NFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: August 4, 2022, 7:07 am Interesting question raised about the Dolphins penalty for tampering. How does Brady and his agent escape penalty too? These talks were a two way street.
Apparently the onus is purely on the clubs... there is sort of tacit acceptance that players and agents will do what is in their best interests and it's up to the clubs to shut it down and say "No, this is tampering, we cant have this talk"

i mean it's all a bit eye rolling anyways, tampering in the NFL is absolutely rife :lol:
But i think you're right about the old Al Capone trial analogy
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

The Steelers listed QB Mitch Trubisky as the starter on their initial depth chart. :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao

Steelers’ QB Mason Rudolph is listed as the backup and rookie QB Kenny Pickett is third string.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Matt wrote: August 6, 2022, 2:58 pm The Steelers listed QB Mitch Trubisky as the starter on their initial depth chart. :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao

Steelers’ QB Mason Rudolph is listed as the backup and rookie QB Kenny Pickett is third string.
Probably about right. They drafted a guy in the 1st round whose tape suggests he's not as good as the other two QBs on their roster.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Firmly in the "its just training camp" but AJ Brown is apparently lighting up camp, and Jordan Davis has a rep on twitter where he's just walking our 2nd round centre back with ease... which could be viewed in one of two ways, and i side firmly on "Cam Jurgens is good and holy ****, Jordan Davis is a monster" but homers gotta homer.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Ravens unbeaten preseason streak continues. Haven't lost since 2015. 21 straight games
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: August 12, 2022, 9:50 pm Ravens unbeaten preseason streak continues. Haven't lost since 2015. 21 straight games
And 19-1-1 against the spread! :lol:
Outrageous streak
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Really happy with the Eagles first pre season game
The thing to look for imo is do the rookies look the part and on that front:

- Cam Jurgens had i think one bad rep where he got over powered in a bull rush, but he carved out a huge hole on the goal line to help punch in a TD, and when he pulls and is in space, its really easy to see the Kelce comps. There was a a screen pass to Sanders in the opening series and it was like watching Kelce... Fluidly got up to the 2nd level, picked up a body and blacked him back into the goal line

- Jordan Davis is going to be a problem. Not sure how many snaps he'll get because his motor. But you're not running on him and he showed in the first pre season game that he's capable of impacting the passing game.

- It was said Nakobe Dean had some injury that might rule him out for his first season which is why he fell. No signs of that in game 1. He was flying around, and making plays. Excited to have him and Kyzir White finally put some NFL talent in the Eagles LB room.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: August 15, 2022, 10:22 am Really happy with the Eagles first pre season game
The thing to look for imo is do the rookies look the part and on that front:

- Cam Jurgens had i think one bad rep where he got over powered in a bull rush, but he carved out a huge hole on the goal line to help punch in a TD, and when he pulls and is in space, its really easy to see the Kelce comps. There was a a screen pass to Sanders in the opening series and it was like watching Kelce... Fluidly got up to the 2nd level, picked up a body and blacked him back into the goal line

- Jordan Davis is going to be a problem. Not sure how many snaps he'll get because his motor. But you're not running on him and he showed in the first pre season game that he's capable of impacting the passing game.

- It was said Nakobe Dean had some injury that might rule him out for his first season which is why he fell. No signs of that in game 1. He was flying around, and making plays. Excited to have him and Kyzir White finally put some NFL talent in the Eagles LB room.
I was big on Jurgens heading into the draft and thought he'd be great for Dolphins at the back end of the 3rd. Mid 2nd round was higher than expected although it seems like "positional value" for centres is going up lately. Reckon Creed Humphrey had some influence there. I always thought Centres were undervalued at draft time so the market could be correcting itself.

Overall I thought the Eagles nailed the draft this year. On top of some good veteran acquisitions I'd call them locks for NFC East and will be a genuine threat in playoffs too. A lot will ride on Hurts becoming a consistent NFL calibre QB. He doesn't need to be another Pat Mahomes as most of the other pieces are in place. Overall a well balanced roster.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: August 13, 2022, 9:43 am
Matt wrote: August 12, 2022, 9:50 pm Ravens unbeaten preseason streak continues. Haven't lost since 2015. 21 straight games
And 19-1-1 against the spread! :lol:
Outrageous streak
:lol:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

What I know about the Cowboys game...
17 penalties for 129yds... ooph! Horrible.

We had possibly 4 starters on offence, but they played between a quarter and a half of footy. 3 were offensive line.

Smith pancakes people! Had a few. However, he got 2 holds (1 was 100% BS - think The Blindside, flagged for "excessive blocking") and contributed to a sack.

