Health and fitness

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

How healthy and happy are you?

Super healthy = Could trial for the Raiders
6%
Moderately healthy = I've got a six pack or at least I am trying to
34%
Slightly healthy = I eat junk and healthy stuff but I do walk (sometimes)
28%
Unhealthy = The only six pack I've got is for drinking
28%
Extremely unhealthy = Just don't ask
4%

Total votes: 53

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Health and fitness

Post by gerg »

EJ wrote:Yeah, India will be about 2500km by our own tuktuk. Did about 1000km in Sri Lanka in 2019 and it was an amazing time, so stepping it up to the big leagues Image

What jackets are you looking at? I've just bought a new shell myself, Zeolite from Kathmandu. Made from Gore-Tex Shakedry. Super light and packable and proper waterproof not just resistant. Also very breathable compared to other jackets. So all the reviews and marketing say anyway. Haven't put it to the test yet since it's finally stopped raining.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
I was looking at the outdoor research helium from Mont but open to other options. Does that zeolite meet the UTA mandatory gear standards? Not a huge fan of the colour of the zeolite tbh.

https://www.mont.com.au/collections/tra ... jacket-men

Edit: 2500k. Amazing. How long have you got there to explore? Do you have a plan or just going with the flow?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

I got a Salomon bonatti- love it.

I’m working for IRONMAN now, so depending on which event I’m at that weekend I’ll be working, all hands on deck.

I will however be entering Tarawera tomorrow…. The Miler.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Helium is cool, I had my eyes on that for years but never justified a new purchase.

I considered the Bonatti instead of the Zeolite! Zeolite was cheaper and Bonatti seemed to have that extra space for running vest but for my purposes I wanted a tighter fit. Both Shakedry material tho, I'm sure you can't go wrong.

Yeah basically India, you're given a start line (Kochi) and a finish line (Jaisalmer) and a tuktuk. Get the tuktuk to the end in 14 days, by whatever means necessary. So time restriction aside, you do as you please.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Coastalraider wrote:I got a Salomon bonatti- love it.

I’m working for IRONMAN now, so depending on which event I’m at that weekend I’ll be working, all hands on deck.

I will however be entering Tarawera tomorrow…. The Miler.
Awesome. Tarawera is another bucket list race.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

EJ wrote:Helium is cool, I had my eyes on that for years but never justified a new purchase.

I considered the Bonatti instead of the Zeolite! Zeolite was cheaper and Bonatti seemed to have that extra space for running vest but for my purposes I wanted a tighter fit. Both Shakedry material tho, I'm sure you can't go wrong.

Yeah basically India, you're given a start line (Kochi) and a finish line (Jaisalmer) and a tuktuk. Get the tuktuk to the end in 14 days, by whatever means necessary. So time restriction aside, you do as you please.

Is that an 'amazing race' type of competition? Got a link you could share?
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

It's not an actual race. It's just a choose your own adventure type of thing, end capped with a couple of parties with the other tuktuk teams. It's a bit hectic but that's the point.

https://www.theadventurists.com/rickshaw-run-india/

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

EJ wrote:It's not an actual race. It's just a choose your own adventure type of thing, end capped with a couple of parties with the other tuktuk teams. It's a bit hectic but that's the point.

Haha, that looks **** awesome mate. I wouldn't do it now because my guts explode at the mere sight of a dodgy curry, but 20 years ago I would have been all in. Send me a link to your fund raising page - I'm not wealthy by any means but I'll throw you a donation.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

EJ wrote:It's not an actual race. It's just a choose your own adventure type of thing, end capped with a couple of parties with the other tuktuk teams. It's a bit hectic but that's the point.

"Born on new year’s eve way back in 2006, this absolute behemoth of an adventure has seen legions of fools facing up to the gauntlet of spanning the rather excellent sub-continent in the ubiquitous 3 wheeled rolling ****. Mountains, deserts, bad roads no roads and traffic chaos, crouches like a tiger of disruption to stop you reaching your goal.

It takes about 2 weeks of getting lost and stuck to stumble over the finish line (if you do). During which you will hopefully break down repeatedly and probably topple over. Glorious."

Sensational!
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Just tipped the scales at 79.7. First time I’ve ever seen a 7 at the start of my weight.

