Titans 13+
13%

Total votes: 16

Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Re: 2022 Rd 20 V Titans: Teams and Previews

Post by Raiders666 »

I thought Papalii and Tapine were outstanding again yesterday... Is there a better 8 and 10 in the comp?
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

1. Savage
2. Cotric
3. Kris
4. Timoko
5. Hopoate
6. Wighton (c)
7. Fogarty
8. Papalii
9. Woolford
10. Tapine (c)
11. Young
12. Harawira-Naera
13. Elliott

14. Starling
15. Sutton
16. Schiller
17. Horsburgh
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Raiders666 wrote: July 24, 2022, 10:02 am I thought Papalii and Tapine were outstanding again yesterday... Is there a better 8 and 10 in the comp?
Some may say RCG and Paulo at Parra. But I’d disagree. I think our boys are the best.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Rick wrote: July 23, 2022, 11:38 pm If I’m Wighton, Tapine or Papa there is no way I want to be named captain.

It’s a curse!

Whitehead- named captain and now stinks

Hodgo - Named captain and then nothing but injuries and to make matters even worse the poor bastard has been signed by Parra.

Croker - Had an injury free career until named captain.

Campo - Was the Raiders best player in a long time. Gets made captain and then Ricky Stuart had to put him down in the car park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Croker has only been injured the last couple of years. He was named captain in 2014. It’s an age-related decline, not a curse.
Greenev
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Greenev »

Finchy wrote: July 24, 2022, 10:36 am
Rick wrote: July 23, 2022, 11:38 pm If I’m Wighton, Tapine or Papa there is no way I want to be named captain.

It’s a curse!

Whitehead- named captain and now stinks

Hodgo - Named captain and then nothing but injuries and to make matters even worse the poor bastard has been signed by Parra.

Croker - Had an injury free career until named captain.

Campo - Was the Raiders best player in a long time. Gets made captain and then Ricky Stuart had to put him down in the car park.

Croker has only been injured the last couple of years. He was named captain in 2014. It’s an age-related decline, not a curse.
Mooney needs to be the long term captain
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Green Machine 2011 wrote: July 24, 2022, 5:27 am It’s all a moot point because Stick isn’t dropping him.

Horse in for Sutton my only change.

Use CHN a little different and give him more minutes (starting back end of first half), similar to when Starling is brought on “against tiring defences”. I could live with that.

1. Xavier Savage
2. Nick Cotric
3. Matthew Timoko
4. Sebastian Kris
5. Albert Hopoate
6. Jack Wighton
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Zac Woolford
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliot Whitehead
13. Adam Elliot

14. Tom Starling
15. Emre Guler
16. Corey Harawira-Naera
17. Corey Horsburgh
That's the team. Whitehead will be picked. CHN to play the impact role again.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

I think theyll make the 8 - says the 8th on footyshow
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: July 24, 2022, 9:11 am The right side looked really good when CHN was on. He needs to start. I also liked the combination between him and Fogarty. A right side of Fogarty, CHN, Timoko and Cotric (although I think he and Rapana should swap) can be threatening
Hmm last time we played Rapana on the left he bombed 3 tries in a month trying to put the ball down with his right hand on corner finishes... all his finishing instincts are right wing.

There's a few ways to get CHN more time on the park, be it starting or sharing time with Whitehead. I do wonder which one Ricky will go with.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Rapana should never ever play on the left.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

BadnMean wrote: July 24, 2022, 11:55 am
Hong Kong Raider wrote: July 24, 2022, 9:11 am The right side looked really good when CHN was on. He needs to start. I also liked the combination between him and Fogarty. A right side of Fogarty, CHN, Timoko and Cotric (although I think he and Rapana should swap) can be threatening
Hmm last time we played Rapana on the left he bombed 3 tries in a month trying to put the ball down with his right hand on corner finishes... all his finishing instincts are right wing.

There's a few ways to get CHN more time on the park, be it starting or sharing time with Whitehead. I do wonder which one Ricky will go with.
But that's what I'm saying - he should play on the right and not left like against Melbourne Storm
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: July 24, 2022, 1:29 pm
BadnMean wrote: July 24, 2022, 11:55 am

But that's what I'm saying - he should play on the right and not left like against Melbourne Storm
Got it. :thumbsup
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

2022 Rd 20 V Titans: Teams and Previews

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Stats all folks: The piece of data that holds the key to NRL success

The most important factor in NRL games is limiting the opposition’s running metres, the statistical category most likely to decide whether a team wins or loses.

The Sun-Herald has conducted an analysis of the past six NRL seasons, assessing the reasons for the outcome of each contest. While coaches often talk at length about completions, possession and errors in their post-match press conferences, none of those indicators are among the top-10 pointers to success.

One basic, yet effective, coaching tactic that helps restrict opposition yardage is utilising a swarming defence, a key tactic employed by coach Ricky Stuart during his premiership season with the Roosters in 2002. However, few teams can consistently maintain the line speed required to execute the strategy successfully.

