The Politics Thread 2022

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Off
Laurie Daley

Re: The Politics Thread 2022

Post by Off »

This is going to be good fun to watch though.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

are extremely happy today.

This place is woke.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gangrenous wrote:
T_R wrote:Our new PM's party will end up with about 30% of the vote.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
Just like our old PM’s party without the coalition.

Interesting how this will play out in years to come. Can a single party rule without a coalition to cater to splintered interests? Can a coalition continue to run well as the interests within the coalitions diverge?
I wasn't trying to make a partisan point, Gangrenous. It was a comment on the state of politics, that's all - I was actually thinking in terms of how challenging it is for Albo to claim any kind of mandate when 70% of the electorate wanted someone else. Tough gig.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

And by the way he couldn't even control his numerous teenage rent a crowd last night during his acceptance speech he's in for a doozy.

This place is woke.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

This is going to be a fun few years
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2022

Post by gangrenous »

T_R wrote:
gangrenous wrote:
T_R wrote:Our new PM's party will end up with about 30% of the vote.

Just like our old PM’s party without the coalition.

Interesting how this will play out in years to come. Can a single party rule without a coalition to cater to splintered interests? Can a coalition continue to run well as the interests within the coalitions diverge?
I wasn't trying to make a partisan point, Gangrenous. It was a comment on the state of politics, that's all - I was actually thinking in terms of how challenging it is for Albo to claim any kind of mandate when 70% of the electorate wanted someone else. Tough gig.

I also wasn’t going for a partisan point. Just observing that the scenario isn’t too dissimilar to the gig ScoMo had.

Obviously easier to claim the Nationals votes as a mandate given the formal coalition. But be interesting to consider how voters might perceive their support for the Greens in similar fashion in this case.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

That was a complete and utter repudiation of the Scott Morrison and the LNP.
Up The Milk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Mickey_Raider wrote: May 22, 2022, 10:34 am That was a complete and utter repudiation of the Scott Morrison and the LNP.
Yeah it really was.

The voters sent a clear message to both the majors though. It would be wise for both to take stock of that message and lift their game. More aggressive independent campaigns are going to come on the back of this and the voters have shown now they’ll put them in seats if the majors aren’t offering good candidates and competence in the party
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

dubby wrote:This is going to be a fun few years
Yeah Dubby. As a comparison the past 3 years have just been delightful.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

gergreg wrote: May 22, 2022, 11:07 am
dubby wrote:This is going to be a fun few years
Yeah Dubby. As a comparison the past 3 years have just been delightful.
No, the past few years have been putrid.

Lockdowns and everything covid was an ugly era
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Botman wrote: May 21, 2022, 11:51 pm
greeneyed wrote: May 21, 2022, 11:43 pm Penny Wong introducing the new Prime Minister now.
Never forget she publicly and proudly dismissed marriage equality for political gain

Very few politicians I have less respect for than her.
Same here.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I watched Sky news Outsiders this morning for a laugh.

Talk about Sunday morning quarterbacks with claims about why they knew this result was always going to happen (despite spending weeks saying the complete opposite) and also claiming the Coalition would have easily won the election if they’d launched themselves to the far right.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Begbie wrote:
greeneyed wrote: May 21, 2022, 11:43 pm Penny Wong introducing the new Prime Minister now.
Never forget she publicly and proudly dismissed marriage equality for political gain

Same here.
What’s the original quote? Surely ‘proudly’ is well overegging it given her circumstances. Pragmatically did it to avoid issues for her position and her party I’d believe, but not ‘proudly’ like this was actually what she was happy to support.

I have less respect for people who actively drove for gay marriage not to happen, rather than someone part of the oppressed minority who presumably judged they didn’t have the capital/power to make the change at the time.

I can certainly understand why people would be upset and disappointed that she didn’t stand on her true principles, didn’t try to make the argument for change in public, and that undermines her as a politician.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

I said Albanese would win in about April last year.

Thank yup.
Up The Milk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2022

Post by gangrenous »

Well you were wrong, he only won last night
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gangrenous wrote: May 22, 2022, 12:26 pm
Begbie wrote:

Same here.
What’s the original quote? Surely ‘proudly’ is well overegging it given her circumstances. Pragmatically did it to avoid issues for her position and her party I’d believe, but not ‘proudly’ like this was actually what she was happy to support.

I have less respect for people who actively drove for gay marriage not to happen, rather than someone part of the oppressed minority who presumably judged they didn’t have the capital/power to make the change at the time.

