Elliott Whitehead

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Re: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Finchy »

gangrenous wrote: August 10, 2022, 8:19 pm Sure it can. It’s called - “contract year”
Ah yes, the old Bronson Harrison manoeuvre. Usually the lack of effort in defence is the last stop before reserve grade or retirement, but occasionally a player pulls their finger out long enough to get a juicy contract before normal programming resumes
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Bronson Harrison's career at the Raiders is easily the most misrepresented in modern Raiders history
He did sign a new deal and on signing that, he did regress severely.

But no one was complaining about that contract when it was signed. He was awesome in the years prior to signing that deal. Awesome.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote:Bronson Harrison's career at the Raiders is easily the most misrepresented in modern Raiders history

But no one was complaining about that contract when it was signed. He was awesome in the years prior to signing that deal. Awesome.
I think you’re misinterpreting most people’s scorn for his contract here, pal.

He WAS awesome before his contract extension… that’s kindof everyone’s whole point!
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

Botman wrote: August 10, 2022, 9:45 pm Bronson Harrison's career at the Raiders is easily the most misrepresented in modern Raiders history

Fair call. Insert different player’s name then. Can’t think of one myself that fits the bill right now
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Na, i think the post contract debackle has over shadowed quite a bit what a good player he was for us prior to that extension
It's never mentioned that he was a genuine gun before that extension, he's sorted given the spud player treatment because of how badly he played post extension.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote:Na, i think the post contract debackle has over shadowed quite a bit what a good player he was for us prior to that extension
It's never mentioned that he was a genuine gun before that extension, he's sorted given the spud player treatment because of how badly he played post extension.
No, most people’s criticism is how he played awesome, got a great contract extension, and then phoned it in for the rest of his career… THAT’S the whole point when people say “doing a Bronson Harrison”!

So I don’t think his career is misremembered at all, actually. I think it’s remembered very accurately and is a very well used trope when you talk about “contract seasons”.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

In fact, NOBODY refers to Bronson Harrison as being a spud the whole time he was at the Raiders… you’re literally the first person I’ve seen try to promote that view.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote: August 10, 2022, 9:57 pm In fact, NOBODY refers to Bronson Harrison as being a spud the whole time he was at the Raiders… you’re literally the first person I’ve seen try to promote that view.
Find me the Bronson Harrison posts even acknowledging his play prior to his extension? :lol:
I never said people refer to him as a spud the WHOLE time, i just said his post extension play overshadows his other seasons.

Also he played here 4 years and 3 of them were pretty great, 2 of them were actually outstanding. It wasnt a classic one year jump because he was in a contract year. He had put in the work. He had delivered and earnt that deal. And then... well it was what it was.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

You’ve chosen a very weird hill to die on here.

All of the criticism I’ve ever seen of Bronson revolves around the fact he played awesome football, got a fat contract extension, and then phoned it in from there on.

Literally all of it.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Harrison had a similar rep to Adam Elliott before he arrived - quite inconsistent, good in attack on his day and pretty average in defence. In 2009-10 he rose to easily one of the best 4 or 5 second rowers in the NRL. However when he signed the contract extension his form dropped off a cliff. There were rumours of relationship issues, and he also had some pretty serious back problems that caused him grief. He left the club at an age when he should have been at his peak, but by the time he retired with St George a few season later he was a shadow of his 09-10 self.

Whitehead was clearly already regressing due to age when the club signed him to that ridiculous 3 year extension. One of the weirdest contracts this club has agreed to.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

I don’t think many players have a rep to match Adam Elliot…..maybe Wayne Carey
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Back to EW…

We get it Ricky. You like to give veterans as much time as possible to prove they aren’t washed up before you punt them.

We get that its genesis is in the way that you and Clyde were punted by the Raiders in 199-something.

Some may call it admirable.

But we have had almost 2 years of data which shows that Whitehead is completely washed up.

Please pull the pin. It actually hurts the players reputation the longer they hang around when they are past it. See Darius Boyd.

It also impedes the pipeline of young players such as Rushton from having a path to FG.

