Final charge against Tom Starling dismissed

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Off
Laurie Daley

Re: Fresh charge laid in Canberra Raider Tom Starling’s alleged Terrigal brawl

Post by Off »

greeneyed wrote:
Billy Walker wrote: July 7, 2022, 4:50 pm So is it correct to say that in 3 years years Mr Starling has been charged with 3 separate incidents that occurred on 3 separate dates?

This is Curtis Scott territory in terms of charges.
No it’s not correct.
Clarity please.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Mickey_Raider wrote: July 7, 2022, 5:12 pm Cast your mind back to 9 April 2021.

We had gone 3-1 with our only loss coming against the Warriors after losing a handful of troops in-game.

We rocked up to what looked like a genuine heavyweight clash against the Panthers on a Friday night.

We got pumped and since that day pretty much everything has been an absolute disaster.
I would say we still should have won v Warriors. Wallaby's beat England with 14 men (one player was sent off before half time), two in game injuries, and the No. 10 (Cooper) injured during the warm up. And Rapana could have won it at the end but he's not a left winger. Who selected him there? I'm sick of excuses.

v Penrith - we could have been 12 nil up but for Croker missing an easy grounding for a try. He did the same v Canterbury recently.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed wrote: July 7, 2022, 4:27 pm There are two incidents. One at Shady Palms, one at Mumbo Jumbos involving a security guard. This latest story is the latter incident. The video that’s been released a while back was the Shady Palms incident.
For those asking for clarity.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Thanks amigo.

This place is woke.
Turbo_Raider
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Turbo_Raider »

greeneyed wrote: July 7, 2022, 4:27 pm There are two incidents. One at Shady Palms, one at Mumbo Jumbos involving a security guard. This latest story is the latter incident. The video that’s been released a while back was the Shady Palms incident.
He's asking for trouble hanging out at establishments with such ludicrous names....
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

I dont know the jury system in aus, as the only time ive been to court was a judge only but how does one threaten a potentional jurior when the whole process that i believe is meant to be secret till the final juriors are picked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Elcaptcroker wrote: July 9, 2022, 7:42 am I dont know the jury system in aus, as the only time ive been to court was a judge only but how does one threaten a potentional jurior when the whole process that i believe is meant to be secret till the final juriors are picked.

"Potential juror or witness".

One likelihood is that the bouncer(s) at the venue of the first incident are witnesses. Terrigal is basically a one block bar precinct and bouncers work at different places different nights. So if Tom is out in Terrigal there is a very high chance he and his group walk past said bouncer or into a bar that he is also at- and if anything is said, hey presto.

The other possibility is that since the same police arrested Tom and beat the **** out of him both times, it is possibly one of these fine fellows who is also a witness to the first event and allows them to layer charges on. Because hey, let's get him for assault officer AND intimidate witness (same officer), because we can.

Doesn't matter if the judge says that's silly and throws it out later, as we've seen with the Scott case, NSW police think that adding more to the charges later on changes the narrative a bit in their favour and is a great PR win- look, more charges, he must be a real piece of work. Most people just hear the headline.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

BadnMean wrote:
Elcaptcroker wrote: July 9, 2022, 7:42 am I dont know the jury system in aus, as the only time ive been to court was a judge only but how does one threaten a potentional jurior when the whole process that i believe is meant to be secret till the final juriors are picked.

"Potential juror or witness".

One likelihood is that the bouncer(s) at the venue of the first incident are witnesses. Terrigal is basically a one block bar precinct and bouncers work at different places different nights. So if Tom is out in Terrigal there is a very high chance he and his group walk past said bouncer or into a bar that he is also at- and if anything is said, hey presto.

The other possibility is that since the same police arrested Tom and beat the **** out of him both times, it is possibly one of these fine fellows who is also a witness to the first event and allows them to layer charges on. Because hey, let's get him for assault officer AND intimidate witness (same officer), because we can.

Doesn't matter if the judge says that's silly and throws it out later, as we've seen with the Scott case, NSW police think that adding more to the charges later on changes the narrative a bit in their favour and is a great PR win- look, more charges, he must be a real piece of work. Most people just hear the headline.
This really is going down the scott path, the police slapping a obscure charge that can be interpreted in so many ways hoping it would stick

Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Is this bloke an eshay brah.

This place is woke.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Botman wrote: July 7, 2022, 3:24 pm The ferocity in the attempt to make a charge stick here is really quite something
Unless the charge is a failure to pass from left to right then I don't like their chances.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 9, 2022, 10:03 am
Botman wrote: July 7, 2022, 3:24 pm The ferocity in the attempt to make a charge stick here is really quite something
Unless the charge is a failure to pass from left to right then I don't like their chances.
:lol:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Couldn't be bothered following this closely, but was the alleged intimidation before or after the police beat the living **** out of him?

Hate to break it to Tommy, but either way, nobody seemed to be particularly intimidated.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There are two incidents. He was beaten badly in the Shady Palms incident. That’s the awful video we’ve all now seen. The police alleged he “went for their gun” but that particular charge has been dropped as there’s no evidence to support it. This matter has been put off until December.

In the Mumbo Jumbos incident at Terrigal, he and his party were refused entry due to COVID limits. There seems to have been some sort of altercation with the security guard. The charge of intimidation seems to have something to do with that situation. That was the next off season, separate incident. But both at Gosford. Have to say, I’ve never before heard of anyone being charged with intimidation because of an argument with a bouncer…
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

**** him off

This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Eshay looking mofo.

