A new Canberra Stadium

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Where would you like a new Canberra Stadium to be built?

Civic
82%
Bruce
12%
Mitchell
6%

Total votes: 67

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: A new Canberra Stadium?

Post by greeneyed »

100%green wrote: March 22, 2022, 8:54 am
Timbo wrote:
yurithe1 wrote: March 21, 2022, 11:18 am
Meanwhile, Yvette Berry says that there's still life in the Stadium that will take it to at least 2026. Four frigging years and no plan as to what to do when the time comes.
Bruce's biggest problem is that it remains 'fine'.

All-seater, 25,000. Plenty of parking. Public transport is suboptimal but not impossible to navigate. Not enough covered seats but that's hardly a dealbreaker in this league.

There is nothing about Bruce that screams 'we need this replaced as a matter of urgency' like Brookie's asbestos hill or Dairy Farmers scaffolding stands starting to corrode.

A bit of concrete cancer wouldn't go astray.
Correct, GIO is still way ahead of most Sydney teams.

Brookie, Liechardt, Campbeltown, Shark Park, even Panthers (though it's about to be demolished) are all still behind even an outdated GIO.

I think that's why maybe getting someone to build and run say a new convention/stadium precinct in the city would be a good idea. Problem is space.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Brookvale and Shark Park will still be worse, despite recent works. Probably Wollongong/Kogarah and Mt Smart too. But there’s no real need for the Tigers to play at Leichhardt or Campbelltown, they have access to Western Sydney Stadium and the new SFS if they wanted it. The Warriors could play at Eden Park. It places us bottom four in the NRL on my reckoning, once the new Penrith Stadium is built.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

I've just gone through the Canberra Raiders Sports Club's annual report from Nov 20-Nov 21 and see that they recorded a surplus of $31,341,045. This surplus takes into account the sports club's grants to various organisations, not just junior rugby league.

I couldn't find any reference to the NRL side receiving any money. So, I don't know whether the centre of excellence is funded from some other pool or what. The NRL grant, from my understanding, pays the players' salaries.

Seeing as the club's stated purpose is to foster rugby league, it could be argued that they could make a contribution to either a new stadium or a gradually refurbished one. That would put some pressure on the Federal and Territory Governments to hasten the work to make it happen. The financial contribution should also mean that the Raiders get priority when it comes to season scheduling.

Unfortunately, that might not be an issue if the Brumbies crowds continue to be as dire as they have been so far this season. They haven't recorded a crowd above 7,000 (officially) for a home game yet and that includes the NSW derby match that only drew 6,273. (Official figure for the game against the Reds hasn't been posted yet by AusStadiums). I haven't seen details of the proposed upgrade to Viking Park, but its current capacity is listed as being 8,000. If it can be made suitable for evening TV broadcasts that could end up as their new home. That in turn would release some of the pressure on the Barr Government to do anything anytime soon. Thanks, Zed. Hope you and your upgrade plans get turfed.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Does that $31 million include the clubs assets, such as the leagues clubs and Braddon training facility?

Or maybe include the NRL and other ‘promised’ grants that will be eaten away over the course of the season?

I’d imagine revenues have taken a hit over the last few years.

These Financial statements can be a confusing read sometimes. They often include or exclude things that make the balances look overly positive or negative.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I think an upgrade to Viking Park would make a full-scale overhaul of Bruce the most likely outcome for our new venue.

We'd be shuffled off there for a season while Bruce was out of commission, they'd find enough to re-do the roofs, upgrade the lights to LED, and give the rest a new lick of paint.

That'd be all she wrote for a new Civic Stadium.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I thought I heard a little while back that Rugby Australia was pushing for another World Cup? Viking Park isn't going to help with that and playing Brumbies games there also has the potential to destabilise the Brumbies organisation and rugby in Canberra.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

yurithe1 wrote: March 22, 2022, 2:55 pm I've just gone through the Canberra Raiders Sports Club's annual report from Nov 20-Nov 21 and see that they recorded a surplus of $31,341,045. This surplus takes into account the sports club's grants to various organisations, not just junior rugby league.
That's not a surplus, that's the total equity in the organisation (which has jumped by about $15 million). Seems to represent a "distribution received" of about $12.85 million. It looks like the parent Raiders Group has essentially given the subsidiary an equity injection... while the subsidiary has repaid loans to the parent of about $15 million. The accounts of the Canberra Raiders Sports Club (the Canberra leagues clubs) have to be put in context of the Raiders Group as a whole.

