Ricky Stuart says he’ll never again coach against the Canberra Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart has shut down media speculation of a possible move to a premiership rival.

“I have no interest in coaching anywhere else,” he said. “I started at the Raiders as a player and I’ll finish here as a coach. There are some important people at this club I’ll be speaking to first. We’ll have a chat and take it from there. There’s only one thing I’m certain of and that is that I’ll never again coach against the Raiders. I just don’t want to do it.”

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 7f8a4b41c8

Ricky Stuart says he will never coach against Raiders: https://www.zerotackle.com/ricky-stuart ... rs-119436/

Ricky responds to media links to Tigers and Bulldogs jobs: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... e039ae6edf
Off
Laurie Daley

Re: Ricky Stuart says he’ll never again coach against the Canberra Raiders

Post by Off »

Take it Rick.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

And ill wager the board feel the same way.
The next time we have a new HC will be when Stuart decides he no longer wishes to coach NRL footy, which at 55 years old, could honestly be a decade plus.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The story says discussions with Raiders Group CEO Simon Hawkins and Raiders CEO Don Furner will take place soon, at an appropriate time, he’s never gone into a season with only a year left on his contact (currently expires end 2023).
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Well he definitely need a contract extension based on the performance of the team this and last year, and it looks like the only way up from here.

Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

It’s like Christmas Day

Best News Ever!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
deanoman
Brett Mullins

Post by deanoman »

Ricky is the best coach we have had in decades. I for one hope he stays around until he retires/wins a premiership.

Anyone who doesn't rate him is kidding themselves. There was a time we had Matt Elliot as our head and he brought in a pack a day smoker 2nd rower to play 5/8 and that was one of his better moves.

We have arguably had the best recruitment since the 90s and made a GF while he was in charge. He's done good
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I'm predicting Thread of the year, by landslide.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Raider_Boy
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Pappa

Post by Raider_Boy »

My understanding is the bulldogs made a pretty big play for stick after Barrett was sacked. He knocked Gould back.
Member #6381
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Raider_Boy wrote: June 25, 2022, 9:37 pm My understanding is the bulldogs made a pretty big play for stick after Barrett was sacked. He knocked Gould back.
That... would surprise me.
Raider_Boy
Peter Jackson

Post by Raider_Boy »

It shocked me too. But that’s the word
Member #6381
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Raider_Boy wrote: June 25, 2022, 9:49 pm It shocked me too. But that’s the word
They've work together before, their egos couldnt co-exist to the point where they were openly fueding for years, before finally burying the hatchet! It would be wild to think Gould would want to sign up for that again.
But I guess by this point in my life i should stop getting surprised by the wildly dumb **** that goes on in sport sometimes.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

What do you expect from a club that resigned Croker for 4 years with multiple options in his favour and Whitehead for 3 years on $500,000 plus while being reserve grade standard ? There were queues of clubs after those players so we had to do it.

Ricky's tracking for another 10th place finish so deserves 3 plus years on top for his mediocre performance and for losing the most half time leads. Fans are happy with 3 finals appearances out of 8 (not including this year) and for making the GF. The attack hasn't improved from that GF when we couldn't even score against 12 men.

So what if he's sounded out by a Bulldogs director. Let him go. This is a guy that couldn't even win when he was the coach of Australia with the best players - yet he had to blame it on a referee for losing against NZ.

This club is unprofessional. Ricky is a fraud and the CEO is incompetent.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

It was reported on NRL 360 a board member of the Bulldogs reached out to Sticky to gauge interest on him coming over but he said I’m a Raider now.

Wouldn’t say a big play but they were keen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

deanoman wrote: June 25, 2022, 8:42 pm Ricky is the best coach we have had in decades. I for one hope he stays around until he retires/wins a premiership.

Anyone who doesn't rate him is kidding themselves. There was a time we had Matt Elliot as our head and he brought in a pack a day smoker 2nd rower to play 5/8 and that was one of his better moves.

We have arguably had the best recruitment since the 90s and made a GF while he was in charge. He's done good
Is the best coach we've had in decades much of a compliment?
And does it mean we cant do better?

Forget whether he is the best coach WE have had. That's not particularly relevant. Is he a good coach? And not good compared to our previous coaches. Is he good compared to his peers around the NRL?

Where does he rank as an NRL HC right now?
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Ricky's at a place, on good money, where he doesn't have to meet basic KPIs like finals appearances, no one here challenges what he does, no questions are asked.

Why would he go somewhere like the Bulldogs working with someone as ruthless and egotistical like Phil Gould with a revolving board elected every 2 years ?
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

He's laughing with this gig...even the fans are hoodwinked.

This place is woke.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The club, should it extend Ricky Stuart's contract, which I expect they will, should also be considering the transition to the next coach at the same time. Where do they see the club heading? What sort of club do they want to be building? Cameron Ciraldo has turned down the Tigers and it doesn't look like the Bulldogs are going down that path, at least not yet. I wonder if he is the sort of coach that could be attracted to the club as the next coach in waiting? Or he is he just waiting to take over from Ivan Cleary at Penrith? What about Slater or Smith (if they're not already tied to the Storm)? Out of all of the potential future head coaches, Slater is probably the best prospect.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Botman wrote: June 25, 2022, 10:19 pm
deanoman wrote: June 25, 2022, 8:42 pm Ricky is the best coach we have had in decades. I for one hope he stays around until he retires/wins a premiership.

Forget whether he is the best coach WE have had. That's not particularly relevant. Is he a good coach? And not good compared to our previous coaches. Is he good compared to his peers around the NRL?

