Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: 2022 Rd 21 V Panthers: Game Day

Post by Billy Walker »

Seiffert82 wrote: August 6, 2022, 9:32 pm
Botman wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: August 6, 2022, 9:11 pm
Old School Green wrote:Salmon kicked him in the balls and face.

I think it is gutter dog behaviour and happy he called it out. Say what you like about his coaching but if one of our players was kicked in the balls and face like that I’d expect it to be called out.

Looking forward to the history of it coming out too. Kid obviously has form.
Yeah, I'm glad he said it.

On our performance, there were a few issues, but also a lot to like. A few sloppy things in there that cost us a lot, but plenty to be happy with given the final scoreline.

Can't be bothered going through it at the moment though.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
Brother. You're **** cooked. Image Image
His own coach isn't going to pull him up over it. Penrith have a terrible record of this sort of behaviour.

Don't care if others think it was over the line. Something needed to be said. They are a grubby club and it was a low act.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/canbe ... beed7c?amp
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Dr Zaius wrote: August 7, 2022, 5:55 am What is a weak gutted dog? A dog with diarrhoea?
Too many liver treats can give your dog diarrhoea…Ricky is just an advocate for healthy dog care
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

T_R wrote: August 7, 2022, 6:33 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote:
myanonymoususername wrote: August 6, 2022, 10:55 pm
Botman wrote: August 6, 2022, 8:34 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: August 6, 2022, 8:33 pm

I'm just as surprised as you !
That is absolutely **** WILD.
And I thought when I first read of it, highly defamatory.
It's not defamatory, it's his opinion of another person. If that is defamatory then you'd have defamation cases over people calling one another a EDIT.

How could you prove in a court of law that someone is or isn't a weak gutted dog? Image
Attacking the reputation and good name of someone doesn't defame them?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
I would suggest the comments comfortably meet 2 of the 3 standards for deformation in that they were made to an broad audience and are derogatory in nature that could reasonably result in people lowering their opinions of Salmon. The final factor is around resulting losses. If Salmon steps away from the game or other clubs withdraw from discussions with him I’d say Ricky could be in a spot of bother.

I doubt it would go down a legal path and the recent Depp and Roberts-Smith cases demonstrate that these things can get very ugly. Salmon would need to be comfortable for every skeleton in his closet to come to light in the hope he might get a modest payout.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Seiffert82 wrote: August 7, 2022, 12:30 am
Botman wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: August 6, 2022, 9:32 pm
Botman wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: August 6, 2022, 9:11 pm Yeah, I'm glad he said it.

On our performance, there were a few issues, but also a lot to like. A few sloppy things in there that cost us a lot, but plenty to be happy with given the final scoreline.

Can't be bothered going through it at the moment though.

Brother. You're **** cooked. Image Image
His own coach isn't going to pull him up over it. Penrith have a terrible record of this sort of behaviour.

Don't care if others think it was over the line. Something needed to be said. They are a grubby club and it was a low act.

Your actually defending these comments? Doubling down.
Wow. Shameful ****.
Righto.

Shameful indeed. Much outrage in this thread at the end of a loss.

I'm mainly glad the coach stood up for his player at the end of intentionally foul play. The calls for legal action etc are a bit over the top.

#NRM.#
Stood up for his player?
I don’t think he mentioned Starling at all. He just abused and attacked Salmon
There was no defence of Starling at all

The **** are you even talking about? Haha
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

If anyone thinks Salmon kick was an accident, please give yourself un uppercut, bloke positioned his foot and struck, gets penalised and doest even apologise, Ricky shouldnt have said what he said ONLY BECAUSE IT LOOKS BAD ON THE GAME, but I agree with him, Salmon actually has a bad reputation on and off the field. But in saying all this I hope this is quickly over, Ricky will fined, he will make a public apology and we move on. Ohhh and Salmon will get a $1k fine no suspension
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Billy Walker wrote: August 7, 2022, 8:11 am
T_R wrote: August 7, 2022, 6:33 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote:
myanonymoususername wrote: August 6, 2022, 10:55 pm
Botman wrote: August 6, 2022, 8:34 pm

That is absolutely **** WILD.
And I thought when I first read of it, highly defamatory.
It's not defamatory, it's his opinion of another person. If that is defamatory then you'd have defamation cases over people calling one another a EDIT.