That's from a quick look. I'll have a closer look later.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: March 22, 2022, 4:12 pm Does that $31 million include the clubs assets, such as the leagues clubs and Braddon training facility?
Those accounts are for the three Canberra leagues clubs, Raiders Belconnen, Raiders Gungahlin and Raiders Weston. I'm pretty sure the Mawson Club is a separate entity, from memory. You need to look at all these financial statements together. The Queanbeyan Leagues Club is at the top of the tree, with the ultimate controlling entity being the Queanbeyan Blues (which from memory is a private entity).
Badger17
Ken Nagas

Post by Badger17 »

gergreg wrote: March 22, 2022, 5:21 pm I thought I heard a little while back that Rugby Australia was pushing for another World Cup? Viking Park isn't going to help with that and playing Brumbies games there also has the potential to destabilise the Brumbies organisation and rugby in Canberra.
Australia is the preferred candidate to host the 2027 RWC, so it's basically a fait accompli unless something totally unpredictable happens.

Unless construction starts in the next few years any new stadium probably won't be ready for 2027, and on paper GIO doesn't meet the minimum standards to host RWC fixtures anymore. In other words Canberra has probably already missed that boat unless rules are bent or there're no other options.

BTW, the Brumbies are already completely destabilised. They're consistently one of the best, if not the best, RU sides in Australia, but they struggle to crack 10k attendance. Imagine if the Storm with their decades of consistent success couldn't give tickets away, that's the position the Brumbies have been in for the last half-decade, and too be fair to them it's largely outside of their control.

I wouldn't be surprised if they actually support a smaller venue being built so they can save money on rent by playing most of their games there.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: March 22, 2022, 5:21 pm I thought I heard a little while back that Rugby Australia was pushing for another World Cup? Viking Park isn't going to help with that and playing Brumbies games there also has the potential to destabilise the Brumbies organisation and rugby in Canberra.
I have no fondness for rugby union, and Brumbies games could probably now be comfortably accommodated at a 10,000 seat stadium. But that doesn't help the case for a new stadium in Civic...
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

RU is dying a slow and painful death in this country. It'll hang on in pockets where the private school competitions live and continue to have strong traditions, but the Super Rugby Franchises are already on borrowed time, very few people give the faintest **** about RU anymore, and the direction the game has gone has driven some of it's die hards (mostly old dying breed) away from the game

the sooner is dies, and the sooner we can dance on it's grave the better.
The idea that Brumbies games would be held out of a tiny boutique suburban park is absolutely **** hilarious. Pull up stumps and call it day. Give up. It's over.
Badger17
Ken Nagas

Post by Badger17 »

I don't have strong feelings for RU or the Brumbies either way, but RU and the Brumbies dying would be a disaster for all rectangular sports in the ACT.

As things stand it's been ludicrously hard to convince the government to invest into a new stadium when there'd be two regular tenants, try to imagine just how much harder it'd be if there was only one.

I'd honestly go so far as to say that it's in the Raiders interest to help the Brumbies as much as they can, not that there's much that they can actually do for them.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Too right Badge. Andrew Barr would love any excuse to put the money into his AFL mates instead of League.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Badger17 wrote: March 22, 2022, 7:00 pm I don't have strong feelings for RU or the Brumbies either way, but RU and the Brumbies dying would be a disaster for all rectangular sports in the ACT.

As things stand it's been ludicrously hard to convince the government to invest into a new stadium when there'd be two regular tenants, try to imagine just how much harder it'd be if there was only one.

I'd honestly go so far as to say that it's in the Raiders interest to help the Brumbies as much as they can, not that there's much that they can actually do for them.
BJ wrote: March 22, 2022, 7:10 pm Too right Badge. Andrew Barr would love any excuse to put the money into his AFL mates instead of League.
I can see why people would think this way. However, i dont think you guys are seeing the board here.
As this thread and this entire process has shown, this governement, which has almost 0 chance of being voted out, has absolutely no interest in investing in this any time soon. It's all nonsense. The Raiders and Brumbies could be selling out and this gov is not serious about serious investment.

its lip service and always will be until such time that the current Bruce facility is literally dilapidated. The Raiders dont matter, the Brumbies dont matter, the sleep giant A-league team doesnt matter.

The Brumbies dying doesnt change a thing, because its simply not really on the agenda at all. Discussion is lip service only.
Lets talk in 15 years.
Badger17
Ken Nagas

Post by Badger17 »

BJ wrote: March 22, 2022, 7:10 pm Too right Badge. Andrew Barr would love any excuse to put the money into his AFL mates instead of League.
I agree, but we need to change the way we approach this issue. It's not League vs Aussie Rules, it's rectangular sports vs oval sports.

