Ricky Stuart banned for seven days and fined $25,000 for press conference comments

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Club leadership

Post by GreenMachine »

Old School Green wrote: August 8, 2022, 10:02 am I’m over the faux outrage about this and people using it to add to their gripes about Stuart.

Salmon kicked a bloke in the face and balls. Got charged. By reports Salmon was a problem kid growing up and had numerous issues with others including with Stuart’s son. So he called him a dog in a press conference. He’s apologised; done.

Is anyone seriously saying the Raiders brand is irreparably damaged because of this? Like board needing to take action because the sky is going to fall in? Spare me chicken little’s.

All part of the ridiculous yet engrossing drama of Rugby League. Move on.
Finally …someone with common sense.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Re: Canberra Raiders make club statement on Ricky Stuart press conference

Post by GreenMachine »

Honestly all the reasons (football reasons too) to fire Ricky, this ain’t it…
The public false outrage is laughable…
The world has gone mad.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

What a farce.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

:lol: It's only Rickmando who is outraged...Imagine not being a paying member and thinking you have any say or input on how the club is run
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Ricky apologised and the club and/or NRL will take some kind of action whether it is a fine or a short suspension.

The caravan will move on; and this will just enter the archives as another moment when loveable Ricky wore his heart on his sleeve.

The biggest farce in my opinion is that the subtext of all of this is that we are most likely going to miss the finals two years in a row; we have yet again been exposed by an elite team as a pretender; and the bloke responsible (the same bloke who doesn't have the professionalism to keep his emotions in check when we lose) is sitting on a freshly minted 3-year contract.
Up The Milk
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Raiders666 wrote:Image It's only Rickmando who is outraged...Imagine not being a paying member and thinking you have any say or input on how the club is run
As opposed to paying 'members', who you feel DO have a say?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

T_R wrote: August 8, 2022, 3:53 pm
Raiders666 wrote:Image It's only Rickmando who is outraged...Imagine not being a paying member and thinking you have any say or input on how the club is run

People can say “it’s only Rickmando” or “who cares”, but I can assure you it isn’t.

There is a core of supporters at any club that will blindly follow wherever the club goes and good on them. There are a lot of other fickle supporters that get accused of being bandwagon folks who only jump on when times are good.

There are others in between like Rickmando who have become disillusioned with the club. I haven’t opened my wallet for anything raiders for a good few years and I see others on here across various threads saying similar.

For every Rickmando who states that position you can bet there are good number of others that quietly exit stage left.

This matters when people seek to have discussions about stadiums or government funding or other things.

Celebrate Rickmando’s departure at your own risk.
CRaid
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by CRaid »

Raider Azz wrote: August 8, 2022, 10:54 am
Old School Green wrote: August 8, 2022, 10:02 am I’m over the faux outrage about this and people using it to add to their gripes about Stuart.

Salmon kicked a bloke in the face and balls. Got charged. By reports Salmon was a problem kid growing up and had numerous issues with others including with Stuart’s son. So he called him a dog in a press conference. He’s apologised; done.

Is anyone seriously saying the Raiders brand is irreparably damaged because of this? Like board needing to take action because the sky is going to fall in? Spare me chicken little’s.

As I've said multiple times in the game day thread, it is no coincidence those with the most "outrage" are the same that have been calling for Ricky and/or Don's head for some time now.

Ricky will get some kind of punishment from the NRL - it might be a fine with something extra, he will accept it and those that already hated Ricky will just add this to their list of reasons why, and those that support Ricky will continue to do so. Ultimately though, the Rugby League world will move on.

You can create 100 different threads and scream into the void as much as you like but this incident isn't going to change anything within the leadership structure of the club.
Well said both of you.

And all the usual detractors (on this forum) of club, coach, Furner, ball bay, blah blah will keep on detracting. Good luck to you guys. However I’ll give you a tip, you're all insignificant in the big picture (even if you do post 15+ posts a day), the club does not read them.
Drandyt
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by Drandyt »

CRaid wrote: August 8, 2022, 4:55 pm

As I've said multiple times in the game day thread, it is no coincidence those with the most "outrage" are the same that have been calling for Ricky and/or Don's head for some time now.

Ricky will get some kind of punishment from the NRL - it might be a fine with something extra, he will accept it and those that already hated Ricky will just add this to their list of reasons why, and those that support Ricky will continue to do so. Ultimately though, the Rugby League world will move on.