How could you prove in a court of law that someone is or isn't a weak gutted dog? Image
Attacking the reputation and good name of someone doesn't defame them?

I would suggest the comments comfortably meet 2 of the 3 standards for deformation in that they were made to an broad audience and are derogatory in nature that could reasonably result in people lowering their opinions of Salmon. The final factor is around resulting losses. If Salmon steps away from the game or other clubs withdraw from discussions with him I’d say Ricky could be in a spot of bother.

I doubt it would go down a legal path and the recent Depp and Roberts-Smith cases demonstrate that these things can get very ugly. Salmon would need to be comfortable for every skeleton in his closet to come to light in the hope he might get a modest payout.
If Stick had referred to a specific incident that didn't happen then he'd could be in trouble. He went broad though, and should be safe as I don't believe many lawsuits are launched based on personal insult.

https://prosperlaw.com.au/post/defamation-in-australia/

The statement must convey a defamatory meaning or imputation
It is important to remember that a person must prove that the words published would make others (i.e. an ordinary reasonable reader) either think less, shun or avoid the individual. It is not enough that the words portray the defamed person in a negative, or even in a ridiculous light.

The relevant standard of “the ordinary reasonable reader” recognises that such a reader may draw inferences from defamatory material.

The courts have held that the intention of the author or publisher is not relevant to whether the statement is defamatory.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

The guy lashed out with his boot. But the penalty and on report was enough. Pretty sure Raps and Joey have done the same thing in the past.

And I don't remember the Warriors or Cantebury coaches ripping Young to shreds with character attacks in the presser after the dug fingers in the eyes of their players.

Ricky WAY out of line for a relatively run of the mill bit of foul play.
Crusader
Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

Does anyone think panthers are EDIT? The two years they have become this new team is strange, they are fitter then the storms 2006-2018 era in just 2 years
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Seiffert82 wrote: August 7, 2022, 6:30 am Meanwhile, the performance by our lads wasn't great, but it did highlight how well drilled the Penrith defence is.

The conditions were pretty terrible for most of the game. Our handling at critical moments let us down. We were also never able to maintain any momentum as Penrith were very effective in slowing down the ruck.

I thought our short kicking game was excellent and our defence, apart from the missed tackles that led to tries was pretty solid. Like any good team, Penrith certainly punished us for our errors, and were able to defend theirs.

Our service out of dummy half at times was poor, and at time Fog and Jack cramped our attack laterally. By the end we were going sideways rather than straight and it showed.

Bit of a reality check and the "feud" gets ratcheted up another notch. Good times.

This match and the Rabbitohs making mincemeat of the Warriors showed we're still firmly on the third-tier of clubs. We didn't fire a shot, and as expected a player like CHN who is lauded when he carves up the Warriors was firing blanks against a top tier defence. Not that it's his fault, Starling and out halves don't know how to put quality defence under pressure and force them into decision making scenarios. Those 3 sets in a row later in the first half were embarassing when we tried to run over the top of 12-man Penrith for 18 tackles.

The Rabbits thrashing the Warriors when we went life and death with them was sobering.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I was at a wedding so missed the game, but great to see their “ambush” went exactly as most of us thought it would.

God we’re a stupid, stupid team.
thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by thedevilingreen »

I've been thinking about this since last night. What the player did was wrong there is no question about that. What Ricky said in the press conference was wrong in every way, but what it did do was deflect the attention away from yet another listless display from his players and his game plan.

