2022 State of Origin III: Maroons V Blues

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win?

Maroons 13+
17%
Maroons 1-12
50%
Blues 1-12
17%
Blues 13+
17%

Total votes: 6

President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Re: 2022 State of Origin III: Maroons V Blues

Post by President Clinton »

The Nickman wrote: July 15, 2022, 9:28 am
President Clinton wrote: July 14, 2022, 9:33 pm As someone from NSW, it’s really easy to not care when there isn’t one player in the side I like.

Could not give a hoot they lost. An awful loss for Fittler though and probably deserved based on some pretty ordinary selections.
As a Queenslander, we never don't care... and that's the difference
I'd hazard a guess you are also someone that cheers on Australia in the cricket despite them having players like Davey **** Warner in the side.

Why would I care that Clearly and Jerome lost in embarrassing fashion on a Wednesday evening, when I cant stand them Friday - Sunday?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote:
President Clinton wrote: July 14, 2022, 9:33 pm As someone from NSW, it’s really easy to not care when there isn’t one player in the side I like.

Could not give a hoot they lost. An awful loss for Fittler though and probably deserved based on some pretty ordinary selections.
What a load of Bull. Three years back you were kicking stones and not caring because NSW clearly had the better side and you blokes picked a turnip for a coach ... maybe two turnips. Before Qld had that run of dominance NSW won a paltry 3 series in a row and origin was declared dead by Queenslanders. This is the flaw in the series. If you blokes start losing you lose interest, pack up your **** boots and ball and go home sooking. The concept is only successful if Qld are successful.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
President Clinton
Dean Lance

President Clinton wrote: July 15, 2022, 11:22 am

I'd hazard a guess you are also someone that cheers on Australia in the cricket despite them having players like Davey **** Warner in the side.

Why would I care that Clearly and Jerome lost in embarrassing fashion on a Wednesday evening, when I cant stand them Friday - Sunday?
Also a QLDR that is on a Canberra Raiders forum :lol:

I bet you cant stand the Broncos because of their moronic Queenslander fans. Much like GE.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

President Clinton wrote: July 15, 2022, 11:22 am

Aaaaand, you're 100% wrong. Sorry about that.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote: July 15, 2022, 11:36 am
The Nickman wrote:

What a load of Bull. Three years back you were kicking stones and not caring because NSW clearly had the better side and you blokes picked a turnip for a coach ... maybe two turnips. Before Qld had that run of dominance NSW won a paltry 3 series in a row and origin was declared dead by Queenslanders. This is the flaw in the series. If you blokes start losing you lose interest, pack up your **** boots and ball and go home sooking. The concept is only successful if Qld are successful.
I mean... none of that actually happened, but lovely story you've invented for yourself there, gerg. Really top shelf levels of imagination.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

I mean... none of that actually happened, but lovely story you've invented for yourself there, gerg. Really top shelf levels of imagination.
My apologies, of course I can only go by your posting history, which is just a quick click away. I did give you a little too much credit though. I only have to go back to last year's origin series to see you disappear with your tail between your legs.

Origin 1 2021. You contributed to the thread up until the flogging started and then your only post game comment related to Green not being up to it.

Origin 2 2021. 350 posts in that thread. The number of posts from Nickman was zero.

Origin 3 2021. 276 posts in that thread. The number of posts from Nickman was zero.

Now old friend, let me know where I've got it wrong? Seems pretty clear to me - #fairweatheredfan. Image
President Clinton
Dean Lance

gergreg wrote: July 15, 2022, 12:36 pm
The Nickman wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

My apologies, of course I can only go by your posting history, which is just a quick click away. I did give you a little too much credit though. I only have to go back to last year's origin series to see you disappear with your tail between your legs.

Origin 1 2021. You contributed to the thread up until the flogging started and then your only post game comment related to Green not being up to it.

Origin 2 2021. 350 posts in that thread. The number of posts from Nickman was zero.

Origin 3 2021. 276 posts in that thread. The number of posts from Nickman was zero.

Now old friend, let me know where I've got it wrong? Seems pretty clear to me - #fairweatheredfan. Image
Not sure if it was in the origin thread or elsewhere, but I recall Nickman saying something to the tune of 'we will never win while Walters is coach.'

Seemed to be pretty out of line with the QLD SPIRIT / NEVER SAY DIE attitude of a Toad. Lack of faith and - dare I say it - lack of care for a year or two.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Hahaha boy you lads are clutching at some straws here. Walters WAS a bad coach and I said it all along, and I said Green would be a failure too and he was. I also predicted we'd win the year Bennett came back (which we did) and I was pretty confident this year with Slater back.

