Canberra Raiders on hunt for hookers

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Canberra Raiders are on the hunt for a hooker as they look to fill the void that will be left by Josh Hodgson's departure. It's slim pickings for hookers off-contract at the end of this season.

"We'll keep our eye out for sure, definitely," Raiders CEO Don Furner said. "We're looking at the moment. We've still got Trevilyan, but you need depth in that area so we're continually looking."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Hookers off contract

End 2022 - Jayden Berrell, Manase Fainu, Temple Kalepo, Freddy Lussick, Jayden Nikorima, Mitch Rein, Jake Turpin

End 2023 - Erin Clark, Damien Cook, Joshua Cook, Lachlan Croker, Jake Granville, Siliva Havili, Kobe Hetherington, Jacob Liddle, Jeremy Marshall-King, Andrew McCullough, Chris Randall, Reece Robson

End 2024 - Wayde Egan, Josh Hodgson, Mitch Kenny, Peter Mamouzelos, Taniela Otukolo, Jake Simpkin, Tom Starling, Sam Verrills

https://www.zerotackle.com/rugby-league ... ract-2022/
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Canberra Raiders on hunt for hookers

Post by Billy Walker »

Ha - I remember a similar headline in the Queanbeyan Age back in the 80’s
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

greeneyed wrote: Hookers off contract

End 2022 - Jayden Berrell, Manase Fainu, Temple Kalepo, Freddy Lussick, Jayden Nikorima, Mitch Rein, Jake Turpin

End 2023 - Erin Clark, Damien Cook, Joshua Cook, Lachlan Croker, Jake Granville, Siliva Havili, Kobe Hetherington, Jacob Liddle, Jeremy Marshall-King, Andrew McCullough, Chris Randall, Reece Robson

End 2024 - Wayde Egan, Josh Hodgson, Mitch Kenny, Peter Mamouzelos, Taniela Otukolo, Jake Simpkin, Tom Starling, Sam Verrills

Pretty slim pickings. I’d consider Erin Clark, Lachlan Croker, Siliva Havili, Josh Hodgson, Tom Starling from that list
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Finchy wrote: April 28, 2022, 7:55 pm

Pretty slim pickings. I’d consider Erin Clark, Lachlan Croker, Siliva Havili, Josh Hodgson, Tom Starling from that list
Yeah I thought it was ugly - I’d rather see us search for the next best thing rather than rummage through that discount bin.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Why do we need to find a hooker? Starling is developing nicely and at least has a go every week! We have much bigger problems in the squad than hooker!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The story suggests Verrills might be shaken out early, given their recruitment of Brandon Smith.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: April 28, 2022, 8:05 pm

The story suggests Verrills might be shaken out early, given their recruitment of Brandon Smith.
He’s worth a look at
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Who in there right mind thats any good would come and play under this administration.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
thevikingclap on ig
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by thevikingclap on ig »

We should make a play for Chris Randall as a backup hooker to Tom Starling and Kobe Hetherington as a lock/hooker.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

greeneyed wrote:

he'd be top pick, I have massive concerns around Starlings inability to get our forwards rolling

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

bonehead wrote: April 28, 2022, 8:57 pm
greeneyed wrote:

he'd be top pick, I have massive concerns around Starlings inability to get our forwards rolling

Starling is really only a bench hooker at the moment. Whether he can develop into a starting hooker, I guess we will see.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Im old enough to remember when posters really thought a run first hooker with shakey passing abilities was better than Josh Hodgson.

I pray for Trevilyan's success, i've been pretty happy with what little ive seen but i remember what life was like without a proper hooker and it was a very grim time and i have doubts that Tom Starling is ever going to be more than a really good change of pace #9.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Botman wrote:Im old enough to remember when posters really thought a run first hooker with shakey passing abilities was better than Josh Hodgson.

