Final charge against Tom Starling dismissed

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Canberra Raiders hooker Tom Starling charged in alleged intimidation incident

Post by Botman »

:lol: Not as tough a day as the guy who's positioned himself on Mt Pious for 2 days around some swear words pretending he was above it all and then leaned heavily into homophobic rhetoric.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Re: Canberra Raiders hooker Tom Starling charged in alleged intimidation incident

Post by -GD- »

Hearing dates set for Canberra Raiders hooker Tom Starling over Shady Palms incident

A hearing date has been set for Canberra Raiders hooker Tom Starling and his two brothers almost 18 months after an alleged brawl at Shady Palms in Kincumber. Tom has pleaded not guilty to one charge of resist or hinder police officer in the execution of duty.

The Avoca Beach brothers were excused from appearing at the court. It is understood the matters have been sent to the Downing Centre due the length of time expected for the hearing which has been spread over dates in late May and early June.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newsl ... f9bb8ffad8
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

On the upside, I don’t think this will disrupt our finals preparations!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Raiders hooker Tom Starling has charges - including assaulting police - dropped

Post by greeneyed »

Security officer denies directing slur at NRL player's mother prior to brawl

A security officer has denied calling NRL player Tom Starling's mother a derogatory term before a brawl broke out at a New South Wales Central Coast bar. The security guard gave evidence in Sydney's Downing Centre Local Court today over a brawl at Kincumber's Shady Palms bar in December 2020.

Read more and video: https://www.9news.com.au/national/secur ... 6d07aa892f

Slur denied in Starling melee case: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-6921828

Tom Starling, Canberra Raiders: Horrific footage reveals cop punching NRL star

Shocking footage tendered in court has shown the alleged zenith of a massive brawl at a Central Coast bar, ending in an NRL star being punched multiple times in the face by a police officer.

Footage shown in court during the hearing of Canberra Raiders hooker Tom Starling shows a number of police officers holding back the NRL star before repeatedly punching him in the face, forcing him to topple backwards, leaving him with a bloody nose.

Tom and Jackson have each pleaded not guilty to the charge of resist or hinder police officer in the execution of duty, while Josh has pleaded not guilty to charges of resist or hinder police officer in the execution of duty, common assault and assault officer in execution of duty. Byrne has also pleaded not guilty to resist or hinder police officer in the execution of duty.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newsl ... 103869279e

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newsl ... c1c23561f6

Botman
Mal Meninga

Re: Raiders hooker Tom Starling has charges - including assaulting police - dropped

Post by Botman »

The footage is not easy viewing.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hard to imagine why Tom Starling has not just been sent a formal apology. Hard to imagine why any charges remain.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I feel for police officers who do it the right way
Some of these **** bags who seem to take great delight in abusing their position is a stain on their profession and their colleagues. There really is no justification for that footage, that's not police work, that's assualt.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

It would like to hear all audio and full lead up before passing judgement.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Looks like a gronk cavern sounds like **** hole.

This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Eshay looking mofos.

This place is woke.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: May 24, 2022, 9:13 pm Hard to imagine why Tom Starling has not just been sent a formal apology. Hard to imagine why any charges remain.
We all know why police pile on those Bull charges- to try and intimidate or financially pressure people into just talking their lump and moving on. It is unfortunately standard operating procedure and plenty of people know others it has been done to.

I guess Tommy will hire Scott's lawyer and sue their asses off since they were dumb enough to push it all the way to trial to try and cover their asses.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

That was horrific viewing, I would say even worse then the Scott situation

What I dont get , and maybe there are lawyers on here who can explain it for me , is why with THAT evidence AND lack of other evidence ( those conveniently forgotten to turn on body cameras) the public prosecution lawyers are prepared to even take this to court.

Firstly those cops need to be investigated by internal affairs and punished/charged

But away from that issue why is the public prosecution willing to let this crap go to court where the only outcome will be a huge waste of taxpayers dollars and the erosion of public trust in the police force?

This is obviously a high profile case , thus the media coverage, imaginechow many more cases are like this clogging up our courts and costing millions of dollars
Vaccinated
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

What is going on in our police force?!

This is extremely concerning. I hope the powers that be take this seriously.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Regardless of what occurred prior to that footage they should all be sacked. Cuff him and take him away... instead they're just teeing off on him.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Question wrote: May 24, 2022, 9:26 pm It would like to hear all audio and full lead up before passing judgement.

I’d also need full context before passing judgement on the police here, but have seen enough to crown Starling with a new nickname - Speedball!
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Is this stuff only going to trial because there’s an NRL player involved?

Things like the Wighton drunken fight happen week in and week out in the pub districts and never go any further.

Curtis Scott is obviously an idiot, Starling was probably a bit drunk but how did these incidents ever make it beyond a stern warning???? It’s making the NSW Police and prosecutors look extremely dodgy and untrustworthy.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Toms an angel.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

cat wrote: May 24, 2022, 11:07 pm That was horrific viewing, I would say even worse then the Scott situation

What I dont get , and maybe there are lawyers on here who can explain it for me , is why with THAT evidence AND lack of other evidence ( those conveniently forgotten to turn on body cameras) the public prosecution lawyers are prepared to even take this to court.

Firstly those cops need to be investigated by internal affairs and punished/charged

But away from that issue why is the public prosecution willing to let this crap go to court where the only outcome will be a huge waste of taxpayers dollars and the erosion of public trust in the police force?