Any investment into rectangular infrastructure is a win for all rectangular sports, so it's in our interest to work together to get the best result for all of us.
Badger17
Ken Nagas

Post by Badger17 »

Botman wrote: March 22, 2022, 7:20 pm
Badger17 wrote: March 22, 2022, 7:00 pm I don't have strong feelings for RU or the Brumbies either way, but RU and the Brumbies dying would be a disaster for all rectangular sports in the ACT.

I can see why people would think this way. However, i dont think you guys are seeing the board here.
As this thread and this entire process has shown, this governement, which has almost 0 chance of being voted out, has absolutely no interest in investing in this any time soon. It's all nonsense. The Raiders and Brumbies could be selling out and this gov is not serious about serious investment.

its lip service and always will be until such time that the current Bruce facility is literally dilapidated. The Raiders dont matter, the Brumbies dont matter, the sleep giant A-league team doesnt matter.

The Brumbies dying doesnt change a thing, because its simply not really on the agenda at all. Discussion is lip service only.
Lets talk in 15 years.
I more or less agree with all of that, however it doesn't change the fact that when a stadium is seriously on the agenda that things are more likely to go our way with the Brumbies than without them.

Lose the Brumbies and that's just another excuse the government can use to put off a new rectangular stadium, or even worse use it to justify a "multipurpose" oval.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

ACT government open to private Civic stadium

ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr is open to a private investor building Canberra's Civic Stadium. But he feels the capital's best chance of getting a new stadium is through a change of federal government.

"It is hoped that a change of federal government will allow for a dialogue with the ACT government on the renewal of the AIS precinct ahead of the 2032 Olympics.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

No private consortium is going to build a major stadium in Canberra without government assistance or incentives.

This story is simply another example of ‘deflection’ by leaders who have made promises and claims pre election, only to make excuses once in power.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Rumors around that Brookie is about to get a massive funding injection:

https://www.zerotackle.com/overdue-broo ... nt-115253/

Another one we'd be behind.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
yurithe1
David Furner

Post by yurithe1 »

Badger17 wrote: March 22, 2022, 7:25 pm
I agree, but we need to change the way we approach this issue. It's not League vs Aussie Rules, it's rectangular sports vs oval sports.

Any investment into rectangular infrastructure is a win for all rectangular sports, so it's in our interest to work together to get the best result for all of us.
That would also increase the chances of an A League soccer side being located here. Without a modern or modernised stadium, it's just not going to happen.

Our best chance is for Barr to retire and move to Melbourne with someone who is more in tune with rectangular sports taking over from him. I just don't feel the Libs are perceived as a viable alternative government yet.

Badger17
Ken Nagas

Post by Badger17 »

yurithe1 wrote: March 27, 2022, 10:23 am
Badger17 wrote: March 22, 2022, 7:25 pm

That would also increase the chances of an A League soccer side being located here. Without a modern or modernised stadium, it's just not going to happen.

Our best chance is for Barr to retire and move to Melbourne with someone who is more in tune with rectangular sports taking over from him. I just don't feel the Libs are perceived as a viable alternative government yet.
To be fair the only reason Canberra hasn't already got an A-league license is because of football politics and broadcasters interference, not because of the state of facilities in the ACT.

Twice now Canberra has objectively had the best bid only to be overlooked for lesser options because of machinations behind the scenes or, as in the case of last time the A-league expanded, because of Foxtel offering millions of dollars extra for clubs from Melbourne or Sydney to get the nod.

In other words we could literally have had the best stadium in the world and it wouldn't have made any difference to our chances of winning an A-league license.
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

badonkadonk wrote: March 17, 2022, 8:55 pm
Raider Azz wrote: March 17, 2022, 11:36 am
mobrulesall wrote:Not sure on Zed's logic for backing a Vikings upgrade. The proposed Civic location will cater to soccer as well. Respectfully, no one goes to Wanniassa to watch soccer....

Same drips who were anti rail I suppose..
If Zed is proposing something you can bet he's got something to gain from it. My bet is someone affiliated with Vikings has deep pockets to contribute to Zed's campaign

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
This.

Wouldn’t trust that bloke as far as you could throw him.

Looks like we’ll still be having this conversation about a new stadium for a loooong time to come yet…
I don't follow politics at all but it looks like Zed is going to lose to David Pocock as it stands. If so will this help in anyway with a new stadium?
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Bring on a New Civic stadium. Sell off the Bruce land to property developers and use the money to get building.

Offer Zed a job to dig holes.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

BJ wrote: May 22, 2022, 9:50 am Bring on a New Civic stadium. Sell off the Bruce land to property developers and use the money to get building.

There was actually a plan last election to sell AIS precinct to ACT gov for a nominal fee which could then be sold off to pay for the new stadium.

Pocock looking likely to win the senate seat also definitely helps.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

BJ wrote:Bring on a New Civic stadium. Sell off the Bruce land to property developers and use the money to get building.