You can create 100 different threads and scream into the void as much as you like but this incident isn't going to change anything within the leadership structure of the club.
Well said both of you.

And all the usual detractors (on this forum) of club, coach, Furner, ball bay, blah blah will keep on detracting. Good luck to you guys. However I’ll give you a tip, you're all insignificant in the big picture (even if you do post 15+ posts a day), the club does not read them.
Yeah, well they bloody well should - then they would know that on a slippery night you don't keep running sideways and cramping your attack - you turn the ball back inside, try to wrong foot the defence - then maybe your four million tackles in the opposition 20 would result in more than 6 points!!!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

CRaid wrote:

Well said both of you.

Very true. Only option is to vote with their feet.

How are the crowds at Bruce in the last few years?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

T_R wrote: August 8, 2022, 5:17 pm
CRaid wrote:

Well said both of you.

Very true. Only option is to vote with their feet.

They will no doubt be bigger at the new Civic Stadium the Government just has to build to accommodate for the ever expanding supporter base……..
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Billy Walker wrote: August 8, 2022, 4:36 pm

People can say “it’s only Rickmando” or “who cares”, but I can assure you it isn’t.

There is a core of supporters at any club that will blindly follow wherever the club goes and good on them. There are a lot of other fickle supporters that get accused of being bandwagon folks who only jump on when times are good.

There are others in between like Rickmando who have become disillusioned with the club. I haven’t opened my wallet for anything raiders for a good few years and I see others on here across various threads saying similar.

For every Rickmando who states that position you can bet there are good number of others that quietly exit stage left.

This matters when people seek to have discussions about stadiums or government funding or other things.

Are you trying to suggest Andrew Barr or the federal government for that matter wouldn’t fund Canberra major infrastructure (a stadium) because Ricky called Jaeman a dog??? Or that they wouldn’t fund it because some fans don’t like the coach / people who run the club. I’m very confused.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Rickmando wrote: August 8, 2022, 2:47 pm That’s a weak apology. Great, let’s enable this egomaniacal man-child further shall we?

I stopped giving my money to this club a few years ago in protest of this bronze-age buffoon running our club.

Now, I’m actually going to stop my support. Thanks Canberra Raiders, it genuinely has been a great 35 years or so, but I’m done.
Please don't leave us, Rickmando. You've been a long time fan and this forum appreciates all views from its supporters.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Riaan wrote: August 8, 2022, 5:37 pm
Billy Walker wrote: August 8, 2022, 4:36 pm

Are you trying to suggest Andrew Barr or the federal government for that matter wouldn’t fund Canberra major infrastructure (a stadium) because Ricky called Jaeman a dog??? Or that they wouldn’t fund it because some fans don’t like the coach / people who run the club. I’m very confused.
Correct - you do seem confused.

Success breeds success. Most sporting clubs dream of a scenario where on field success is matched by off field growth in supporters and sponsors dollars. This makes it easier to attract top line recruits, grow the product further and expand. The raiders very quickly outgrew Seiffert and Woodgers in the late 90s and everyone wanted to be a part of it.

Right now the raiders have a poor product on the field and in my view are not covering themselves in glory off the field. You can dismiss my view, you can laugh off Rickmando or various others who have stopped opening the wallet and turning up.

Blame the weather, the salary cap, the NRL, Canberra not having a beach - there are a thousand excuses. Melbourne is not an NRL town and it does just fine.

At the moment the raiders are not a growth product and you don’t win a new stadium or get nice things. I’d suggest the club needs to draw a line in the sand and set a standard that aligns with the community it represents. Here is a start:

- Stop backing every player that gets arrested for drink driving, assault or anything else.
- Set the clubs expectations around vaccinations to something that aligns with Canberra being the highest vaccinated community in the world at the time.
- Take leadership on a situation where the coach has publicly attacked a family over an decade old incident with an 11 year old child.

Or don’t do any of those things - stay on this path. Hit the 8 every leap year or so and get a modest spike in interest before returning to the miserable decline that we blame on refs, player agents, unconscious bias, bunkers and the AFL.

You can face those facts, but something tells me you’d rather be confused…
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Looking forward to NRL 360 tonight.

Have your bingo cards out for how Paul Kent/Hoops et al will try and spin the farce.

I have the journo asking the question getting some heat, Salmon getting some heat, and a healthy reminder that our club is in a co-dependency situation with our coach and we will always be nothing more than "Ricky's Raiders".
Up The Milk
CRaid
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by CRaid »

T_R wrote: August 8, 2022, 5:17 pm Very true. Only option is to vote with their feet.

