38%

Total votes: 13

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: 2022 Rd 16 V Dragons: Teams and Previews

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:
kiwi raider wrote: June 21, 2022, 11:42 am
Crusader wrote: June 21, 2022, 10:44 am Love Starling but easily his worst year on and off field
Has his court case actually finished up yet?
Still another day in court coming up Thursday I understand.
Baffling that the DPP are still pushing ahead with this, instead of focusing on the payout he will receive.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Rick wrote: June 21, 2022, 12:48 pm I think the pace of last years game just made him look way better than what he actually is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i thought he looked his best in 2020, he and Havili at hooker most of the year and we reached a prelim
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Why Canberra Raiders forward Joe Tapine could be the best prop in the NRL

If someone asked you to list the best props in the NRL, how long would it take to name Joe Tapine? Because the New Zealand front-rower is making a convincing case to be right on top of the list. Tapine has more post-contact metres than any other player in the competition. He sits fifth in the offload rankings and has cleared 200 running metres in four consecutive games.

Read more: https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/ ... e=rss_feed

Joe Tapine says he wants to one day captain his club and country

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart suggested on Sunday Joe Tapine could play a leadership role for his nation.

“It’s one of my goals, to captain my country and the club,” Tapine said. “I’ve let Stick (Stuart) know it’s one of my my goals; I aim for big goals. I’ve been working on (leadership) in the last couple of years, but it’s kind of starting to show a bit more now. I’m happy everyone is seeing what I’m working at.”

Read more: https://canberraweekly.com.au/canberra- ... nga-clash/

Joe Tapine tops the Hard Earned Index: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/06/21/ric ... ned-index/
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Awesome to hear that from Joe. Let's back him.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

kiwi raider wrote: June 21, 2022, 1:45 pm
Rick wrote: June 21, 2022, 12:48 pm I think the pace of last years game just made him look way better than what he actually is.

i thought he looked his best in 2020, he and Havili at hooker most of the year and we reached a prelim
Havili goes down as our most underrated player of the last few years for mine. Really good player in either role.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Y dont we go back to the game where Woodford made his debut on the bench… we won that one… he’s better then starling against tired defenders n just better decisions in the 2nd half…..80 mins from Woolford will be good but we don’t want him getting burnt out….. I’d go starling start n then woolford on
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Ilanraiders wrote: June 21, 2022, 11:41 pm Y dont we go back to the game where Woodford made his debut on the bench… we won that one… he’s better then starling against tired defenders n just better decisions in the 2nd half…..80 mins from Woolford will be good but we don’t want him getting burnt out….. I’d go starling start n then woolford on
Woolford started that game and has ever since.

Has Woolford ever left the field with us behind on the scoreboard?
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

julian87 wrote: June 21, 2022, 7:25 pm
kiwi raider wrote: June 21, 2022, 1:45 pm

Havili goes down as our most underrated player of the last few years for mine. Really good player in either role.
Havili was a good utility. He's doing well for Souths this year.

I do think the decision not to match bigger offers was correct though. We needed a more mobile type lock and got Elliot at a cheaper deal. Then found a better backup hooker in Woolford.

At the time, they way the game and form was trending made it clear Hodgo/Starling would be our combo going forward.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

2022 Rd 16 V Dragons: Teams and Previews

Post by Rick »

Ilanraiders wrote:Y dont we go back to the game where Woodford made his debut on the bench… we won that one… he’s better then starling against tired defenders n just better decisions in the 2nd half…..80 mins from Woolford will be good but we don’t want him getting burnt out….. I’d go starling start n then woolford on
9- Woolford
13- Elliot
14- CHN

Elliot starts as hooker for the first 20 -25 mins with CHN at lock before Woolford comes on.
Last edited by Rick on June 22, 2022, 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Ilanraiders wrote: June 21, 2022, 11:41 pm Y dont we go back to the game where Woodford made his debut on the bench… we won that one… he’s better then starling against tired defenders n just better decisions in the 2nd half…..80 mins from Woolford will be good but we don’t want him getting burnt out….. I’d go starling start n then woolford on
It's honestly mystifying to me why we don't use our impact hooker like... an impact hooker?

