Joe Tapine re-signs with Canberra Raiders to end 2027

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Re: Canberra Raiders prop Tapine coy on new NRL contract

Post by -GD- »

It'd be nice if the NRL could finalise the salary cap for next season. Not like this season is nearly over or anything.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Coastalraider wrote: August 11, 2022, 1:34 pm This has to get done.

But.. I reserve the right in 2027 at the final year of the contract to bitch about paying a 33 year old prop $800k.
I reserve the right in 2027 when Father Time has caught up with him and we’ve well and truly squeezed the lemon dry, to bitch about offering him another 4 year contract on even bigger money, ala Croker and Whitehead, taking him to 2031
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

-GD- wrote: August 11, 2022, 1:41 pm It'd be nice if the NRL could finalise the salary cap for next season. Not like this season is nearly over or anything.
It's hard to believe they can't set in in a cycle for 2-3 years to allow some planning.

This current update at the last minute for next year encourages a) clubs to take a guess and spend overs, hoping the cap will catch up; b) the perception that some clubs/managers will find out early and have an advantage.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Get the deal done and hand him the (C).

I will give Ricky and Don some credit if they manage to get Tapine on the dotted line on the figures being talked about (800kish per year probably).

Mostly because whilst there might not be clubs who match what we offer, I am sure he could get something pretty comparable at a club who could compete for a premiership within the next 4 years.

Him signing would probably show that there is more belief within the club than amongst the fans about the direction the club is heading.
Up The Milk
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Obviously the boys just love playing for Ricky
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

But.. I reserve the right in 2027 at the final year of the contract to bitch about paying a 33 year old prop $800k.
Particularly once he's Bronson Harrisoning all over the place!
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

The Nickman wrote: August 11, 2022, 2:44 pm

Now there’s a guy who was overrated.., played about 2 good games before contract time.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Coastalraider wrote: August 11, 2022, 3:02 pm

Now there’s a guy who was overrated.., played about 2 good games before contract time.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Who cares if he’s 33 in 2027.

We need him now..today.

Losing him would be just horrible.

If Mrs Taps can live on $800k pa she’ll give Joe the go ahead to sign.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Why /when did we decide 4 year contracts are so great? Every single one has blown up in the clubs face.

800k in a cap about to increase 10% is probably about right. 3 years would be about as far as you'd want to go, unless that 4th year is the clubs option. Or only at 400-500k managers option.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Remember as well that the 4 years rumoured is the extension on next years existing contact, so 5 more seasons. For reference, papa is currently 30. Taps will be 33 at the end of this extension.

We need it done for what it will bring in the next 2-3 years, but it will hurt in years 4-5, like toots and whitehead are now.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

BadnMean wrote: August 11, 2022, 3:23 pm Why /when did we decide 4 year contracts are so great? Every single one has blown up in the clubs face.

800k in a cap about to increase 10% is probably about right. 3 years would be about as far as you'd want to go, unless that 4th year is the clubs option. Or only at 400-500k managers option.
They aren’t so great.

Sure, in an ideal world you would have players on rolling 1 + 1 year contracts with the option infinitely in the clubs favour.

But 4 years is probably what is required to get him over the line.

And, unlike the Whitehead and Croker contracts which were completely absurd, this one feels much more necessary.
Up The Milk
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

Hey, don’t go comparing Tapine to that spud! Tapine at least played well before earning a new big fat contract!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Ahahaha this is a fantastic new bit
Ron78
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by Ron78 »

Finchy wrote:

Hey, don’t go comparing Tapine to that spud! Tapine at least played well before earning a new big fat contract!
So did Bronson…..he was a gun before THAT contract….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Oooof, Ron stumbling in with the massive dubois there... you hate to see it
Ron78
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by Ron78 »

The Nickman wrote:Oooof, Ron stumbling in with the massive dubois there... you hate to see it
Indeed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

BadnMean wrote: August 11, 2022, 1:58 pm
-GD- wrote: August 11, 2022, 1:41 pm It'd be nice if the NRL could finalise the salary cap for next season. Not like this season is nearly over or anything.
It's hard to believe they can't set in in a cycle for 2-3 years to allow some planning.

