The Television Thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: The Television Thread

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Dr Zaius wrote:I want to know what agreements were in place. They were putting alerts on randoms phones, hacking randoms accounts, trespassing. A lot of it sounds illegal. Also reckon they need to sort out the camera man issue. I'm positive Sonny and Cher only got sprung because the ground crew noticed the cameraman.
Yeah I wonder that also. They advise some of the surveillance methods are simulated, so maybe they have to declare their circle of contacts they might use, and get waivers from them or something.
It’s true about the cameraman, but I don’t know what the alternative would be, besides Go-Pros, but you’d get car sick watching that.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Good start to House of the Dragon.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Yeah, but it’s not starting things that GOT struggles with 🥹
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: August 22, 2022, 12:24 pm Good start to House of the Dragon.
Very pumped to get the kids to bed tonight and really lock into it
Feel like they absolutely have to NAIL the Daemon Targaryen character if the series is going to be great
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: August 4, 2022, 7:24 am
Dr Zaius wrote:I want to know what agreements were in place. They were putting alerts on randoms phones, hacking randoms accounts, trespassing. A lot of it sounds illegal. Also reckon they need to sort out the camera man issue. I'm positive Sonny and Cher only got sprung because the ground crew noticed the cameraman.
Yeah I wonder that also. They advise some of the surveillance methods are simulated, so maybe they have to declare their circle of contacts they might use, and get waivers from them or something.
It’s true about the cameraman, but I don’t know what the alternative would be, besides Go-Pros, but you’d get car sick watching that.
Also apparently Ten Play is going to have some UK and US seasons on it to stream from Sept 1. Eager to see how they play out given some of what you've said
So my wife and i will be getting stuck right into those i reckon!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Botman wrote: August 22, 2022, 2:01 pm
greeneyed wrote: August 22, 2022, 12:24 pm Good start to House of the Dragon.
Very pumped to get the kids to bed tonight and really lock into it
Feel like they absolutely have to NAIL the Daemon Targaryen character if the series is going to be great
They did the damn thing
Thrones is back. What a great opening ep

About to get stuck into She Hulk too which ive heard is a super fun show, so excited for that. Andor just around the corner, Power of the rings

what a **** time for content!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Rings of Power is visually stunning and has opened with an absolute couple of banger episodes for anyone interested in the Tolkien's middle earth world. Really excited to see where that's going

Its giving us a good mix of new characters with some old we're familiar with to help ground the series. Curious as to theories about
a) Have we met Sauron yet and if so who is he?
My answer: I dont think we have met him yet, but if we have, Halbrand is a short priced favourite (i suspect he'll actually end up being one of the Nazgul)

b) Who is the stranger?
I think he's one of the 5 wizards, not Saruman or Gandalf but rather one of the blue.

I dont think any of this is spoilers because unless you've seen the show i think both those questions and answers would be very confusing.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

EJ wrote:Any Survivor fans, I played in a fan run version of the show last year. It's all been edited now and the premiere dropped yesterday. Each episode will drop Sunday nights till season's end.

I'm 'Matt C' (maybe redundant to say when you see a guy wearing a Raiders jacket), I was subbed in 8:30 the night before it started, so prep time was basically zilch, but I'm proud to be part of the season. For a series that relies purely on volunteers, operates on a tiny budget, the production value is ridic.

Link to premiere:
Very cool! Would love to watch, but I just finished this year’s Aussie survivor! Image

Hope you had a blast and did well!
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Started watching the Wrexham FC show on Disney. Documentary about Ryan Reynolds buying a lower tier soccer team. 3 episodes in and really enjoying it.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Wife just got Disney for a couple of months. So will be catching up on Dr Strange 2 and the latest Thor. I haven't seen the new Star wars offerings ... what is it ... Kenobi? So will catch up on that. Not sure if there's anything else worth watching but the girls enjoyed 'turning red' this arvo.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

We also really enjoyed both seasons of Only Murders in the Building on Disney. Funny and insightful view on the modern world.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

gergreg wrote:Wife just got Disney for a couple of months. So will be catching up on Dr Strange 2 and the latest Thor. I haven't seen the new Star wars offerings ... what is it ... Kenobi? So will catch up on that. Not sure if there's anything else worth watching but the girls enjoyed 'turning red' this arvo.

Mandalorian is one of the best shows going around. Definitely recommend. Agree with Only Murders, it’s great. You have the Marvel shows as well. Disneys pretty good.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

BJ wrote: September 17, 2022, 7:20 pm Started watching the Wrexham FC show on Disney. Documentary about Ryan Reynolds buying a lower tier soccer team. 3 episodes in and really enjoying it.
Very keen to get into this. God a few things to get through but it looks super interesting
gergreg wrote: September 17, 2022, 7:45 pm Wife just got Disney for a couple of months. So will be catching up on Dr Strange 2 and the latest Thor. I haven't seen the new Star wars offerings ... what is it ... Kenobi? So will catch up on that. Not sure if there's anything else worth watching but the girls enjoyed 'turning red' this arvo.

