Raiders player signing speculation 2022

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2022

Post by Crash Ball »

I think moving Jack makes sense if it's to bring in a good enough player. Moving him to play Frawley I am not so sure on.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

PerthRaider86 wrote: June 19, 2022, 9:33 am
Botman wrote: June 16, 2022, 7:23 pm Nathan Brown had his moments but i dont know that im super interested. At the right price it might be worth a dart throw.
But i think we're doing OK in the middle forwards. What we desperately need is the modern day lock
Should be 13. Wighton

But people get so hooked on 'oh but he won the dally M at six'

I personally think he would be like an Isiah Yeo or Cam Murray type of lock with some kicking ability
I don't think people are hooked on that. I think people tale that into consideration coupled with the fact he's had to play his entire 6 career with numpties at halfback and a fullback that can't pass.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

Crash Ball wrote: June 19, 2022, 10:05 am I think moving Jack makes sense if it's to bring in a good enough player. Moving him to play Frawley I am not so sure on.
Yes I agree. We would need to bring in a good number 6
Perth Based Raiders Fan
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

For me it’s simply down to this
Whatever you think of Wighton and where his best position lays, there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that’s he’s our best half right now

Until such time as we have not 1 but 2 better halves than him, moving our best half to a position that isn’t as important to accomodate a player not as good as him in the more important position… well let’s just say I don’t think that’s a path to improving our footy team

If I woke up tomorrow in an alternate reality and the club had somehow signed Munster and Schnieder was having a Sam Walker level rookie year then I’d be very open about moving Wighton. Until then though, it’s just not viable imo
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Wait, we're signing Munster?! :woot:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Northern Raider wrote: June 19, 2022, 12:22 pm Wait, we're signing Munster?! :woot:
Yes, in an alternate universe.
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

Botman wrote: June 16, 2022, 7:23 pm Nathan Brown had his moments but i dont know that im super interested. At the right price it might be worth a dart throw.
But i think we're doing OK in the middle forwards. What we desperately need is the modern day lock
Should be 13. Wighton

I personally think he would be like an Isiah Yeo or Cam Murray type of lock with some kicking ability
100%, i don't understand why people can't see how good a move this would be for us and jack
raider 4 life
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

nemesis wrote: June 19, 2022, 9:00 pm
Should be 13. Wighton

100%, i don't understand why people can't see how good a move this would be for us and jack
Because what good is Jack being Isiah Yeo when instead of Nathan Cleary and Jarome Luai we have Brad Schnieder/Matt Frawley/Jamal Fogarty?

Wighton could be the BEST lock forward in the world and he'd be completely wasting his time distributing to those guys in the halves.
What Yeo does is help push their elite play makers a little bit wider of the ruck and lets them work with more space and time... what good is that when you're shuffling the ball on to players who cant play make?
Yeo helps his halves, no question about that, but their abilities as play makers is what makes his role so important. The halves make him, not the other way around.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I'd assume Yeo isn't earning 900k per season either?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Tyrone Peachy looks like he’s after a new club again, can anyone believe the Tigers are paying him $750k? No wonder he signed with them.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Jesus Christ. I still like him. But 750k wowee. I'd take him on 300. He's the style of player the current squad lacks. That's astonishing that money though.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

CHRIST! hahahah
How do the tigers keep doing this... they had Mybe on 750k as well. Wild ****
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I think it was 750k over two years

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

T_R wrote: June 20, 2022, 7:38 pm I think it was 750k over two years

Yeah surely someone has misquoted it. If it is 750 over 2 that's a cut price player that would be good for Canberra to target imo.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

T_R wrote: June 20, 2022, 7:38 pm I think it was 750k over two years

It was.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Well that's something! At this point i'd believe anything with the tigers and salaries though :lol:
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

I’m not too sure, the article just stated $750k deal so sound like a total as opposed to yearly. The $750k figure probably gets more clicks, if the Tigers are looking at tipping in that’s not a lot of cap space for a decent player.

Ricky’s new project? He needs one every year.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Northern Raider wrote: June 19, 2022, 12:22 pm Wait, we're signing Munster?! :woot:
Brooks might be getting axed by the tigers so.... you know... we could already have Munster at home.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I've been critical of the club's recruitment and retention but we dodged a bullet in not signing both Peachey and Matt Dufty. I was wrong about Adam Elliott who has been one of our best since the Warriors game - the key was the pricing which gave us all upside and little downside risk.

When you think about it, it's always the same clubs going for a particular player that no other good club wants

Hetherington - us, Wests Tigers, Newcastle
Elliott - us and Newcastle
Peachey - from memory it was only us and Wests

Ryan James chose us over Roosters as we gave him a two year deal, Roosters were right in only offering 1 year after his ACL. Now we are paying Broncos money for the additional year.

I think Peachey can be an X factor in similar vein to when Blake Austin joined us. Another point in attack at 13. We would not want to pay more than $200,000 next year with Wests chipping in the rest.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I'd love to sign peach. Incredibly skilful player who can slot into a number of positions that we are weak on
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

FROG wrote:I'd love to sign peach. Incredibly skilful player who can slot into a number of positions that we are weak on
Caryannis on SEN said no nrl clubs interested and Peachey's form warrants that

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Peachey has been getting by on a reputation from 5 years ago. Hard to think of anything special he's done since then. Constantly talked up as an X factor when he's on the field yet he doesn't deliver.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Postman Pat wrote: June 20, 2022, 8:52 pm I’m not too sure, the article just stated $750k deal so sound like a total as opposed to yearly. The $750k figure probably gets more clicks, if the Tigers are looking at tipping in that’s not a lot of cap space for a decent player.

$750k would be one of the highest paid locks in the game. Tarps is on $750k.

Peachy was casting around for a club to join. $350/$400k per year sounds about right- he was coming off a decent season but no one was pretending he was Cam Murray.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Northern Raider wrote: June 21, 2022, 8:18 am Peachey has been getting by on a reputation from 5 years ago. Hard to think of anything special he's done since then. Constantly talked up as an X factor when he's on the field yet he doesn't deliver.
Hmm when you say Peachy was going rubbish, even last year in 2021 he had 5 tries, 12 forced drop outs (handy skillful lock) and was averaging more metres per game than Adam Elliot is this year, same tackling % at about 92% effective and broke tackles at the same rate... so if Adam Elliot is going ok then Peachy was reasonably productive.

Not a stellar player but there was a period in peak Vlandy'sball when it looked like the game was turning towards his style and size of lock. Things have slowed a tad since then.

Can see why a club took a 300k punt on him based on that. Might have been a role for him as bench lock/utility half if his form held up and the game stayed quicker.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

BadnMean wrote:
Postman Pat wrote: June 20, 2022, 8:52 pm I’m not too sure, the article just stated $750k deal so sound like a total as opposed to yearly. The $750k figure probably gets more clicks, if the Tigers are looking at tipping in that’s not a lot of cap space for a decent player.

$750k would be one of the highest paid locks in the game. Tarps is on $750k.

Peachy was casting around for a club to join. $350/$400k per year sounds about right- he was coming off a decent season but no one was pretending he was Cam Murray.
Caryannis clarification was 750k over 2yrs

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I didn’t think Raiders were paying freight on Ryan James. Has there been any news reports claiming we were?

Ben Ikin said on radio that they were simply taking on his contract for 2022, but I’m not sure if there’s been separate reports.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

BadnMean wrote: June 21, 2022, 8:58 am
Northern Raider wrote: June 21, 2022, 8:18 am Peachey has been getting by on a reputation from 5 years ago. Hard to think of anything special he's done since then. Constantly talked up as an X factor when he's on the field yet he doesn't deliver.
Hmm when you say Peachy was going rubbish, even last year in 2021 he had 5 tries, 12 forced drop outs (handy skillful lock) and was averaging more metres per game than Adam Elliot is this year, same tackling % at about 92% effective and broke tackles at the same rate... so if Adam Elliot is going ok then Peachy was reasonably productive.

Not a stellar player but there was a period in peak Vlandy'sball when it looked like the game was turning towards his style and size of lock. Things have slowed a tad since then.

Can see why a club took a 300k punt on him based on that. Might have been a role for him as bench lock/utility half if his form held up and the game stayed quicker.
Cherry picked stats doesn't doesn't really support the case. If he was such a valuable contributor the Titans would not have let him go and the Tigers would not be trying to offload him now.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I don't care how bad he's been. But if Canberra pass up getting Peacher on 200k that will do me. The squad is desperate for utility. And the bloke covers 14, 13, 6, 9 and 3/4.

Considering we constantly see blokes like Schiller on the bench wasting spots it would ve crazy not to.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Northern Raider wrote: June 21, 2022, 9:53 am

Cherry picked stats doesn't doesn't really support the case. If he was such a valuable contributor the Titans would not have let him go and the Tigers would not be trying to offload him now.
It's a pretty broad selection of stats- defence, attack, yards. I don't really see how I "cherry picked" it.

And I didn't say he was good this year, just that he was decent enough last year to be worth a punt at the price- and his output was similar to our low dollar punt at lock...
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

BadnMean wrote: June 21, 2022, 10:10 am

It's a pretty broad selection of stats- defence, attack, yards. I don't really see how I "cherry picked" it.

And I didn't say he was good this year, just that he was decent enough last year to be worth a punt at the price- and his output was similar to our low dollar punt at lock...
Cherry picked across various categories and don't really prove anyting. I will agree that first half of last year he was going well. Mainly because he simplified his game. Played very direct and took the line on regualry. His game dropped off towards the back end of the year when he reverted back to his more chaotic style. Went back to playing too sideways and disrupting his own team's attack more than the opposition defense.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

That's the essence of Peachy. Effective when it's simplified but when he's required to "impact" or come up with the big play it's very often a negative impact. He finds himself in that situation far more often than his skill level demands because of that reputation.
I'm really not a fan but at 200k, sure.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Northern Raider wrote: June 21, 2022, 10:40 am
BadnMean wrote: June 21, 2022, 10:10 am

Cherry picked across various categories and don't really prove anyting. I will agree that first half of last year he was going well. Mainly because he simplified his game. Played very direct and took the line on regualry. His game dropped off towards the back end of the year when he reverted back to his more chaotic style. Went back to playing too sideways and disrupting his own team's attack more than the opposition defense.
Lol, I included practically every stat available on a standard club profile. Do you want his kick metres? Offloads? Fantasy points? Total tackles?
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Botman wrote: June 19, 2022, 10:45 am For me it’s simply down to this
Whatever you think of Wighton and where his best position lays, there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that’s he’s our best half right now

Until such time as we have not 1 but 2 better halves than him, moving our best half to a position that isn’t as important to accomodate a player not as good as him in the more important position… well let’s just say I don’t think that’s a path to improving our footy team

If I woke up tomorrow in an alternate reality and the club had somehow signed Munster and Schnieder was having a Sam Walker level rookie year then I’d be very open about moving Wighton. Until then though, it’s just not viable imo
Nailed it
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

If we can get Peachey for $200k - sure. I don't think he's worth much more than that though. Interesting that people are keen to sign Peachey when he's been crap this year, yet people also call Elliott on $200k or so a plodder despite being a valuable contributor in most games this season.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Why would we be wanting to sign a 30 year old reject from the Wests Tigers, after they've played half a season with that club?