What's the deal with rental laws in the ACT?

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I'm being told that I can only increase rent by the CPI, or the tenant has all sorts of rights of appeal..? Is that for real?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: What's the deal with rental laws in the ACT?

Post by gerg »

Been a few years since I rented but I thought it was capped at around 10 - 12% per year?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

You're a monster, TR... don't you know that we HATE landlords in these parts?

You just wait until gangrenous sees this.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Looks like they changed a few years ago.

https://www.acat.act.gov.au/case-types/ ... -increases
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

It’s a good wicket for the ACT Government.

They can increase Rates and Land tax by 30% but the landlord can only increase rent by CPI, which usually runs around 3%.

Don’t let the Roosters hear about this approach, they’ll argue to limit the salary cap whilst buying more brown paper bags.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

What a seriously messed up system. So yeah, looks like CPI increases only.

I understand the need to protect tenants, but there are always negative impacts when you start imposing price controls on what is essentially a commercial agreement.

Not a huge deal, but I've been under market for ages, thought it was time to creep up a little and am told that I pretty much can't!

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Surely this rule only applies if your tenant isn't changing? Say your existing tenant moves out and you have to readvertise you can increase your rent as much as you want? Couldn't you?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gergreg wrote: July 8, 2022, 12:26 pm Surely this rule only applies if your tenant isn't changing? Say your existing tenant moves out and you have to readvertise you can increase your rent as much as you want? Couldn't you?
Yes, that's the case.

Which of course now incentivises landlords to kick the current guy out...in which case they are then off into the wild to pay full market rates, assuming that they can actually find something.

Not sure this kind of government intervention is necessarily in the best interests of tenants.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The Nickman wrote:You're a monster, TR... don't you know that we HATE landlords in these parts?

Resident communist reporting for duty.

Sounds like a tricky one to balance. On the one hand landlords generally have too much leverage in Australia. On the other, this rule in isolation incentivises changing tenants as T_R pointed out. Also incentivises the landlord to raise rents every year so as not to fall behind (unless you can raise based on CPI in prior years where there was no increase? Is that an option here?). So curious what else is in the framework to manage those sides.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gangrenous wrote: July 9, 2022, 11:13 am
The Nickman wrote:You're a monster, TR... don't you know that we HATE landlords in these parts?

Sounds like a tricky one to balance. On the one hand landlords generally have too much leverage in Australia. On the other, this rule in isolation incentivises changing tenants as T_R pointed out. Also incentivises the landlord to raise rents every year so as not to fall behind (unless you can raise based on CPI in prior years where there was no increase? Is that an option here?). So curious what else is in the framework to manage those sides.
Well, as it turns out the dumb **** refuses to pay ANY more rent, so is about to be shown the door. Which means that instead of a 5% increase, I'll whack it up 30% to return it to 'market value'.

People are dumb.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

T_R wrote: July 11, 2022, 11:10 am

Well, as it turns out the dumb **** refuses to pay ANY more rent, so is about to be shown the door. Which means that instead of a 5% increase, I'll whack it up 30% to return it to 'market value'.

People are dumb.
Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. Instead of accepting a rent increase below market value they are pushing themselves back onto the rental hunt where they will end up paying far more. Can't believe people only look at what's right in front of them and ingore wider implications to to their own detriment.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Sting the gronk for his bond, carpet stains etc etc.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

I’m down in Tassie at the moment and was chatting today to a guy from Hobart. Current rental vacant rate is 0.6%, and they have got to a point where some agents are holding rental auctions - ie turn up and compete with others for how much you are willing to pay in rent. Mental.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: July 11, 2022, 11:10 am

People are dumb.
He'll find himself on the rough end of that one, the rental market in canberra has been a brutal journey for quite a while!

the Botman family had a pretty big discussion recently around maybe dipping our toes into finding an investment property that could be a rental, but for a few reasons, including the ACT's tennet rights, we decided to just keep pumping the money into our investment portfolio instead. Proabably not the best decision in terms of ROI but at least we wont have to deal with being a landlord!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

In their defence I hear their landlord is known for not appreciating good poetry. That’s an oppressive way to live…
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gangrenous wrote: July 12, 2022, 9:16 pm In their defence I hear their landlord is known for not appreciating good poetry. That’s an oppressive way to live…
Shiki said it better than I....

Consider me
As one who loved poetry
And persimmons.