Coaching issues

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: Coaching issues

Post by bonehead »

The Nickman wrote:I think a big part of the last few weeks is that Frawley prefers to play on the left, he’s even said so himself

Does it mean I’d play him over Wighton? Hell no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Schneider is a rookie on a huge curve and has done an admirable job.

Fogarty back soon, let's look forward to that.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Barrett called. Asked if there’s a vacancy soon?
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

With Wighton back and Fogarty returning I'd say no.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

sprintman wrote: May 16, 2022, 12:21 pm Barrett called. Asked if there’s a vacancy soon?
Attacking coach. We need one.

He simply isn't a head coach.... he went for names and clearly lacks the structure required to package up a side. Dogs today, on paper, are better than the raiders.

It was clear as day.

I feel for the way Dean Pay was treated there. Shame he left us when he did.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

benda wrote:
sprintman wrote: May 16, 2022, 12:21 pm Barrett called. Asked if there’s a vacancy soon?

He simply isn't a head coach.... he went for names and clearly lacks the structure required to package up a side. Dogs today, on paper, are better than the raiders.

It was clear as day.

I'm a fan of Crawley but I'm also a fan of Barrett, he'd be an excellent addition

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

benda wrote: May 16, 2022, 5:10 pm

It was clear as day.

Dean would be having a laugh. Dogs have big problems
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

sprintman wrote: May 16, 2022, 6:50 pm
benda wrote: May 16, 2022, 5:10 pm

It was clear as day.

Dean would be having a laugh. Dogs have big problems
I think Dean would be pissed.. no ability to recruit and they still expected results.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Danny Weidler saying on 100% Footy that the Raiders want to extend Ricky Stuart, beyond the end of next year, and ensure he finishes his time in coaching at the club. However he’s reportedly not interested in discussing it until he gets the team back on track.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: May 23, 2022, 11:34 pm Danny Weidler saying on 100% Footy that the Raiders want to extend Ricky Stuart, beyond the end of next year, and ensure he finishes his time in coaching at the club. However he’s reportedly not interested in discussing it until he gets the team back on track.
Which could be interpreted as either:

A) what a guy, totally committed to ensuring the success of the club before considering his own job security and future contract, or

B) what a smart operator, what chump negotiates future pay and conditions when your shares are down. Get them in the 8 then stick your hand out.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seemed to be some vague suggestions that he might go to the Bulldogs or the Tigers, which prompted the Weidler questions. But the suggestions seemed like pure media speculation.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Ricky saving Don from himself here.
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi

Post by Sleek the Elite »

Surprised Ricky hasn't walked given all the criticism he receives on here. Mostly from people in love with the sound of their own voices but who aren't capable of suggesting anything that would genuinely improve the performance of the first grade side. He's mostly got things right this year from what I can see. Ricky departing would return the club to irrelevance. I'm not in a hurry for that to happen so long may he continue. We haven't reached winter yet but are back knocking on the door of the top 8.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

As I said even in our form slump. I wouldn’t be sacking Ricky any time soon, but I’d love an assistant coach in the mould of a Slater, Smith or Cronk who really understands the modern games techniques and can improve our players attacking play.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

One of our worst starts to a season

GIVE THE MAN AN EXTENSION!!!!!!!!

If that aint the most 'radiers' thing to do, i dont know what is
Perth Based Raiders Fan
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I tried telling people, even at the height of our troubles this year, that Stuart was not only not under any pressure, but he was more likely to be extended than be fired. :lol:
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

No one ever doubted his position is not under threat.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

If i was the bulldogs id go all in on ricky, he is the type of coach they need to get back on track.
Even the tigers would probably Benefit from having him

Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Would that be Ricky's grand revenge plan 20+ years in the making to ditch us for the Bulldogs in a cruel twist of irony?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Crash Ball »

As if Ricky would work under Gould.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I wouldn’t work under Gould…
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

To be sacked by Gould twice would be some feat. Unless you were a desperate coach out of the NRL, you would not go to Canterbury. Change in the board every few years, and Gould a ego maniac with a history of sacking coaches.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Stuart wont coach another club.
He'll be our HC until he decides its time for him to hang them up... i dont beleive either coach or club have ANY interest in ending the relationship. Regardless of results.

