Ben Hunt $1.1 million
Daley Cherry Evans is on $1.2 million

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 2e4eb8fe25
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Re: 2022 Rich list

Post by Finchy »

I honestly thought Hodgo was on $900k in the last year of his contract (this year).
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Finchy wrote:I honestly thought Hodgo was on $900k in the last year of his contract (this year).
Hard to know what to believe. Where are they getting these figures from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

Finchy wrote:I honestly thought Hodgo was on $900k in the last year of his contract (this year).
Yes has previously been reported as being 900k. These Daily Telegraph figures are all guesstimates
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Roy Rover wrote:
Yes has previously been reported as being 900k. These Daily Telegraph figures are all guesstimates
Yes they will not be accurate, but it’s pretty clear the Tele has excellent connections to player managers, club and NRL insiders.

This is an article they throw a bit of effort at, so I think many of the salaries will spot on.

Tele writers were ahead of the Stuart getting a week suspension and fine, so I think they have some good moles in the inner NRL sanctum. Which may say more about the nrl than the telegraph.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Caryannis said a massive amount of effort was put into this across all sorts of cross reference.
Hodgo was on 900k but then the cap was reduced so he's on a bit less

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

bonehead wrote: August 15, 2022, 9:26 am Caryannis said a massive amount of effort was put into this across all sorts of cross reference.
Hodgo was on 900k but then the cap was reduced so he's on a bit less

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
I thought the players got compensated their losses after the NRL pulled some huge multi million profits
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

There needs to be an investigation into the Whitehead deal, he wasn't worth that coin 7 yrs ago, let alone the last contract negotiation
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

I think that some of these numbers sound a lot worse that what they actually are.

Given the cap is over 9million if you averaged that out across the squad each player would get over $300k.

In a 30 man squad you would probably have at least 5 players on the minimum wage of $120k per year and possibly a few more. At 5 it brings the average split across 25 at just under $350k per year.

Young players coming through would always be below that number.

Your stars, especially in the spine, are going to demand top dollar and I would expect that your consistent starters would generally be above the average.

So if for Cotric the dogs are carrying $400k of a $1.8mil contract over 3 years then it’s probably a decent deal for an experienced NRL winger.

And $580k for an experienced player who is a current international and part of the leadership group isn’t ludicrous.

Clubs can be lucky or unlucky with decisions about extending players in terms of injury or form and it’s always easy to see in hindsight.

I also think having to spend the cap each year puts clubs in a position where they often have to pay overs for players to tick that box when they would prefer not to. It would be better if you could pay less than the cap but then either had to return the money or demonstrate how it had been invested in junior leagues.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

pickles wrote: August 15, 2022, 2:16 pm
And $580k for an experienced player who is a current international and part of the leadership group isn’t ludicrous.

Clubs can be lucky or unlucky with decisions about extending players in terms of injury or form and it’s always easy to see in hindsight.

I also think having to spend the cap each year puts clubs in a position where they often have to pay overs for players to tick that box when they would prefer not to. It would be better if you could pay less than the cap but then either had to return the money or demonstrate how it had been invested in junior leagues.
Nah this doesn’t fly with the Whitehead deal.

For one thing, this is not hindsight hero stuff. 95% of people were bemused with this deal at the time of signing because he was already in decline. And it has only gotten worse. And there are 2+ seasons left of it.

Secondly, when it comes to his value and contribution, the fact he is an international and part of the leadership group is quite meaningless to be honest. He is probably the worst second rower in the comp. If he is still an international that is probably more a blight on Englands depth than anything.

Thirdly, you aren’t forced to spend your full cap allocation. And you certainly aren’t forced to mess up your future cap situation on terrible long term deals.

EDIT - just double checked and you are obliged to spend 95% of your cap. So I take your point on that one. But Aside from the fact that is a stupid rule, smart cap management still shouldn’t see you tie up that much cash in declining veterans for that length of contract.
Up The Milk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Mickey_Raider wrote: August 15, 2022, 10:20 pm Thirdly, you aren’t forced to spend your full cap allocation. And you certainly aren’t forced to mess up your future cap situation on terrible long term deals.
Nothing specifically related to the Whitehead contract but the full allocation? No. But you are forced to spend 95% of it, and the 5% unspent doesnt roll over. So it's very much a use it or lose it situation. And yes, that doesnt mean you should sign terrible long term deals, but it unquestionably forces clubs to spend in ways they wouldnt if they werent forced to.

I think there are reasonably simple and smart ways to navigate this rule but for clubs struggling having a hard cap at 95% means BY RULE you'll be over paying players.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Mickey_Raider wrote:
pickles wrote: August 15, 2022, 2:16 pm

Nah this doesn’t fly with the Whitehead deal.

For one thing, this is not hindsight hero stuff. 95% of people were bemused with this deal at the time of signing because he was already in decline. And it has only gotten worse. And there are 2+ seasons left of it.

Secondly, when it comes to his value and contribution, the fact he is an international and part of the leadership group is quite meaningless to be honest. He is probably the worst second rower in the comp. If he is still an international that is probably more a blight on Englands depth than anything.

Thirdly, you aren’t forced to spend your full cap allocation. And you certainly aren’t forced to mess up your future cap situation on terrible long term deals.

EDIT - just double checked and you are obliged to spend 95% of your cap. So I take your point on that one. But Aside from the fact that is a stupid rule, smart cap management still shouldn’t see you tie up that much cash in declining veterans for that length of contract.
The on intangible here that may be a bigger contributor than we see is what Whitehead brings to the team off the field. I remember years ago Matthew Elliot saying about Alan Tongue that he was too small and too slow and if he didn’t pick him in the team he would be lynched by the rest of the players.

As fans we see 80 minutes of a week which is as best 1/30th of their full time job and none of us would know what happens off the field and who are the most important people in driving the culture.

There must be a reason he is the captain even if we aren’t seeing it in his infield performance at the moment.

I also remember when the raiders let Ricky Stuart and Brad Clyde go at the end of their careers and the long term damage that did to the club. I’m not putting Whitehead in the same calibre as them as players but the players aren’t robots and normally where teams go to **** it’s because the plying group is collectively unhappy.

Not disagreeing about infield performance, just suggesting there’s more to it than that in terms of a players value.