Given yardage plays such a big role in outcomes, having players capable of eating metres is of paramount importance. Joseph Tapine, Reagan Campbell-Gillard, Jason Taumalolo and Isaiah Papali’i are the most effective forwards in the game, having all run for more than 2500m so far this season.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/stats- ... 5b3yf.html

Interesting article. We are ranked 7th for average win rate between 2016-2022, and 6th for average opposition metres conceded.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Godspeed little doodle

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Raiders 30+
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

1. Savage
2. Cotric
3. Kris
4. Timoko
5. Hopoate
6. Wighton
7. Fogarty
8. Papalii
9. Woolford
10. Tapine
11. Young
12. CHN
13. Elliot

14. Starling
15. Whitehead
16. Sutton
17. Guler

18. Horsburgh (straight in for Guler If he’s fit)

Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Billy Walker wrote: July 23, 2022, 6:42 pm For the life of me I don’t understand why we wouldn’t keep picking Hoppa and Schiller. Neither Raps or Cotric are finding new heights in their game. Schiller and Hoppa could be very good.
I agree, these guys offer more, but isn’t Schiller leaving next season?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Kryptonite wrote:
Billy Walker wrote: July 23, 2022, 6:42 pm For the life of me I don’t understand why we wouldn’t keep picking Hoppa and Schiller. Neither Raps or Cotric are finding new heights in their game. Schiller and Hoppa could be very good.
The Raiders just re-signed Schiller for two years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Titans by 10

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Green Machine 2011 wrote: July 23, 2022, 5:24 pm Man Guler has surprised me. Not sure who goes out of he and Sutton when Horse is back, I’m leaning towards Sutton given he’s leaving (but is awesome in defence though). Tough pick.

Otherwise same team.

Ideally Whitehead plays reserves, but we know that won’t happen. Just give CHN more game time, although he really added spark so I’m okay with his 30-35 mins. I just think we’re hindering ourselves for the other 45-50
CHN looks like a beast... i think he has built up his arms, shoulders and pecs...

I have been thinking for sometime now he needs to be in the side. After reading many posts of Whitehead on here... I have also subscribed to the fact despite him wanting to contribute... it's clear his best days are behind him.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Not for this game, but I believe a plan for Savage to take a rest is needed. If we are to make the finals, he needs to be fully fit and have the energy come end of August early Sept.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Raiders666 wrote: July 24, 2022, 10:02 am I thought Papalii and Tapine were outstanding again yesterday... Is there a better 8 and 10 in the comp?
Tapine is the best front rower atm imo.
Not sure about Papalii anymore. I feel like he plays at 70% intensity to get minutes these days.
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

please dont put a back in the interchange
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Kryptonite wrote: July 24, 2022, 4:51 pm
Might be a tough argument that they offer more right here and now, but a reasonable argument about potential upside and likelihood to be future raider premiership players. We need to look to the future not the past.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Didn’t know where to put these random thoughts:

* Long kicking game has always been important in the NRL, but with the current rules, it’s absolutely crucial. Ditto kick defusal, reception and metres. So much more of the game is now in kick reception - not just due to the 6 again, but also removing the scrum from ball in touch means teams want the ball to stay in (as opposition moving play the ball to the middle is a huge advantage to them). Fogarty actually struggles a bit with a clearing kick - he kicks under the ball instead of through the ball. His kicks are good when we are around halfway and in the opposition half, and I have been really impressed with his short kicking game, but Jack should be the primary option when looking for territory.
* Fogarty’s halfback play when we hit the lead against the Warriors was some of the best I have seen from a Raiders half in recent years, and a textbook example of how to play from in front. Repeat set after repeat set tiring the opposition. We have lost plenty of games from that position, so it was nice to see some intelligent play to close out the game. Even if the Warriors did get possession in decent field position, they were gassed. I wasn’t a huge fan of his signing (didn’t think he was creative enough, didn’t like his constant mid field bombing and questioned his defence), but I have been pleasantly surprised in recent weeks. Happy for him.
* I mentioned it in the other thread, but Whitehead has to have limited minutes now. His body isn’t up to it anymore. In the Asi try, he knows what he needs to do, but doesn’t make it in time. He has defensively been beaten by players like Ponga before (who hasn’t), but when mediocre halves start beating you one on one, as a second rower, there are issues. CHN has his own issues defensively and with discipline, but the argument can no longer be made that Whitehead offers more stability, and particularly not for long minutes.
* Very happy Guler is back to some form, I think him and Horsburgh will be crucial off the bench in coming weeks. I would be dropping Sutton at this stage.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

The argument for CHN is overwhelming right now.

He certainly has defensive lapses, no doubt, and always has. But it’s the old Savage/CNK argument about what’s more important, attack or defence.

