Ricky Stuart banned for seven days and fined $25,000 for press conference comments

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Daniel
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

Re: Ricky Stuart banned for seven days and fined $25,000 for press conference comments

Post by Daniel »

There are some cases in which it seems the fans have had their voices heard. A few examples:

1. This time last year, fans wanted Mick Crawley to return as an attacking coach. Done.

2. During the off-season, fans wanted Elliott Whitehead to switch to lock. Done and failed.

3. This season, fans wanted CNK to leave and be replaced by Xavier Savage. Done.

While many fans want Stuart sacked, many others don't. The latter group is accused of "tolerating mediocrity", mostly by people who seem to think that constant criticism is the best way to drive higher standards. Try that at work.

If I was a player, I would play out of my skin for fans like GE, Brew, cat, raiderskater, and a few others. Some of the other fans, however, would make me want to quit professional sport, throw a match just to upset them, or perhaps jump the fence Eric Cantona style.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Re: Ricky Stuart banned for seven days and fined $25,000 for press conference comments

Post by Azza »

I wonder how brews corporate.box is going

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Daniel wrote: August 10, 2022, 4:46 pm There are some cases in which it seems the fans have had their voices heard. A few examples:

1. This time last year, fans wanted Mick Crawley to return as an attacking coach. Done.

2. During the off-season, fans wanted Elliott Whitehead to switch to lock. Done and failed.

3. This season, fans wanted CNK to leave and be replaced by Xavier Savage. Done.

While many fans want Stuart sacked, many others don't. The latter group is accused of "tolerating mediocrity", mostly by people who seem to think that constant criticism is the best way to drive higher standards. Try that at work.

If I was a player, I would play out of my skin for fans like GE, Brew, cat, raiderskater, and a few others. Some of the other fans, however, would make me want to quit professional sport, throw a match just to upset them, or perhaps jump the fence Eric Cantona style.
Are you for real? You actually think the club folded to the fans to play Whitehead at lock and Savage? How have you reached that conclusion? If these things were changed by fan influence how come Whitehead hasn't been dropped altogether which everyone has been calling for all year? Talk about a long bow.

What some fans are calling for are not higher standards, just some standards in place with some KPIs to get some accountability happening for people who seemingly cannot lose their job no matter what they do. That's not too much to ask of any professional organisation.

Ps. Anyone who throws a game to spite fans is a weak gutted dog :)
Last edited by Woodgers on August 10, 2022, 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Daniel wrote: August 10, 2022, 4:46 pm There are some cases in which it seems the fans have had their voices heard. A few examples:

Fair.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

If you throw a million darts a day you'll probably hit a dartboard at some point.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I doubt the fans played a role in any of those three things :lol:
Daniel
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

Post by Daniel »

Woodgers wrote: August 10, 2022, 5:13 pm

Are you for real? You actually think the club folded to the fans to play Whitehead at lock and Savage? How have you reached that conclusion? If these things were changed by fan influence how come Whitehead hasn't been dropped altogether which everyone has been calling for all year? Talk about a long bow.

What some fans are calling for are not higher standards, just some standards in place with some KPIs to get some accountability happening for people who seemingly cannot lose their job no matter what they do. That's not too much to ask of any professional organisation.

Ps. Anyone who throws a game to spite fans is a weak gutted dog :)
I have a lot of respect for your views, Woodgers, and I'm sure you would know more about the inner workings of the club than I do. Perhaps I should have rephrased the first part of my post to say that the fans "got what they wanted", rather than "had their voices heard". Sometimes we get what we want, only to discover that what we wanted is not actually that good.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Seiffert82 wrote:
zim wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: August 10, 2022, 1:09 pm I know of quite a few hardcore Raiders fans who are well aware of this forum but refuse to post because of the way certain people behave.

I'm also aware of a number of really good contributors who have basically been driven away because of the way they have been treated by a few people in particular.

It's the curse of every forum. This place would be a complete zoo if it wasn't moderated.

