Canberra Raiders extend Ricky Stuart's contract to end 2025

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Re: Canberra Raiders extend Ricky Stuart's contract to end 2025

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Can anyone send me the link for the recruitment manager at the club?

Wouldn’t mind having a gig where I only need to eke out an above average performance every 3 or so years and get rewarded with lavish infinite contract extensions.

Then again I can’t satisfy the primary essential criterion of every advertised job of having had a board member change my nappies so maybe there is no point applying.
Up The Milk
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Glad we finally won a bidding war and commiserations to the Yass Magpies for missing out on his signature.
CRaid
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by CRaid »

Question wrote: July 19, 2022, 4:14 pm Outstanding news !!!. C yas in 2026.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk
That’s a promise yea. I can only hope.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Mickey_Raider wrote: Then again I can’t satisfy the primary essential criterion of every advertised job of having had a board member change my nappies so maybe there is no point applying.
There’s still time. Get to it.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

bonehead wrote:need a freshen up in the assistant space then.
I'd like to see Ennis re-contracted and possibly someone like John Cartwright or Trent Barrett, hard to tell what Carbone is doing at NSW cup level and I'm ok to let McFadden go.

What we desperately are lacking is someone to bring our gun juniors to 1st grade readiness, hopefully Hickman and a new assistant can do that.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Cartwright could be good.

We definitely need someone that can develop a bunch of kids and at the same time have the kahunas to tell Stuart when to pull the pin on some of his pet players. Not sure Barrett is that guy.

Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

A couple of questions for those critical of Stuart
1. Brad Arthur or Ricky Stuart - who has done better in their 9 years at their respective clubs? Consistent finals but have taken the back door exit each time.

2. 8 coaches across the last 16 years have won competitions. Bennett, Bellamy, Hasler, Robinson and Cleary are unavailable. All 5 you may argue are better coaches than Stuart. Would you take Flanagan, Green or Maguire ahead of Stuart? Other than the 5 great coaches over the last 16 years I'd suggest Stuart is the next best and as good as Canberra can attract.
CRaid
Gary Coyne

Post by CRaid »

I opened this thread thinking how much negativity can I bear in the space of a minute. Took one second for needle to spin100%, break the bar limiter, and its spinning like a top.
jimmy82
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

Bluesbrother wrote: July 19, 2022, 6:58 pm A couple of questions for those critical of Stuart
1. Brad Arthur or Ricky Stuart - who has done better in their 9 years at their respective clubs? Consistent finals but have taken the back door exit each time.

2. 8 coaches across the last 16 years have won competitions. Bennett, Bellamy, Hasler, Robinson and Cleary are unavailable. All 5 you may argue are better coaches than Stuart. Would you take Flanagan, Green or Maguire ahead of Stuart? Other than the 5 great coaches over the last 16 years I'd suggest Stuart is the next best and as good as Canberra can attract.
True to some degree, however there are coaches like Todd Payten, Cameron Ciraldo to name a few, that are fairly new and would be a better choice. I would say Flanagan is on par with Ricky.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Bluesbrother wrote: July 19, 2022, 6:58 pm A couple of questions for those critical of Stuart
I don’t think citing the coach of the only club who beats us in terms of premiership drought is as compelling as you think it is.
Up The Milk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The idea that we should just be happy with what we have because it could be worse ignores the other side of that... we're not obligated to hire a worse coach
We are allowed to have a rigerous coaching search conducted by competent people who understand what it takes to be a successful NRL HC, and go and hire that person

We can be better. It is what we should strive to do.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Mickey_Raider wrote: July 19, 2022, 7:10 pm
I don’t think citing the coach of the only club who beats us in terms of premiership drought is as compelling as you think it is.
I'm asking your thoughts on a coach who has had the exact same tenure. Who has done a better job?
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Coastalraider wrote: July 19, 2022, 5:09 pm It’s expected, but completely unnecessary at this point in time. Not on the market, stated he wouldn’t go anywhere else, and already contracted next year.

Any professional outfit would wait to see where we end up in 2022, how we recruit for 2023, and how we start next year before committing.
Incorrect. At this stage a professional outfit had to extend Stuart or cut him (or make clear the succession plan). You need to have a clear mid/long term coaching direction or it is more difficult to sign players.

The Storm are discovering that atm. As good as Bellamy is, him signing on 1 year at a time is hurting them. No other coach would get away with this
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

CRaid wrote:I opened this thread thinking how much negativity can I bear in the space of a minute. Took one second for needle to spin100%, break the bar limiter, and its spinning like a top.
It’s funny, I look on Facebook and see this news and 95% of the comments are all happy and positive.

But not this place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Bluesbrother wrote: July 19, 2022, 7:17 pm
I'm asking your thoughts on a coach who has had the exact same tenure. Who has done a better job?
It’s a good question
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Botman wrote: July 19, 2022, 7:13 pm The idea that we should just be happy with what we have because it could be worse ignores the other side of that... we're not obligated to hire a worse coach
We are allowed to have a rigerous coaching search conducted by competent people who understand what it takes to be a successful NRL HC, and go and hire that person

I just don't think there is anyone who can take the raiders higher. If a coach is an elite option coming through, say a Robinson. Why on earth would they come to the Raiders over other clubs with more money and greater pulling power?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Bluesbrother wrote: July 19, 2022, 7:27 pm
Botman wrote: July 19, 2022, 7:13 pm The idea that we should just be happy with what we have because it could be worse ignores the other side of that... we're not obligated to hire a worse coach

I just don't think there is anyone who can take the raiders higher. If a coach is an elite option coming through, say a Robinson. Why on earth would they come to the Raiders over other clubs with more money and greater pulling power?
If we keep extending a guy who cant get the job done i guess we'll never know
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Botman wrote: July 19, 2022, 7:30 pm

Well therein lies the question Botman, for you, what is 'the job'?
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Brew wrote:
CRaid wrote:I opened this thread thinking how much negativity can I bear in the space of a minute. Took one second for needle to spin100%, break the bar limiter, and its spinning like a top.
It’s funny, I look on Facebook and see this news and 95% of the comments are all happy and positive.