Meaning Starling comes on for 10-15 mins each side of halftime- when fatigue is present and we need a little boost of energy ourselves. Then Woolford comes back on when we need some composure to ice out a game or more calmly pursue to chase down a lead (instead of Benny Hill trying to score every ruck).

It would seem to be elementary coaching/using the tools at your disposal 101 and get the best out of both players strengths.

Instead we make Starling look useless- he's not, he is just being misused- and deny Woolford the chance to be out there more often, offering better service, control and direction (his best talents, when we would find them most effective).

Rocky Stuart instead insists on being too clever by half with his dummy half use.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Starlings talent is to use his pace for a fast dash at the line. Someone seems to have told him to stop and pass the footy. It is confusing him. I hope he goes back to taking on the line and hopefully coming out the other side when he runs at a tired forward, rather than the stutter steps and looking for support while running in circles.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

If you told me at the start of the years Tarps would be the best prop in the NRL I would have struggled to believe you. Geez he has been good. I’d love to know what has been the difference. Did Rick push the right buttons, did he just find a happy place in life? Whatever it is - long May it last!
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

President Clinton wrote: June 22, 2022, 5:24 am

You know what woild be interesting to see.. where would sitting ladder if first halfs were just considered? I presume we woild be in the top 8.

Im really hoping Woolford becomes an 80 minute player. He could be a top 9 in the comp.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

BadnMean wrote: June 22, 2022, 10:31 am
It's honestly mystifying to me why we don't use our impact hooker like... an impact hooker?

Meaning Starling comes on for 10-15 mins each side of halftime- when fatigue is present and we need a little boost of energy ourselves. Then Woolford comes back on when we need some composure to ice out a game or more calmly pursue to chase down a lead (instead of Benny Hill trying to score every ruck).

It would seem to be elementary coaching/using the tools at your disposal 101 and get the best out of both players strengths.

Instead we make Starling look useless- he's not, he is just being misused- and deny Woolford the chance to be out there more often, offering better service, control and direction (his best talents, when we would find them most effective).

Rocky Stuart instead insists on being too clever by half with his dummy half use.
The problem with Starling isnt his ability and skill. Like you are suggesting he is not used properly.

Maybe its the time he comes on.. but what i think the core issue is that it looks like he does what he does with zero cohesion with other players. Im mystified.. he looks lost out there. Its as though he is a late ring in.

I put it down to coaching.. specifically our attacking strategy. Put Starling in the storm, roosters or Penrith system and he'd be a weapon.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

President Clinton wrote: June 22, 2022, 5:24 am

Yeah I was going to say I was sure Woolford debuted in the starting side, didnt recall him coming off the bench
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Think he was named on the bench but ended up starting
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

benda wrote: June 23, 2022, 1:42 am

The problem with Starling isnt his ability and skill. Like you are suggesting he is not used properly.

Maybe its the time he comes on.. but what i think the core issue is that it looks like he does what he does with zero cohesion with other players. Im mystified.. he looks lost out there. Its as though he is a late ring in.

I put it down to coaching.. specifically our attacking strategy. Put Starling in the storm, roosters or Penrith system and he'd be a weapon.
I think that ties in with what @Redraider said- he often runs to the line now and then spins looking for a pass (or ends up curving sideways etc). He should be looking to burst straight through. And if he gets caught, so be it. Cook is a running hooker but when he runs, it's with intent to slice right through.

He's also better at bringing the runner with him off his hip for the short one etc.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

BadnMean wrote:

Unfortunately Tom Starling has made Tom Starling look useless.

Every time he has come on the last few games our structure has completely gone out the window.

It's not good enough to be a dynamic runner of the ball in that position if the other 12 players around you look confused and disorganised.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

I'm as keen on a Ricky-Stuart-bench-use-bash as the next guy, but I'm not sure I agree here.

The problem isn't fundamentally when Starling's on the field, it's that he's playing awful. His service has never been great but has declined, and most importantly his decision making is way off - he's unsure of when to run and when to pass and is often doing a combination of the two, holding the ball too long and completely suffocating our attack. He needs to get the "impact player"/"create chaos" mantra out of his head and work on being a better player, starting with the basics of the position - crisp service to his forwards and halves.