I've certainly had my run-ins at times. Thankfully you can block people if it starts getting too personal and boring, but from the outside looking in I'm very well aware that all of that crap is a complete turnoff.
The ignore function is great. I used to read everything but once you've read the same locked in opinion 30 times and seen it turn up in unrelated posts it's much better just turning it off. Just turning 2 off made a big difference.
This is true. The hijacking of every thread imaginable to say the same thing over and over again is a real killer.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
Oh here we go... will you leave poor Xavier alone!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I have to say, it is sad to see critical comments about this site, because we work so hard to be the best club fan site in the NRL... so I can understand that critical comments about the club will impact those at the club in a similar fashion.

And I have to keep telling myself, sometimes, I have to have a thicker skin. No matter what you do, you won't be able to please everyone. We moderate the site as best we can. We want the site to be a place where there is respectable behaviour, while permitting free speech. We want the site to have strong, original content on all its platforms, as well as be a place where anything in the news about the Raiders can be found here, with a link to the site producing it. We aim to be a great news aggregator, but we aim to be more than that.

In any case, we have over 90,000 followers on all our platforms. We're the biggest and longest running Raiders fan site on the net. There probably are not many club fan sites that have a bigger following. So I guess we must be doing something right.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I’d suggest you’re doing a lot right GE. If the club was run half as well as the GH is run there would be a lot less to complain about!
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

GE, thank you for your contributions over the years. We really appreciate your time and commitment in disseminating the Raiders' news, and summarising the news articles from various sources. I think it's a great site and I enjoy reading the views of all fans, no matter if I agree or disagree with our fans' views. I enjoy reading our fans' views over mainstream media. I like how the site and the moderators are not pushing a certain agenda, but leave it to the fans to express their views. Will definitely look you up and shout you a nice lunch when I'm next in Canberra as a token of my appreciation.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Nailing it GE. We all really appreciate the efforts everyone goes to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CRaid
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by CRaid »

Billy Walker wrote: August 10, 2022, 7:16 pm I’d suggest you’re doing a lot right GE. If the club was run half as well as the GH is run there would be a lot less to complain about!
Let me repeat
In my opinion there are some people on this forum that exude an inflated view of their worth and importance in life. Of course that is only my view, actually the view of most people who I know that have ever experienced this forum.

I’ll be 100% honest and say that I’ve never heard a good word from those outside of this forum. I was asked by one to become a member and find our for myself. You don’t believe that ? .. I dont really care.

90k members, well that’s a great achievement, the majority of which have less than 1 post, the majority of the remainder hating on the club at every opportunity. I suppose that’s what you refer to as “free speech”. Dear diary, check how many of those 90K members clock in on game day.

The game day threads are where those 50 or so active members criticise players, coach, etc to the point wishing the club actually loses, yes loses !!! Again, I suppose that’s what you refer to as “free speach”. Please, I don’t want to hear any apologies for those hating on the club, quite frankly that they can go get EDIT.

This forum gives those haters a platform to lay vitriol on players, coaches, administrators and anyone else associated with the club. I can understand being disappointed, heck I certainly am. Posting on game day goes way beyond the boundaries of “disappointment” or “concerned”.

Give yourself an uppercut if they are the standards this forum encourage and uphold, in the name of “free speach” of course.

I think this is my last post. I’ve experienced it, I’ve tasted it. I certainly do not want to post up a count of 10 a day.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The irony of some **** bellend having a dig at posters having an inflated opinion of themselves. Buy yourself a mirror pal.

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

CRaid wrote: August 10, 2022, 7:51 pm
Billy Walker wrote: August 10, 2022, 7:16 pm I’d suggest you’re doing a lot right GE. If the club was run half as well as the GH is run there would be a lot less to complain about!
Let me repeat
In my opinion there are some people on this forum that exude an inflated view of their worth and importance in life. Of course that is only my view, actually the view of most people who I know that have ever experienced this forum.

I’ll be 100% honest and say that I’ve never heard a good word from those outside of this forum. I was asked by one to become a member and find our for myself. You don’t believe that ? .. I dont really care.

90k members, well that’s a great achievement, the majority of which have less than 1 post, the majority of the remainder hating on the club at every opportunity. I suppose that’s what you refer to as “free speech”. Dear diary, check how many of those 90K members clock in on game day.