I pray for Trevilyan's success, i've been pretty happy with what little ive seen but i remember what life was like without a proper hooker and it was a very grim time and i have doubts that Tom Starling is ever going to be more than a really good change of pace #9.
Hodgo changed our lives, bless him

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I dont even know if people really understand just how lucky we were to have had him.
The comparisions to Cam Smith were... to be frank... over blown... that's the best player to ever lace a boot. But we had a hooker for a good period there that was the very clear cut #2 in the world and someone good enough that some felt he was comparable to the GOAT (albeit the GOAT in his final years)

A truly remarkable and special player. The likes of which we may never see again.
Ive said it before and ill say it again, Steve Walters left us at the end of 1996, it took us nearly 2 decades to find a guy who was fit to wipe his ****... let us pray we're not waiting 20 years for our next great hooker.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Aren’t we linked with James Roby?
Up The Milk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Mickey_Raider wrote: April 28, 2022, 9:36 pm Aren’t we linked with James Roby?
Not that im aware of. I've heard mumours we're making enquires into Robbie Paul
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Botman wrote: April 28, 2022, 9:52 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote: April 28, 2022, 9:36 pm Aren’t we linked with James Roby?
Not that im aware of. I've heard mumours we're making enquires into Robbie Paul
****, is George Peponis still available?

Actually I still don't mind Berrell from the Sharks. Given how their Brayley version is going, he might fancy his chances here.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

Our season is already on life support, now is a great opportunity to see what Trevilyan can offer before we go spending big bucks elsewhere. I like the look of Trevilyan from the little I have seen of him, I'm predicting a great career ahead for him.
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

Morgan Knowles would be great for a 25 min stint than play 13. Otherwise go get Sam Powell. I don't think there are many good 9s in the comp currently.
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

Botman wrote: April 28, 2022, 9:34 pm I dont even know if people really understand just how lucky we were to have had him.
The comparisions to Cam Smith were... to be frank... over blown... that's the best player to ever lace a boot. But we had a hooker for a good period there that was the very clear cut #2 in the world and someone good enough that some felt he was comparable to the GOAT (albeit the GOAT in his final years)

A truly remarkable and special player. The likes of which we may never see again.
Ive said it before and ill say it again, Steve Walters left us at the end of 1996, it took us nearly 2 decades to find a guy who was fit to wipe his ****... let us pray we're not waiting 20 years for our next great hooker.
We actually found a good one pretty quick. When talking about the worst recruitment/retention decisions this club has made there are a LOT of contenders, but letting Priddis go must surely be right up there.

Doesn't change for a second your assessment of Hodgo though, he's a genuine all time Raiders great.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

greeneyed wrote: April 28, 2022, 7:45 pm Canberra Raiders on hunt for hookers

The Canberra Raiders are on the hunt for a hooker as they look to fill the void that will be left by Josh Hodgson's departure. It's slim pickings for hookers off-contract at the end of this season.

"We'll keep our eye out for sure, definitely," Raiders CEO Don Furner said. "We're looking at the moment. We've still got Trevilyan, but you need depth in that area so we're continually looking."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Hookers off contract

Add Matt Parcell who returns to Australia next year.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

There’s not a single position we shouldn’t be open-minded about upgrading. But it’s pretty moot until the structure around them improves, the place needs a broom through it followed by some fresh thinking. We need to find our modern-day Tim Sheens equivalent, then give them a big say on recruitment (in that order)
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Looking at the list I'd be more willing to give Trevilyan a stint before bringing in a replacement. Theres really no genuine startingh option available. Beyond that we could still use a reserve hooker. Plenty there to fill that void.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

What’s crazy to me is - I don’t see why Starlings service hasn’t improved. You see a lot of hookers (Cook being a prime example, but even Hodgson) improve their service noticeably over time. It’s just reps, over and over again, doing the extra work. Boring repetition - why can’t he do it?

The other issue with Starling is his defence - he does well for a little guy, but his technique means he is prone to HIAs if he goes under, and if he doesn’t, he concedes too many metres. To be fair, Hodgson was also an issue defending at 9, both are a source of easy metres for the opposition.

I think Trevilyan has a lot of potential, and his combination with Schneider is worth trying. They have a good understanding of each other.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Trevilyan has been out with a hamstring issue I believe but did see him in the training pics this week

Edrick The Entertainer
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: April 29, 2022, 7:46 am Looking at the list I'd be more willing to give Trevilyan a stint before bringing in a replacement. Theres really no genuine startingh option available. Beyond that we could still use a reserve hooker. Plenty there to fill that void.
I cannot understand why we aren’t doing that. All won’t be lost in 2022 if we end the season having uncovered a few genuine first graders and identify 6-10 guys who can be moved on and replaced. Trevellian looks the goods, Starling is an 80% answer to a confusing question. Get Trevellian in there!
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

TongueFTW wrote: April 29, 2022, 7:51 am What’s crazy to me is - I don’t see why Starlings service hasn’t improved. You see a lot of hookers (Cook being a prime example, but even Hodgson) improve their service noticeably over time. It’s just reps, over and over again, doing the extra work. Boring repetition - why can’t he do it?

