Cowboys 13
27%

Total votes: 11

Hillsraider
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Mark McLinden

Re: 2022 Rd 6 V Cowboys: Game Day

Post by Hillsraider »

Azza wrote: April 14, 2022, 10:14 pm I know it was a little moment but when the ball was turned over back to us and Guler picked it up and just stood still there like a stunned mullet waiting for somebody to collect it from him ... That to me summarised where we are at.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
I thought that moment was huge in the context of Emre Guler's career. Can't imagine a moment that would have pissed Ricky off more than that one
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

‘I’m only a dumb coach’: - Ricky

Must be reading the GH Forum in his spare time

It's not going to end well.
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

We have no chance of making the Top 8.
Remaining games.
Panthers A
Warriors A
Dogs H
Sharks A
Souths A
Eels H
Roosters A
Broncos H
Knights H
Dragons A
BYE
Storm A
Titans A
Panthers H
Dragons H
Knights A
Manly H
Tigers A.
The End......
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Might jag a win in the final round?
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske

Boomercm wrote: April 14, 2022, 10:49 pm
IBG wrote: April 14, 2022, 10:19 pm
IBG wrote: April 14, 2022, 10:03 pm I guarantee you Ricky will say something like "Everyone was on me to play Xavier but he showed tonight that while he has tons of potential titles he is still inexperienced and a lot to do" something like that where he will turn it around like his run over the sideline cost us the game and he was right all along. I guarantee it.
Hahahaha nailed it.

"If you're an experienced player you take the inside there but all you blokes want an X-Factor, that's why Savage hasn't played FG"

Ricky pretty smug about that one.
That's a terrible comment from Ricky if true (i've not seen). It was a soft and low probability option from Savage, but was also a soft and low probability option from the most experienced back out there (Rapana) to hand off the ball in that position.

If Rick has said that it shows where his head is at. Feels he needs to defend himself, even at the expense of his troops. Bad signs
Like as if that moment is why we lost the game.
We lost the game when the second half started.
I knew we needed to score more points in the first half with the chances we had and I knew that 12-0 wasnt enough and like clock work we lost.
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske

Sooo if Stuart was hearing the fans say play Savage then he should’ve also have heard the fans saying drop Elliot and Guler try Rushton.
Sheeesh like what were you thinking starting Frawley at Hooker ?
Stuart never owns anything on,y when we win.
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske

Sooo if Stuart was hearing the fans say play Savage then he should’ve also have heard the fans saying drop Elliot and Guler try Rushton.
Sheeesh like what were you thinking starting Frawley at Hooker ?
Stuart never owns anything on,y when we win.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

InFernos_Raiders wrote: April 15, 2022, 1:16 am We have no chance of making the Top 8.
Remaining games.
Panthers A
Warriors A
Dogs H
Sharks A
Souths A
Eels H
Roosters A
Broncos H
Knights H
Dragons A
BYE
Storm A
Titans A
Panthers H
Dragons H
Knights A
Manly H
Tigers A.
The End......
We should be 0-6

We don't deserve to make the 8 when you lose 2 games to the Cowboys. They are shockingly bad but what does it say about us? I think we will win another 5 games max. Plus the bye that makes 16 points in total

The spanner in the works is the harmony in the dressing room which could mean 0-2 wins. If 0-2 more wins from here means Ricky getting sacked or pushed to a Tim Sheens type role then I'm all for it
badsall1
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: campo

Post by badsall1 »

1. Rapana
2. Cotric
3. Wighton
4. Timoko
5. Savage
6. Schnider
7. Frawley
8. Papali
9. Trevilyan
10. Tapane (c)
11. Young
12. CHN
13. Rushton
14. Starling
15. Whitehead
16. Sutton
17. Hola
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

I think it's fair to say that out of this current team only a hand full of players are premiership type players tarps, paps, wighton, CHN.

After that the maybe are starling, rapana.

