The Television Thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

Azza
Ricky Stuart

Re: The Television Thread

Post by Azza »

Sid wrote: June 15, 2022, 7:21 am Interesting, I was going to watch The Wire at the start of this year, had heard good things about it but never watched an episode. Only thing that put me off is that I didn’t think the TV series would hold up today being 2 decades old, but it sounds like it does.
The Wire is like modern day Shakespeare. Brilliant. Subtitles can help at times :lol:

The ending to Season 4 I think in particular was jaw droppingly good.
BJ
Gary Belcher

Post by BJ »

I really liked the original UK version Life on Mars TV series. Great original concept and some brilliant characters.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Botman wrote:latest Kenobi ep took a tough turn for me
A lot of story and character arc choices that i dont think made a ton of sense.
Like?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Dr Zaius wrote: June 16, 2022, 4:01 pm
Like?
Basically everything the third sister did :lol:
I dont think her being all in on this to get at Vader makes much if any sense given her actions and proximity to him in other eps
And then Kenobi telling her they can take Vader down together but taking off leaving her on her own when he would know full well she doesnt stand a chance.
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Botman wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: June 16, 2022, 4:01 pm
Like?
Basically everything the third sister did Image
I dont think her being all in on this to get at Vader makes much if any sense given her actions and proximity to him in other eps
And then Kenobi telling her they can take Vader down together but taking off leaving her on her own when he would know full well she doesnt stand a chance.
I dunno, I thought that it kind of made sense, except that the fact in her role she has killed jedis and innocent people. Kenobi simply used her as a means of escape and had no intention of her killing vader.

I don't get what she is now. Is she good, is she bad, is she a bit of both? What are her intentions for Luke? Bait for Vader? Revenge for Kenobi?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Exactly. It’s all just at any and all means possible including hunting down and killing Jedi just so she can get at Vader for hunting down and killing Jedi?
That doesn’t make sense imo

I don’t think doing that to the third sister makes sense given where Kenobi is at. To hear her story, her pain, and to leverage that and sacrifice her life for an escape? Na I don’t buy that from Kenobi either given he’s the whole series to date has been built around him building towards being willing to live up to the Jedi code and his nature after starting the series suppressing it
Maybe ep 1-2 kenobi might do it, but I’ve felt he’s progressed as a character beyond that sort of choice at this point

Maybe it will all make a lot more sense when we see the finale, definitely open to that, but as of right now, I’ve found her arc to be pretty poorly written and confusing. The rest of the show absolutely **** rules though haha

Vader showboating on her by not even drawing his sabre was incredible
EXEC quote_post

GO;
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Botman wrote:Vader showboating on her by not even drawing his sabre was incredible
The man can dance
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Botman wrote: June 12, 2022, 8:43 pm I quite enjoyed Moon Knight in the moment, like the show itself was IMO, well written and a good self contained story and i liked how the handled a lot of it... but i agree it's fairly meh/forgettable once you're out of it. Hawke and Issac were fantastic in it, the scenes with those guys just talking were electric.

But it didnt progress anything in the universe and maybe not every story has to be about that, and maybe that'll be the way Marvel balances the fatigue factor with content demand, by making some of this stuff not essential to the overall arc of the story, so you dont HAVE to watch everything (i think Ms Marvel is heading this route too, even though i quite liked that first ep too)

But yeah, i wanted more
Ms. Marvel will be appearing in the "The Marvels" film, so her story will definitely impact the MCU.

2 episodes in and I think the show is pretty much perfect.

They capture the spirit of the character (as a first-time actress her performance is quite remarkable) from the comics well, and they've taken the opportunity of "normalising" Western Muslim culture and made it appealing without hitting us over the head with it.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah i've really enjoyed the first few eps. Really fun light hearted show so far
EXEC quote_post

GO;
RedRaider
Ricky Stuart

Post by RedRaider »

Dr Zaius wrote: June 16, 2022, 5:55 pm
Botman wrote:Vader showboating on her by not even drawing his sabre was incredible
The man can dance
Very dark film technology in the final episode of Obi Wan Kenobi. Made it hard to see at times. Third sister memories of being a youngling with the Jedi, means she is fighting the good within her and not always succeeding. She could eliminate Jedi but not Luke as a child. Obi Wan had another chance to eliminate Vader and again did not. He still sees him as Anakin. Obi Wan seemed to have a lot of power in the battle with Vader. Maybe got a boost from his old master, Qui-Gon. I can't wait for the next series.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

RedRaider wrote: June 22, 2022, 10:45 pm
Dr Zaius wrote: June 16, 2022, 5:55 pm
The man can dance
Very dark film technology in the final episode of Obi Wan Kenobi. Made it hard to see at times. Third sister memories of being a youngling with the Jedi, means she is fighting the good within her and not always succeeding. She could eliminate Jedi but not Luke as a child. Obi Wan had another chance to eliminate Vader and again did not. He still sees him as Anakin. Obi Wan seemed to have a lot of power in the battle with Vader. Maybe got a boost from his old master, Qui-Gon. I can't wait for the next series.
I didn't think it was that dark? Maybe you need to adjust your tv settings or get a better tv.

He did still see him as Anakin but doesn't now. That was pretty clear.

Obi Wan's power was him at full "force". Not sure he needed a boost.

Next series? Nothing announced as yet and to be frank I'd prefer they didn't. It was nice to revisit these characters but they should leave it at that.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The show i want to see is called "Vader"

Basically its a 6 part show were Vader is told a budding rebellion is building in some part of the galaxy, he goes to that system and planet by planet, rooting out the leaders and their bases, and dismantles it. Kills anyone who gets in his way, torturing rebels to get information. The final ep, Vader has this pocket of resistance cornered and he's coming in for the kill, they're trying to escape, some random jedi who survived 66 emerges last minute to save the day and buy them enough time to escape, similar to ep 5 in this run...

Except, he gets absolutely waffle stomped by Vader, and these rebels are snuffed out.

The show's ends as Vader is informed of another budding rebellion somewhere else and he casually sets a course. Just another day at the damn office.
Here's the problem with my show, it has no protagonist, no stakes and no pay off.
No good guys wins and no day is saved. So i doubt it's ever made... but that's the show i most want to watch :lol:
EXEC quote_post

GO;
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Regarding Kenobi

I do think we'll see another season, and i really want to
I loved this series, if i ignore the Reva stuff, it was pretty much perfect. The Reva stuff i think could have been much better but i like her as a character and would love to see a prequel of her rising up from the gutter to her position as inquisitor

I've been talking to Nickman half the morning about it and he's pointed out some of the truly next level brilliant things Dave Filoni did in this that no only keep the canon from A New Hope clean but actually sort of enhanced it.
EXEC quote_post

GO;