Not too sure what to do with myself now. Goal practically done.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Just tipped the scales at 79.7. First time I’ve ever seen a 7 at the start of my weight.

Celebratory buffet dinner?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Dr Zaius wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Just tipped the scales at 79.7. First time I’ve ever seen a 7 at the start of my weight.

Celebratory buffet dinner?
Ha! Yeah I should just tonk it and start over again
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 13, 2022, 5:24 pm Just tipped the scales at 79.7. First time I’ve ever seen a 7 at the start of my weight.

Congrats on the personal milestone Fui.

79 kegs is about 10 PJs ago.

Now it’s time to let yourself go.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

How's training going coastal? I'm guess you got that Tarawera (spelling?) entry?

I'm a bit concerned about this La Nina news. UTA will probably be postponed again. That would be pretty demoralising after a big training block.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I just knocked off Run Larapinta.

Four stages over 4 days - 20, 41, 31 and 45km. Over 4000m elevation.

Absolutely brutal. Exposed, rocky, treacherous
But stunningly beautiful.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Quick google, looks awesome. I'll have a better read after work.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote: August 17, 2022, 10:25 am Quick google, looks awesome. I'll have a better read after work.

I've been following along with his photos on Facebook. The ****'s off his **** head.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Looks like a bucket list race with a steadily growing number of entrants. I've never been to that part of Australia so I'll have to think about this one.

EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Dr Zaius wrote:I just knocked off Run Larapinta.

Sounds mad. How'd did your body feel backing up each day? I presume coming into second day was alright, but after that?

EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

gergreg wrote:How's training going coastal? I'm guess you got that Tarawera (spelling?) entry?

I'm a bit concerned about this La Nina news. UTA will probably be postponed again. That would be pretty demoralising after a big training block.

Has training been going well regardless?

I don't know about the rest of the course but from QVH on its a bit of a mess. Trees still falling onto the track pretty regularly, odd small rock fall too. Surface itself not too bad apart from directly around QVH.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I've started doing a 40 hour fast most weeks from about 9pm Sunday night to 1pm Tuesday, coupled with running 6km Monday morning (at about the 9hr fast mark) playing touch footy Monday night (usually about 21-22hrs in) and a final 6km run Tuesday morning (about the 33hr mark). Feels real good afterwards.

Guess which of the three activities is the hardest (not counting the fast haha)? Guess which one is the easiest?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

EJ wrote:
gergreg wrote:How's training going coastal? I'm guess you got that Tarawera (spelling?) entry?

Has training been going well regardless?

I don't know about the rest of the course but from QVH on its a bit of a mess. Trees still falling onto the track pretty regularly, odd small rock fall too. Surface itself not too bad apart from directly around QVH.

Getting back on track. Those 4 weeks where I was sick hasn't been ideal, but back up to 25k last Saturday, with a 10 on Sunday. Looking to do a 30+ and 15 this weekend. My plan had me doing a 50 on Saturday but I'm just cautious of upping it too quickly. I really hope it goes ahead after all this training but safety is important.

How's your training? That tuktuk event looks like you'll need to practice chugging beers. :)

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote:I've started doing a 40 hour fast most weeks from about 9pm Sunday night to 1pm Tuesday, coupled with running 6km Monday morning (at about the 9hr fast mark) playing touch footy Monday night (usually about 21-22hrs in) and a final 6km run Tuesday morning (about the 33hr mark). Feels real good afterwards.

Guess which of the three activities is the hardest (not counting the fast haha)? Guess which one is the easiest?
That's pretty intense. I imagine the kilos are falling off? I've never fasted so only guessing but I imagine you smash through the hunger wall at about 8 to 12 hours then get used to it a little. So first is hardest, last is easiest?

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote: August 23, 2022, 1:08 pm
The Nickman wrote:I've started doing a 40 hour fast most weeks from about 9pm Sunday night to 1pm Tuesday, coupled with running 6km Monday morning (at about the 9hr fast mark) playing touch footy Monday night (usually about 21-22hrs in) and a final 6km run Tuesday morning (about the 33hr mark). Feels real good afterwards.