The game day threads are where those 50 or so active members criticise players, coach, etc to the point wishing the club actually loses, yes loses !!! Again, I suppose that’s what you refer to as “free speach”. Please, I don’t want to hear any apologies for those hating on the club, quite frankly that they can go get F***ed.

This forum gives those haters a platform to lay vitriol on players, coaches, administrators and anyone else associated with the club. I can understand being disappointed, heck I certainly am. Posting on game day goes way beyond the boundaries of “disappointment” or “concerned”.

Give yourself an uppercut if they are the standards this forum encourage and uphold, in the name of “free speach” of course.

I think this is my last post. I’ve experienced it, I’ve tasted it. I certainly do not want to post up a count of 10 a day.
I’ll be sad to see you go CRaid, you’ve always been polite, insightful and given me some genuine belly laughs.
CRaid
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by CRaid »

gergreg wrote: August 10, 2022, 7:57 pm The irony of some **** bellend having a dig at posters having an inflated opinion of themselves. Buy yourself a mirror pal.
It hurts doesn’t it mate.

Exhibit A your honour, the game hasn’t even started ..
Neeeegz wrote: August 10, 2022, 7:42 pm Our players sound dumb.
And they act dumb on the field.
And our coach says dumb things and does dumb things.
And the board... well, I don't actually know what the board does, but #$%and them too !!!
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

greeneyed wrote:About perceptions of the site... I'm personally aware that the club has perceived at least one mainstream media outlet negatively... and it is because the media outlet was being critical of the performance of the club. I have to say at the time, I thought the level of critical comment from that media outlet was fairly reasonable... nothing like some Sydney clubs receive in the Sydney media.

I have to say, it hurts me to see critical comments about this site, because we work so hard to be the best club fan site in the NRL... so I can understand that critical comments about the club will impact those at the club in a similar fashion.

And I have to keep telling myself, sometimes, I have to have a thicker skin. No matter what you do, you won't be able to please everyone. We moderate the site as best we can. We want the site to be a place where there is respectable behaviour, while permitting free speech. We want the site to have strong, original content on all its platforms, as well as be a place where anything in the news about the Raiders can be found here, with a link to the site producing it. We aim to be a great news aggregator, but we aim to be more than that.

In any case, we have over 90,000 followers on all our platforms. We're the biggest and longest running Raiders fan site on the net. There probably are not many club fan sites that have a bigger following. So I guess we must be doing something right.
You do a great job and your hard work does not go unnoticed.

Unfortunately some of your fellow administrators drag the site down and do more to drive people away and lower the quality of discussions.

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote:And I feel I am uniquely qualified to say this, but this site serves the exact purpose it was made for. The site was never intended for everyone, this format is not everyone's cup of tea and it was never intended to be, but it is servicing the fans it was intended to service and it does a damn good job of it.
Have I thanked you lately for the top job servicing me as a fan?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Raider Azz wrote:
greeneyed wrote:About perceptions of the site... I'm personally aware that the club has perceived at least one mainstream media outlet negatively... and it is because the media outlet was being critical of the performance of the club. I have to say at the time, I thought the level of critical comment from that media outlet was fairly reasonable... nothing like some Sydney clubs receive in the Sydney media.

I have to say, it hurts me to see critical comments about this site, because we work so hard to be the best club fan site in the NRL... so I can understand that critical comments about the club will impact those at the club in a similar fashion.

You do a great job and your hard work does not go unnoticed.

Unfortunately some of your fellow administrators drag the site down and do more to drive people away and lower the quality of discussions.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Nothing a poetry appreciation course or two can’t fix I’m sure!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

CRaid wrote:
gergreg wrote: August 10, 2022, 7:57 pm The irony of some **** bellend having a dig at posters having an inflated opinion of themselves. Buy yourself a mirror pal.

And the board... well, I don't actually know what the board does, but #$%and them too !!!
Doesn't hurt a bit. Stay and contribute ... leave if you want. I don't know who you are and I don't care to know. I don't care if you stay and I don't care if you leave.

If certain posters annoy you, block them. There is some really good discussion here. We ride the highs together ... 2019, this place was buzzing. Now we're struggling, this place reflects that.