I'm grateful that he took us to the grand final in 2019 but four final appearances in his time, multiple rebuilds, a petulant attitude they bubbles to the surface regularly and his inability to move on players past their best because he doesn't want to be seen as the bad guy.

I was sitting on the fence about renewing my membership but after his comments I no longer want to be associated with the team. I will still scream at my tv every weekend and support the team but I can't do it as a paying member when this man is still coach of our club.
Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

thedevilingreen wrote: August 7, 2022, 8:50 am I've been thinking about this since last night. What the player did was wrong there is no question about that. What Ricky said in the press conference was wrong in every way, but what it did do was deflect the attention away from yet another listless display from his players and his game plan.

I'm grateful that he took us to the grand final in 2019 but four final appearances in his time, multiple rebuilds, a petulant attitude they bubbles to the surface regularly and his inability to move on players past their best because he doesn't want to be seen as the bad guy.

I was sitting on the fence about renewing my membership but after his comments I no longer want to be associated with the team. I will still scream at my tv every weekend and support the team but I can't do it as a paying member when this man is still coach of our club.
And just remember Ricky was re-signed just three weeks ago after one good win vs Melbourne.

4.More.Years.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Apparently he kicked out at Wighton in the first half too. Still doesn't excuse Stuart's terrible handling of the situation but it's what we've come to accept from the super coach.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

GreenMachine wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: August 7, 2022, 5:55 am What is a weak gutted dog? A dog with diarrhoea?
Too many liver treats can give your dog diarrhoea…Ricky is just an advocate for healthy dog care
He's been misunderstood. He's a humanitarian. An animal rights advocate. Some would call him a hero.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Dr Zaius wrote:
GreenMachine wrote:
He's been misunderstood. He's a humanitarian. An animal rights advocate. Some would call him a hero.
Tag Paul Kent in on your post. He'll be scratching around for an angle and he might just be able to work with this.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
BJ
Steve Walters

2022 Rd 21 V Panthers: Game Day

Post by BJ »

Salmon’s parents should definitely sue Ricky.

Now as a Penrith player, if we can just work out which of 17 suspects is his real father the court can work out where to send the money.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

reptar wrote:
Hong Kong Raider wrote:Seems like EDIT from the below, but some of our guys have done stupid things as well. EDIT

Personal life

On October 14, 2018, it was reported that Salmon had crashed his white Jeep Cherokee into 3 parked cars before rolling onto its roof, stopping southbound traffic in Miranda in Sydney’s south. Salmon was taken to hospital for mandatory blood and urine testing before being released.[12]

On 5 December 2018, Salmon was charged with low range drink driving for the incident which occurred in October 2018. Salmon was ordered to complete a safe driving course and faced court in January 2019.[13]

On 17 January 2019, Salmon was fined $1500 and disqualified from driving for 6 months at Sutherland Local Court. The court heard Salmon was checking his phone when his Jeep Cherokee crossed onto the wrong side of the road, hit three parked cars before flipping onto its roof stopping traffic. The court also heard Salmon had been out clubbing in Cronulla and arrived on home at 3am, slept for 6 hours before waking at 9am to get breakfast and then buy a suit from Westfield Miranda when the crash occurred.[14]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaeman_Salmon
If that’s it, then Ricky has far worse things in his past.
You're not going to give us a history lesson on the Yamba drive traffic lights, are you Rep?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

gergreg wrote: August 7, 2022, 10:06 am
reptar wrote:
Hong Kong Raider wrote:Seems like EDIT from the below, but some of our guys have done stupid things as well. EDIT

Personal life

On October 14, 2018, it was reported that Salmon had crashed his white Jeep Cherokee into 3 parked cars before rolling onto its roof, stopping southbound traffic in Miranda in Sydney’s south. Salmon was taken to hospital for mandatory blood and urine testing before being released.[12]

On 5 December 2018, Salmon was charged with low range drink driving for the incident which occurred in October 2018. Salmon was ordered to complete a safe driving course and faced court in January 2019.[13]