Kenobi, Mando and the new one that is dropping in the next few days Andor might be the best of them both
The star wars stuff coming out is exceptional

As for marvel, this phase 4 has been a little up and down but i think phase 5 is going to be off the charts. Loki at the very least is a brilliant show.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Yep really enjoyed the Mandalorian.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Andor released yesterday, first 3 eps are up, very solid start

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Finished Kenobi last night. Not bad. I did watch Mandalorian when it first came out. Will try the Boba Fett one next and then Andor.

I tried to watch Wandavision a while back and couldn't get into it - may have been too drunk at the time . Not that invested in Marvel series though, but have heard Loki is okay and he is an interesting character.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Andor is **** awesome... slow burn but i love this sort of story telling
Where they open a world up and tell a story but dont have it tethered to the orignal content.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

gergreg wrote:Finished Kenobi last night. Not bad. I did watch Mandalorian when it first came out. Will try the Boba Fett one next and then Andor.

I tried to watch Wandavision a while back and couldn't get into it - may have been too drunk at the time Image. Not that invested in Marvel series though, but have heard Loki is okay and he is an interesting character.

It depends on when you stopped. The first 2-3 eps were weird, but once they reveal what’s going on in the town it gets spicy.

Nickman's love of NSW
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

BJ wrote: September 17, 2022, 7:20 pm Started watching the Wrexham FC show on Disney. Documentary about Ryan Reynolds buying a lower tier soccer team. 3 episodes in and really enjoying it.
It's way more about getting all of the Mac traits from Mcelhenney than Reynolds for an always sunny fan tbh.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Botman wrote: September 22, 2022, 11:05 am Andor is **** awesome... slow burn but i love this sort of story telling
Where they open a world up and tell a story but dont have it tethered to the orignal content.
Yep it's great.

World-building is good and it's really building well.

Great cast too.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Interesting…

Rolling Stone: The 100 Greatest TV Shows of All Time: https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/ ... 234598401/

Haven’t even heard of some of them…
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Both of the offices and curb your enthusiasm are outside the top 30. All in the family, Veep, The Americans and Fleabag are. It's all subjective.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Begbie wrote:Both of the offices and curb your enthusiasm are outside the top 30. All in the family, Veep, The Americans and Fleabag are. It's all subjective.
Kingswood Country and Bullpit somehow didn’t make the list!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

BJ wrote:
Begbie wrote:Both of the offices and curb your enthusiasm are outside the top 30. All in the family, Veep, The Americans and Fleabag are. It's all subjective.
didn't age well

Edrick The Entertainer
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Michael Schur gets some good recognition with The Office US, Good Place and Parks and Rec. Seeing Community in there was good. I’d challenge Jeopardy being in there, I don’t think gameshows count. The list needed more Schitt’s Creek.

Nickman's love of NSW
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

greeneyed wrote: September 27, 2022, 7:51 pm Interesting…

Rolling Stone: The 100 Greatest TV Shows of All Time: https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/ ... 234598401/

Haven’t even heard of some of them…
There’s some pandering there. But The Wire, Fleabag and Breaking Bad are in good spots IMO.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Oz and Sunny are way too low from the top and bottom I have seen.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

bonehead wrote:
BJ wrote:
didn't age well

Didn’t age well two decades before they were first aired.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

House of the Dragon :thumbsup
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

the bone wrote: October 3, 2022, 1:01 pm House of the Dragon :thumbsup
Yeah im really enjoying it. I've read Blood and Fire so not a ton of this is very surprising, but they're still finding ways to add elements to the story that shock book readers.

Andor, HOTD and Rings of Power are all absolutely cracking shows that im really very invested in. Dragons and rings of power are coming to a close shortly so that's a bit sad. Very excited to get into season 2 of these properties though.

Andor is just heating up
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Botman wrote: October 4, 2022, 6:44 pm
the bone wrote: October 3, 2022, 1:01 pm House of the Dragon :thumbsup
Yeah im really enjoying it. I've read Blood and Fire so not a ton of this is very surprising, but they're still finding ways to add elements to the story that shock book readers.

Andor, HOTD and Rings of Power are all absolutely cracking shows that im really very invested in. Dragons and rings of power are coming to a close shortly so that's a bit sad. Very excited to get into season 2 of these properties though.

Andor is just heating up
I’ve read the asoiaf books but none of the offshoots, so this series is all new to me. Really enjoying it. The scene with the kids fighting and then the following scene were some of the tensest television I’ve ever watched. That was a punk move from Alicent’s kid - I was legit angry about it :lol:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Just finished Rings of Power today
I had a pretty good read on things early... but man what an awesome series it's been. Unfortunately the next season isnt due until late 2023, and probably actually early 2024... long way to wait
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That sure was an amazing episode of House of the Dragon.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: October 18, 2022, 1:44 pm That sure was an amazing episode of House of the Dragon.
The series has been really good. The final ep next week and im pretty confident about where the season will end on. But it should set it up for a really cracking (and much slower, more typical GoT's tv where they really start to establish the characters and slow the pacing down dramatically) season 2

The series has basically gone 30-40 years in the space of 10 eps. The next few seasons will cover 2-3 years
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Wow. What a final episode of the series for House of the Dragon. Those final scenes...