Does saying we have a bad coach mean I don't care if we lose? Absolutely not! I still rode those games just as hard and cared just as much with the results, I just knew we were up against it with substandard coaches... as NSW clearly is now.

Keep trying though boys, I'd take any small wins I could perceive for myself too if I were currently a salty NSW fan.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

What a glorious week it has been for rugby league and for Queensland. When Queensland is winning State of Origin, rugby league is winning. As they always say.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: July 15, 2022, 4:04 pm What a glorious week it has been for rugby league and for Queensland. When Queensland is winning State of Origin, rugby league is winning. As they always say.
The last few days really has been a wonderful experience, it's literally all anyone has talked about anywhere I've been.

I'm sure it's the same down there?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Stick it to em Nickman, don’t give an inch.

When are you coming to collect the wood ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

-PJ- wrote: July 15, 2022, 4:11 pm Stick it to em Nickman, don’t give an inch.

When are you coming to collect the wood ?
I'm relatively certain dubby should be coming around any day now with the wheelbarrow I lent him.
President Clinton
Dean Lance

The Nickman wrote: July 15, 2022, 3:57 pm Hahaha boy you lads are clutching at some straws here. Walters WAS a bad coach and I said it all along, and I said Green would be a failure too and he was. I also predicted we'd win the year Bennett came back (which we did) and I was pretty confident this year with Slater back.

Does saying we have a bad coach mean I don't care if we lose? Absolutely not! I still rode those games just as hard and cared just as much with the results, I just knew we were up against it with substandard coaches... as NSW clearly is now.

Keep trying though boys, I'd take any small wins I could perceive for myself too if I were currently a salty NSW fan.
Remind self - don’t argue with a Queenslander around origin time.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: July 15, 2022, 4:04 pm What a glorious week it has been for rugby league and for Queensland. When Queensland is winning State of Origin, rugby league is winning. As they always say.
It’s a close call about what is more enjoyable to watch - the QLD win or the NSW post loss salty meltdown.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Honest question - why is that? Even the Blues most successful coach Gus Gould regularly says that. Why is rugby league “winning” if QLD is winning, but not when NSW is winning?

Is it because QLD are fair weathered fans? Win 8 series in a row and everyone is still interested, lose 3 series in a row and “Origin is dead”?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
President Clinton
Dean Lance

Billy Walker wrote: July 16, 2022, 9:00 am
It’s a close call about what is more enjoyable to watch - the QLD win or the NSW post loss salty meltdown.
Thanks for that, Deadly Edlee.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Finchy wrote: July 16, 2022, 9:18 am
Honest question - why is that? Even the Blues most successful coach Gus Gould regularly says that. Why is rugby league “winning” if QLD is winning, but not when NSW is winning?

Is it because QLD are fair weathered fans? Win 8 series in a row and everyone is still interested, lose 3 series in a row and “Origin is dead”?
It is because Queensland is the pride of the code of rugby league.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

2022 State of Origin III: Maroons V Blues

Post by The Nickman »

Finchy wrote:

When did we lose 3 in a row?

Honestly I’ve only ever heard this line about “origin being dead” thrown out by you NSW blokes
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

People like to see Queensland winning, because New South Wales looks down on Queensland.

NSW act as if they are born with the right to rule. To control the code and set the rules, often to their advantage. They have an innate advantage of a larger population. For decade upon decade, they deemed that the NSWRL should have the advantage of controlling the numbers on the board of the ARL and the Chairmanship. That they should be able to play Queenslanders in Blue because their clubs had poker machine money to buy Queensland’s best.

Even after Origin was introduced, when Queensland twice won the series, because they were the Shield holders and it was one apiece and a draw, the NSWRL controlled ARL decided to change the rules, to call the series a draw. They even scratched the engraving out on the Shield.

They show a lack of respect to Queensland.

Over and over they think they just have to turn up to win. They did that this year.

That is why Origin means more to Queensland. Why the maroon jersey means more to Queensland.

Australians like seeing the underdog win. And that’s why people like to see Queensland win.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

It truly warms the heart to see Queenslanders bonding over a series victory. Great mates become even closer on these victorious occasions. It's lovely to see GE, Nickman and Billy Walker - 3 of the greatest Queenslanders on this site - celebrating together like the great mates they are, maybe with a few xxxx's we could see some pashun between the three of them; noting of course this is a PG rated site, but GE has been known to put his blinkers on around origin time.
President Clinton
Dean Lance

greeneyed wrote: July 16, 2022, 11:38 am

:lol:

What about when NSW romp stomped QLD by an aggregate score of 94 - 26 just last series?