Stuart cut and run on the Eels because he wanted this job. He's as invested in this club and this region as any coach. He's not interested in anything but being the Raiders coach and we'll keep him as long as he wants the job
Elcaptcroker
David Grant

Post by Elcaptcroker »

I said if i was those clubs id chase him, as hes the type of coach they need

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

I see nothing's really changed in 10 years:

For Stuart to walk out on the Eels right now would be a low act. He has made a mess of the clubs roster and now he will walk away and leave it for some other coach to clean up.

Read more: http://www.leaguefreak.com/ricky-stuart ... -now-5697/
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Billy Walker wrote: May 24, 2022, 12:44 am
greeneyed wrote: May 23, 2022, 11:34 pm Danny Weidler saying on 100% Footy that the Raiders want to extend Ricky Stuart, beyond the end of next year, and ensure he finishes his time in coaching at the club. However he’s reportedly not interested in discussing it until he gets the team back on track.
Which could be interpreted as either:

A) what a guy, totally committed to ensuring the success of the club before considering his own job security and future contract, or

B) what a smart operator, what chump negotiates future pay and conditions when your shares are down. Get them in the 8 then stick your hand out.
Billy for the win.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 30, 2022, 12:34 am I see nothing's really changed in 10 years:

For Stuart to walk out on the Eels right now would be a low act. He has made a mess of the clubs roster and now he will walk away and leave it for some other coach to clean up.

Not one of the players he projectored right out of Parra went on to have a FG career. They HAD a mess of a roster and he did the hard part of clearing out the dead wood. He didn't manage the process well, but they sure as hell needed it and started a climb up as soon as he did it, after 2 consecutive spoons.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant

Post by Elcaptcroker »

BadnMean wrote:
Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 30, 2022, 12:34 am I see nothing's really changed in 10 years:

Not one of the players he projectored right out of Parra went on to have a FG career. They HAD a mess of a roster and he did the hard part of clearing out the dead wood. He didn't manage the process well, but they sure as hell needed it and started a climb up as soon as he did it, after 2 consecutive spoons.
I agree with that, as much as parra fans will hate to admit it, what ricky did when he was their coach help parra to get to where they are now.

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

I was referring to this part of the article:

"After the way Stuarts time at the Roosters ended, and then looking over his time at the Cronulla Sharks, his disastrous run as Australian team coach, and now his time at the Parramatta Eels, you have to wonder why the Canberra Raider would want anything to do with him! When you consider that Stuart will want a long term investment by the Raiders and that he will need his entire coaching staff to come with him, wouldn’t it be smarter for the Raiders to go with a coach that costs less, demanding less of a commitment and who has a better record than Stuart?"

As much as I think he's in the top 3 of the greatest ever Raiders players, and I admire and respect what he does off the field with his charity, I don't think he's an elite NRL coach that will bring continual success.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Any one could have walked in the door after 2 wooden spoons and said you are all ****, **** off and run way.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

The reason why I posted the article is we are tracking for another 10th place finish under Ricky which is completely unacceptable. We beat Cronulla and Souths with their good players out, but cannot match it with the leading teams consistently under Ricky.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

It a good article, thanks for the reminder.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

We dont have anything like the roster we had in 2018/19.
Our spine is lame.
We have 2 very good props, an above 5/8 who would be a better centre, and most of the rest are bog average.
No recruitment to speak of next year and beyond.
We'll finish 7th -12th for the foreseeable future. Our better performances going forward will be described as 'gutsy' or 'courageous'.
You know it.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

I still think his use of the bench is telling... Is there any other club out there that seems to consistently use a bench player for less than ten minutes or even not at all??? In the first half last week we used one bench player, of often feels like Stuart has some sort of bonus tied to using the least interchanges possible... We often use **** all interchanges in the first half, we often drop out bundle in the second half. I wonder if there is some sort of link....
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

The Roosters consistently do the same with their bench.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

No doubt Rick is going galaxy-brain with this persistent selection of a back on the bench.

But he’s essentially planning for an outcome (backline injury) that occurs every 6-8 weeks at the expense of ignoring the weekly issue of middle forward fatigue and effectiveness.

If he wasn’t surrounded by yes men, he may have had it pointed out to him by now that over the course of a season, it’s a bum strategy