That's pretty intense. I imagine the kilos are falling off? I've never fasted so only guessing but I imagine you smash through the hunger wall at about 8 to 12 hours then get used to it a little. So first is hardest, last is easiest?

Nah, not really, I think I'm about the weight I'm going to be always without some serious life changes (giving up the beers, KFC hot and spicy etc). I don't fast for weightloss these days, moreso for the health benefits, I'm extremely happy with my weight and body shape.

And yeah, you're 100% spot on, the first run on Monday sucks, the game Monday night is actually much easier than if I've had lunch (I generally play full games now without subs) and the last run (this morning) was easy as.

It genuinely is amazing how much energy you have the further you go into a fast. Also the high. As I currently sit I'm approaching 42 hours (I'm eating again tonight at about the 46 hour mark) and the endorphins are off the chart. I liken it to the feeling after a ten km run.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

40hr fast?! That does sound intense. Kevin Smith recently said in one of his Podcasts that he’ll go on fasts for days and it’s great for him with writing. Im kind of intrigued to give it a go.

My weight has stabilised between 80 / 81. I get into the 79’s sometimes, but that’s fleeting. The gut is still getting smaller though, which is now my main thing.

Nickman's love of NSW
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I've let myself go for a few months and blew out to about 92, now after ramping up my training in the past month I'm at about 88. Need to get below 85 at the least. Sucks to have such a sweet tooth, but just gradually skipping dessert.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote:

Nah, not really, I think I'm about the weight I'm going to be always without some serious life changes (giving up the beers, KFC hot and spicy etc). I don't fast for weightloss these days, moreso for the health benefits, I'm extremely happy with my weight and body shape.

And yeah, you're 100% spot on, the first run on Monday sucks, the game Monday night is actually much easier than if I've had lunch (I generally play full games now without subs) and the last run (this morning) was easy as.

It genuinely is amazing how much energy you have the further you go into a fast. Also the high. As I currently sit I'm approaching 42 hours (I'm eating again tonight at about the 46 hour mark) and the endorphins are off the chart. I liken it to the feeling after a ten km run.
Life without beer and fried chicken ain't worth living.

Are you allowed anything other than water when you're fasting?

I'm mixing my training up at the moment. Just finished 4,000 stairs. 45 laps of the work stairwell.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: August 23, 2022, 5:59 pm 40hr fast?! That does sound intense. Kevin Smith recently said in one of his Podcasts that he’ll go on fasts for days and it’s great for him with writing. Im kind of intrigued to give it a go.

My weight has stabilised between 80 / 81. I get into the 79’s sometimes, but that’s fleeting. The gut is still getting smaller though, which is now my main thing.
Actually made it to 46 hours today before I broke my fast by cracking my first beer. And my god, did it taste delicious!

Gonna follow it up with a big pot of chicken alfredo... Erin will be lucky to get any.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote: August 23, 2022, 6:53 pm
The Nickman wrote:

I'm mixing my training up at the moment. Just finished 4,000 stairs. 45 laps of the work stairwell.

Water and green tea during the day and two black coffees in the morning. That's it.

And trust me on this one from someone who has been fasting now for a few years... you will never feel this healthy again in your adult life.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

gergreg wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

Yeah we’re on the same page Gerg. My routine has been the Fui certified “If I should be on a train, I gotta go and train.”

So I’m at a point where I can eat what I like (albeit smaller portions) because I know with my hour a day training, I’ll burn it off.

Nickman's love of NSW
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
gergreg wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

Yeah we’re on the same page Gerg. My routine has been the Fui certified “If I should be on a train, I gotta go and train.”

So I’m at a point where I can eat what I like (albeit smaller portions) because I know with my hour a day training, I’ll burn it off.
When I was living in the US I was smashing down that NY cheesecake with 'full' bowls of peanut butter ice cream. But running just about every arvo - back when I was much quicker and a few pants sizes smaller.

Not sure I could do the fasting Nickman. I went years without eating breakfast but now it's a real solid part of the routine. Fruit with yoghurt and nuts every morning, then tuna, cheese and tomato toasty on w/e.

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

I’ve been 8:16ing for over a year now, and I barely notice it. I basically fast until Midday, then eat from Midday - 8pm. It works for me, I thought I’d miss breakfast, but you can eat breakfast anytime.