Let's have a look:

Walters
Potter (interim)
Fitzgibbon
Holbrook
Hasler
Bellamy
O'Brien
Brown
Payten
Arthur
Cleary
Demetriou
Griffin
Robinson
Kimmorley (interim)

In all honesty, I'm hard pressed to name anyone else above him other than Hasler, Bellamy, Cleary, and Robinson. Half the coaches there have done nothing. Even someone like Brad Arthur - does he even have it in him to make the Eels true contenders?

It probably speaks to the lack of real high quality coaches in the game more than anything.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

There are coaches that we could approach that could make the difference - Cronk, Cameron Smith, Slater. Just listen when they speak about the game. Smith would make an excellent coach.

I'm unsure of Ciraldo but he would be able to attract some Penrith talent. Woolf I'm also unsure of.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: June 25, 2022, 10:27 pm

Let's have a look:

Walters
Potter (interim)
Fitzgibbon
Holbrook
Hasler
Bellamy
O'Brien
Brown
Payten
Arthur
Cleary
Demetriou
Griffin
Robinson
Kimmorley (interim)

In all honesty, I'm hard pressed to name anyone else above him other than Hasler, Bellamy, Cleary, and Robinson. Half the coaches there have done nothing. Even someone like Brad Arthur - does he even have it in him to make the Eels true contenders?

It probably speaks to the lack of real high quality coaches in the game more than anything.
Yeah it's hard to argue with that post. A couple of dudes on that list that are very much trending in the right direction. But who knows where they'll end up.

But the last line seems spot on. The league isnt doing a good job of identifying good coaches right now, and i dont for one second believe they're not out there.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Woolf just turned down the Warriors: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 937802647d

But I wouldn't be chasing him...

Here's the story about Ciraldo turning down the Tigers: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 44873d7d77
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: June 25, 2022, 10:39 pm
afgtnk wrote: June 25, 2022, 10:27 pm

Let's have a look:

Walters
Potter (interim)
Fitzgibbon
Holbrook
Hasler
Bellamy
O'Brien
Brown
Payten
Arthur
Cleary
Demetriou
Griffin
Robinson
Kimmorley (interim)

Yeah it's hard to argue with that post. A couple of dudes on that list that are very much trending in the right direction. But who knows where they'll end up.

But the last line seems spot on. The league isnt doing a good job of identifying good coaches right now, and i dont for one second believe they're not out there.
Todd Payten is one.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

He and Fitzgibbon were the two that struck me as really good coaches not named by askakka that i might take over Stuart at this point
But it's very early for both
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: June 25, 2022, 10:45 pm He and Fitzgibbon were the two that struck me as really good coaches not named by askakka that i might take over Stuart at this point
Fitzgibbon perhaps. I think Payten has shown with both the Warriors and Cowboys... and in lower grades, that he can run a team. He is defying my rule: never appoint a former forward as a head coach.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Tim sheens went alright.

This place is woke.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Question wrote: June 25, 2022, 10:54 pm Tim sheens went alright.

Phil Gould as well
Raider_Boy
Peter Jackson

Post by Raider_Boy »

Payton would be awesome. Robinson…. Dunno if he can run anything outside the sombrero
Member #6381
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

In about eight years' time it will be Sam Williams... said it before and I stand by it.

I'm not saying it makes any sense.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: June 25, 2022, 10:57 pm

Phil Gould as well
Jack Gibson also.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: June 25, 2022, 11:11 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: June 25, 2022, 10:57 pm

Phil Gould as well
Jack Gibson also.
I didn't say it was a perfect rule. I would argue that Gould was actually a playmaker... some forwards were back in the day.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Out of the former NRL coaches, it looks like the West Tigers, Warriors and Bulldogs are moving in a different direction at this stage to appointing Paul Green and Flanagan (both premiership winners in the last 10 years when the Storm/Roosters/Penrith didn't win). Maguire a maybe for Warriors and Canterbury. So too John Morris.

I wouldn't consider those candidates, or Fittler.

From outside of Cronk/Smith/Slater, I would consider someone like Geoff Toovey. Higher win rate than Ricky. Took Manly to a PF in 2012, GF in 2013, 2nd on the table in 2014 (knocked out 2nd week), and sacked after finishing 9th in 2015.

I have high hopes for our roster in the coming years. We are only one good halfback from having a very good side. If we had Chad Townsend in our team this year (and I'm not a fan of his), we make the 8. But it's the right coach to take us forward that will make the difference. I also think the players need a different voice after 9 years, 10 after 2023.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Botman wrote: June 25, 2022, 10:45 pm He and Fitzgibbon were the two that struck me as really good coaches not named by askakka that i might take over Stuart at this point
Way too early for them, as you've said.

Stuart has proven that he can come in and completely overhaul a squad to become genuine contenders, and then rejuvenate to contend again. That automatically puts you above at least 50% of his rivals, who consistently struggle and fail in similar situations.

The downsides we know of, and they're extensive. He's not a bad coach, but he's not a great one either.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Usually the club waits for a Ricky “bull market” to re-sign him.

Will be interesting to see the reaction if Rocky guides us to our fourth 10th place finish in 6 years; next year starts looking mediocre too; but he is offered a new contract.

To be sure, I have no doubt they will continue on their merry way and just re-sign him for “stability”, but it would really illustrative of the utter acceptance of mediocrity and the weird co-dependency the club forms with coaches.
Up The Milk
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

greeneyed wrote: June 25, 2022, 7:43 pm The story says discussions with Raiders Group CEO Simon Hawkins and Raiders CEO Don Furner will take place soon, at an appropriate time, he’s never gone into a season with only a year left on his contact (currently expires end 2023).
Haha. Says it all about Raidera HQ and their early extension mantra for the boys. At least you can pay your way out of a bad deal in the coaching world.