This current update at the last minute for next year encourages a) clubs to take a guess and spend overs, hoping the cap will catch up; b) the perception that some clubs/managers will find out early and have an advantage.
I suspect it is held up by the way the deal was structured with the players union (a % of turnover, or something similar). You'd have to finalise the turnover side before you can finalise the cap.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

BadnMean wrote: August 11, 2022, 3:23 pm Why /when did we decide 4 year contracts are so great? Every single one has blown up in the clubs face.

the biggest problem with long term contracts is the risk only runs one way. If the cap goes up and/or a player feels undervalued, they will agitate for a raise or release. But if their form falls off a cliff, the club is stuck with that for the duration.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Bit long and a bit pricey sorry. I’m expecting him to be a gun next year, Papa level decline (still good but not exceptional) the year after, and 1.5 years of Whitehead/Croker level pain. Hope I’m wrong and we get 4 years of bliss but I was right about Croker, Whitehead, Y2K and most other things in life!
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Billy Walker wrote:Bit long and a bit pricey sorry. I’m expecting him to be a gun next year, Papa level decline (still good but not exceptional) the year after, and 1.5 years of Whitehead/Croker level pain. Hope I’m wrong and we get 4 years of bliss but I was right about Croker, Whitehead, Y2K and most other things in life!
To be fair, you were only right about Y2K in 2017.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Hahaha Billy was about 5 when Y2K happened... I seriously doubt he was predicting much outside of what mum was going to make him for breakfast.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Billy Walker wrote: August 11, 2022, 10:48 pm Bit long and a bit pricey sorry. I’m expecting him to be a gun next year, Papa level decline (still good but not exceptional) the year after, and 1.5 years of Whitehead/Croker level pain. Hope I’m wrong and we get 4 years of bliss but I was right about Croker, Whitehead, Y2K and most other things in life!
I get the concern but I think there are a few important distinctions.

The first is that he is smack bang in his prime and there is no reason why he still won’t be in his prime when the 4 years expires and he is only 32.

The second is that it is noted that props historically age better than centres or second rowers.

The third is that the Whitehead/Croker contracts were signed when both were already in decline. Tapine is ascendant at the moment (long May it continue).

The fourth is that Tapine would actually be in demand, which is a good indicator of his value. If a tender had been put out for Whitehead/Croker in 2021 it would have been crickets.

The fifth is that there are certain signings which are more symbolic than the signing itself. They can be an endorsement of the direction the club is heading, or a repudiation and a sign that there is no faith internally.
When your best player is casting judgment, it definitely matters.
Up The Milk
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

It's a bit long but you do have to go overs sometimes, like Broncos with Reynolds, Sharks with Finucane

Papa has declined a bit but he always showed weight increases year after year, it's just his body type, so naturally has lost some mobility. I don't see that in Tapine, more athletic build

He could also be an anchor signing for young kiwis, especially if captain

I get the reservations due to the Croker and Whitehead debacles, but I do think this is different
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Haha. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

IMO the club should sign him to a 2 year, $500k per year deal, with 2 more years in the club's favour. That way, we pay him unders, with almost no risk for the club. How hard can it be!?

Get it done Donny!

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

BJ wrote: August 12, 2022, 10:05 am
Billy Walker wrote:Bit long and a bit pricey sorry. I’m expecting him to be a gun next year, Papa level decline (still good but not exceptional) the year after, and 1.5 years of Whitehead/Croker level pain. Hope I’m wrong and we get 4 years of bliss but I was right about Croker, Whitehead, Y2K and most other things in life!
To be fair, you were only right about Y2K in 2017.
Nah - I accurately predicted the mayhem, disaster and disruption that it caused!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Mickey_Raider wrote: August 12, 2022, 11:28 am
Billy Walker wrote: August 11, 2022, 10:48 pm Bit long and a bit pricey sorry. I’m expecting him to be a gun next year, Papa level decline (still good but not exceptional) the year after, and 1.5 years of Whitehead/Croker level pain. Hope I’m wrong and we get 4 years of bliss but I was right about Croker, Whitehead, Y2K and most other things in life!
I get the concern but I think there are a few important distinctions.

