Rabbitohs 13+
6%

Total votes: 16

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Re: 2022 Rd 11 V Rabbitohs: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Canberra Milk »

We should have known, and probably did underneath, that Elliott out of the 17 was too good to be true
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

What is really confusing is Stuart has a very itchy trigger finger on CHN. He's demoted him and dropped already half a dozen times
If he really feels that way about the player, why ink him to a new deal earlier this year?

Baffling stuff.
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

On a positive note, Im glad we have the majority of the squad playing, I honestly thought we would lose at least 4 starters.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

So Sutton is in doubt and we send CHN back to NSW Cup...
badsall1
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: campo

Re: 2022 Rd 11 V Rabbitohs: Game Day

Post by badsall1 »

It's crazy not playing schnider. He's looked so much better in attack with Wolford and frawley delivering the ball. Also he's our only goal kicker, and a damn good one at that. Would of been better moving wighton to lock or centres.
CRaid
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by CRaid »

Canberra Milk wrote: May 21, 2022, 4:35 pm Unbelievable and unfathomable. If it's due to an off-field issue, we deserve an explanation. If it's not, Ricky has to go
You weren’t on the email list ???

Geez mate, really, you think we are entitled to know what goes on behind closed doors.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Surely CHN must have had a poor training week or a minor discipline breach. Ricky rarely drops players after wins.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

I was at the Reserve Grade game today and noticed at the start Corey HN was going out to the wing a lot in attack so I assume he was protecting himself and would be playing tomorrow but he then got more involved.

I did as him and he just said dropped.

Ricky really must want Elliott to re-sign that bad I can only assume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Dimes
Peter Jackson

Post by Dimes »

Has to be an off field issue
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders could lose one player to flu for South Sydney Rabbitohs NRL clash

He wasn't part of the original Canberra Raiders flu crew, but prop Ryan Sutton could miss their crucial clash against the South Sydney Rabbitohs in Dubbo on Sunday. Sutton has been cleared of COVID-19, but the Raiders were still awaiting the results of his influenza test on Saturday night.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

greeneyed wrote: May 21, 2022, 5:21 pm

So Sutton is in doubt and we send CHN back to NSW Cup...
Seriously, you could not make this crap up... wow...
This club keeps me guessing these days that's for sure .. well, I mean the coach does anyway...
What a time to be alive
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

The Daily Tele saying CHN is out due to illness :shock:
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Dropping CHN baffles me. He is one of our only points of difference in attack - an area we clearly struggle. We've re-signed him too haven't we? If the Coach doesn't have faith enough to stick with him by now in his 3rd year why bother?
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Wiki Special wrote: May 21, 2022, 9:06 pm Dropping CHN baffles me. He is one of our only points of difference in attack - an area we clearly struggle. We've re-signed him too haven't we? If the Coach doesn't have faith enough to stick with him by now in his 3rd year why bother?
Jacks back don't you know, throw it to him and see what he does, that's all we do when he's playing anyway... that's why teams find it easy against us
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

President Clinton wrote: May 21, 2022, 8:29 pm The Daily Tele saying CHN is out due to illness :shock:
Makes more sense than form.

But Rick's MO the last couple of years has been to offer an obviously bogus "injury", for players he drops and never really come and state the case.

I guess he thinks it helps take pressure off club and players but it does kind of confuse and stiff the fans.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BadnMean wrote: May 22, 2022, 12:23 am
President Clinton wrote: May 21, 2022, 8:29 pm The Daily Tele saying CHN is out due to illness :shock:
Makes more sense than form.

But Rick's MO the last couple of years has been to offer an obviously bogus "injury", for players he drops and never really come and state the case.

I guess he thinks it helps take pressure off club and players but it does kind of confuse and stiff the fans.
CHN played yesterday afternoon in NSW Cup…
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

We still seem to be shifting guys around trying to stabilise key positions - especially lock. The coaching staff obviously want something specific from that role. After his good stint at hooker/lock, and the emergence of Zac at hooker... Adam Elliot now seems pegged for that lock role. This shifts Whitehead back to the edge, with Young also preferred on an edge.