On 17 January 2019, Salmon was fined $1500 and disqualified from driving for 6 months at Sutherland Local Court. The court heard Salmon was checking his phone when his Jeep Cherokee crossed onto the wrong side of the road, hit three parked cars before flipping onto its roof stopping traffic. The court also heard Salmon had been out clubbing in Cronulla and arrived on home at 3am, slept for 6 hours before waking at 9am to get breakfast and then buy a suit from Westfield Miranda when the crash occurred.[14]

You're not going to give us a history lesson on the Yamba drive traffic lights, are you Rep?

You can't hang the entire character prosecution of Salmon on the fact he buys his suits at Westfield.
Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Raider of d Lost Ark »

BJ wrote:Salmon’s parents should definitely sue Ricky.

Now as a Penrith player, if we can just work out which of 17 suspects is his real father the court can work out where to send the money.
ImageImageImage
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BadnMean wrote:
gergreg wrote: August 7, 2022, 10:06 am
reptar wrote:

Personal life

You can't hang the entire character prosecution of Salmon on the fact he buys his suits at Westfield.
Miranda Fair does have a bloody good Lowes TBF.

Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Dr Zaius wrote: August 7, 2022, 9:31 am
GreenMachine wrote:
It's a story about love, deception, greed, lust, and unbridled enthusiasm. You see, Ricky was a simple country boy, you might say a cockeyed optimist, who got himself mixed up in the high-stakes game of world diplomacy and international intrigue.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Mr Squiggle
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Mr Squiggle »

My question is what disciplinary action will the Raiders take? Ricky has clearly brought the club and the game into disrepute with this extraordinarily personal attack on another player. An attack that allegedly has its genesis in a long running dispute involving Ricky's Son.

Given the power imbalance and the nastiness of the outburst, a swift and forceful response is required from the Raiders and the NRL. To do nothing or to do too little would be seen as endorsing this kind of bullying and intimidatory behaviour.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

I’m not going into the coaches comments because who knows the history there.

But that was really a disgraceful action. Honestly rugby league is a game and sometimes people seem to forget that there are limits to the physicality… lashing out with kicks is dirty.. it just shouldn’t happen.. especially at the nuts.. tbh if I was reffing and it was a raiders player I would send him off.

It is really really dirty and a way worse look for the game then a coach whose throwing a tantrum on another season circling the toilet.

Just like Hudson young eye gouging was a terrible look.. stuff that is outside the confines of the game should be penalised heavily - it shouldn’t happen
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Mr Squiggle wrote:My question is what disciplinary action will the Raiders take? Ricky has clearly brought the club and the game into disrepute with this extraordinarily personal attack on another player. An attack that allegedly has its genesis in a long running dispute involving Ricky's Son.

Given the power imbalance and the nastiness of the outburst, a swift and forceful response is required from the Raiders and the NRL. To do nothing or to do too little would be seen as endorsing this kind of bullying and intimidatory behaviour.
None. And it's a fair indication of where our club is at.

Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

To what level can something be deemed defamatory? Nathan Hindmarsh called Michael Ennis a grub in a presser. Politicians call each other out as liars and incompetent all the time (true as that may be). Don’t we need to get to a higher level than personal insult? Like falsely accuse him of crimes or something?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Whether or not it meets a legal definition of 'defamation' is neither here nor there. It was grotesque, petulant and a truly awful look for the Raiders.

If you had a kid looking towards an NRL future, would you see Stuart and think to yourself 'this is something I want to be a part of?'

I see a pathetic, whined little man with serious personality issues.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

T_R wrote: August 7, 2022, 10:47 am Whether or not it meets a legal definition of 'defamation' is neither here nor there. It was grotesque, petulant and a truly awful look for the Raiders.

If you had a kid looking towards an NRL future, would you see Stuart and think to yourself 'this is something I want to be a part of?'

