The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: 2022 Rd 23 V Knights: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by The Nickman »

yeh raiders wrote: August 17, 2022, 2:22 pm
The Nickman wrote: August 17, 2022, 1:57 pm
yeh raiders wrote: August 17, 2022, 1:48 pm
raiderskater wrote: August 16, 2022, 7:51 pm Frustrating that Cotric feels the need to succumb to his name being pronounced wrongly just because people are too lazy and stupid to pronounce it correctly. It's not even that hard.
Chotchritch ... it's a commentators nightmare, that unfortunately was never going to work. Nothing to do with laziness or stupidity, it's a mouthful on the fly and painful to hear them try.

They're completely butchering Junior Paulo too. Yvonne Sampson legit named him after the place you go for a beer on Sunday arvo - Junior "Bowlo".

Only two days ago I had a client ask for clarification on how my surname is pronounced. They're not too dissimilar, but I opted to go with the Aussie sound, it's just easier and sounds better anyway.
I didn't know there was more than one way to pronounce "raiders"... is it pronounced Ray-eye-ders??
Depends how much you've had at the Bowlo !
I'll bet you always have to spell "yeh" out for people over the phone too?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2022 Rd 23 V Knights: Teams and Previews

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart back to work with new ideas for Canberra Raiders

Coach Ricky Stuart’s return to training has given Canberra a boost – and some new ideas -ahead of their must-win NRL clash with crisis-hit Newcastle on Sunday.

“He’s come in with so many good ideas. Sitting at home with the pen and paper coming up with all these other plays,” Josh Papalii said.

Read more: https://canberraweekly.com.au/ricky-stu ... r-raiders/

PODCAST: Behind the Limelight: Don Furner: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2022/08 ... on-furner/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Worth listening to Don Furner on the Behind the Limelight podcast. He says they have three spots open for next year, want to leave some space for young players to come through, in no rush to recruit from outside, can pick players up late.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Are the players you pick up late likely to be good players...?

*crickets*
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

We have “other plays”?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

yeh raiders wrote: August 17, 2022, 1:48 pm
raiderskater wrote: August 16, 2022, 7:51 pm Frustrating that Cotric feels the need to succumb to his name being pronounced wrongly just because people are too lazy and stupid to pronounce it correctly. It's not even that hard.
Chotchritch ... it's a commentators nightmare, that unfortunately was never going to work. Nothing to do with laziness or stupidity, it's a mouthful on the fly and painful to hear them try.

They're completely butchering Junior Paulo too. Yvonne Sampson legit named him after the place you go for a beer on Sunday arvo - Junior "Bowlo".

Only two days ago I had a client ask for clarification on how my surname is pronounced. They're not too dissimilar, but I opted to go with the Aussie sound, it's just easier and sounds better anyway.
Well we did have a jack Woolford playing for us on Sunday and a "blue trainer"....

At least Yvonne got a bit closer lol 😆
Vaccinated
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: August 17, 2022, 3:03 pm Worth listening to the Don Furner on the Behind the Limelight podcast. He says they have three spots open for next year, want to leave some space for young players to come through, in no rush to recruit from outside, can pick players up late.
Oh great. I mean that tactic has backfired with a stale and underperforming squad every other time...

BUT that was usually after succesful years. By not even recruiting after a year in which we stink, surely the opposite happens and we win the comp! They've cracked the system, "it's hard to actively recruit so we'll just overpay our current guys and walk around picking up used cigarrette butts instead." Noice!
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Ricky has a big pile of new ideas for the weekend.

Oh this should be good.
Up The Milk
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Mickey_Raider wrote:Ricky has a big pile of new ideas for the weekend.

Oh this should be good.
Sounds like he might have spent the weekend watching other teams play.