Turpin and Housten are turning heads. They look like making the roster.

Tolbert was better at the combined training than the game apparently.

Running game went at 5 a carry. Pretty good with a no name OL and no name RBs.

We had 2 or 3 possible starters on D... the rookies.

Williams got a dodgey roughing the passer call.

Joseph got beat... a lot apparently. In danger of being cut too.

Run D conceded 32yds. They gave up 200+ to Denver last yr. Yes, reserves vs NFL, but still.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

It's always the bad raiders seasons that have me itching for NFL more
Doing a ton of fantasy drafts at the moment and I am at a fever pitch for NFL season.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Desahun Watson cops 11 match suspension and $5m fine from the NFL. Not quite a full season yet enough to railroad the Browns for 2022. Whether ironic or planned, his first eligible game is against the Texans. S
Maybe intended as some kind of punishment for his former team.

$5m fine also overcomes the contract shenanigans where Browns were paying him minimal base salary for 2022 due to his likely suspension. Won't affect Browns cap figure this year but hurts the hip pocket of Watson.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: August 19, 2022, 8:46 am Desahun Watson cops 11 match suspension and $5m fine from the NFL. Not quite a full season yet enough to railroad the Browns for 2022. Whether ironic or planned, his first eligible game is against the Texans. S
Maybe intended as some kind of punishment for his former team.

$5m fine also overcomes the contract shenanigans where Browns were paying him minimal base salary for 2022 due to his likely suspension. Won't affect Browns cap figure this year but hurts the hip pocket of Watson.
Just saw this.
Its a mess TBH, but at least the Browns being bad will bring back the status quo
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Jimmy G going to end up at the Browns for the season?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

President Clinton wrote: August 19, 2022, 9:29 am Jimmy G going to end up at the Browns for the season?
After the assets the Browns gave up for Watson I doubt they will offload any more for a stop gap measure to fill in 11 games. Likely going to wash the 2022 season and play the long game. If they do trade it will be for a better quality backup to fill the gap. Jacoby Brissett sure isn't one. Don't know why they didn't throw some decent coin at Teddy B when he was a FA knowing this situation was coming. They kept enough cap space to do it. Dolphins got him for 1 yr at $6.5m. I'm sure they could have trumped that.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah i dont think they'll go down the Jimmy G route
He's just good enough that if they're 8-3, it could be a messy situation... where as Brissett is a career back up and no one will even think about a QB controversy if he performs well

Think they'll take their medicine, try have a very quiet everyone STFU season and come back next year ready to chase a title
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Fantasy leagues. I haven't played in years and would like to get back into it. Any suggestions?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: August 19, 2022, 4:48 pm Fantasy leagues. I haven't played in years and would like to get back into it. Any suggestions?
I love them... re-draft, dynasty, empire, IDP, SuperFlex, vampire, guilotine, best ball, TE premium, auction... there is no league type that im not in :lol:
I reckon if you want to dip the toes back in, start with some best ball leagues

Best Ball is a newish format where it's really just drafting... the site automatically sets your optimal line up and most points in the season win. There are sites running a lot of best ball leagues right now, $10-20 buy in, winner takes all, but because of the format it requires absolutely no in season management. It's just draft your team and see how you go

if you're wanting to week to week experience, i'd suggest just jumping into a random ESPN league, you can rip into a draft and manage the team, see how you go, see if you enjoy that. It's probably the best platform to just join a random group and play some fantasy
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Thnx. Based on that I'll give the ESPN one a go. Not interested in a set and forget format. Hardly worth playing.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Turpin just returned a kick off to the house. 98yds (20.95 mph)

Add a 86yd punt return (20.86 mph)
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Preseason Week 2 just about wrapped up. This one has been notable for the lack of top players taking part. Most teams are keeping their QB1 on ice for the regular season. Next week will see all the players battling for final roster spots and most locked in starters will not suit up.

Botmam, we have Phins @ Pheagles phor the phinal phootball game of preseason. A good opportunity to compare our backups and practice squad players.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: August 22, 2022, 9:32 am Preseason Week 2 just about wrapped up. This one has been notable for the lack of top players taking part. Most teams are keeping their QB1 on ice for the regular season. Next week will see all the players battling for final roster spots and most locked in starters will not suit up.

Botmam, we have Phins @ Pheagles phor the phinal phootball game of preseason. A good opportunity to compare our backups and practice squad players.

Delightful! I quite like the way the pre season is now, just gives a ton more young blokes a chance to prove they can contribute.