The first is that he is smack bang in his prime and there is no reason why he still won’t be in his prime when the 4 years expires and he is only 32.

The second is that it is noted that props historically age better than centres or second rowers.

The third is that the Whitehead/Croker contracts were signed when both were already in decline. Tapine is ascendant at the moment (long May it continue).

The fourth is that Tapine would actually be in demand, which is a good indicator of his value. If a tender had been put out for Whitehead/Croker in 2021 it would have been crickets.

The fifth is that there are certain signings which are more symbolic than the signing itself. They can be an endorsement of the direction the club is heading, or a repudiation and a sign that there is no faith internally.
When your best player is casting judgment, it definitely matters.
All good arguments Mickey! If we were reallly smart about this we’d sign him for 4, keep a close eye on how he’s tracking and see if we can’t offload him after 2 or 3 while his stakes are still high before Father time comes knocking.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

The Nickman wrote: August 12, 2022, 10:38 am Hahaha Billy was about 5 when Y2K happened... I seriously doubt he was predicting much outside of what mum was going to make him for breakfast.
Mum had passed away before 2000 mate and stopped making me breakfast long before then.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki

Re: Canberra Raiders set to offer four year deal to Joe Tapine

Post by Pete Cash »

I don't think it's near the Croker or whitehead situation. For a start Tapine is a physical monster. He's tall and strong. He's hard to tackle. His game is dependent on power which holds up a lot better for pro athletes than speed and guile.

Idk 800k for him is about right imo. 4 years is maybe 1 year too long. It's not near signing guys who were never the most physical guys when they were declining though.

If he phones it in next year I'll happily take the loss but it feels about right. It's self evident that an athlete like Tapine will hold up better than Croker though. Injuries withstanding.

Edit

Also that contract extension whitehead got was when he was already 31 lol. Very different
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

We have overpaid him every year he has been here. This just continues that trend. I'd like to think we could pay less that 800k for a front rower. I'd rather take spencer lenui on 4-500k and save a bit here. Tapine is good but he has only had 1 season (this year) where he has performed to his price tag. He should stay for less that 800k over 4 years. It's bad business if that's what is being offered.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

Bluesbrother wrote: August 12, 2022, 3:59 pm We have overpaid him every year he has been here. This just continues that trend. I'd like to think we could pay less that 800k for a front rower. I'd rather take spencer lenui on 4-500k and save a bit here. Tapine is good but he has only had 1 season (this year) where he has performed to his price tag. He should stay for less that 800k over 4 years. It's bad business if that's what is being offered.
I hear what you’re saying, but disagree with all of it.
daley6
David Grant
Favourite Player: campo

Post by daley6 »

Bluesbrother wrote: August 12, 2022, 3:59 pm We have overpaid him every year he has been here. This just continues that trend. I'd like to think we could pay less that 800k for a front rower. I'd rather take spencer lenui on 4-500k and save a bit here. Tapine is good but he has only had 1 season (this year) where he has performed to his price tag. He should stay for less that 800k over 4 years. It's bad business if that's what is being offered.
Can we still get spencer lenui?? Think he would be great , no sutton and now no rushton , hopefully we can get him
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Canberra Times reporting that Tapine's manager Jim Banaghan coming to Canberra on Sunday to open negotiations, reports suggesting that a multi million four year deal is imminent are a bit premature: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

What’s interesting is whether it’s 4 years on top of this year or another 4 years.

Another 4 years is ridiculous.

Tbh I don’t see us doing much with whitehead / croker on the books and lacking the quality that we would otherwise have…
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders make moves to lock in Joe Tapine long term

The Raiders met with Joe Tapine's management on the weekend and held "positive" talks to extend his contract beyond next year. Canberra chief executive Don Furner confirmed Tapine's manager came to town to open talks.

"He did [come down] and we just started first chats. We caught up with him and had positive meetings," Furner said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280