That's the very nature of sport, and particularly the tribalism and passion people have for the game and this club. You can see that as a negative if you want. But at the end of the day, even the most bitter, whinging merkin on this site loves the club when it's winning.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gangrenous wrote:Nothing a poetry appreciation course or two can’t fix I’m sure!
蜘殺すあとの淋しき夜寒哉

After killing
a spider, how lonely I feel
in the cold of night!

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gergreg wrote:
CRaid wrote:

Doesn't hurt a bit. Stay and contribute ... leave if you want. I don't know who you are and I don't care to know. I don't care if you stay and I don't care if you leave.

If certain posters annoy you, block them. There is some really good discussion here. We ride the highs together ... 2019, this place was buzzing. Now we're struggling, this place reflects that.

That's the very nature of sport, and particularly the tribalism and passion people have for the game and this club. You can see that as a negative if you want. But at the end of the day, even the most bitter, whinging merkin on this site loves the club when it's winning.

You're completely wasting your time. Around 95% of old mate's posts are just criticising the forum and the people who post here. He's just here to troll, so not much purpose in engaging, no matter how reasonably.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The syllables are in the wrong lines!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gangrenous wrote:The syllables are in the wrong lines! Image
Not in the vernacular, they're not.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@CRaid

For someone who has a lot of critical things to say, you seem to have some large gaps in your understanding of The Greenhouse, and its breadth of operations. We are a multi-platform site. Our 90,000 followers incorporate our Facebook page, groups, our Twitter feeds and our Instagram feed. Our Pinterest page and our TikTok site. TheGH.com.au is the core part of The Greenhouse, but it is, these days, one part.

I understand you are choosing to focus on a few posters on TheGH.com.au who express views that I, personally, don't support. That seems to be where you have been coming from, from the start. Would I ever hope that the team does not win each and every game? Of course not. Never. Would I attempt to stop someone from expressing that view, in a way that is consistent with the site guidelines. No. That is their choice and it is not my role to tell them how to "fan". I personally think that comments like that are seriously misguided. But those are a few posters, and there are many interesting and worthy comments made in this forum.

In any case, you've already said you won't be participating here anymore. I understand it isn't for you. I also understand you won't be responding, as you've already told us that you've finished posting here. I wish you all the best.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

T_R wrote:

Syllables are wrong!
Not in the vernacular,
You uncultured swine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raider Azz wrote: August 10, 2022, 8:04 pm You do a great job and your hard work does not go unnoticed.
Thanks for that. Unfortunately, there are quite a few posts in this thread which suggest that it is unnoticed.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gangrenous wrote:
T_R wrote:

Syllables are wrong!
Not in the vernacular,
You uncultured swine

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ivan Cleary backs ‘fair’ Ricky Stuart ban, reveals how Panthers player Jaeman Salmon handled ‘weak-gutted dog’ slur

Penrith coach Ivan Cleary threw his support behind the one-week suspension for Canberra Raiders mentor Ricky Stuart after his post-match verbal attack on Panther Jaeman Salmon, declaring the NRL handled the situation “pretty well”.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... a83ed68e78
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

Chiming in to add my admiration for the work GE and anyone else involved in the running of this site does. I don't post often but am an avid reader and find this place to be one of the best supporter sites I've come across. I certainly don't think the team you support should be above your own criticism, and it's great that people call out problems with the club where they can see them (and there isn't any shortage of those).

As far as Ricky's comments go, I am firmly in the camp that they were out of line and back the punishment he's received. That said, they are also forever going to live in rugby league meme folklore which I am absolutely here for.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

greeneyed wrote:Ivan Cleary backs ‘fair’ Ricky Stuart ban, reveals how Panthers player Jaeman Salmon handled ‘weak-gutted dog’ slur

Penrith coach Ivan Cleary threw his support behind the one-week suspension for Canberra Raiders mentor Ricky Stuart after his post-match verbal attack on Panther Jaeman Salmon, declaring the NRL handled the situation “pretty well”.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... a83ed68e78
Oh good, it was killing me to know what Ivan Cleary had to say. Image

Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

I think 1 week was a cop out should've got 4 minimum, plus his wins and losses column is absolute garbage.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Uninspiring dinosaur.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.