This is somewhat similar to the Whitehead thread. We shouldn't be making tactical or positional changes to accommodate players who are out of form. Both should be named in NSW Cup, IMO.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Billy Walker wrote: June 22, 2022, 11:14 pm If you told me at the start of the years Tarps would be the best prop in the NRL I would have struggled to believe you. Geez he has been good. I’d love to know what has been the difference. Did Rick push the right buttons, did he just find a happy place in life? Whatever it is - long May it last!
finally putting in at the gym, maybe?
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

twistedbydesign wrote: June 23, 2022, 11:44 pm

I'm as keen on a Ricky-Stuart-bench-use-bash as the next guy, but I'm not sure I agree here.

The problem isn't fundamentally when Starling's on the field, it's that he's playing awful. His service has never been great but has declined, and most importantly his decision making is way off - he's unsure of when to run and when to pass and is often doing a combination of the two, holding the ball too long and completely suffocating our attack. He needs to get the "impact player"/"create chaos" mantra out of his head and work on being a better player, starting with the basics of the position - crisp service to his forwards and halves.

This is somewhat similar to the Whitehead thread. We shouldn't be making tactical or positional changes to accommodate players who are out of form. Both should be named in NSW Cup, IMO.
with the completely monkeypuzzle spine we have been playing, possibly it's hard for him to know just who is in charge out there and what he should be doing. I reckon he's been ordinary , but who the hell has he been getting instructions yelled at from? He's no Robbie Farah who (thinks he can) run a team from dummy half...
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

And Starling gave the "create chaos" quote literally in response to a question about what Ricky's instructions were when he comes onto the field. I think by the time you want a player to forget the instructions he is getting from the coach, then yes, coaching has come into it.
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

BadnMean wrote: June 24, 2022, 12:50 am

And Starling gave the "create chaos" quote literally in response to a question about what Ricky's instructions were when he comes onto the field. I think by the time you want a player to forget the instructions he is getting from the coach, then yes, coaching has come into it.
Sure. That Starling has been poorly coached is a distinct possibility, he joins a long list of spine players who haven't developed under Ricky as I'm sure you're aware. But I don't think that the time he's being brought onto the park is fundamentally the issue, and 80 minutes in NSW Cup is IMO a better remedy than a slight variation on his role in first grade.
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Lui_Bon wrote: June 24, 2022, 12:06 am

with the completely monkeypuzzle spine we have been playing, possibly it's hard for him to know just who is in charge out there and what he should be doing. I reckon he's been ordinary , but who the hell has he been getting instructions yelled at from? He's no Robbie Farah who (thinks he can) run a team from dummy half...
Yeah, it can't make things easy. BUT Starling has been our most consistent spine member for the last two years (or very close to) and doesn't seem to have developed over that period. And a rookie has had more cohesion with the rest of the team since literally the first time he touched the footy in first grade, so there has to be more to it than this.

I'm not anti-Starling, there's plenty in his game to work with. But he's had an extended run of poor form and needs a spell in reserves for mine.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Really pleasing to see those sort of comments from Tapine.

I’d be tempted to throw him the (C) very soon. Particularly with Whitehead declining at a rate of knots.

I firmly believe that, whilst your captain doesn’t need to be the best player on the team, they simply can’t be a liability.

I feel that subconsciously it is damaging to the morale of the team if your captain isn’t able to lead by example with performance.

See some of poor Crokers performances last year as an example.
Up The Milk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dragons to sweat on young half after stray knee in Tongan loss

St George Illawarra Dragons young gun Talatau Amone will have to pass through concussion protocols if he is to join his teammates after the NRL's representative round next Sunday against the Canberra Raiders.

Amone, who played for Tonga in Auckland on Saturday afternoon during an eventual losing effort to the New Zealand Kiwis, copped a stray knee in a tackle just 14 minutes from fulltime.

Read more: https://www.zerotackle.com/dragons-to-s ... ss-119421/
Green Machine 2011
Simon Woolford

Post by Green Machine 2011 »

greeneyed wrote: June 21, 2022, 6:45 pm Joe Tapine says he wants to one day captain his club and country

“It’s one of my goals, to captain my country and the club,” Tapine said. “I’ve let Stick (Stuart) know it’s one of my my goals
With Tapine’s comments, form and the fact he’s off contract next year, coupled with Whitehead’s form and general inability to play for the full 80… I’m convinced NOW is the time to make Joey co captain, and move Whitehead to the bench
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Green Machine 2011 wrote: June 26, 2022, 11:23 am With Tapine’s comments, form and the fact he’s off contract next year, coupled with Whitehead’s form and general inability to play for the full 80… I’m convinced NOW is the time to make Joey co captain, and move Whitehead to the bench
I agree.

