All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Raiders reportedly interested in Hull FC fullback Jake Connor

Post by BadnMean »

Which leaves...

#6 or 7: hoping he can play without the space a FB gets and in the face of NRL defences. Might make sense if we didn't play split halves and he was more of a genuine second receiver.

#1: where he can clearly ballplay and we'd benefit from a Hynes style ball-playing FB. (Latrell plays this way but has an enormous running game/threat too)

The former means ditching either Fog- can't say we'd lose an awful lot, although Fog kicked nicely last week imo. And we'd have stuck Jack with another non organising half again.
Or keep Fog and push Jack to lock. Jack would be good anywhere you put him. But at his best, Jack can be a true gamebreaker. Can he be that at lock? Not sure, just thinking out loud at this stage.

Putting Connor at #1 means shifting Savage to wing and playing Connor where he looks best, with the best chance for success. You need a bit more than passing to succeed at #1 in NRL. Aekins could pass but lacked the athleticism. Does Connor have the speed and step to keep defences from swarming him or just sitting on his runners? Not sure.

So we send Savage to the wing. Sure he can learn a bit about FG footy there but if I am uncle Wayne at the Dolphins I am on the phone and setting up meetings ASAP. You do need to weigh up what you want from Savage/risk of losing him. The club should be able to sell Savage on a development year or two at wing but with managers and Dolphins potentially offering starting FB money...

Is 27 year old SL fullback Connor going to come in and deliver results faster/better than building around Savage? Big risk. But he'd be the best passer we've had around the joint since Hodgo.

Sometimes Ricky seems to just get guys in and then worry about where he's going to play them later - Bateman and Turner he seemed to have no clear idea set early on.

It would be one of Ricky's biggest calls if he did it. Haven't heard much smoke on this lately. I kind of don't think this is happening, but I wouldn't be too surprised if it's Tigers, Dogs, Knights or other NRL clubs bringing him over though.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Daniel wrote:It's worth pointing out that Hull FC released Josh Reynolds during the week, so Tex Hoy (who also plays five-eighth) would most likely be viewed as the replacement for him.

I tend to agree with SteRed that this is a non-story. If Connor was a realistic chance of switching to the NRL, the Super League reporters and commentators would be all over it because he's one of their biggest stars, but there's been very little mention of this story in England.
Seems more like it.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

We still appear to be linked to him. I cannot help but think that this is a done deal particularly with the recent news that CNK is leaving us.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/hull-fc- ... 55644/amp/
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

SteRed wrote: June 20, 2022, 4:13 am New member here but I put this on the Green Machine podcast page when it came out about the interest in Connor. I’m Hull FC member and Canberra fan (most Brits have a NRL team).

Think it’s a nothing story. He recently became a father and is really close to his family as he lost his dad as a child so no chance he leaves them. He didn’t even move from the area he grew up in instead he commutes to Hull.

Talent wise he is ridiculous though, is far and away the most naturally gifted player in SL. The best player I’ve ever seen at in a 3 on 2 situation.
Thanks for your input, Mrs Connor... hopefully your boy feels the desire to leave the nest and head down under someday, but if not, best of luck with everything.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

FROG wrote: July 7, 2022, 3:43 pm We still appear to be linked to him. I cannot help but think that this is a done deal particularly with the recent news that CNK is leaving us.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/hull-fc- ... 55644/amp/
That site's a complete joke and just recycling the same story.

However, Hull FC have taken Jack Walker on loan from Leeds for the rest of the year. It feels like they're searching for a replacement for Connor.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Listen, if this comes off I’ll be happy, guy has some skills.

But - it seems like the 3rd time we are requesting a predominantly left sided 6 to play right sided 7… Sezer, Williams and now Connor. I’d be looking for the best natural 7 in the uk, and throwing the book at him.