Did Queensland decide to take take the year off being the Pride of the League?

It’s laughable how the people north of the boarder think there is something magical in their maroon jerseys. Interestingly only seems to be the years where they win the series.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

President Clinton wrote: July 16, 2022, 12:20 pm

What about when NSW romp stomped QLD by an aggregate score of 94 - 26 just last series?

It’s laughable how the people north of the boarder think there is something magical in their maroon jerseys. Interestingly only seems to be the years where they win the series.
Australians everywhere were sad last year.

And there certainly is something about the Maroon jersey. We've seen it over and over and over again. The number of times that NSW has been raging hot favourites and gone on to lose... you could see it on Wednesday night. Playing for the Maroon jerseys just meant more to the players.
President Clinton
Dean Lance

greeneyed wrote: July 16, 2022, 12:57 pm
President Clinton wrote: July 16, 2022, 12:20 pm

Australians everywhere were sad last year.

And there certainly is something about the Maroon jersey. We've seen it over and over and over again. The number of times that NSW has been raging hot favourites and gone on to lose... you could see it on Wednesday night. Playing for the Maroon jerseys just meant more to the players.
True.

Shame QLD didn’t have the passion or emotional resilience like NSW to lift the shield.

Good to see it returned this year though.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

President Clinton wrote:

NSW just don't get origin. Apparently origin, for those in the know (Queenslanders) is about disappearing off the face of the earth when they lose, and then a year or two later when they win again they come rushing back to tell NSW that they don't get it. That's origin baby.

If you lose origin before the third game, the dead rubber should be called off. That's origin baby.

Qld lose three consecutive series. "Origin is dead and should be replaced with Internationals". That's origin baby.

When one of the Qld players gets a touch up, every Queenslander on the face of the earth hates that bloke and wants to fight him to restore the Qld pride. Some even call it the most disgraceful or disrespectful act in the history of origin, some even suggest that criminal charges be laid. But when it's the other way around its considered a throwback to some of the classic origin encounters of the 80s and 90s. That's origin baby.

Don't listen to them PC.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

The Nickman wrote: July 16, 2022, 11:41 am
Finchy wrote:

Honestly I’ve only ever heard this line about “origin being dead” thrown out by you NSW blokes
2003, 2004, 2005.

Not sure who was actually quoted as saying "origin is dead" though. Maybe it's a myth?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Finchy wrote:
The Nickman wrote: July 16, 2022, 11:41 am
Finchy wrote:

2003, 2004, 2005.

Not sure who was actually quoted as saying "origin is dead" though. Maybe it's a myth?
It was definitely a thing. Wasn’t it one of those series where Fatty said it wasn’t worth doing the 3rd game because we already won the series?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jack Wighton should have been picked for Origin III: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart

Ricky Stuart is still struggling to come to grips with Jack Wighton’s controversial non-inclusion in the NSW Blues team for the Origin decider.

“Jack should have started or had (Siosifa) Talakai’s spot on the bench,” Stuart said. “Wednesday night was made for Jack Wighton. He thrives on that intensity and physicality. And I can guarantee one thing … if it was Jack, I know Dane Gagai wouldn’t be punching him in the head.”

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 7938e6f5d9
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

In latest news…

NSW has been installed as $1.60 favourites by the TAB for the 2023 State of Origin series.
Dr Greenthumb
David Grant
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Dr Greenthumb »

julian87 wrote: July 14, 2022, 3:53 pm
Dr Greenthumb wrote: July 14, 2022, 12:44 pm A week ago there was talk of Matt Burton being paid a million dollars a season next contract. His stats last night - 3 runs for 23 metres. Pretty bad considering origin hinges on yardage and relieving the forwards. If Wighton had dished up those stats, there’d be NSW supporters frothing at the mouth. I’m not saying Burton isn’t a gun player, but there are some ridiculous double standards for NSW players, particularly if you don’t come from the Penrith system. Ive barely heard any criticism of Burton after last night.
It's really not his job to make the hard yards it is the back 3's imo. But then he also has a useless five-eighth and has to cover for him as well.

I doubt he'll be playing for under 1mil a season when he re-negotiates.
No it’s not his job, but things were desperate and he didn’t step outside his comfort zone. I absolutely hate S Crichton, but he got in there and took some hard runs when the NSW forwards were completely exhausted. Play him at 5/8, not centre. Then he can stick to playing pretty.

Anyway, my point was more that Jack would have been bashed from pillar to post if he dished that up.