This place is woke.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

greeneyed wrote:There are two incidents. He was beaten badly in the Shady Palms incident. That’s the awful video we’ve all now seen. The police alleged he “went for their gun” but that particular charge has been dropped as there’s no evidence to support it. This matter has been put off until December.

In the Mumbo Jumbos incident at Terrigal, he and his party were refused entry due to COVID limits. There seems to have been some sort of altercation with the security guard. The charge of intimidation seems to have something to do with that situation. That was the next off season, separate incident. But both at Gosford. Have to say, I’ve never before heard of anyone being charged with intimidation because of an argument with a bouncer…
Surely you can’t get get charged with intimidation, Starlings about my height and I had one special night when I had an ‘altercation’ with a bouncer and got charged for ‘not moving on from a licensed premises when asked’

Not my proudest night out as young bloke.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Hes hanging around eshay looking mofos(brothers,cousins hangers on)I'd kick the gronks out as soon as they rocked up to the door.

This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Actually the way these disrepectfull **** talk I'd do time.

This place is woke.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

greeneyed wrote: July 9, 2022, 7:58 pm Have to say, I’ve never before heard of anyone being charged with intimidation because of an argument with a bouncer…
Depends what he allegedly said during the alleged argument. If he just said “this is BS you should let us in”, it’s a simple licensing offence of an excluded person remaining in the vicinity of a licensed premises after refusal.

If he hypothetically said “hey tough ****, I’m gunna find out where you live and kick your head in, watch your back”, then clearly there’s an intimidation offence.

Never mind the fact Starling is 4 foot nothing. The prosecution doesn’t need to prove that the bouncer or anyone actually was intimidated, they have to prove Starling’s words or conduct were intended to make the person fear physical or mental harm.

So even if the bouncer gets in the witness box and says “I wasn’t scared/intimidated”, it’s clear that the (hypothetical) words were said with the intention of causing him to be scared/intimidated, whether successful or not.

It’s the same as the old “offensive language/behaviour in public place” offence. No one needs to actually be offended or even be present. It’s if a “person of reasonable firmness” were to be present, would they be offended?

I have no doubt the additional charges are a load up, similar to the Curtis Scott ones to try to save face, but end up backfiring.

If they had statements or audio capturing any alleged “intimidating threats”, the charges would have been laid at the time or shortly after. Sounds like they’re clutching at straws to make something stick to justify whatever actions they took.

It’ll be interesting to see if anything succeeds. Regardless, he’ll get a huge pay out based on the punching footage alone (in my opinion).
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

the NSW Police continue to be the Raiders best and most consistent TPA supplier
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

We need a no DH policy. I have no sympathy for any player that gets themselves into a situation like this. The court proceedings will be what they will be, but innocent, guilty or 4 foot tall the bloke has been a distraction and twice managed to put himself in a situation that reflects poorly on the club. I’d say a red and blue knights jumper would suit him well at this point!
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote:There are two incidents. He was beaten badly in the Shady Palms incident. That’s the awful video we’ve all now seen. The police alleged he “went for their gun” but that particular charge has been dropped as there’s no evidence to support it. This matter has been put off until December.

Thanks.

Seems like Starling may have to pull his head in a bit, but the whole thing sounds a little ridiculous.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

He certainly seems to have a bit of little man syndrome and his family seem to get mouthy very quickly.

I’d be laying low in Canberra until he matures a bit more.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Is it Ted Stirling or Todd Starling?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

You are the biggest dill on this forum !
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

Would this be why he was relegated to playing in NSW cup yesterday??
Perth Based Raiders Fan
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

PerthRaider86 wrote: July 10, 2022, 4:04 pm Would this be why he was relegated to playing in NSW cup yesterday??
No, primarily he needs more game time, hopefully the run will help build some confidence. In addition, Adrian Trevilyan was out, we understand with COVID.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raider Tom Starling and brother enter not guilty pleas over alleged Terrigal brawl

Canberra Raiders hooker Tom Starling has entered a plea of not guilty to a charge of threaten/cause injury to potential juror/witness. Tom is also facing charges of stalk or intimidate intending to cause fear of physical or mental harm and behaving in offensive manner in or near public place or school.

However they are yet to enter pleas to the remainder of their charges over the alleged incident outside Mumbo Jumbo’s in Terrigal on October 16 2021. The matter was adjourned to September 15.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newsl ... e990089449
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Sounds like mumbo jumbo to me!
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Billy Walker wrote: July 30, 2022, 10:46 am Sounds like mumbo jumbo to me!
Lol
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

NRL Canberra Raiders star Tom Starling and brothers enter pleas in court over Terrigal brawl

Canberra Raiders hooker Tom Starling and his brother Josh have both pleaded guilty to intimidation over a brawl outside a popular cocktail bar in Terrigal.

The Avoca Beach brothers are facing charges over an alleged brawl outside the rooftop cocktail bar Mumbo Jumbos on October 16 2021. The brothers’ legal representative entered a plea of guilty to a charge of stalk/intimidate intend fear physical harm for both Tom and Josh Starling. Tom, who is based in Canberra, had charges of threaten/cause injury to potential juror/witness and behave in offensive manner in/near public place withdrawn.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newsl ... 666936b065

https://au.news.yahoo.com/canberra-hook ... 48926.html
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Interesting. Obviously some sort of plea deal sorted out behind the scenes between his legal reps and the prosecution.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The charge which they've pleaded guilty to comes with a sentencing on 19 December. Tom's partner escaped a conviction for a similar charge earlier. The Shady Palms case is also going to be heard in December.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I hope they bar him from the Central Coast this off season
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Dr Zaius wrote: October 20, 2022, 4:27 pm I hope they bar him from the Central Coast this off season
So does the central coast I suspect