The rest of the squad are question marks. By the end the season we need to get at least a couple more players in the premiership player list or let the cull begin.
HoraceBigCigar
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Jason Croker

Post by HoraceBigCigar »

Sigh, big sigh, extra large sigh, drink to drown my sorrows and weird spiteful thanks to the time gods for giving me an extra 3 hours per week
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Ultima wrote: April 14, 2022, 11:21 pm
Northern Raider wrote: April 14, 2022, 9:59 pm
Ultima wrote: April 14, 2022, 9:57 pm 1 CNK GARBAGE!
2 Cotric useless...
3 Timoko nearly invisible.
4 Valemei bog average.
5 Rapana did alright.
6 Wighton OK, over coached.
7 Schneider Did alright, still a kid.
8 Papalii Played 20 minutes then phoned it in.
9 Starling Amazing start, then disappeared... he doesn't have the stamina for 80 minutes...
10 Tapine OK, good first 20, lazy rest of the game.
11 CHN OK.
12 Whitehead... **** atrocious!
13 Sutton OK.

14 Savage, too little too late, running out the side line was bad but he is a kid.
15 Guler Trash
16 Elliot pointless
17 Horsburgh didn't **** up...
Hard marker. Tapine 153m and 42 tackles.
Tapine did great in the first twenty, after that he really didn't make much of an impact and I expect more from a star forward. Sure, a lot of it could have been down to the crazy bench rotation, but that's still no excuse to phone it in in the second half. He made some pretty major mistakes too. FYI the bench rotation was - Tapine off in the 21st minute for Horsburgh, then back eight minutes later for Papalii which was no where near enough of a break! Started second half then off in the 58th and back in the 74th.

He was 153 from 15 runs with 74 post contact, 0 offloads, 1 error (Papalii was 159 from 16 with 77 post contact with 3 offloads no errors). Yes he made more tackles but he also missed one and had the most ineffective at three.
I can only assume you didn't watch Tapine that closely. Anybody who did would not call his effort "lazy". He had 52m in that first stint. Means the other 100m came during his "lazy" period. 13 tackles when he first came off. That makes a further 2 tackles while he was being "lazy". The only thing I can glean from this is that you and I have very different definitions of the word lazy.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

A good boss doesn’t throw “individuals” in his team under the bus, even if privately disappointed in their performance.

When has Rick ever got up at one of these things and said something like “I’m not getting enough out of the playing group as a coach”. Never.

Here’s a hot tip - when you have a boss like that who takes no accountability themselves, you start looking for new employers. I wouldn’t begrudge any player making a request to leave and play for a better boss. At least one who isn’t a giant stubborn man-child who can’t set aside his own ego and emotions for the greater good of the team.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I’m gutted.

What a horrible rugby league side. They wouldn’t beat the Canberra Cup sides.

100% completions in the first half and only completed 2 of their first 6 sets in the 2nd.

What is going on ?

12-0 up, at home, no errors and we roll over.

I’ll tell ya how bad it’s going.

The Tigers are licking their lips.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Raoul Duke
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Papalii

Post by Raoul Duke »

**** was Whitehead doing in the lead up to the Cows second try? He comes flying out of the line but doesn't go anywhere near the actual ball carrier, leaving a huge gap that the Cows stream through after Jack can't make the tackle by himself.

One of the big problems with CNK is that he is absolutely zero threat as a runner. He certainly isn't the best ball player in the world, but even when he does manage to land the pass the defensive line has already slid comfortably across because CNK never attacks the line. Can anyone remember a time he actually dummied and straightened with intent on one of those sweeping plays? You look at the way defenders watch Jack when he has the ball - you can see their body language change...there is uncertainty because Jack is an actual threat. You see it with the likes of Turbo, Teddy etc. I'm not expecting CNK to turn it up to that level...but he at least needs to have something resembling the skillset required for the position.

Although CNK is clearly out of form, he is still a good defensive fullback in terms of positioning (I'm still hopeful he can overcome the yips). I definitely think he gets into better position than Savage did on that last try. Is there a reason why we couldn't have CNK playing fullback when we are defending and Savage defending on the wing, and then let Savage play the roaming ball player role when we are in attack? Savage doesn't need to be a metre eater to play fullback, we have other backs who can do that. I feel like we have the makings of one good fullback but we need to be more creative in the way they are deployed.
Last edited by Raoul Duke on April 15, 2022, 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

What a debacle. Some thoughts:

