Don Furner blasts August 1 transfer deadline

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

‘Killing tribalism’: NRL club chief blasts August 1 transfer deadline

The longest-serving club official in the NRL has blasted the August 1 transfer deadline, and said the rule brought in to help short-staffed clubs while in COVID bubbles was “killing tribalism”.

“How can fans remain loyal to your club and the players you sign when they are chopping and changing this late in the season?” Furner asked. “I do not agree with it. It’s a bad look for our game. There’s too much turnover as it is with players moving between clubs and some even pulling out of deals.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/killin ... 5b6c5.html
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Re: Don Furner blasts August 1 transfer deadline

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Don is right.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

It's a rubbish rule. SBW to Roosters, TPJ to Panthers and now Noafolomu to Storm. Basically, genuine premiership contenders strengthening their roster a month before the finals. Absolutely ridiculous and it must be stopped.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It brings the integrity of the whole competition into question. It absolutely stinks. Don't forget Matt Lodge and Oliver Gildart to the Roosters.

Thankfully, V'landys is saying it'll be back to the middle of the year in 2023. Changed his tune since the time the Roosters recruited SBW. That was wonderful for the game... blah, blah, blah.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

And it's also a window into our club that shows we don't have the ruthlessness to win a comp, I don't think you should be able to loan in players now but you can and it looks we didn't try everything to win the comp.
I'm a big fan of Savage but our weaknesses today are our spine specifically 1 and 9, where was the inquiry to Reece Walsh and Brailey from the knights?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

But hang on. The rule is there so why didn't we seek to take advantage of it?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

FROG wrote: August 3, 2022, 6:52 am But hang on. The rule is there so why didn't we seek to take advantage of it?
Don only remembered it on August 2.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:It brings the integrity of the whole competition into question. It absolutely stinks. Don't forget Matt Lodge and Oliver Gildart to the Roosters.

Thankfully, V'landys is saying it'll be back to the middle of the year in 2023. Changed his tune since the time the Roosters recruited SBW. That was wonderful for the game... blah, blah, blah.
Hang on a minute??? I thought teams could only leave one spot on their 30 open until the August deadline?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

The Tigers CEO seems like a bit of a tool. Also doesnt like the rule, in the meantime Nofoaluma is in the process of being loaned to Melbourne. Like heaven forbid the Storm dont make it to the top four one year. The horror!
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Don's right you know

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

V'landy's created this problem when the rule wasn't reverted to June 30 after the COVID restriction were eased.

I'm glad the media is jumping on board the outrage. Obviously the clubs who are benefiting the most are the biggest and most successful teams in the comp, so often the criticisms are squashed for the profile of the game itself.

Seriously, on what planet is it OK for a team at the top of the table to strengthen its roster a month out of the finals, at the expense of the clubs finally confirmed to be out of contention?

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

It really sucks. It’s a Foreign sport thing that hurts rugby league. One of the great things about this game is the attrition and how clubs deal with it. My favorite non Canberra run in recent history is 2017 Cowboys. What they did without Thurston and Scott was special. Being able to bring in players when the season is 80% completed is an absolute joke.

And honestly it would make plenty of players vying for first grade in lower grades wonder why they even **** bother. Nothing will change my mind away from the rugby league community being better for young debutantes coming in now near the finals rather than those players who’ve been cherry picked from the lower teams.

And while it stands as it is. There is a whole wedge of teams (middle of the table) who essentially miss out on any advantage of the current deadline.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Sid wrote: August 3, 2022, 9:08 am Don's right you know

About the tribalism?
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

The Nickman wrote: August 3, 2022, 9:56 am
Sid wrote: August 3, 2022, 9:08 am Don's right you know

About the tribalism?
About everything dammit!
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Even foreign sports like EPL don’t let you bring in new players 77% of the way through your season.

It’s a ridiculous leg up for the top teams guaranteed a finals place who can use that as a lure for good players from teams who aren’t going to make the finals.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

BJ wrote: August 3, 2022, 10:26 am Even foreign sports like EPL don’t let you bring in new players 77% of the way through your season.

It’s a ridiculous leg up for the top teams guaranteed a finals place who can use that as a lure for good players from teams who aren’t going to make the finals.
They do but they have trade deadlines.

For example in the NHL this year, the trade deadline was March 21st.

The season started October 12th and the regular season ended on the 29th of April.

Trade deadline was 80% through the season.

They do play 82 regular season games though.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

hrundi89 wrote:
BJ wrote: August 3, 2022, 10:26 am Even foreign sports like EPL don’t let you bring in new players 77% of the way through your season.

The season started October 12th and the regular season ended on the 29th of April.

I knew as I wrote my comment that someone would have been able to dig up an example of a professional sport somewhere in the world that would beat this. Image

82 games of Ice Hockey, I’m surprised they have half a fit squad of available players per team.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

So players need 18 months lead time for their next contract yet can still change clubs a few weeks out from finals. NRL logic at its best.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

BJ wrote: August 3, 2022, 12:07 pm
hrundi89 wrote:

I knew as I wrote my comment that someone would have been able to dig up an example of a professional sport somewhere in the world that would beat this. Image

82 games of Ice Hockey, I’m surprised they have half a fit squad of available players per team.
Well in hockey there are 4 lines of 3 forwards, 3 lines of 2 defenders and a goalie and backup goalie.

Average game time per player is 15-20 minutes out of 60 minutes.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Is it really a “blast” or would a correct headline include the words “politely complains” or perhaps even “whines”…..
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Billy Walker wrote:Is it really a “blast” or would a correct headline include the words “politely complains” or perhaps even “whines”…..
Really depends on which agenda is being pushing.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.