Nickman's love of NSW
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: August 23, 2022, 8:03 pm I’ve been 8:16ing for over a year now, and I barely notice it. I basically fast until Midday, then eat from Midday - 8pm. It works for me, I thought I’d miss breakfast, but you can eat breakfast anytime.
That's how I started, ten years ago before fasting was even a thing. Except I was skipping dinner.

But when I started actually fasting three years ago I was doing the same as you, no food until lunchtime (1pm for me). What you need to do now is one a week skip lunch as well, now you've done a 20-24 hour fast.

From there you skip that dinner and the following breakfast and you're in the 40-hour fast territory. That's when all the sexy stuff starts to happen with your body's immune system.

Here's a good hour-by-hour guide of what happens when you fast. With a 16 hour fast you're really only interested in weight loss:

https://www.inhousestudiofitness.com.au ... nt-fasting
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

EJ wrote:

Sounds mad. How'd did your body feel backing up each day? I presume coming into second day was alright, but after that?

Surprisingly good. I had my doubts after a stage, but always pulled up well the next morning. I'd done the hard yards, running 90km or more a week in the lead up, often with back to back big runs on the weekend, so was used to running on tired legs. I tapered well, so started off fresh. I started recovering straight after each stage - changed clothes, ate, drank, wore recovery skins overnight. Seemed to all come together.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: August 24, 2022, 6:08 pm
EJ wrote:

Surprisingly good. I had my doubts after a stage, but always pulled up well the next morning. I'd done the hard yards, running 90km or more a week in the lead up, often with back to back big runs on the weekend, so was used to running on tired legs. I tapered well, so started off fresh. I started recovering straight after each stage - changed clothes, ate, drank, wore recovery skins overnight. Seemed to all come together.
Man I got a last minute entry offer for that but couldn’t make it work. Sounds epic and 100% on the to do list. With the Overland track marathon. Iconic areas, must do.

Winter has been horrible. Trained up for a multi day mtb race and it hit cancelled the week before. Fell in a bit of a hole. Started training up right Jabulani 45k, had a fall and slipped the cuboid in my foot, lost about 4 more weeks of running. Started again this week, have Sydney Marathon soon. Also had a colleague run OCC and utmb overnight, so the motivation is coming back!
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Health and fitness

Had a bit of a scary weekend in the Fui household. I got this pain in my chest 2 weeks ago. I figured it was a muscle strain from my weights training, so I rested for a week. Got back into my weight Monday, and the pain came back Wed, and just lingered.

I thought I’d play it safe and go to the local GP, in the hopes they’d tell me I was being silly.

Doc 1: Does these tests, finds when I imitate a push up, I got this stabbing pain in the ribs. Says it’s likely a strain. Plugs me up to an ECG. Tells me the results are weird, and it looks like my “Heart is dying.” She tells me I’m the 2nd person in a row to display this reading. So she tells me to go to a different medical centre and get a reading.

Doc 2: Looks at the ECG results Doc 1 produced, and said it’s nothing, I’m right, it’s likely a strain. Plugs me up to the ECG, result comes back the same. He tells me there’s nothing to worry about. When I asked why I have the same result, but two very conflicting determinations, he tells me Doc 1 probably read the results wrong. Doc 2 sets me up for a blood test.

I go back to Doc 1, show her the results and tell her I’m confused and pretty worried, because I don’t know which Doc to believe. She tells me she didn’t think there was anything to be worried about, because it’s been going on for 2 weeks, and flared up when I got back into working out. She just wanted to confirm the reading, but is confused that I’ve got the same result from 2 different machines.

Doc 3: Blood results are back, so I go to Doc 3. She says everything is fine from the blood test. She has a look at the ECG and finds I have a minor block. Tells me it’s not anything to worry about, but it’ll be worth seeing a specialist, because it might be an issue long term. Specialist appointment booked for Monday week, getting a chest X-ray tomorrow.

So… 3 doctors, General gist is I’m ok… but 3 varying opinions. I think I’m ok? See what this heart guy says next week, and I’ll try having some rest from the weights. The ECG on my Apple Watch seems to suggest all is well also, but not sure how accurate it is.

Nickman's love of NSW