To answer your question, crowds have been what you would expect from a club in the middle of the table and some relatively disappointing performances, ie some 13,500. I attended the game on the weekend with a crowd of some 16,500 on a miserable cold rainy day.

Now lets put that in perspective.

Brisbane with a population over five times that of Canberra and with weather / stadium conditions more accepting to outdoor events has an average of 28,000. Ill let you do the maths.

Penrith being a top off the table club is averaging 17,800.

A traditional club such as South Sydney average 14,700.

Hopefully that answers a possible assumption by you that if the Raiders ignore comments on this forum crowd numbers will decrease.

In my opinion there are some posters that have a very much inflated view of their importance in the whole equation. Some even think they could do a better job, coaching, administering, player signing and retention, etc.

I repeat, the club does not read these comments. You’d be better using your time protesting outside the Chinese Embassy making you feelings heard on climate change.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Mickey_Raider wrote: August 8, 2022, 3:35 pm Ricky apologised and the club and/or NRL will take some kind of action whether it is a fine or a short suspension.

The caravan will move on; and this will just enter the archives as another moment when loveable Ricky wore his heart on his sleeve.

The biggest farce in my opinion is that the subtext of all of this is that we are most likely going to miss the finals two years in a row; we have yet again been exposed by an elite team as a pretender; and the bloke responsible (the same bloke who doesn't have the professionalism to keep his emotions in check when we lose) is sitting on a freshly minted 3-year contract.
Yes, well said, this is the bigger picture. We lost to a team without their 3 stars but weren't even in the game after 25 min. We'll be 10th again this year and getting further and further apart from the best team in the competition. No recruits for next year as well.

And you know what - I think our coach is too emotional and acts like a fan during game time on the sideline to make smart tactical coaching decisions during game time.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

CRaid... Not entering the debate... but I can tell you from personal experience that people at the club read this site.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

CRaid wrote: August 8, 2022, 6:02 pm

Hopefully that answers a possible assumption by you that if the Raiders ignore comments on this forum crowd numbers will decrease.

In my opinion there are some posters that have a very much inflated view of their importance in the whole equation. Some even think they could do a better job, coaching, administering, player signing and retention, etc.

I repeat, the club does not read these comments. You’d be better using your time protesting outside the Chinese Embassy making you feelings heard on climate change.
Firstly, I made no such assumption. Billy has described the situation as I see it and I won't repeat the post here.

The Raiders sit around 10th position for crowds, and numbers continue to decline. You can and I am sure will apply your own reasoning to why that is the case.

You missed the point of my post entirely, perhaps deliberately. I agree, the club doesn't care about posts here. They don't allow 'member' votes. They have shown themselves many, many times over to be absolutely tone deaf to the feelings of fans. Hell, they've come straight out and said it.

They will in this case do what they always do. They will protect the family farm. It doesn't matter what you do or don't do, it matters who changed your nappies.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Why Ricky Stuart did nothing wrong with ‘weak gutted dog’ slur, says Paul Kent

The testament to Ricky Stuart and this character of his they try to break is that he could easily roll over and spew out his reasons for why he said what he said on Saturday night, and watch opinions change, but he refuses, to protect his family.

Integrity Unit boss Jason King interviewed Stuart on Monday morning and was taken aback with the information. Parts of Stuart’s interview were so personal the Integrity Unit will not include them in the written report. It won’t be released publicly. Instead King will tell NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo what was revealed.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... db1685c06d

Ricky Stuart grilled over Jaeman Salmon slur

The NRL has formally interviewed Canberra coach Ricky Stuart over his controversial comments about Panthers five-eighth Jaeman Salmon on Saturday night. Stuart spoke with NRL Head of Integrity, Jason King, mid-morning on Monday. The NRL hopes to finalise the investigation within the next 24 to 48 hours.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 906dd0f42a
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao

Pulitzer stuff. Here's the summary "If you knew what the nasty eleven year old said...well, you'd understand why Ricky decided to call him names on TV a decade later. I mean, it's a secret so I can't tell you what he said, but if you knew what I knew! It's family! Ricky has kids! He needs to protect them from the nasty eleven year old!"

Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Right on cue, Paul Kent ladies and gentlemen.