It is of absolutely no surprise to me how much better our right edge attack looks with Savage finally being able to fill the fullbacks role in sweep plays after 2 years of watching them stall with CNK, and with CHN there to bend the line, run good lines and have an offload in his kit.

Both of those players have defensive weaknesses, but we are 2-0 with them playing together, and our right edge is actually looking like creating something every time the ball gets to that edge.

Add Fog starting to find his feet, Timoko getting early enough ball to engage a man, and we shouldn’t be messing with that combo for the rest of the year.

But we all know Smelly will be named.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Same team that played in the 2nd half against the Warriors, none of the players from the 1st half

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

So that’s what, just fielding CHN?
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

A few people now suggesting moving Sutton and/or Elliott back to NSW Cup. That can't even be a thought until the season is absolutely dead. You pick your best team until then. I was all for Sutton rotting earlier this year but he's definitely in the best 4 props. Very good defender.

Whitehead is hard to watch atm. But oddly he probably has to be in the 17. You don't want to move Elliott out of the middle and there aren't any other edges. I think he should probably start and play 25 or so with CHN playing 50+ mins.

This is an odd one. Massive kudos to Albert Hopoate. He was absolutely fantastic. And from the reports CNK was ordinary in reserve grade. But if Schiller isn't back I would actually bring CNK in for Hopoate. Simply to provide cover for the banged up Savage. Not needed when Rapana is playing but I'd make that move for 1 game personally.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Probably not a bad call with CNK in a vacuum, having an ability to spell him on the wing for 5-10 minutes once or twice a game might help him game to game, but one thing i think is super important for Savage as we get to the end of the season is to actually play and play through the niggles. It's the only way he's going to condition himself to it, and it's what he needs leading into the next off season. I want him going into the off season fully understand the physical nature and toll the game takes week in and week out, and for him to continue to focus on his gym work with that in mind.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

We need to put 30 on the titans. For and against is going to be soooo critical for a top 8 spot.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Botman wrote: July 25, 2022, 10:48 am Probably not a bad call with CNK in a vacuum, having an ability to spell him on the wing for 5-10 minutes once or twice a game might help him game to game, but one thing i think is super important for Savage as we get to the end of the season is to actually play and play through the niggles. It's the only way he's going to condition himself to it, and it's what he needs leading into the next off season. I want him going into the off season fully understand the physical nature and toll the game takes week in and week out, and for him to continue to focus on his gym work with that in mind.
Everything points towards the club backing him as our long term 1. I personally think thats a good thing. He has huge upside. Needs to tidy up ball security but as a fan im ok to support a team with him developing in it.

I agree with you totally ... he needs to be conditioned. This is his first season as starting 1 week in week out.. typically players in their first season struggle and need a rest. He has had the byes... but reality is playing every week is a tough ask.

Lets see how the coaching staff manage this.
Bloody_Burnham
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Bloody_Burnham »

If we don't beat the Titans convincingly (8 losses on the trot for them) then we don't deserve to play finals footy. The only thing which could throw a spanner in the works is Holbrook being sacked and the Titans lifting for the new coach.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Botman wrote: July 25, 2022, 10:48 am Probably not a bad call with CNK in a vacuum, having an ability to spell him on the wing for 5-10 minutes once or twice a game might help him game to game, but one thing i think is super important for Savage as we get to the end of the season is to actually play and play through the niggles. It's the only way he's going to condition himself to it, and it's what he needs leading into the next off season. I want him going into the off season fully understand the physical nature and toll the game takes week in and week out, and for him to continue to focus on his gym work with that in mind.
Yes I agree with all of that. I just had that moment where I gulped last week thinking if he goes off we have Kris on the wing, CHN at centre and Cotric or Hoppa at 1. That would have been gross.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

benda wrote: July 25, 2022, 10:49 am We need to put 30 on the titans. For and against is going to be soooo critical for a top 8 spot.
If we go into the game with the same attitude we're going to get absolutely spanked.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

julian87 wrote: July 25, 2022, 10:43 am A few people now suggesting moving Sutton and/or Elliott back to NSW Cup. That can't even be a thought until the season is absolutely dead. You pick your best team until then. I was all for Sutton rotting earlier this year but he's definitely in the best 4 props. Very good defender.

Whitehead is hard to watch atm. But oddly he probably has to be in the 17. You don't want to move Elliott out of the middle and there aren't any other edges. I think he should probably start and play 25 or so with CHN playing 50+ mins.

This is an odd one. Massive kudos to Albert Hopoate. He was absolutely fantastic. And from the reports CNK was ordinary in reserve grade. But if Schiller isn't back I would actually bring CNK in for Hopoate. Simply to provide cover for the banged up Savage. Not needed when Rapana is playing but I'd make that move for 1 game personally.
Yeah, kudos to Hoppa. Just watched the replay. He was very good. He was very eager to take hit ups, with Starling having to basically push him and Savage out of the way from dummy half a few times. Caught everything that came his way with ease, including 4 consecutive short kick-offs/drop outs. Really good performance.