The other issue with Starling is his defence - he does well for a little guy, but his technique means he is prone to HIAs if he goes under, and if he doesn’t, he concedes too many metres. To be fair, Hodgson was also an issue defending at 9, both are a source of easy metres for the opposition.

I think Trevilyan has a lot of potential, and his combination with Schneider is worth trying. They have a good understanding of each other.
Agree about the ball playing, but he’s still young and hasn’t been given a long stint as full time starter. I think there’s potential for him to come good.

Disagree strongly about the defence though - I think he’s very technically sound and hits hard, plays above his weight. He’s not the issue, the sloth-like line speed from the entire team is. It’s clearly some sort of bizarre tactic the coaches have persisted with the past few years. We never move up to meet the ball carrier and as such they get so much momentum up, before we know it we’ve been marched back 60-70m per set. It’s so contrary to how modern rugby league is played and won - again it’s a systemic thing that needs fixing ahead of scrutiny of individual cattle.

Our guys aren’t being afforded the right environment to showcase their abilities
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Rickmando wrote: April 29, 2022, 7:22 am There’s not a single position we shouldn’t be open-minded about upgrading. But it’s pretty moot until the structure around them improves, the place needs a broom through it followed by some fresh thinking. We need to find our modern-day Tim Sheens equivalent, then give them a big say on recruitment (in that order)
My whole point entirely, absolutely no player is going to turn this trainwreck around consistently while we continue to have poor coaching and direction.

We made the grand final by assembling a good team and throwing them on the field and they hit good form, but it wasn't good coaching at all! And it certainly didn't prove to be sustainable, as well coached outfits generally prove to be.
mongoose
Glenn Lazarus

Post by mongoose »

LastRaider wrote: April 28, 2022, 8:04 pm Why do we need to find a hooker? Starling is developing nicely and at least has a go every week! We have much bigger problems in the squad than hooker!

he needs to work on his service, some of his passing is dreadful, but then the passing from all of our "ball players" is ordinary. I don't think its something Stuart bothers with....
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

mongoose wrote: April 29, 2022, 10:10 am
LastRaider wrote: April 28, 2022, 8:04 pm Why do we need to find a hooker? Starling is developing nicely and at least has a go every week! We have much bigger problems in the squad than hooker!

he needs to work on his service, some of his passing is dreadful, but then the passing from all of our "ball players" is ordinary. I don't think its something Stuart bothers with....
I genuinely don't think he bothers with anything
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

The Nickman wrote: April 29, 2022, 10:13 am
mongoose wrote: April 29, 2022, 10:10 am

I genuinely don't think he bothers with anything
Once upon a time, the Rick-clique would have savaged you for suggesting such a thing.

Shows you where we’re at. Change needed
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I'm with Botman wholeheartedly! I'm one who has said all along that we ride the Hodgo wave til the end, so losing him early was far less than ideal.

I have been very sceptical on Starlo. His passing and ruck manipulation has been proven to be lacking this yr.

I like the look of Trev, and really hope he gets a few more runs in FG this yr.

As for the options above...
Fainu is the only star on that list, and if he passes through all that court stuff, I'd be surprised if Manly let him go. That said, I'd be very happy to have him.

Verrils is ok, but also not an 80 min guy or a needle mover.

I'd say Parcel falls into the same bracket.

I like Robson, a rough and tumble guy who you can play as a running forward if/when required. He can also go 80 if required.

Jake Simpkin I don't mind. Needs more maturing in the role, but has potential.

Randall is a tackle bot if we want that.

TBH, I'd roll with Trev and Starlo over all the above bar Fainu... or Cookie if he ever left Bunnies.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Good to see Trev still around. Thought this was going to be a thread about him leaving.
I like what I've seen from Robson too, but I don't think Payten will misinterpret his value enough to just let him walk while he doesn't have a clearly superior option. Really good value for money while you develop something behind/around him.
ALX22
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by ALX22 »

Persevere with Trevilyan and also back Thorburn once fit again.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

ALX22 wrote: April 29, 2022, 7:21 pm Persevere with Trevilyan and also back Thorburn once fit again.
It sounds like the best plan really.