But not this place.

95% of Facebook twats are brain-dead.

This place is woke.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Bluesbrother wrote: July 19, 2022, 7:37 pm

To put a successful football on the park. It's really as simple as that.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I'm personally fine with this decision. As I've said previously, there are only a handful of coaches I'd put in front of him and none of them are coming to the raiders. We've been in this position before under Stuart and he has proven on more than one occasion that he will get it right eventually and we'll be contesting for premierships.
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

Brew wrote:

But not this place.

Blinded by their passion for the club they can only see the negatives. It’s such a shame really, being so emotionally reliant on the results of week to week footy can really take the joy from following the careers of our players and club.

It’s not all roses at raiders HQ, but the uninformed opinion and negative hyperbole has made this place worth avoiding. It comes from a good place, but sometimes you need to step away from the microscope and remember why you watch the footy every week.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

FROG wrote: July 19, 2022, 8:07 pm I'm personally fine with this decision. As I've said previously, there are only a handful of coaches I'd put in front of him and none of them are coming to the raiders. We've been in this position before under Stuart and he has proven on more than one occasion that he will get it right eventually and we'll be contesting for premierships.
What do you mean by “get it right eventually”

He had it right. He knows what’s successful and he’s gone away from that.

His team selections are just mind boggling and the use of the named 17 each has me numb.

You don’t go from GFs and prelims to missing the finals the way we have.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: July 19, 2022, 7:40 pm

I’ll just put this here……
Botman wrote: September 8, 2021, 1:50 pm
Billy Walker wrote: September 8, 2021, 12:44 pm If you google positive contribution you find a definition that involves one making a contribution to something to help make it successful.

Did I miss the club’s success that Croker has contributed to?
No, what you missed is that success isn't rigidly defined in sport, or any field as simply having to achieve highest goal. You don't just have one aim, one goal that you're looking to achieve.
It's such a dumb, narrow and rigid place to be that success in RL is defined only as having won a NRL premiership.
Colour me unsurprised this is come from you.

Success is the accomplishment of an aim or purpose, and yes the ultimate aim and purpose is a premiership but teams and athletes and organisations have many different aims and goals and purposes. A team's goals and aims can also differ depending on where they sit in a contender/rebuilding process. When Stuart first took this club over, it was in need of a rebuild, the goal and aims at the start of that process were different to what they were in 2019-20-21.

Jarrod Croker has had his share of failures, as has the club in his time.
But they've also had many great successes, in fact it has been the most successful period in Raiders football since the mid 90's, and Jarrod Croker has contributed to that success.
And the fact they may never have reached the highest peak of the mountain and achieved the top goal, does invalidate the other successes they've had along the way, no matter how many times some dumb **** on the internet says it does.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

God Botman is an idiot.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Decent turnout from the sanctimonious qbn mafia apologists tonight.

Probably the same lot who will be howling and calling Tapine a traitor when he leaves for a club with legimate professional bona fides and which places ambition and success above making sure all of the old boys have jobs.
Up The Milk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Azza wrote: July 19, 2022, 8:16 pm God Botman is an idiot.
Might get a gig in the QBN Mafia.
CRaid
Gary Coyne

Post by CRaid »

Question wrote: July 19, 2022, 7:37 pm 95% of Facebook twats are brain-dead.

And you’re not yea.

Your honour I present exhibit A to substantiate the hypocrisy of this hypocrite.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Excellent, you twat.

This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

I think Rick's drummed his whole family up here, it's outstanding viewing.

This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Carn 2026.

This place is woke.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

KingDynamite wrote: July 19, 2022, 8:10 pm
Brew wrote:

But not this place.

Blinded by their passion for the club they can only see the negatives. It’s such a shame really, being so emotionally reliant on the results of week to week footy can really take the joy from following the careers of our players and club.

It’s not all roses at raiders HQ, but the uninformed opinion and negative hyperbole has made this place worth avoiding. It comes from a good place, but sometimes you need to step away from the microscope and remember why you watch the footy every week.
I’d love to watch some footy every week.

Not 17 low-IQ players coached to play rubbish grind-ball, with no coherent attack, where we are flat out scoring 18 points in 80 minutes and regularly blow double digit leads.

That’s what our esteemed HC presides over
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

#itsjustluck, #17blokeshurtinginhere, #therefsfault.

This place is woke.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Question wrote: July 19, 2022, 8:36 pm Carn 2026.

By which time you will be saying carn 2029, because another extension will have been inked by then.
Up The Milk
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Botman wrote: July 19, 2022, 7:40 pm

In order to be a successful football team in the NRL you need elite players. I'd say Brad Arthur has been pretty successful with a handful of top 4 and top 8 finishes. But he still hasn't done better than Stuart in his 9 years at the helm regarding 'getting the job done'. Judge Stuart on his merits and consider the last 9 premiership winning teams on paper. I think you'll find the raiders on paper wouldn't hold a candle to those teams. The fact we have been in the mix with the squads we have had in the last decade has been a success.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Bluesbrother wrote: July 19, 2022, 7:17 pm
Well, I mean Eels are on track to have made the finals 5/9 v Raiders 3/9 since both tenures started.

Again, don’t think this is going down in reality the way it might be in your head.
Up The Milk