Stamp your bingo cards.
Up The Milk
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

T_R wrote: August 8, 2022, 6:24 pm :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao

Pulitzer stuff. Here's the summary "If you knew what the nasty eleven year old said...well, you'd understand why Ricky decided to call him names on TV a decade later. I mean, it's a secret so I can't tell you what he said, but if you knew what I knew! It's family! Ricky has kids! He needs to protect them from the nasty eleven year old!"
They are going to insinuate as much as they can without saying that he may have made fun of people dear to Ricky with a disability.

Which would leave you furious and heartbroken. But still falls squarely in the category of dumb and horrible things kids do to each other.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Mickey_Raider wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

Right on cue, Paul Kent ladies and gentlemen.

Stamp your bingo cards.
Yep - Paul Kent will be his number 1 supporter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

BadnMean wrote: August 8, 2022, 6:31 pm
T_R wrote: August 8, 2022, 6:24 pm :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao

They are going to insinuate as much as they can without saying that he may have made fun of people dear to Ricky with a disability.

Which would leave you furious and heartbroken. But still falls squarely in the category of dumb and horrible things kids do to each other.
I think it would suit Stuart's narrative very well if people came to believe that. I mean, ignoring for a brief moment the sheer insanity of letting an eleven year old child rile you up.

But there's no actual suggestion that it was the case, and it's simply people taking the only thing they know about Stuart's private life, and extrapolating from there. There are a thousand more likely reasons that two little kids get into a barney on the rugby field.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL’s punishment for Stuart emerges

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart will reportedly be suspended for one game and slapped with a $20,000 fine for his “weak-gutted dog” spray directed towards Panthers player Jaeman Salmon.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ab9c38653c

Paul Kent indicating on NRL 360 that there was more than one incident in the past involving Jaeman Salmon and it involves more than one member of Ricky Stuart's family. It is more complex than the single incident that has been reported in the press to date. He says Ricky Stuart won't say more, as he has apologised and moved on, and wants to protect his family. The issues are so personal, the written report from the NRL Integrity Unit will not include some of the details.

Phil Rothfield says Ricky Stuart will be banned for one week and be fined $20,000, based on his sources at the NRL. The NRL has yet to finalise or annouce a decision, but it is expected by tomorrow.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: August 8, 2022, 5:58 pm
Rickmando wrote: August 8, 2022, 2:47 pm That’s a weak apology. Great, let’s enable this egomaniacal man-child further shall we?

I stopped giving my money to this club a few years ago in protest of this bronze-age buffoon running our club.

Now, I’m actually going to stop my support. Thanks Canberra Raiders, it genuinely has been a great 35 years or so, but I’m done.
Please don't leave us, Rickmando. You've been a long time fan and this forum appreciates all views from its supporters.
Cheers Hongers, all the best mate
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

A one week ban and a $20,000 fine is weak. I feel for the players who can be bullied like this from senior members of the game. This is not a deterrent at all… it’s the same as catching COVID and not being able to attend the game!

Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Rickmando wrote: August 8, 2022, 6:38 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: August 8, 2022, 5:58 pm

Cheers Hongers, all the best mate
He's back!
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

I’m far from Ricky’s biggest supporter…
In fact I want him replaced on coaching failures alone…
But this rubbish… being allowed or even used as an excuse to remove him from coaching is exactly why society has fallen in a heap…

Outrage for the sake of outrage …it’s ridiculous.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Cappy to coach?
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

LastRaider wrote: August 8, 2022, 6:40 pm A one week ban and a $20,000 fine is weak. I feel for the players who can be bullied like this from senior members of the game. This is not a deterrent at all… it’s the same as catching COVID and not being able to attend the game!

You do know the details of what Salmon did yeah?
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

I just don't think we are going well on and off the field. We really should have had a proper process in place to extend Ricky's contract. We haven't recruited anyone for next year. This is the lowest that I have felt about the club for quite some time.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Canberra Raiders make club statement on Ricky Stuart press conference

Post by LastRaider »

Raiders666 wrote:
LastRaider wrote: August 8, 2022, 6:40 pm A one week ban and a $20,000 fine is weak. I feel for the players who can be bullied like this from senior members of the game. This is not a deterrent at all… it’s the same as catching COVID and not being able to attend the game!

Yep - it’s an event that happen 12 years ago and regardless what happened you shouldn’t use your position in the game to defame anyone let alone someone 25 years + younger than you.

Last edited by LastRaider on August 8, 2022, 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Raiders666 wrote: August 8, 2022, 6:42 pm

Who the hell cares what an eleven year old child did a decade ago?????