* We don’t have the attack necessary to put points on when we dominate. With the amount of ball we had, it should have been 24-0. I still think this will come - our forwards are playing far too early and not taking the ball to the line, which makes Schneider/Wighton sitting ducks. They need to pass later, and develop the dummy and run. Variety is key for this to work. I think this will come as we have the talent and skills in the forward line for this to develop. The other issue is the speed of the spiral pass from our forwards - it needs to be crisp and quick, some of the passes are far too slow, allowing the defence to slide.
* CNK’s confidence is totally shot. He is a shadow of the player he was in 2019. Haven’t looked at his stats, but his tackle busting and run metres must be down. I think he has lost some size and strength. Hard to believe this is the same player who was arguably MOTM in the 2020 final against the Roosters. That was only 18 months ago.
* I actually agree with Stuart’s assessment of Savage, but to say that in public is an absolute disgrace. As I have mentioned before, I saw a lot of Savage at SG Ball, and nothing at that level suggested he was ready for being a fullback at NRL. He has a lot to learn, but for Stuart to say that at a press conference is crazy, even when being led by a journalist. Not good enough from an experienced coach.
* So many disappointing performances this year, but I would put Guler at the bottom of the heap. After the 2019 GF, where he produced such an impact from the bench, I really thought he would kick on. He has been horrible this season.
Mullins_y2k
Glenn Lazarus

Post by Mullins_y2k »

badsall1 wrote: April 15, 2022, 2:23 am 1. Rapana
2. Cotric
3. Wighton
4. Timoko
5. Savage
6. Schnider
7. Frawley
8. Papali
9. Trevilyan
10. Tapane (c)
11. Young
12. CHN
13. Rushton
14. Starling
15. Whitehead
16. Sutton
17. Hola
Somehow, you've made this worse!...
Raoul Duke
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Papalii

Post by Raoul Duke »

lol - anyone advocating moving Jack is off their rocker. He is our one attack threat, his execution is not always on point but he is the only player the opposition need to worry about.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

TongueFTW wrote: April 15, 2022, 7:00 am
* CNK’s confidence is totally shot. He is a shadow of the player he was in 2019. Haven’t looked at his stats, but his tackle busting and run metres must be down. I think he has lost some size and strength. Hard to believe this is the same player who was arguably MOTM in the 2020 final against the Roosters. That was only 18 months ago.
Your timeline is a little out there.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Northern Raider wrote: April 15, 2022, 7:07 am
2020 Elimination Final?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

TongueFTW wrote: April 15, 2022, 7:11 am
Northern Raider wrote: April 15, 2022, 7:07 am
2020 Elimination Final?
Right, OK. :thumbsup

Agree his form has plummeted since then. Hasn't really come back from that neck injury last year. Confidence looks shot.
Seamonkey
Glenn Lazarus

Post by Seamonkey »

It's tiring that for Ricky it still seems about effort when there's also huge problems with executing basic things. CNK was responsible for breaking down multiple attacking plays in the first half and just poor ball control in general.

Passing in general is just bad, it seems 75% of the passing plays to wingers end up forward, dropped, intercepted and the ones that make it are slow floaters that get the winger belted. Tapines face summed it up with 2 minutes to go when running his decoy line the ball gets chucked at his shoulder from 50cm away.

The amount of players in the team that are predictable for 1-2 errors a game don't exist in top 4 calibre sides.

Ricky has never been a rebuild coach doesn't have the patience to do it and thinks reserve grade is the way to develop our up and coming talent. We are at the point where he left Cronulla, Parra and the Roosters (Hodgo in his prime and Bateman bought more time than those stints). We have veterans that can't keep up and no clear plan to bring in a new generation of players. I have scary feeling we are already in "he goes" or "we go" stage of Ricky v the squad.
If you can accept losing, you cannot win.

Winning is not everything, but wanting to win is

kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Whiteheads copping it and rightly so. He's been poor
CHN had a couple of big plays with the try assist and a 1 on 1 steal but he also failed to roll the sleeves up, I wonder if he is one of the guys "taking naps"?
43 metres tonight, 25 if you take off the 18 from a kick return.
25 metres from 80minutes? I realise he's a whole running second rower but there were times when you need to roll the sleeves up and take a tough run. Also had a decent shot to stop valentine Holmes for his try but was run over by a far smaller player.
Guler is obviously one who Ricky was referring to, hard to see much to like from Emre this year, the guy doesn't realise his size and talent. Average effort on the Luki try too when he needed to stop him.

CNK is half the player he was 2 years ago. He's fallen off a cliff.
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

Rickmando wrote: April 14, 2022, 10:32 pm I actually came away from that presser feeling unexpectedly better. I don’t know how you could watch that and not see that Rick knows he’s pretty much cooked. Regardless of what moves he does or doesn’t make in the coming weeks, he looked to me like a man who is not long for the job.

