conceded.

In all stats we are a top 8 quality team, except we are unable to convert our territory into points. That’s attack. If we clean that up, we give the opposition less ball (receiving kick off sets) and further improve the territory battle.

I’d say our attack should be the sole focus of our training and playing squad.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Who the **** is ron78 ?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Daniel
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

Post by Daniel »

Finchy wrote: August 20, 2022, 8:45 am It reminds me of something Ian ‘Dicko’ Dickson once said when judging Australian Idol. One of the singers got a negative review from him, and she says “I’d like to see you come up here and sing it better!” Dicko’s reply was “I don’t need to be able to sing it better to know that you sang it badly”.

That's a fair point, although it's also worth acknowledging that 'Dicko' was hired for entertainment value and ratings. It's doubtful that his comments and the way he delivered them actually helped anybody improve their singing. In fact, he probably caused long-lasting emotional distress to many of the contestants and their family and friends. I wouldn't view him as an example to follow.

Just food for thought. Doesn't mean you can't judge their performances.