This is obviously a high profile case , thus the media coverage, imaginechow many more cases are like this clogging up our courts and costing millions of dollars

Hi Cat. I suggest that the DPP knew exactly what the CCTV showed and went ahead in order to bring the whole matter into the open. It is no secret that there are or at least were many senior officers of NSW Pol who are very averse to reining in over vigorous officers to the point of ordering IAD to call off the dogs on some occasions. A popular move on 2GB.
By proceeding with a charge the arresting officers and a few others will likely be looking for alternative employment soo enough. That will be a good thing.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

**** me. I just watched that footage.

What is wrong with some of these officers?

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote: May 26, 2022, 11:52 pm **** me. I just watched that footage.

There's actually a reason a lot of people become cops... it's a personality type.

On one hand you've got people who want to be cops so they can help people, on the other you have bullies and thugs who want to bully people for a living.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Cranky Old Man wrote: May 26, 2022, 10:55 pm
cat wrote: May 24, 2022, 11:07 pm That was horrific viewing, I would say even worse then the Scott situation

Hi Cat. I suggest that the DPP knew exactly what the CCTV showed and went ahead in order to bring the whole matter into the open. It is no secret that there are or at least were many senior officers of NSW Pol who are very averse to reining in over vigorous officers to the point of ordering IAD to call off the dogs on some occasions. A popular move on 2GB.
By proceeding with a charge the arresting officers and a few others will likely be looking for alternative employment soo enough. That will be a good thing.
Thats a scary place for our police force to be in!
Vaccinated
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Nickman wrote:

There's actually a reason a lot of people become cops... it's a personality type.

On one hand you've got people who want to be cops so they can help people, on the other you have bullies and thugs who want to bully people for a living.
Very similar to my experience of personalities across the armed forces.

sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Seiffert82 wrote: May 27, 2022, 4:25 pm
The Nickman wrote:

Very similar to my experience of personalities across the armed forces.

Behave or I’ll bash ya!
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Fresh charge laid in Canberra Raider Tom Starling’s alleged Terrigal brawl

Canberra Raiders hooker Tom Starling and his brother Josh are each facing a fresh charge of stalk or intimidate over their alleged 2021 brawl in Terrigal. Tom, Josh and Jackson Starling’s matters were mentioned in Gosford Local Court on Thursday before Magistrate Christopher Longley, along with co-accused Chelsea Balzan.

The court heard that a fresh charge of stalk or intimidate intending to cause fear of physical or mental harm had been laid against both Tom Starling and Josh Starling. Tom, 24, is also facing charges of threatening or causing injury to potential juror or witness and behaving in offensive manner in or near public place or school.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newsl ... 39ed06209f
BJ
Steve Walters

Re: Fresh charge laid in Canberra Raider Tom Starling’s alleged Terrigal brawl

Post by BJ »

Definitely won’t be faced with a charge of intimidating opposition defences.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Lol at the doubling down by NSW police/prosecutor here.

They are going to get roasted again.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The ferocity in the attempt to make a charge stick here is really quite something
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Do they honestly believe that a single judge or jury in this country is going to view that footage and do anything but throw this case out? It's beyond embarrassing.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Crash Ball »

gergreg wrote: July 7, 2022, 3:49 pm Do they honestly believe that a single judge or jury in this country is going to view that footage and do anything but throw this case out? It's beyond embarrassing.
Seems like at least one of the charges related to the Juror/Witness was post the incident.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There are two incidents. One at Shady Palms, one at Mumbo Jumbos involving a security guard. This latest story is the latter incident. The video that’s been released a while back was the Shady Palms incident.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

So is it correct to say that in 3 years years Mr Starling has been charged with 3 separate incidents that occurred on 3 separate dates?

This is Curtis Scott territory in terms of charges.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Cast your mind back to 9 April 2021.

We had gone 3-1 with our only loss coming against the Warriors after losing a handful of troops in-game.

We rocked up to what looked like a genuine heavyweight clash against the Panthers on a Friday night.

We got pumped and since that day pretty much everything has been an absolute disaster.
Up The Milk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Billy Walker wrote: July 7, 2022, 4:50 pm So is it correct to say that in 3 years years Mr Starling has been charged with 3 separate incidents that occurred on 3 separate dates?

No it’s not correct.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Mickey_Raider wrote: July 7, 2022, 5:12 pm Cast your mind back to 9 April 2021.

We had gone 3-1 with our only loss coming against the Warriors after losing a handful of troops in-game.

We rocked up to what looked like a genuine heavyweight clash against the Panthers on a Friday night.

We got pumped and since that day pretty much everything has been an absolute disaster.
I do recall that. So here is a comparison - storm recently lost to Manly a game they were expected to win. Coach gives direct and robust feedback about the team’s performance, Brandon Smith reveals the team was flogged on the training paddock and Storm will no doubt return to success soon.

In response to that loss to the Panthers we do what we do and focus externally. The club and fans entered into a debate about whether the Panthers were too exuberant in their try celebrations and whether they were “mug lairs”

The storm have become good at winning, the Panthers better at celebrating and we are excelling at complaining about external factors.

You reap what you sow!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: July 7, 2022, 5:18 pm
Billy Walker wrote: July 7, 2022, 4:50 pm So is it correct to say that in 3 years years Mr Starling has been charged with 3 separate incidents that occurred on 3 separate dates?

No it’s not correct.
There was the Dec 2020 incident, the October 2021 incident, and you’re suggesting this fresh charge is related to the 2021 event and did not occur at a separate location.