He’s a proud (arrogant) man and he looked absolutely filthy that his message clearly isn’t getting through to the players this season. The inference from his repeated referral to “individuals” is that the players aren’t playing for him…
This is interesting, to me this is basically identical to pressers we've seen in previous poor seasons - particularly 2017 and 18. The pattern is always the same. He refuses to make changes for long periods, talking about how "there are plans in place", "small errors costing us" etc, and then on a dime it switches completely to being a personnel issue - "individuals not buying in" and the like. It's never a system or tactical issue, ever.

Throwing a 19 year old kid under the bus is definitely new though. The crazy part was with the way the question was phrased - i.e. focusing on Rapana - the journo actually gave Ricky an easy out. Just say, "I'd like my senior player to run the ball there" and let it go - even if you walk straight back into the sheds and tell X that you were lying through your teeth, don't publicly hang him out to dry. Very poor IMO.

To the game, I thought we really let things slip in the back end of the first half. In the modern game there are changes of momentum within nearly every match, you need to be able to punish opponents when you're on top. Effort and even completion rates can't compensate for structure, purpose and skill in attack. We're very obviously lacking in all of those departments.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Rickmando wrote: April 15, 2022, 6:41 am A good boss doesn’t throw “individuals” in his team under the bus, even if privately disappointed in their performance.

When has Rick ever got up at one of these things and said something like “I’m not getting enough out of the playing group as a coach”. Never.

Here’s a hot tip - when you have a boss like that who takes no accountability themselves, you start looking for new employers. I wouldn’t begrudge any player making a request to leave and play for a better boss. At least one who isn’t a giant stubborn man-child who can’t set aside his own ego and emotions for the greater good of the team.
Exactly.
The game was lost in the first half when we failed to properly capitalise on all our possession. Due largely to our inept attack.
There were at least a dozen people in this forum saying the same thing.
That responsibility rests with the coach.
Blaming the rookie for an error when the horse had bolted is folly.
Our attack has been ordinary to poor for years….under the same conservative and cowardly coach.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

twistedbydesign wrote: April 15, 2022, 7:26 am
Rickmando wrote: April 14, 2022, 10:32 pm I actually came away from that presser feeling unexpectedly better. I don’t know how you could watch that and not see that Rick knows he’s pretty much cooked. Regardless of what moves he does or doesn’t make in the coming weeks, he looked to me like a man who is not long for the job.

He’s a proud (arrogant) man and he looked absolutely filthy that his message clearly isn’t getting through to the players this season. The inference from his repeated referral to “individuals” is that the players aren’t playing for him…
This is interesting, to me this is basically identical to pressers we've seen in previous poor seasons - particularly 2017 and 18. The pattern is always the same. He refuses to make changes for long periods, talking about how "there are plans in place", "small errors costing us" etc, and then on a dime it switches completely to being a personnel issue - "individuals not buying in" and the like. It's never a system or tactical issue, ever.

Throwing a 19 year old kid under the bus is definitely new though. The crazy part was with the way the question was phrased - i.e. focusing on Rapana - the journo actually gave Ricky an easy out. Just say, "I'd like my senior player to run the ball there" and let it go - even if you walk straight back into the sheds and tell X that you were lying through your teeth, don't publicly hang him out to dry. Very poor IMO.

To the game, I thought we really let things slip in the back end of the first half. In the modern game there are changes of momentum within nearly every match, you need to be able to punish opponents when you're on top. Effort and even completion rates can't compensate for structure, purpose and skill in attack. We're very obviously lacking in all of those departments.
Really good post.

Just my interpretation - I agree that most of the lines trotted out we’ve definitely heard before as excuses. But I felt like the delivery was far more of a defeated man than a defiant one (the weird drive-by on Savage excepted of course, it was like you could see his eyes light up that he was given a chance to shove it in our faces).

The rest of it though, I felt like it was the body language of a man not long for the job…
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

kiwi raider wrote: April 15, 2022, 7:21 am Whiteheads copping it and rightly so. He's been poor
CHN had a couple of big plays with the try assist and a 1 on 1 steal but he also failed to roll the sleeves up, I wonder if he is one of the guys "taking naps"?
43 metres tonight, 25 if you take off the 18 from a kick return.
25 metres from 80minutes? I realise he's a whole running second rower but there were times when you need to roll the sleeves up and take a tough run. Also had a decent shot to stop valentine Holmes for his try but was run over by a far smaller player.
Guler is obviously one who Ricky was referring to, hard to see much to like from Emre this year, the guy doesn't realise his size and talent. Average effort on the Luki try too when he needed to stop him.