I can certainly understand why people would be upset and disappointed that she didn’t stand on her true principles, didn’t try to make the argument for change in public, and that undermines her as a politician.
The question was " Do you agree with your party's stance on gay marriage?". Her reply was ""On the issue of marriage, I think the reality is there is a cultural, religious and historical view around that which we have to respect. The party's position is very clear and that is an institution between a man a woman.''

She was then asked if she was just 'toeing the party line". She responded ''I do respect the fact that's how people view the institution.''

She then went home to her same sex partner.

It was political cowardice of the worst kind, and I have had contempt for her ever since.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Cheers for digging that up.

Fits what I was expecting, wouldn’t characterise that as anywhere near ‘proudly’.

It’s certainly not good. But the subtext of that looks pretty clear to me as “the majority of people won’t accept it and at this stage I have to live with that or cut off my nose to spite my face”.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gangrenous wrote:Cheers for digging that up.

Fits what I was expecting, wouldn’t characterise that as anywhere near ‘proudly’.

It’s certainly not good. But the subtext of that looks pretty clear to me as “the majority of people won’t accept it and at this stage I have to live with that or cut off my nose to spite my face”.
It reads to me like " I am a snivelling coward", but each to their own.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

FWIW, i dont think it's overegging it when an openly gay senator decides to go on national tv to betray her own values without a hint of hestitancy or reservation because she thought it might help her politically.
Proud is exactly how she looked on that day making those remarks. And everyone is welcome to their opinions, but mine is that the openly gay senator telling the country that she supports marriage inequality did indeed play an active role in driving gay marriage not to happen
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Botman wrote:FWIW, i dont think it's overegging it when an openly gay senator decides to go on national tv to betray her own values without a hint of hestitancy or reservation because she thought it might help her politically.
Proud is exactly how she looked on that day making those remarks. And everyone is welcome to their opinions, but mine is that the openly gay senator telling the country that she supports marriage inequality did indeed play an active role in driving gay marriage not to happen
And here's the thing - it would have done her absolutely no harm to dissent...

"I am aware of the party's position on this and I respect the opinions of my caucus colleagues, but if I am to be true to myself I have to disagree with them on this occasion...."

No harm, no comeback.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Labor Party, sadly, at the time, chose not to pursue the issue, sadly terrified of being "wedged". Penny Wong was left with a choice of accepting the majority view within the party, or stepping down from her role in Cabinet/Shadow Cabinet. She was bound to Cabinet solidarity. She probably took the view that it was better to work from a position of greater influence within the party, so as to change it. Easy for those who have always had such rights, who are part of the establishment and the majority, to sit back and judge those in a minority who have basic rights denied... and worse... because of who they are.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:The Labor Party, sadly, at the time, chose not to pursue the issue, sadly terrified of being "wedged". Penny Wong was left with a choice of accepting the majority view within the party, or stepping down from her role in Cabinet/Shadow Cabinet. She was bound to Cabinet solidarity. She probably took the view that it was better to work from a position of greater influence within the party, so as to change it. Easy for those who have always had such rights, who are part of the establishment and the majority, to sit back and judge those in a minority who have basic rights denied... and worse... because of who they are.
She would not have needed to step down.. absolutely no chance.

As for 'those of us who've always had rights can't judge...'. Rubbish. She sells herself as a 'leader'. When a moral issue arose with the slightest risk to her political career, she bottled it.

It was rank cowardice.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: May 22, 2022, 7:53 pm
Botman wrote:FWIW, i dont think it's overegging it when an openly gay senator decides to go on national tv to betray her own values without a hint of hestitancy or reservation because she thought it might help her politically.
And here's the thing - it would have done her absolutely no harm to dissent...

"I am aware of the party's position on this and I respect the opinions of my caucus colleagues, but if I am to be true to myself I have to disagree with them on this occasion...."

No harm, no comeback.

Correct. She simply could have said her views dont align with the party, or actually even made no comment on it publicly at all. And reasonable people would have understood the difficult position she was in. IN fact thats what i thought she was going to do! Which is why i was so stunned when i heard her commments. There was 1000 things she could have said or done to maintain her integrity.

Instead she did what she did. And im sure she loses no sleep around the fact there are some people like me who have no respect for her and never will. She's still incredibly popular so toot on i guess.
greeneyed
Don Furner

The Politics Thread 2022

Post by greeneyed »

T_R wrote:
greeneyed wrote:The Labor Party, sadly, at the time, chose not to pursue the issue, sadly terrified of being "wedged". Penny Wong was left with a choice of accepting the majority view within the party, or stepping down from her role in Cabinet/Shadow Cabinet. She was bound to Cabinet solidarity. She probably took the view that it was better to work from a position of greater influence within the party, so as to change it. Easy for those who have always had such rights, who are part of the establishment and the majority, to sit back and judge those in a minority who have basic rights denied... and worse... because of who they are.