Pull the pin Ricky. It is time.
Up The Milk
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

Another plodding nothing performance from Whitehead. Its a borderline joke he is still playing first grade, let alone captain and getting 80 minutes. No wonder Elliot and Rushton left the club, probably saw the writing on the wall and realised and they will always play second fiddle to Ricky’s best mate Whitey. Cant we just take selection away from Ricky and give it an independent panel so that Ricky’s propensity for nepotism doesn’t get in way of our ambition for premiership success?
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Kept asking myself all game; Why is whitehead still on…:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

I'm being completely serious, when I saw this bumped I remembered him being on report last week and assumed he'd been suspended. Games like today illustrate why you can't carry someone in your 17 - you end up making molehills into mountains. That flows on week to week with the team's energy level.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

rayden83 wrote: August 21, 2022, 10:02 pm Another plodding nothing performance from Whitehead. Its a borderline joke he is still playing first grade, let alone captain and getting 80 minutes. No wonder Elliot and Rushton left the club, probably saw the writing on the wall and realised and they will always play second fiddle to Ricky’s best mate Whitey. Cant we just take selection away from Ricky and give it an independent panel so that Ricky’s propensity for nepotism doesn’t get in way of our ambition for premiership success?
I would have said cronyism more than nepotism.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

According to nrl.com stats he did 6 runs for 58m. That's not actually bad yardage per carry. His post contact metres as a percentage of total metres was good too.

But it's abysmal involvement. We easily beat the knights in total yardage. His partner Hudson Young went over 170m from 16 runs. I don't expect backrowers to produce like middle forwards but we need something from him lol..

He's playing 80 minutes too
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I don't watch him as closely as others but I did notice he made some decent hits yesterday. He took Klemmer down, one-on-one at 1 stage when we were looking a little vulnerable.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

gergreg wrote: August 22, 2022, 9:15 am I don't watch him as closely as others but I did notice he made some decent hits yesterday. He took Klemmer down, one-on-one at 1 stage when we were looking a little vulnerable.

He is a capable player. Just hasn't got the lungs. Was gassed throughout the game.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

EW was never a meter eater. His strengths were his deft hands and ability to put players around him into gaps. He is capable of good hits, and he hardly ever made any mistakes. He was the most underrated player in the NRL at one point.

I don't think he has been as awful as some people make out. He is certainly not the player he was. He's just running on fumes these days which of course makes him a bit slower and less effective. It is a real shame.

It will be interesting to see if he can bounce back. I remember Rapanas form went south around the time he signed for Japanese Rugby. He was looking slow and as if he was injured. But Jordy has returned to good form and running freely again. For a 33 year old winger he is playing some damn good footy. I just hope EW can recapture his mojo.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

dubby wrote:EW was never a meter eater. His strengths were his deft hands and ability to put players around him into gaps. He is capable of good hits, and he hardly ever made any mistakes. He was the most underrated player in the NRL at one point.

I don't think he has been as awful as some people make out. He is certainly not the player he was. He's just running on fumes these days which of course makes him a bit slower and less effective. It is a real shame.

It will be interesting to see if he can bounce back. I remember Rapanas form went south around the time he signed for Japanese Rugby. He was looking slow and as if he was injured. But Jordy has returned to good form and running freely again. For a 33 year old winger he is playing some damn good footy. I just hope EW can recapture his mojo.
It's doubtful. I remember commenting about how tired and ineffective he looked in our 2020 finals campaign. I think post that season I was pushing for a better forward rotation with him being the basis of that suggestion.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

dubby wrote: August 22, 2022, 10:27 am EW was never a meter eater. His strengths were his deft hands and ability to put players around him into gaps. He is capable of good hits, and he hardly ever made any mistakes. He was the most underrated player in the NRL at one point.

Yep but that's just it, now that he's lost that speed and attacking threat, he's really offering no value to the team. He's not offering metres/involvement, nor a point of attack
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah, no one cared that he was a bit of a shakey defender and didnt do a ton of grunt work because when the ball spun out his way, on any given possession he was capable of creating a line break for himself or for his teammates... He and Croker had a very formidable attacking game for a long time there

He's still got a little bit of the slight of hand, but he's not respected as an edge threat anymore and so if he's not able to provide that impact, he needs to do more grunt work and he's got to be a better defender
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Whitehead didn't have a bad game yesterday - he didn't miss any tackles that I saw or drop balls and the bad defence in the first half was over on the other side. It was probably a 5.5 out of 10. But he restricts the attack on the right hand side in not being able to run the good lines. And he was on his haunches a lot in the 2nd half. Giving him about 45 mins is fine to start the game with CHN to come on.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Id agree with that too, thought it was one his better games this year. Which sadly says it all
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