CHN then becomes the next forward in line, but not first choice for any role - including the bench. This makes sense as you need two middles on the bench. Starling gets a bench spot... and so it is either CHN or Savage on the bench in the last spot.

I'm not sure if I agree with the pecking orders or planning for Adam Elliot. But I can see the logic. I don't think it is baffling or mysterious
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Whitehead has done nothing to earn his spot over CHN. Absolutely nothing. I'll look for him to be on his haunches after 50 minutes. With no one to sub on for him

I really do think Ricky has some good attributes as coach. But his blind spots are so so big
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Boomercm wrote: May 22, 2022, 9:57 am We still seem to be shifting guys around trying to stabilise key positions - especially lock. The coaching staff obviously want something specific from that role. After his good stint at hooker/lock, and the emergence of Zac at hooker... Adam Elliot now seems pegged for that lock role. This shifts Whitehead back to the edge, with Young also preferred on an edge.

CHN then becomes the next forward in line, but not first choice for any role - including the bench. This makes sense as you need two middles on the bench. Starling gets a bench spot... and so it is either CHN or Savage on the bench in the last spot.

I'm not sure if I agree with the pecking orders or planning for Adam Elliot. But I can see the logic. I don't think it is baffling or mysterious
It's logical? With Whitehead starting who has proven weekly without fail this year that he can't play 80? It's not logical at all
Boomercm
Brett Mullins

Post by Boomercm »

Canberra Milk wrote: May 22, 2022, 10:04 am Whitehead has done nothing to earn his spot over CHN. Absolutely nothing. I'll look for him to be on his haunches after 50 minutes. With no one to sub on for him

I really do think Ricky has some good attributes as coach. But his blind spots are so so big
You may well be right re Whitehead. I hope not, but fear so.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins

Post by Boomercm »

Canberra Milk wrote: May 22, 2022, 10:10 am
Boomercm wrote: May 22, 2022, 9:57 am We still seem to be shifting guys around trying to stabilise key positions - especially lock. The coaching staff obviously want something specific from that role. After his good stint at hooker/lock, and the emergence of Zac at hooker... Adam Elliot now seems pegged for that lock role. This shifts Whitehead back to the edge, with Young also preferred on an edge.

It's logical? With Whitehead starting who has proven weekly without fail this year that he can't play 80? It's not logical at all
I said I may not agree with the pecking orders. But the logic is totally understandable.

Whitehead is the captain for a start. And from a goodwill perspective, it is hard to drop your captain in this situation without giving him a crack on an edge for a few games. They tried to shift him to the middle unsuccessfully as he has the skills but not the motor. But he will believe he should not be dropped entirely based on his shift to the middle. If he doesn't perform on the edge (as you suspect), then I imagine everyone (including Whitehead) will be more comfortable with a demotion.

In a straight Young vs CHN selection battle I just think Young a better player. Completely understand others might see that differently, just an opinion.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Looks like Ricky will be reluctantly forced to give youth a run today, with Sutton to be ruled out with late flu symptoms, and our standout NSW cup player Rushton the only available choice after Stick dropped CHN to cup. He must be so pissed…
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Hed rather play with 16.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Boomercm wrote: May 22, 2022, 10:25 am I said I may not agree with the pecking orders. But the logic is totally understandable.

Whitehead is the captain for a start. And from a goodwill perspective, it is hard to drop your captain in this situation without giving him a crack on an edge for a few games. They tried to shift him to the middle unsuccessfully as he has the skills but not the motor. But he will believe he should not be dropped entirely based on his shift to the middle. If he doesn't perform on the edge (as you suspect), then I imagine everyone (including Whitehead) will be more comfortable with a demotion.

