Canberra Raiders named for Test matches

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Canberra Raiders named for Test matches

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders Joseph Tapine and Jordan Rapana named in New Zealand Kiwis squad

New Zealand coach Michael Maguire has named a 25-man wider squad to travel home to Aotearoa to face their Pacific rivals at Mt Smart Stadium on June 25.

“I know how much the black and white jersey means to these players,” said coach Michael Maguire.

“To finally return home after two years and play for your country in front of fans and whānau, this Test will be special.

“This squad has an exciting mix of fresh talent and experienced Kiwis having some of their best seasons. We have a strong spine of leaders throughout the group that play a crucial role in the team, especially with these new boys coming through.

"With the quality of Kiwi talent on display throughout the NRL, we are in a strong place as we look to build a solid foundation ahead of the Rugby League World Cup come October.”

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/06/15/bro ... nson-axed/

New Zealand Kiwis

Nelson Asofa-Solomona (Storm)
Jesse Bromwich (Storm)
Kenneath Bromwich (Storm)
Dylan Brown (Eels)
Erin Clark (Titans)
James Fisher-Harris (Panthers)
Kieran Foran (Sea Eagles)
Peta Hiku (Cowboys)
Jahrome Hughes (Storm)
Moses Leota (Panthers)
Isaac Liu (Titans)
Joseph Manu (Roosters)
Te Maire Martin (Broncos)
Ken Maumalo (Wests Tigers)
Ronaldo Mulitalo (Sharks)
Griffin Neame (Cowboys)
Briton Nikora (Sharks)
Marata Niukore (Eels)
Isaiah Papali’i (Eels)
Jordan Rapana (Raiders)
Jordan Riki (Broncos)
Brandon Smith (Storm)
Scott Sorensen (Panthers)
Joseph Tapine (Raiders)
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (Warriors)
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Re: Tapine and Rapana named in New Zealand Kiwis squad

Post by kiwi raider »

Fairly strong team but no doubt 4/5 palyers will be ruled out "injured" by clubs
at full strength its probably something like this 1-17

1. Te Maire Martin
2. Ronaldo Mulitalo/Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
3. Joseph Manu
4. Peta Hiku
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Dylan Brown
7. Jahrome Hughes
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Brandon Smith
10. James Fisher-Harris
11. Kenneath Bromwich
12. Isaiah Papali’i
13. Joseph Tapine

14. Kieran Foran
15. Marata Niukore
16. Moses Leota
17. Nelson Asofa-Solomona
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders' Joe Tapine has chance to stake claim as world's best prop: New Zealand coach Michael Maguire

Canberra Raiders prop Joe Tapine has the chance to stake his claim as the best front rower in the world. He was named in the New Zealand squad, with the Kiwis set to play Tonga at Mt Smart on June 25.

"He's got an opportunity now. It's good to have the international game back," Maguire said when asked if Tapine could prove to be the best in the world. "It's a special game for Joey. It's going to be a good opportunity to make a claim for his spot on the team."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

He(Taps)will be named skipper for sure..right ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

June 25? I thought the Warriors were due back in NZ in July? Strong squad and a pretty decent forward pack.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Semi Valemei named for Fiji

Sydney Roosters back Kevin Naiqama will again captain Fiji Bati in the upcoming Pacific Test against Papua New Guinea, with Penrith Panthers strike forward Viliame Kikau to act as his deputy.

The pair are among 15 NRL players in a 30-man squad named for the June 25 Test at Sydney's Campbelltown Stadium, which will headline a double-header also featuring Samoa and the Cook Islands.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/06/11/nai ... ific-test/

Fiji Bati: Tui Kamikamica (Melbourne Storm), Vuate Karawalevu (Sydney Roosters), Viliame Kikau (Penrith Panthers), Issac Lumelume (Canterbury Bulldogs), Iosefo Masi (NQ Cowboys), Taane Milne (South Sydney Rabbitohs), Laitia Moceidreke (NQ Cowboys), Kevin Naiqama (Sydney Roosters), Mikaele Ravalawa (St George Illawarra Dragons), Taniela Sadrugu (NQ Cowboys), Maika Sivo (Parramatta Eels), Penioni Tagituimua (Canterbury Bulldogs), Sunia Turuva (Penrith Panthers), Semi Valemei (Canberra Raiders), Brandon Wakeham (Canterbury Bulldogs), Mesake Kurititoga (Nadera Panthers), Lamar Liolevave (Tweed Seagulls), Netane Masima (West Magpies), Keylen Miller (Mounties), Tikiko Noke (Parkes Spacemen), Waqasaqa Qiolevu (Yasawa Saints), Nasoki Ralulu (Bomballa Blue Heelers), Joseva Rasiga (Parkes Spacemen), Joseph Ratu (Tweed Seagulls), Ethan Robinson, Pio Seci (Avignon), Pio Sokobalavu (Mounties) Maika Tudravu (Sarina Crocs), Marika Turagaiviu (USP Raiders), Ratu Inoke Vasuturaga (Kinoya Eagles).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders named for Test matches

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders' Joe Tapine ready for 'mean match-up' against Tonga, as 'emotional' family reunion nears

Joe Tapine is set to be reunited with family he hasn't seen in years, when he heads to New Zealand for the Kiwis' Test match against Tonga.

"I've been waiting for this for a while and going back to New Zealand, seeing my sister and my dad - it's going to be huge," Tapine said. "I can't wait to see them. I haven't seen them in about three or four years, so it's going to be emotional, but it's going to be good to play in front of them."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Tapine buzzing for epic New Zealand clash

A sea of Tongan red will meet Joe Tapine when he represents New Zealand this weekend but the Canberra Raiders star could hardly be happier about it.

"The atmosphere is ridiculous, and even though they're in red, you get signs like 'We love Tonga but go Kiwis', so they're not bad supporters."

Read more: https://canberraweekly.com.au/canberra- ... nga-clash/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Great to read in those stories that one of Tapine's goals is to goals is to captain his country and the club, and that he's let Ricky Stuart know that is one of his goals.

I think he'd relish the captaincy and it would just lift him even more.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

That's really interesting. I had said a week or so ago that i wasnt sure club captaincy was something Tapine would be interested in. Didnt strike me as the type. Clearly taking a big ol L on that one!

If he wants that responsibility and is willing to take it on, he should have it.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Make it happen. I think Wighton would be a great captain too. Maybe co-captains. There's a clear pathway out of Whitehead here if you want it, Stick...
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Earlier this year I said I thought Tapine would be a poor choice for captain.

I’m still not sure on the media, talking to refs, and strategy side of things. But I’m being force fed my words on the leading by example, effort, discipline and just general form. Interested to see if he continues to step up into the captaincy void.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I've been saying we needed a new captain since last year. I was very impressed with Tapine's leadership in the All Stars game where he was MOTM. I think he would inspire those around him, esp. the forward pack. The younger forwards would look up to him (don't know about his work rate in the gym though as I heard he's just naturally strong !). We also want him to sign a new contract.

As a player, he's the best forward in the game at present.
The Green Hornet
Simon Woolford

Post by The Green Hornet »

* the best forward to have ever played the game.

Fixed.