I'm horrified that "Rocky's view from the couch" resulted in Whitehead now playing 80 mins instead of 50 mins, and Starling playing 71 mins, only coming off for injury. That was his takeaway from the week off. That EW and TS need more minutes, not less? What a clown.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Finchy wrote: August 22, 2022, 11:34 am I'm horrified that "Rocky's view from the couch" resulted in Whitehead now playing 80 mins instead of 50 mins, and Starling playing 71 mins, only coming off for injury. That was his takeaway from the week off. That EW and TS need more minutes, not less? What a clown.
There's no other possible explanation other than Rocky is trying to get fired and the players keep letting him down.
mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Post by mick63 »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: August 22, 2022, 11:27 am Whitehead didn't have a bad game yesterday - he didn't miss any tackles that I saw or drop balls and the bad defence in the first half was over on the other side. It was probably a 5.5 out of 10. But he restricts the attack on the right hand side in not being able to run the good lines. And he was on his haunches a lot in the 2nd half. Giving him about 45 mins is fine to start the game with CHN to come on.
The ball just dies with him.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Pete Cash wrote:According to nrl.com stats he did 6 runs for 58m. That's not actually bad yardage per carry. His post contact metres as a percentage of total metres was good too.

But it's abysmal involvement. We easily beat the knights in total yardage. His partner Hudson Young went over 170m from 16 runs. I don't expect backrowers to produce like middle forwards but we need something from him lol..

The last three games prior to this weekend he played between 53 and 59 minutes.

He was completely gassed at the end of the Knights game. I'd be very disappointed if he continues to play 80 again.

Also not sure why he didn't do the press conference at the end of the game. That was a bit unusual.

Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Will he get picked for England in the World Cup because technically he's still an NRL player? I don't follow the ESL or England team closely enough to know but it will be a real issue for the home team if they pick on reputation as they seem to have a competitive team to have a good crack at that tournament.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Seiffert82 wrote: August 22, 2022, 2:05 pm
Pete Cash wrote:According to nrl.com stats he did 6 runs for 58m. That's not actually bad yardage per carry. His post contact metres as a percentage of total metres was good too.

The last three games prior to this weekend he played between 53 and 59 minutes.

He was completely gassed at the end of the Knights game. I'd be very disappointed if he continues to play 80 again.

Also not sure why he didn't do the press conference at the end of the game. That was a bit unusual.

Can’t do a press conference if you’re out of breath mate
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Woodgers wrote: August 22, 2022, 3:10 pm Will he get picked for England in the World Cup because technically he's still an NRL player? I don't follow the ESL or England team closely enough to know but it will be a real issue for the home team if they pick on reputation as they seem to have a competitive team to have a good crack at that tournament.
Might end up in the squad somewhere but not play on game day.
Strong chance of missing out entirely.
Daniel
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

Post by Daniel »

zim wrote: August 22, 2022, 4:03 pm
Woodgers wrote: August 22, 2022, 3:10 pm Will he get picked for England in the World Cup because technically he's still an NRL player? I don't follow the ESL or England team closely enough to know but it will be a real issue for the home team if they pick on reputation as they seem to have a competitive team to have a good crack at that tournament.
Might end up in the squad somewhere but not play on game day.
Strong chance of missing out entirely.
Agreed. Shaun Wane will probably select John Bateman and Liam Farrell as his starting edge forwards, with Victor Radley playing at lock. Other edge forward options include Kai Pearce-Paul (Wigan), Mike McMeeken (Catalans), and Chris McQueen (Huddersfield) - I might be forgetting a few others. If Whitehead is selected ahead of those players, it will be due to experience and reputation rather than form.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I hope for their sake 35 year old McQueen is also not an option.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

zim wrote: August 22, 2022, 4:41 pm I hope for their sake 35 year old McQueen is also not an option.
Ah yes, Chris McQueen, the one Wests Tigers paid $800,000 per season for 3 years to play 10 FG games in total, and spent the majority of his time in NSW Cup.