There's no way that his soft little hands are up to the task.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr shifts tack from new Canberra Stadium in Civic to rebuild of Meninga Stand

ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr has ruled out a new Canberra Stadium until the second half of the decade. The ACT has had talks with the new federal government about rebuilding the Mal Meninga Stand, which would increase capacity at Bruce to 30,000. He says downplayed a stadium in Civic as it can only hold 20,000.

"We’re playing at Canberra Stadium until at least 2025-2026. I just need to get everyone's expectations at that point, that there's nothing coming, there's no room in our budget for a brand new stadium."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

As we always knew, a 20,000 seat stadium is too small, and the ACT has been told the stadium has to have at least 30,000 if sports are to bring big events to Canberra. Repairs to the northern big screen a couple of weeks off. A replacement six to 12 months off.

Hopefully, if they go down the path of rebuilding the Meninga Stand, it is designed to be a part of a fully integrated stadium, that goes right around the four sides of the ground, with cover over the bulk of the crowd. With the grandstands right up against the sidelines.

By the way, if people have "misunderstood", they have just been responding to what has been promised and speculated about by politicians for years. With nothing delivered. Not surprising I guess... but the clear statements have only followed the election. None of this was made clear before.
yurithe1
David Furner

Post by yurithe1 »

I don't think the people have misunderstood. I think it's more likely that Barr and Co. have discovered there's far more opposition to that Stage 2 tram that requires London Circuit to be raised. This cause many months of traffic delays. Even if a new stadium is delayed until the second half of this decade, there would be little support for the traffic chaos that would ensue if Parkes Way had to be realigned to make way for the stadium.

Hopefully, the new Federal Sports Minister forces the Australian Sports Commission to make a decision on the future of the precinct post haste. If it results in the ASC selling the stadium to the ACT for a peppercorn price, then it should with the stipulation that the site is to upgraded, not turned into more residential housing.

Barr has already had his hands tied by a Greens MLA as to what should happen with the money should the housing debt be scrubbed by the Feds with the money going towards public housing. So, there is precedent at an ACT LA level.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The city's population is forecast to grow by about 270,000 over the next 30-40 years.

The current stadium almost holds 30,000 with some temporary seating. Half decent Raiders crowds during the regular season can exceed 20,000.

I believe a new stadium should have a capacity of at least 35,000. Obviously that won't fit in the city. Can this be built at the AIS precinct, or is the EPIC site our only option? I'm in the Northside, so either works for me, but the stadium should obviously be a central as possible and have adequate public transport access.

Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

If they aren't going to give us a new stadium, can they at least make GIO a little more habitable?

Deadset is the coldest place in the world during winter months, a desolate wind tunnel with absolutely no shelter.

I agree with GE, if you insist on kicking the can down the road, at least get some cover around all sides of the ground.
Up The Milk
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Mickey_Raider wrote:If they aren't going to give us a new stadium, can they at least make GIO a little more habitable?

Deadset is the coldest place in the world during winter months, a desolate wind tunnel with absolutely no shelter.

I agree with GE, if you insist on kicking the can down the road, at least get some cover around all sides of the ground.
Every time I go to a game now I feel the sniffles coming on for a few days afterwards. I rug up but as soon as I'm seated the wind and chill factor just kills me.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra deserves new stadium: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart says Canberra Stadium is an "embarrassment" and he's called on the federal and ACT governments to get a new stadium done.

"The people deserve to be looked after because it's unfair for them to be trotting out here in those conditions. They should be looked after. We're the nation's capital and we should have a stadium that takes care of our people because it is poor planning that a 50-year-old stadium is what we have to put up with.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

10 years from now we'll be having the exact same conversation about the need for a new stadium
I think best case scenario is 15-20 years is when we might get one.
Velda
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by Velda »

GIO is an embarrassment, today the ticket scanners weren’t working, the old big screen is rubbish and I had to try 4 toilets before finding a working one with a door lock…this is on top of all the other issues of location and being so out-of-date. Compare GIO to Bankwest, Country Bank, AAMI and even CBUS! No Plandrew Barr needs to give up on playing trains and give sports fans in Canberra a modern facility!
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

Politics friends, politics. We live in the three of the reddest federal electorates in the nation, and both sides of politics know it. Labor takes us for granted, the Coalition knows we'd vote in a piece of roadkill if it were wearing a red rosette. Both sides know it need not spend a red cent here. Let's hope Pocock puts Albo in a chokehold 'til he coughs up some dough (or hands over GIO for a dime). Until then, I'm not sure what Barr and his mob can really do...
Last edited by Leebola on June 5, 2022, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

Parramatta have had two new stadiums in the last 40 years!