CNK is half the player he was 2 years ago. He's fallen off a cliff.
I had a moment to early in the game when I saw Whitehead take a really strong hit up and bend the line. I immediately thought "wow, I he'd do that more often". Then suddenly recognised that it was Sutton (forgot Whitehead wasn't wearing 13 now). That told me a standard run from Sutton was better than anything Whitehead can come up with.

Harsh reality is the NRL game seems to have passed by Whitehead. He's no longer up to this level. Hate to say it of a player that's been so good for us over the years.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The main problem as I see it is the team is not playing to win, they’re playing not to lose.

If the Raiders had come out in the second half and moved the ball around like they did against the Storm, there may have been an error or three. But the increased pressure and questions on the Cowboys would have made it much harder to wrestle momentum back.

There are players whose skills just aren’t good enough for that style, he needs to be prepared to try new players who can do it. Same with form.

I’m sure everyone’s hearts fell when the half time speech was reported about completing sets. This team cannot shut up shop at 12-0 up.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

CHN is lazy.. he's in and out of games.. doesn't like defending.. reminds me of bj
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

Rickmando wrote: April 15, 2022, 7:37 am
twistedbydesign wrote: April 15, 2022, 7:26 am

Really good post.

Just my interpretation - I agree that most of the lines trotted out we’ve definitely heard before as excuses. But I felt like the delivery was far more of a defeated man than a defiant one (the weird drive-by on Savage excepted of course, it was like you could see his eyes light up that he was given a chance to shove it in our faces).

The rest of it though, I felt like it was the body language of a man not long for the job…
You may well be on to something, mate. Definitely agree with the point about his body language, also worth noting that the press conferences in previous years that I referred to never came as early as week 6. The other interesting element of the Savage comments is that Ricky clearly implied that he thought Savage wasn't ready and that he didn't want to pick him. Putting the lack of professionalism of those comments aside for a minute (and only a minute), it does show that Ricky is feeling pressure from somewhere - be it from the media, fans or management. That's again quite different from his general demeanor IMO.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Is sabotage now out of the equation with this maniac, bye bye X.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

radicalraider wrote:CHN is lazy.. he's in and out of games.. doesn't like defending.. reminds me of bj
Show pony more concerned with his hair.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

He has CHN attacking in the centres almost every play it seems. It's ok for a sometimes move because chn will likely be bigger than the guy opposite him but every play?

Basically it's time to bring in some kids and start the rebuild. Sticks stubborn and he thinks we can make the gf with these lads but nope.

If he doesn't think savage is ready then rapana needs to go to fullback. Cnk seems mentally shot. I'd not expect better ball playing but Jordan at least can bend the line.

It's just grim

Tapine was also good. I won't be hearing that he was lazy lol. He's Usman Khawaja and he has resting sleepy face so fans assume he isn't putting in. He made that dumb error at the end of the game but overall a very strong game from him. He's a gun, make him captain.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Pete Cash wrote: April 15, 2022, 7:56 am He has CHN attacking in the centres almost every play it seems. It's ok for a sometimes move because chn will likely be bigger than the guy opposite him but every play?

Basically it's time to bring in some kids and start the rebuild. Sticks stubborn and he thinks we can make the gf with these lads but nope.

If he doesn't think savage is ready then rapana needs to go to fullback. Cnk seems mentally shot. I'd not expect better ball playing but Jordan at least can bend the line.

It's just grim

Tapine was also good. I won't be hearing that he was lazy lol. He's Usman Khawaja and he has resting sleepy face so fans assume he isn't putting in. He made that dumb error at the end of the game but overall a very strong game from him. He's a gun, make him captain.
I’d second this. Time for some regime change. I feel like Tapine would be an inspirational skipper, he’s the new leader of our pack. He was a big part of why we won the ruck battle in the first half.

Seemed like he played a lot of minutes last night too - it was great to see.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

If Ricky isn't dumb.. he'll drop whitehead CHN guler Schneider and valemai.. but he's dumb.