“Right guys, hear me out. We’re going to use all 4 members of the bench this week.”
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Ricky comes up with new ideas and plays after sitting at home with a pen and paper, says Papa. Only one response here:
Ricky should sit at home more often.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Straight from the Betoota Advocate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders wary of under-fire Newcastle Knights making NRL debut memorable

No Kalyn Ponga, no Bradman Best, no worries? No way. Corey Harawira-Naera is expecting Newcastle to come out firing for their debutant Krystian Mapapalangi.

"I think they're giving a young kid a run up there. If we have a young guy debut it's a pretty special day for them so we try to get a win. I think they'll be up for it because they want to make it a memorable one for him.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Ricky Stuart's couch helps Canberra Raiders' attack ahead of crucial Newcastle Knights clash

The Canberra Raiders' attack could have a few extra tricks up their sleeve following coach Ricky Stuart's enforced week off.

"Our for-and-against isn't that good," Corey Harawira-Naera said. "It's not on our side if we end up finishing on the same points as others. There's a few games this year that we could've helped that out a bit, but we've let teams back into the game.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

MATCH PREVIEW: Raiders v Knights: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35275

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2022/08 ... v-knights/
Greenev
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Greenev »

Ah so Ricky has came up with a few new plays?

Let me guess, wighton drifts to the other side of the field gives short to whitehead runs around him for whitehead to either pass out the back or flat to timoko

Sweet, I love variety
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Stop the opposition from scoring easy points on the back of errors and penalties. That's one way to improve our F/A.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Re: 2022 Rd 23 V Knights: Game Day

Post by Lucky »

Uh oh.... grant atkins and gerard sutton combo :cry: were doomed...........

but hey, at least theres no ponga to carve us up like usual. we should be winning this one by 16 plus if were serious.
Daniel
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

Post by Daniel »

greeneyed wrote: August 17, 2022, 3:03 pm Worth listening to Don Furner on the Behind the Limelight podcast. He says they have three spots open for next year, want to leave some space for young players to come through, in no rush to recruit from outside, can pick players up late.
Thanks for the suggestion, GE. It was a good listen.

Don sounded pretty upbeat about the possibility of Harry Rushton returning to the club one day. He just needs to spend some time back home and establish himself in the Super League before taking another crack at the NRL, hopefully with Canberra (3-min mark of podcast if anyone's interested).

I reckon he'll thrive at Huddersfield under a very good development coach (Ian Watson).
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Is this Ricky finally recognising that our attack is sub par? Lol
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

Daniel wrote: August 18, 2022, 12:10 am
greeneyed wrote: August 17, 2022, 3:03 pm Worth listening to Don Furner on the Behind the Limelight podcast. He says they have three spots open for next year, want to leave some space for young players to come through, in no rush to recruit from outside, can pick players up late.
Thanks for the suggestion, GE. It was a good listen.

Don sounded pretty upbeat about the possibility of Harry Rushton returning to the club one day. He just needs to spend some time back home and establish himself in the Super League before taking another crack at the NRL, hopefully with Canberra (3-min mark of podcast if anyone's interested).

I reckon he'll thrive at Huddersfield under a very good development coach (Ian Watson).
Interesting on Rushton I hope part of the agreement to release him was we retain his rights to play in the NRL.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

It’s deeply concerning that a 20 year first grade coach only comes up with new attacking strategies and ideas while watching the game from his couch like a bum, and couldn’t come up with any attacking improvements when reviewing thousands of games and running training and review sessions week to week.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Raiders puff pieces, truth and reality are not always aligned, but it is always amusing to see the outrage they cause.

I’d wager there is an end of season case of beer riding on who could sell the silliest made up headline throughout the year. This is just Ricky’s last ditch effort to knock Adam Elliott out of pole position, but even a coach supposedly having an enlightened moment on the couch at home isn’t as out there Adam Elliot claiming to have read Sun Tzu as match preparation.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Raiders_Pat wrote:Is this Ricky finally recognising that our attack is sub par? Lol
He does watch the game more closely than the rest of us.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Finchy wrote:It’s deeply concerning that a 20 year first grade coach only comes up with new attacking strategies and ideas while watching the game from his couch like a bum, and couldn’t come up with any attacking improvements when reviewing thousands of games and running training and review sessions week to week.
Haha. He possibly came to the conclusion when he kicked a chair in the loungeroom and took out the TV.