Joe captain and Jack steps in for the periods when Joe goes off. Two players universally respected, hard for refs to just dismiss and likely to be able to fill the role for a few years.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders forward Corey Horsburgh keen for taste of Origin

Firebrand prop Corey Horsburgh is willing to answer the call if Billy Slater needs him for State of Origin, insisting he's "been ready for years" to represent Queensland.

"I've been ready for years," he said. "I love watching (Origin) and if I ever got the opportunity to play, I'm sure I'd take it with both hands ... when it happens, it happens."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

https://canberraweekly.com.au/corey-hor ... gin-taste/

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

who the heck is that?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Looks like JJ Clarkson.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

In regards to Starling I dont think we will see him at his best again till next season.

I don't think you can ignore the pressure/stress/distraction his court cases must be having and how its impacting on his game.
Vaccinated
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

2022 Rd 16 NRL teams: Raiders V Dragons

Canberra Raiders V St George Illawarra Dragons
Sunday 3 July, 4:05pm
Wollongong Stadium
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Nine, Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3, 2CC

The Canberra Raiders have named their team for the round 16 match against the St George-Illawarra Dragons at Wollongong on Sunday afternoon.

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad has been named to make his return from a hamstring injury. He replaces James Schiller on the bench, after Schiller was ruled out for 2-3 weeks with a shoulder injury sustained in round 15.

Jack Wighton has been named to return this week at five-eighth after missing the round 15 match against the Knights due to COVID protocols and replaces Matt Frawley in the starting team.

Josh Papalii, Joe Tapine and Jordan Rapana will all back up following the weekend’s representative fixtures.

Canberra Raiders media

VIDEO: Team lists: Raiders v Dragons: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/06/28/dragons-v-raiders/

Canberra Raiders

1. Xavier Savage
2. Nick Cotric
3. Matthew Timoko
4. Sebastian Kris
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Zac Woolford
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Adam Elliott

14. Tom Starling
15. Ryan Sutton
16. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
17. Corey Horsburgh

18. Matt Frawley
19. Corey Harawira-Naera
20. Trey Mooney
21. Semi Valemei
22. Adrian Trevilyan

Injury/Suspension

James Schiller, Shoulder (Rd 18-19)
Jarrod Croker, Shoulder (Season)
Harley Smith-Shields, Knee (Season)
Josh Hodgson, Knee (Season)

St George Illawarra Dragons

1. Cody Ramsey
2. Mathew Feagai
3. Moses Suli
4. Zac Lomax
5. Mikaele Ravalawa
6. Talatau Amone
7. Ben Hunt
8. Jack de Belin
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Blake Lawrie
11. Jack Bird
12. Jaydn Su'A
13. Tariq Sims

14. Moses Mbye
15. Francis Molo
16. Aaron Woods
17. Michael Molo

18. Josh Kerr
19. Tautau Mogo
20. Jayden Sullivan
21. Jaiyden Hunt
22. Billy Burns

Injury/Suspension

Josh McGuire, Groin (Indefinite)

Officials

Referee: Peter Gough
Touch judges: Jon Stone, Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski
Video referee: Grant Atkins

NRL teams: Click here
NSW Cup teams: Click here
Jersey Flegg teams: Click here

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #NRLDragonsRaiders
The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2022 #FromAllAngles

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
The Greenhouse score update service
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I'd like to see either Mooney get a run, or for Schneider to play 7 with Trevilyan at 14 so they can get some time together in first grade. I know Ricky is wary of having too many rookies in the squad at once but our young centres have now played plenty of first grade and it's only really our fullback who is still very raw/unpolished as a first grader. Mooney at least should get a shot soon and probably at the expense of Whitehead... he can't be keeping out a rookie with tremendous potential in his current form. We've got enough older/experienced heads in Rapana, Papalii, Wighton, Tapine, Fogarty, Sutton and Elliott that we wouldn't be at a loss in any way by discluding Whitehead from the 17.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Still not nailing the bench eh ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock: