The Politics Thread 2022

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2022

Post by gangrenous »

papabear wrote:I don’t think what labor did in opposition really should be held against them that much- I mean The opposition under tony torpedoed anything and everything.

The opposition is going to be doing whatever is politically opportunistic to knock the government. The government when they are in power will ultimately get judged on how well they wield it…
Hell no! Oppositions being deliberately wrecking/obstructive against the country’s interest should absolutely have that held against them. It should be a clear way to judge someone who puts their self-interest above the country. That’s not good for government.

No I am not bagging Ukraine.
papabear
Steve Walters

Re: The Politics Thread 2022

Post by papabear »

gergreg wrote: June 14, 2022, 9:48 pm
papabear wrote:
gergreg wrote: June 14, 2022, 5:41 pm
papabear wrote:
gergreg wrote: June 14, 2022, 1:25 pm Yes the ALP has completed screwed up the Energy sector in the past 3 weeks.
It’s not the governments job to keep the lights on in the first few weeks.

How long should people wait before expecting the government to govern.

For one I hope they get it sorted.

But you don’t need to be a partisan zombie it’s not like this is a labor party forum..
I thought you were joking? Hang on ... you're not being serious here, are you?
FTR people who are as partisan as you push me and others like me in the other direction whichever way the tilt is.

The coalition got voted on their performance.

The labor party now have the opportunity to govern for however long they can show the electorate that they can do it well.

At one of the first tests for it - you bring out the old blame it on the old party tripe, obviously the previous party left labor / the country they are in (all the good and bad) the question isn’t how they performed - badly they got voted out.

It is what will labor do…

Good news is , no black outs for me where I am.. :)
Oh **** off dude. You're just as partisan as me. Stop kidding yourself.

When the Libs were knee deep in sports rorts, carpark rorts/pork barrelling, sexual allegations, ministers engaging in sexual activity with staffers and then having the **** nerve to vote against same sex marriage because of the sanctity of marriage... where were you to raise these issues? Nowhere ... Nowhere to be seen. I raised many of these issues in this thread and not a **** peep out of anybody.

But you parrot the libs Bull line that they are better economic managers ... so last week when it was announced that we would be forking out just under a billion dollars in compensation to the French government over the bungled submarine deal you were here complaining about it ... right ... right? No of course you weren't because you are as much a liberal stooge as I am a labor stooge. Own your **** man.
Ok so now we are owning how we vote:-

2004 I voted labor
07 labor
Gillard knifed Rudd and made a promise
Switched
Coalition for 4/5 elections
Then voted teal / labor this year.. no labor candidate I. My pleasant part of the world..

Senate - I have been voting mostly pirate / Greens / weed forever

Now for nsw

I voted labor up until Eddie Obeid started buying land he had granted mining licenses on… ( I think this sentiment was a popular one) and pretty much went with most nswmen

I am not sure where I will vote next nsw election.

Now as for you soldier care to share the many times you have voted for the coalition?

Or could it be that from your perspective everyone looks like a capitalist oil baron :p

Also why so much tone and rage, if you have accepted you are a labor zombie then be at peace with it and also come to terms with parroting the party line can get boring in conversation between scholars and gentlemen..
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

gangrenous wrote: June 14, 2022, 10:08 pm
papabear wrote:I don’t think what labor did in opposition really should be held against them that much- I mean The opposition under tony torpedoed anything and everything.

The opposition is going to be doing whatever is politically opportunistic to knock the government. The government when they are in power will ultimately get judged on how well they wield it…
Hell no! Oppositions being deliberately wrecking/obstructive against the country’s interest should absolutely have that held against them. It should be a clear way to judge someone who puts their self-interest above the country. That’s not good for government.

No I am not bagging Ukraine.
Glad poor old Ukraine wasn’t copping it :p - I just wasn’t following your line of thought.

Re - opposition, I get your line of though and to a degree I agree with your reasoning, it is a way to judge. But the inner anarchist in me - doesn’t mind an opposition blocking the government from making changes as imo a lot of government action / control may be good for the masses (may not) but often hurts a lot of individuals.. thus an inactive govt isn’t the worlds worst thing, are worse thing is a passive well intentioned or corrupt opposition while the govt sells everyone down the drain.

Thus - I prefer to keep it simple, could/should the govt have done better in the corcumstances / would a vote the other way improve the country??
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote: June 14, 2022, 3:41 pm
papabear wrote: June 14, 2022, 3:19 pm
gergreg wrote: June 14, 2022, 1:25 pm
papabear wrote:New government - and the lights are about to go off.

If NSW / QLD do run out of electricity to households tonight, I am not sure people will be as supportive to a faster paced movement away from coal, nor do i think is it a great start for this government.

Lets hope the government does what it can to keep the lights on...
Yes the ALP has completed screwed up the Energy sector in the past 3 weeks.
It’s not the governments job to keep the lights on in the first few weeks.

But you don’t need to be a partisan zombie it’s not like this is a labor party forum..
Labor party forum? More like bag the liberals forum.
Nailed it
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

gangrenous wrote:
BJ wrote: Pity both major parties and the Greens have been using energy as a political strategy to win votes, instead of a bipartisan long term and steady transition off coal and gas.
What should Labor and the Greens have done towards bipartisan (tripartisan?) agreement with a ruling party that didn’t believe a transition was necessary and torpedoed their own energy plans before they got to parliament?

There are some hot takes here right now.
To clarify my thoughts as I think you’ve misunderstood them, Labor helped create that Coalition government that as you say “didn’t believe in a transition”. Bipartisan in my original post meant NOT including the Greens. The Greens Kiboshed Rudd’s energy plans after Rudds landslide election win (that even John Howard had made a similar election commitment to) and then Abbot Kiboshed Turnbull’s plans at striking some sort of long term energy agreement between the only two parties that would conceivably provide the Prime Minister over a generation or two.

The Labor Greens Carbon Tax then proved an enabler to trigger the next Coalition government. IMO a Carbon Tax is a good solution, but it should have started at $5-10 a tonne not $23 a tonne. This provided Abbott with the ammunition he needed to win government without an effective energy strategy for the long term.

All three parties have long ongoing responsibility for this current energy crisis and Australia’s missed opportunities for further down the transition path in 2022, and the Coalition certainly lead that failed responsibility.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Politicians to receive another pay rise.

Backbenchers will now get $217k per yer + bonuses.

Our PM will get a $15k pay rise taking him up to $564k per yer + bonuses.

Albo having iceberg lettuce party’s for fun.

These numbers were from Sky News.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

BJ wrote:
gangrenous wrote:
BJ wrote: Pity both major parties and the Greens have been using energy as a political strategy to win votes, instead of a bipartisan long term and steady transition off coal and gas.
What should Labor and the Greens have done towards bipartisan (tripartisan?) agreement with a ruling party that didn’t believe a transition was necessary and torpedoed their own energy plans before they got to parliament?

To clarify my thoughts as I think you’ve misunderstood them, Labor helped create that Coalition government that as you say “didn’t believe in a transition”. Bipartisan in my original post meant NOT including the Greens. The Greens Kiboshed Rudd’s energy plans after Rudds landslide election win (that even John Howard had made a similar election commitment to) and then Abbot Kiboshed Turnbull’s plans at striking some sort of long term energy agreement between the only two parties that would conceivably provide the Prime Minister over a generation or two.

The Labor Greens Carbon Tax then proved an enabler to trigger the next Coalition government. IMO a Carbon Tax is a good solution, but it should have started at $5-10 a tonne not $23 a tonne. This provided Abbott with the ammunition he needed to win government without an effective energy strategy for the long term.

All three parties have long ongoing responsibility for this current energy crisis and Australia’s missed opportunities for further down the transition path in 2022, and the Coalition certainly lead that failed responsibility.
I think you’re kidding yourself if you think things like the exact price Carbon started at would have made a lick of difference.

I’m sick of people putting all three parties in the “all have responsibility for the situation” bucket when two of them accidentally reversed over the letterbox and one of them sat there and demolished the house with a wrecking ball. It’s disingenuous rubbish to seemingly lump them together as roughly equal contributors to the issues faced.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

papabear wrote:
gergreg wrote: June 14, 2022, 9:48 pm
papabear wrote:
gergreg wrote: June 14, 2022, 5:41 pm
papabear wrote: It’s not the governments job to keep the lights on in the first few weeks.

I thought you were joking? Hang on ... you're not being serious here, are you?
FTR people who are as partisan as you push me and others like me in the other direction whichever way the tilt is.

The coalition got voted on their performance.

The labor party now have the opportunity to govern for however long they can show the electorate that they can do it well.

At one of the first tests for it - you bring out the old blame it on the old party tripe, obviously the previous party left labor / the country they are in (all the good and bad) the question isn’t how they performed - badly they got voted out.

It is what will labor do…

Good news is , no black outs for me where I am.. :)
Oh **** off dude. You're just as partisan as me. Stop kidding yourself.

When the Libs were knee deep in sports rorts, carpark rorts/pork barrelling, sexual allegations, ministers engaging in sexual activity with staffers and then having the **** nerve to vote against same sex marriage because of the sanctity of marriage... where were you to raise these issues? Nowhere ... Nowhere to be seen. I raised many of these issues in this thread and not a **** peep out of anybody.

But you parrot the libs Bull line that they are better economic managers ... so last week when it was announced that we would be forking out just under a billion dollars in compensation to the French government over the bungled submarine deal you were here complaining about it ... right ... right? No of course you weren't because you are as much a liberal stooge as I am a labor stooge. Own your **** man.
Ok so now we are owning how we vote:-

2004 I voted labor
07 labor
Gillard knifed Rudd and made a promise
Switched
Coalition for 4/5 elections
Then voted teal / labor this year.. no labor candidate I. My pleasant part of the world..

Senate - I have been voting mostly pirate / Greens / weed forever

Now for nsw

I voted labor up until Eddie Obeid started buying land he had granted mining licenses on… ( I think this sentiment was a popular one) and pretty much went with most nswmen

I am not sure where I will vote next nsw election.

Now as for you soldier care to share the many times you have voted for the coalition?

Or could it be that from your perspective everyone looks like a capitalist oil baron Image

Also why so much tone and rage, if you have accepted you are a labor zombie then be at peace with it and also come to terms with parroting the party line can get boring in conversation between scholars and gentlemen..
I don't care who you claim to have voted for. But suggesting you voted for Labor then 3 weeks later taking shots at them for the current state of the energy sector after they have been in opposition for a decade is flat out ridiculous.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Lol I said energy could be a problem based on news articles.

There was no blackout for me - so it appeared crisis averted.

To be quite honest you have been rude, condescending, now you accuse me of being a liar.

Can you not make your point without being so sensitive to your labor cause… again this is a rugby league forum not a union get together.. you can be a nicer person, maybe?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

papabear wrote: June 15, 2022, 7:59 am Lol I said energy could be a problem based on news articles.

To be quite honest you have been rude, condescending, now you accuse me of being a liar.

Can you not make your point without being so sensitive to your labor cause… again this is a rugby league forum not a union get together.. you can be a nicer person, maybe?
Rugby league forum? More like be rude and condescending forum.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote: June 15, 2022, 9:51 am
papabear wrote: June 15, 2022, 7:59 am Lol I said energy could be a problem based on news articles.

:roflmao
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

5.2% increase to the minimum wage just announced.

Good, fair result in my opinion.
Up The Milk
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

gangrenous wrote:
BJ wrote:
gangrenous wrote:

I think you’re kidding yourself if you think things like the exact price Carbon started at would have made a lick of difference.

I’m sick of people putting all three parties in the “all have responsibility for the situation” bucket when two of them accidentally reversed over the letterbox and one of them sat there and demolished the house with a wrecking ball. It’s disingenuous rubbish to seemingly lump them together as roughly equal contributors to the issues faced.
Your kidding yourself if you think I’m saying they’re all roughly equal contributors to the issue. That’s absolutely not what I think and that’s not what I wrote.

You can disagree with me and say that the Labor Greens Carbon Tax didn’t help Tony Abbott win government, but even Peta Credlin admits that’s what helped them take power and open up a vote winning front using climate wars. A war they successfully mined for 9 years.

Australian politics is full of government policies and decisions that do the reverse of what they intended by pushing too far too quick and helping the Opposition to win government. Work Choices was a reverse example where core Coalition policies helped Labor.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Mickey_Raider wrote: June 15, 2022, 10:17 am 5.2% increase to the minimum wage just announced.

Indeed - interesting thing about min wage in sydney is you don't see people taking or working for the minimum wage in this labor market anyways.

The world is going to be very interesting as the RBA raises interest rates to counter inflation (most of which appears to be more supply side then demand side for me). In any event I do think the RBA should be aggressive.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

looks like the govt is trying to secure electricity supply

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australi ... d2987ca0a4

so far so good.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Botman wrote: June 15, 2022, 10:06 am
The Nickman wrote: June 15, 2022, 9:51 am

:roflmao
I reckon!!!

thing is, its all good 20 years ago when we are all young and all the rest of it.. but most of us have been posting on here or similar league forums for 20 years - young kids are using different platforms.

Like at our age we dont need to hate, we need to help eachother, flowers kumbuyaaaaaa...
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

papabear wrote:Lol I said energy could be a problem based on news articles.

You called me a partisan zombie initially to get the ball rolling on the condescending theme and now you're offended. Bless your cotton socks.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

papabear wrote:
Mickey_Raider wrote: June 15, 2022, 10:17 am 5.2% increase to the minimum wage just announced.

Indeed - interesting thing about min wage in sydney is you don't see people taking or working for the minimum wage in this labor market anyways.

The world is going to be very interesting as the RBA raises interest rates to counter inflation (most of which appears to be more supply side then demand side for me). In any event I do think the RBA should be aggressive.
4.6% across Awards. Will cost me about $400k + super increases.

I get the need, but wow ... that's a big increase. Will Seriously hurt a lot of businesses

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

gergreg wrote: June 15, 2022, 1:46 pm

You called me a partisan zombie initially to get the ball rolling on the condescending theme and now you're offended. Bless your cotton socks.
Partisan zombie - hmm what description would you prefer that accurately depicts you when you go off on a thoughtless labor defending tirade?

Not offended btw just pointing out how you carry on.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

papabear wrote:

Partisan zombie - hmm what description would you prefer that accurately depicts you when you go off on a thoughtless labor defending tirade?

You're no different.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

gergreg wrote: June 15, 2022, 2:33 pm
papabear wrote:

You're no different.
We have just done this line dance....

The offer remains open though, if I say something about you that you think could be described better, less offensively, then I am happy to oblige :)
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

papabear wrote:
gergreg wrote: June 15, 2022, 2:33 pm
papabear wrote:

You're no different.
We have just done this line dance....

The offer remains open though, if I say something about you that you think could be described better, less offensively, then I am happy to oblige :)
I accept your apology.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Not sure who else needs to hear this but I know at least one poster who does:

If someone puts forward an opinion or idea, the legitimacy of that opinion or idea is not contingent on how many times someone has voted Liberal, or Greens, or Labor, or UAP, or the ***** bullet train for Canberra party.
Up The Milk
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Mickey_Raider wrote: June 16, 2022, 10:34 am Not sure who else needs to hear this but I know at least one poster who does:

If someone puts forward an opinion or idea, the legitimacy of that opinion or idea is not contingent on how many times someone has voted Liberal, or Greens, or Labor, or UAP, or the ***** bullet train for Canberra party.
It is tiring, when trying to have a good conversation, to make general commentary on the government and instead of conversing about the actual issue you hear the same tired response being practically the same company line already being shilled by that political party.

So I would pushback, if you have only ever voted one particular way your entire life, chances are you are more likely to be the type of individual who just marches to the particular drum of that zeitgeist. That's fine but imo that particular way of thinking or post is more popular on particular forums built for those sorts of echo chambers where you can pat yourself on the back on the strength of being a true believer to that particular cause. On a friendly rugby league forum you should be able to have a conversation about particular issues without being hammered by religious like fervor of a true believer.

That all said, I posted my voting history because I was effectively referred to as a coalition shill. I do not see myself that way nor do I think how I vote of converse reflects that at all. I think people who are very far down the conservative / coalition bandwagon would refer to me as a bleeding heart hippie and someone who is very far down the labor bandwagon would refer to me as a corporate stooge, but both of those are wrong and more a reflection on the individual calling me that.

Your point does have some merit in the sense, that it shouldnt apply to everyone and the quality of an idea can be awesome regardless of where one stands on the political spectrum....
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

How is blaming a 3 week old government for long standing problems (fault lying with state and federal on both sides - ie liberal and labor) a 'good conversation'?

I'm not quite sure how my innocuous comment, dripping with sarcasm set you off into calling me a partisan zombie...

And I wasn't calling you a liar. I don't care who you vote for - my sarcasastic comment was completely reactive to your comment, and nothing more.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

gergreg wrote: June 16, 2022, 12:53 pm How is blaming a 3 week old government for long standing problems (fault lying with state and federal on both sides - ie liberal and labor) a 'good conversation'?

I'm not quite sure how my innocuous comment, dripping with sarcasm set you off into calling me a partisan zombie...

And I wasn't calling you a liar. I don't care who you vote for - my sarcasastic comment was completely reactive to your comment, and nothing more.
My comment was:-

"New government - and the lights are about to go off.

If NSW / QLD do run out of electricity to households tonight, I am not sure people will be as supportive to a faster paced movement away from coal, nor do i think is it a great start for this government.

Lets hope the government does what it can to keep the lights on..."

I understand where you are coming from, most (if not all) of us here get it, every new government inherits the good the bad and the ugly of the previous government. But I do see - how the "new government' could send you down that path and perhaps I could have worded that part better.

I thought my commentary was leading to:-
- what people think the govt would do with energy in the future?
- was the news hamming it up harder then the actual issue?

In any event, if you are all good, I am all good :)
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

papabear wrote:
gergreg wrote: June 16, 2022, 12:53 pm How is blaming a 3 week old government for long standing problems (fault lying with state and federal on both sides - ie liberal and labor) a 'good conversation'?

My comment was:-

"New government - and the lights are about to go off.

Lets hope the government does what it can to keep the lights on..."

I understand where you are coming from, most (if not all) of us here get it, every new government inherits the good the bad and the ugly of the previous government. But I do see - how the "new government' could send you down that path and perhaps I could have worded that part better.

I thought my commentary was leading to:-
- what people think the govt would do with energy in the future?
- was the news hamming it up harder then the actual issue?

In any event, if you are all good, I am all good :)
Yeah I'm all good. Nothing wrong with a little robust discussion, with a cheeky grin on the side. I've only got beef with one person on this site and he's on ignore.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Great announcement by both the Victorian and NSW Governments today, expanding free early education. Love me some Dan, and I've gotta say, I wasn't exactly happy when Dom got the job, but I've been pretty happy with him so far.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Greens smashing tax reform...

tbh labor should put through the shift to 30% tax rate from 45-200k and eventually expand from there.

Happy to have company tax rates increased back to 30%.

Greens have a problem with lumping everyone into the corporations / billionaires brackets when they clearly aren't....
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

New senator Ralph Babet’s whinge about $200k payday

Victoria’s newest senator has whined that the job won’t pay him enough to compensate for the “suffering” he will endure in parliament.

“This is a sacrifice for me I’m doing it to serve my country,” he tweeted. “It’s a pay cut. If you think 200k for the amount of work I will have to do and the amount of suffering I will endure is a good deal, then you’re wrong.

Read more: https://www.news.com.au/technology/onli ... e7ee988644

What sort of Muppet votes for a gronk like this?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Interesting decision to appoint John Barrilaro to a plum gig in NY. Didn't he resign because of some dodgy stuff?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I’m not entirely surprised. Dom’s had a history of questionable hiring strategies in the past
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Roe v Wade overturned.

Well done Republican and Trump supporters. **** morons.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gangrenous wrote:Roe v Wade overturned.

Well done Republican and Trump supporters. **** morons.
Trump's legacy lives on.

What a mess.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

papabear wrote: June 24, 2022, 11:51 am Greens smashing tax reform...

tbh labor should put through the shift to 30% tax rate from 45-200k and eventually expand from there.

Happy to have company tax rates increased back to 30%.

Greens have a problem with lumping everyone into the corporations / billionaires brackets when they clearly aren't....
Thoughts on the potentially inflationary impacts of such broad tax cuts?

Will be interesting to see what the discourse looks like in 12-18 months if inflation is still bubbling away north of 5% with tens of billions of dollars slated to be structurally and permanently injected back into the economy…
Up The Milk