Hopefully get a chance to see Allen get loose again
Its funny to see exactly what proper Olympic speed looks like on an NFL field... those poor browns backs ups couldnt stay within 5 yards of him
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: August 22, 2022, 9:32 am Preseason Week 2 just about wrapped up. This one has been notable for the lack of top players taking part. Most teams are keeping their QB1 on ice for the regular season. Next week will see all the players battling for final roster spots and most locked in starters will not suit up.

:roflmao :clap:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Tyron Smith tore his hamstring today for the cowboys. Will miss most, if not all of the season. Huge blow

From what i've seen the Eagles - Dolphins scrimmage reports were basically AJ Brown and Tyreek Hill absolutely cooking opposition DB's :lol:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: August 25, 2022, 3:06 pm Tyron Smith tore his hamstring today for the cowboys. Will miss most, if not all of the season. Huge blow

From what i've seen the Eagles - Dolphins scrimmage reports were basically AJ Brown and Tyreek Hill absolutely cooking opposition DB's :lol:
I heard months, I didn't hear season.
Looks like the rookie will have to step up to his name sake though
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: August 25, 2022, 6:57 pm
Botman wrote: August 25, 2022, 3:06 pm Tyron Smith tore his hamstring today for the cowboys. Will miss most, if not all of the season. Huge blow

I said "most, if not all season."

That's typically 3-4 month injury... best case scenario is probably week 10/12. But any set back probably puts him out for the year and pending on where the cowboys are in their season, it may not be worth bringing him back. Its a huge loss
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: August 25, 2022, 7:06 pm
Matt wrote: August 25, 2022, 6:57 pm

I said "most, if not all season."

That's typically 3-4 month injury... best case scenario is probably week 10/12. But any set back probably puts him out for the year and pending on where the cowboys are in their season, it may not be worth bringing him back. Its a huge loss
Yup. Horrible way to start
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I guess "horrible way to start" is a matter of perspective :D

But no it sucks. I dont care at all for dem Boys but i've always appreciated Tyron Smith as a player. When health, he and Trent Williams are as close as i've seen to Jason Peters in terms of combining the dancing bear feet with technical and speed and physicality at the point of attack
Fun player to watch... it's sucks he's struggled so much with injury
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: August 25, 2022, 8:54 pm I guess "horrible way to start" is a matter of perspective :D

But no it sucks. I dont care at all for dem Boys but i've always appreciated Tyron Smith as a player. When health, he and Trent Williams are as close as i've seen to Jason Peters in terms of combining the dancing bear feet with technical and speed and physicality at the point of attack
Fun player to watch... it's sucks he's struggled so much with injury
Saying knee fracture now too (avulsion fracture, so hammy rips it off the bone, PS. Walked off the field under his own power too. Tough SOB) . So, not before December.

He's always been the #1 LT in my eyes (yes biased). Peters is my #2 FWIW. Hes been the immovable rock in the cowboys OL for so long.

He won't ever be ahead of DWare or Wittz for me, but love this guy. Never says a word, but just let's his work speak for itself.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Chase Young on PUP.
Pheagles Wk 3 and Boys wk 4 get a boost
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

The #Bills have released Punter Matt Araiza.

I guess he must be guilty.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: August 28, 2022, 1:31 pm The #Bills have released Punter Matt Araiza.

I guess he must be guilty.
I dont think the Bills want any part of what is going on there.
Punter lives matter, but not enough to want to deal with this ****... ill wager the punt god is never seen on an NFL roster again.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Just finished watching Phins and Pheagles. Was a little unexpected seeing Phins play their starters in 1st qtr. Comes from having their last practice cancelled due to the stomach bug in camp. No shock they dominated to be up 17-0 against Philly backups.

From 2nd qtr on it was more backup vs backups. It remained very one sided and final score 48-10. Take out the 1st qtr mismatch and it was still 31-10. Dolphins could do no wrong and there will be guys who had big performances who will get cut this week. For Philly it was a very ugly day all round. Will be some very easy cuts on that effort.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I was shocked to see the dolphins play their starters, but it seems like everyone came through OK so all's well that ends well i guess. They rolled through nice against the ham and eggers.

Feeling really good about where the Eagles are at. Good depth across the roster. It's all in front of Hurts... can he step up, make the next leap or are the eagles are good team missing the key peice? Eager to find out. We're going into the opener without any significant injury. Pumped for the season.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Week 3 of preseason used to be when starters played deep into the game. Week 4 they would all sit. Now we're down to 3 preseason games it looks like teams are taking different approaches. Dolphins missing some practice tipped their hand. Buccs played Brady now he's returned to practice after finishing up on The Masked Singer.