Welcome to the club Sticky. It's a fun ride.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Finchy wrote: August 18, 2022, 6:55 am It’s deeply concerning that a 20 year first grade coach only comes up with new attacking strategies and ideas while watching the game from his couch like a bum, and couldn’t come up with any attacking improvements when reviewing thousands of games and running training and review sessions week to week.
He's very keen to tell us that fans don't see the game the way he does. We couldn't possibly know or understand the intricacies of this very complicated game... but apparently seeing the game just like the rest of us beer bums was a mind altering experience. :lol:
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Wow Manly won't be able to field a team next week the way it's going...Garrick out for the season now
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

We're going to lose against the tigers somehow aren't we? Or finish in 9th with a 14-10 record.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

zim wrote: August 18, 2022, 10:51 am We're going to lose against the tigers somehow aren't we? Or finish in 9th with a 14-10 record.
It's going to be a 9th with a 14 -10 record... I'm just happy we are heading in the right direction after losing 5 in a row earlier in the year.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

greeneyed wrote: August 17, 2022, 2:36 pm Ricky Stuart back to work with new ideas for Canberra Raiders
Play 1 - everyone should pass the ball to jack
Play 2 - when jack doesnt have the ball, the other players should be asking “hey, why doesnt jack have the ball?”
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Raiders666 wrote: August 18, 2022, 10:56 am
zim wrote: August 18, 2022, 10:51 am We're going to lose against the tigers somehow aren't we? Or finish in 9th with a 14-10 record.
It's going to be a 9th with a 14 -10 record... I'm just happy we are heading in the right direction after losing 5 in a row earlier in the year.
9th with a 14-10 record? Well that sounds like we have THIS year's excuse in the bag!

Three more years, three more years!!
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

The Nickman wrote: August 18, 2022, 11:37 am
Raiders666 wrote: August 18, 2022, 10:56 am
9th with a 14-10 record? Well that sounds like we have THIS year's excuse in the bag!

Three more years, three more years!!
Meh from where we were...It's been a decent turnaround.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

I find it hilarious that most here tipped us to finish 8th -16th at the start of the season and then act all surprised and angry when we play accordingly :lol:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Raiders666 wrote: August 18, 2022, 11:51 am I find it hilarious that most here tipped us to finish 8th -16th at the start of the season and then act all surprised and angry when we play accordingly :lol:
I think you can probably cross the words "surprised and" out in that statement, and then it's really not that hilarious a situation.

Just because somebody tips the team to go poorly, doesn't mean they forego the right to be pissed off about it.

Again, all this is an indictment on your boy Rocky, not an endorsement of him.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

The Nickman wrote: August 18, 2022, 11:54 am
Raiders666 wrote: August 18, 2022, 11:51 am I find it hilarious that most here tipped us to finish 8th -16th at the start of the season and then act all surprised and angry when we play accordingly :lol:
I think you can probably cross the words "surprised and" out in that statement, and then it's really not that hilarious a situation.

Just because somebody tips the team to go poorly, doesn't mean they forego the right to be pissed off about it.

Again, all this is an indictment on your boy Rocky, not an endorsement of him.
Hey I'm down for a new coach as much as anyone here.. I just don't complain about it all the time because life isn't all about a game of footy for me anymore.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

:thumbsup I'm just happy the boys keep winning
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

greeneyed wrote: August 17, 2022, 2:36 pm Ricky Stuart back to work with new ideas for Canberra Raiders
I can just imagine these new plays Stuart has come up with.

'He thinks about faking. He pretends to fake.'
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Raiders666 wrote: August 18, 2022, 11:58 am :thumbsup I'm just happy the boys keep winning
Come on mate. Just pretend for a bit the coach has never watched a game at home before for the lols.