As for 'those of us who've always had rights can't judge...'. Rubbish. She sells herself as a 'leader'. When a moral issue arose with the slightest risk to her political career, she bottled it.

It was rank cowardice.

Absolutely she would have had to stand down. It is a basic principle of Cabinet government. Some don’t “get it” in more ways than one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:
T_R wrote:

It was rank cowardice.

Absolutely she would have had to stand down. It is a basic principle of Cabinet government.

No, if she crossed the floor and voted against them she would be required to offer a resignation.

There was no vote.

She chose to come out and make public statements. There are endless scenarios where she could have disagreed without serious consequence.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

T_R wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
T_R wrote:

It was rank cowardice.

Absolutely she would have had to stand down. It is a basic principle of Cabinet government.

No, if she crossed the floor and voted against them she would be required to offer a resignation.

There was no vote.

She chose to come out and make public statements. There are endless scenarios where she could have disagreed without serious consequence.

No, clearly you don’t understand the basic principles of Cabinet government. You must support the decisions. You can say what you like as a backbencher, but you don’t get to if you’re a Cabinet Minister.

Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

What the hell does Kristina Keneally do now?

Retire? Another parachute?

Pretty humiliating loss to be honest.
Up The Milk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

T_R wrote: She chose to come out and make public statements.
You think she could have abstained from comment without being hounded on the point at any interview? That’s just not realistic.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:
T_R wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
T_R wrote:

It was rank cowardice.

There was no vote.

No, clearly you don’t understand the basic principles of Cabinet government. You must support the decisions. You can say what you like as a backbencher, but you don’t get to if you’re a Cabinet Minister.

So, to clarify, if she has said in the interview that "I am aware of my party's position on this, and I hope over time it continues to evolve' or simply talked about gay issues of just declined to answer, or any of the thousand other non answers politicians provide every day....she'd have to have stepped down?

Utter rubbish.

She chose to promote the party line. Grotesque cowardice and an abrogation of leadership.

And I'm well aware of how the system works, thanks - there's no need to post your patronising 'some people don't get it' for the third time.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Mickey_Raider wrote: May 22, 2022, 8:07 pm What the hell does Kristina Keneally do now?

Hopefully never be seen or heard from again
I have NO idea why ALP power brokers are so high on her. How many times does she have to be rejected outright because the party concedes defeat. It's the old Mean Girls line - "Stop trying to make Kristina Keneally a thing! It's not going to happen!"

Putting her in that seat was absurd too, that seat was never going to rally behind a parachute candiate who looked like her and had no connection with the local community.
Last edited by Botman on May 22, 2022, 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gangrenous wrote:
You think she could have abstained from comment without being hounded on the point at any interview? That’s just not realistic.
It was a soft and cuddly Channel Ten magazine piece. Yes, she could have easily avoided the question, as she and other politicians do a dozen times a day.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Botman wrote:
Mickey_Raider wrote: May 22, 2022, 8:07 pm What the hell does Kristina Keneally do now?

I have NO idea why ALP power brokers are so high on her. How many times does she have to be rejected outright because the party concedes defeat. It's the old Mean Girls line - "Stop trying to make Kristina Keneally a thing! It's not going to happen!"
She IS the powerbroker. She runs the Right faction and is absolutely in bed with old mate Obeid.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: May 22, 2022, 8:14 pm
Botman wrote:

She IS the powerbroker. She runs the Right faction and is absolutely in bed with old mate Obeid.

:lol: Oh really? I was unaware... that suddenly makes a lot more sense
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

T_R wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
T_R wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
T_R wrote:She would not have needed to step down.. absolutely no chance.

It was rank cowardice.

There was no vote.

So, to clarify, if she has said in the interview that "I am aware of my party's position on this, and I hope over time it continues to evolve' or simply talked about gay issues of just declined to answer, or any of the thousand other non answers politicians provide every day....she'd have to have stepped down?

Utter rubbish.

She chose to promote the party line. Grotesque cowardice and an abrogation of leadership.

And I'm well aware of how the system works, thanks - there's no need to post your patronising 'some people don't get it' for the third time.

I can’t see how it’s patronising, based on what was written. In any case, I think there’s some harsh judgements being passed based on all the circumstances.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

T_R wrote:
gangrenous wrote:
It was a soft and cuddly Channel Ten magazine piece. Yes, she could have easily avoided the question, as she and other politicians do a dozen times a day.

I’m not talking in this one interview. If she doesn’t take a position on gay marriage as (one of? the only?) openly gay senior party member then it would have kept coming back at her from the press until she did.