I’m asking in a potential legal action sense, not a “there’s nothing wrong with what he said” sense
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

According to an article in the SMH, the comment came as a result of an incident in an under 12s game where Stuart's son and Salmon had a run in. Stuart then went and got into the 11 year old Salmon after the game, before being told to bugger off by Salmon's dad. Apparently the pair 'had to be separated'. At an under 12s game.

Yes, Stuart held a grudge over a decade against an 11 year old child.

He's not well.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Finchy wrote:
T_R wrote: August 7, 2022, 10:47 am Whether or not it meets a legal definition of 'defamation' is neither here nor there. It was grotesque, petulant and a truly awful look for the Raiders.

I’m asking in a potential legal action sense, not a “there’s nothing wrong with what he said” sense
Salmon would have to show actual damages to take action against Stuart.

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

100% agree with TR. Not a legal expert by any means but i doubt any serious legal action will come from those comments. But what it does show is what sort of man we've handed the keys to for another 4 years.

And it's not someone i would entrust with my kids future.
Crusader
Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

did Canberra even study the panthers for this match? we would of lost to any team playing the way we did last night, I cannot stand our attack its so.....bland, we have no idea how to use the potential of a player, that was Rapanas last fullback game ever, this game was probs the most embarrassing game

1. lost taps
2. led 6-0
3. clueless against 12
4. Crichton scores
5. 6 again galore
6. lost sutton
7. injured edwards absouloutly bathed every player
8. dummy half try last 4 games against panthers
9. stuarts comments
10. viking clap
11. flat attack (3 sets in a row)
12. terrible 1 on 1 tackles
Crusader
Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

T_R wrote: August 7, 2022, 10:52 am
Finchy wrote:

Salmon would have to show actual damages to take action against Stuart.

panthers do tend to stay away from these negative headlines, or they will claim that he is depressed and emotionally hurt by the comments, which is enough these days to get ricky in some serious hot water
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart apologises for astonishing outburst as 2010 incident revealed

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has apologised for making comments regarding Jaemon Salmon.

The Sydney Morning Herald reports Stuart's anger stems from an incident in 2010, when his son and Salmon were playing in the same under 12s team.

While the exact incident is not specified, the report claims Stuart - then Cronulla's NRL coach - was so incensed that he approached a young Salmon, whose father stood up for his son and almost got in a physical altercation with the rugby league legend.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/live-score ... cial-NRLFS

The history between Stuart and Salmon that triggered ‘weak-gutted dog’ attack: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/reveal ... 5b7vc.html

NRL to investigate Raiders coach Ricky Stuart after labelling Panther Jaeman Salmon a 'weak-gutted dog'

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart will be investigated by the NRL Integrity Unit after his controversial comments on Saturday night.

"Whenever there's an issue like this, we ask the integrity team to gather information and have a look at it," NRL CEO Andrew Abdo said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... al-attack/

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart breaks silence on 'weak-gutted dog' comments, family history with Penrith Panther Jaeman Salmon: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14264

NRL investigating Stuart’s vicious attack as details of feud uncovered: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 0d0d6b1cc1

Stuart ‘truly sorry’ for Salmon comments after claiming he wouldn’t be ‘backing down’: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 489a6eeaf8
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Still not quite sure what a weak gutted dog is.

Was he trying to say “weak gutless dog” and stumbled on his words or something?
Up The Milk
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Mr Squiggle wrote: August 7, 2022, 10:24 am My question is what disciplinary action will the Raiders take? Ricky has clearly brought the club and the game into disrepute with this extraordinarily personal attack on another player. An attack that allegedly has its genesis in a long running dispute involving Ricky's Son.

You are correct. I suspect the club will do very little. The NRL I hope takes some serious action but I won’t hold my breath.

I think a lot of people don’t appreciate the broader damage things like this do to the club, it’s standing in the community and with potential sponsors. It would be in the club’s interest to take a strong stand here but we know we won’t.