In a straight Young vs CHN selection battle I just think Young a better player. Completely understand others might see that differently, just an opinion.
It was two weeks ago that Whitehead was on his haunches for almost a whole set in around the 50th minute, in a game where we had all the ball. Then last week, he gives away a penalty for not being behind the play the ball (and receiving a pass). These were both playing on the edge

I understand what you're saying re captain getting some leeway but I don't agree with it. Everyone should be accountable. Even more so the captain/leader. Giving the captain too much leeway, look at Broncos with Darius, I think a lot of their issues the last few years can be traced back to that

And I don't even mind the selection if Ricky just plays him 50 minutes. But he in typical stubborn form insists on playing him close to 80. And this time, no real sub other than Elliott maybe shifting there for a few minutes. Again his blind spots are just enormous
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Anyway we had a good win last week so I'll be positive about today's game but the CHN/Whitehead/Elliott thing triggered me
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Boomercm wrote: May 22, 2022, 10:25 am

I said I may not agree with the pecking orders. But the logic is totally understandable.

Thing is CHN would be a very good bench option as he can cover edge (as discussed, we might need it) and is a punchy line bending middle option with an offload, when we struggle hugely for yards when Tarps/Papa go off.

So it seems more like CHN has been dropped for Elliot in one battle- which as you say, Ricky may be working back toward some plan he had there. But then he's lost out again to not only Hors, but also Rushton for the bench role. I'd argue CHN is better than both those two. I'm not unhappy to see Rushton play, I want to see how he goes. But there's 3 players leapfrogged CHN there and I think he offers more than all of them.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins

Post by Boomercm »

BadnMean wrote: May 22, 2022, 10:52 am
Boomercm wrote: May 22, 2022, 10:25 am

Thing is CHN would be a very good bench option as he can cover edge (as discussed, we might need it) and is a punchy line bending middle option with an offload, when we struggle hugely for yards when Tarps/Papa go off.

So it seems more like CHN has been dropped for Elliot in one battle- which as you say, Ricky may be working back toward some plan he had there. But then he's lost out again to not only Hors, but also Rushton for the bench role. I'd argue CHN is better than both those two. I'm not unhappy to see Rushton play, I want to see how he goes. But there's 3 players leapfrogged CHN there and I think he offers more than all of them.
I don't think he's a better long minute middle than Horse or Sutton or Rushton. Doesn't have the effort on effort engine required imo. And with a hooker and a back on the bench, then one head knock would see the middles playing longer minutes. This is what I was getting at about seeing the logic. For me, he doesn't play in this side unless he starts on an edge or takes Savage's spot on the bench.

So it's Young, Whitehead, Savage, and CHN going for three spots (edges, bench).

Out of those four, you could reasonably argue the case for any one of them to miss out. It is just a matter of opinion for team balance who's more important. I'd say Young is the best of them (just opinion, again). But none of them are killing it so much you couldn't argue the point either way.
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Crash Ball »

Could the CHN dropping perhaps be to allow Woolford to stay in the side? Elliot plays lock, which means we are short a hooker and Woolford can still get picked from outside the 30?
thevikingclap on ig
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by thevikingclap on ig »

Crash Ball wrote: May 22, 2022, 1:26 pm Could the CHN dropping perhaps be to allow Woolford to stay in the side? Elliot plays lock, which means we are short a hooker and Woolford can still get picked from outside the 30?
Players outside the top 30 can play first grade without needing a exception from this round, the tigers used Manu Brown, Dogs used Kiraz, Souths using Peoples today.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Ricky just said he has a mentally tough team of men

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Crash Ball »

thevikingclap on ig wrote: May 22, 2022, 1:30 pm
Crash Ball wrote: May 22, 2022, 1:26 pm Could the CHN dropping perhaps be to allow Woolford to stay in the side? Elliot plays lock, which means we are short a hooker and Woolford can still get picked from outside the 30?
Players outside the top 30 can play first grade without needing a exception from this round, the tigers used Manu Brown, Dogs used Kiraz, Souths using Peoples today.
Oh, thanks. I had thought that was only Development players.