All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Re: Ryan Sutton signs three year deal with Bulldogs from 2023

Post by Finchy »

greeneyed wrote: March 8, 2022, 7:48 pm Bulldogs deal done for Ryan Sutton

Raiders backrower Ryan Sutton will reportedly be officially announced as a Bulldogs player within the week. The Daily Telegraph’s Brent Read says the deal has been done, with the Englishmen signing a three-year deal to join Trent Barrett’s side. “I’d expect that to be formalised in the next 48 hours, so at least this week at some point,” Read said on Triple M.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 24922feaf4
“Officially announced as a bulldogs player within the week”

For next year right? Or is he being released early?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Next year.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

kona_dream wrote: March 8, 2022, 7:56 pm Any thought that Sutton might not be in the 17 as perhaps an early release might be sort and granted to free up top 30 spot in the near term. Or is Horsburgh just simply in front of him at this stage?
I think sticky thinks hors offers more

I love Sutton and will miss him but he is a little fensom like, bit one dimensional, no real spark

Sadly the day of the workhorse is gone
Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I think Sutton was one of the best forwards last year for the Raiders. Lots of effort, very consistent, plays tight, low error counts. Good defence, almost top 10 among NRL forwards for average tackles and 90 per cent tackle efficiency.

But he doesn’t have much of a passing game, and that’s what they’re wanting from the forwards this year. In addition, he ranks fourth for NRL props with runs of eight metres or less, and 32nd for props with runs of eight metres plus. I guess that’s a complicated way of saying he ranked 15th for the lowest average metres amongst NRL props (eight). Not a lot of tackle breaks (18).
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Completely different kind of player to Fensom IMO. Fensom was too small and would get absolutely smashed taking hit ups and end up on his back. He’d also fall asleep in tackles giving away the dumbest penalties at the worst times. But he made like 50 tackles a game so everyone thought he was the bees knees. He was like Josh Jackson, overrated workhorse. Does the dirty stuff behind the scenes but he’ll never win you the game.

Sutton was more of a George Burgess type. Ran hard, tackled hard, feet for hands though.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote:I think Sutton was one of the best forwards last year for the Raiders. Lots of effort, very consistent, plays tight, low error counts. Good defence, almost top 10 among NRL forwards for average tackles and 90 per cent tackle efficiency.

But he doesn’t have much of a passing game, and that’s what they’re wanting from the forwards this year. In addition, he ranks fourth for NRL props with runs of eight metres or less, and 32nd for props with runs of eight metres plus. I guess that’s a complicated way of saying he ranked 15th for the lowest average metres amongst NRL props (eight). Not a lot of tackle breaks (18).
Yep, nailed it.

From what I've seen in the trials, his lack of a passing game doesn't fit in to what Crawley is trying to do with our attack through the middle.

Horsburgh is as frustrating as ****, but he ticks a lot of boxes at his best. The coaching staff just needs to get him fit and his head screwed on.

Sutton is great for depth this season and he'll be a solid buy for the Dogs.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi

Post by Sleek the Elite »

A player I would have prioritized to keep. Papa isn't getting any younger.

I think he's someone you could have given a starting front row spot to and relied on him to do the job to a consistently high standard. Doesn't get injured regularly like Tapine either.

A much better talent for the longer term than Guler or Big Red. Our loss but if we tried hard to keep him and he decided to go, what can you do? I reckon the club would be very disappointed to lose him. That disappointment may be reflected in his round 1 (non) selection.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Finchy wrote: March 8, 2022, 11:02 pm Completely different kind of player to Fensom IMO. Fensom was too small and would get absolutely smashed taking hit ups and end up on his back. He’d also fall asleep in tackles giving away the dumbest penalties at the worst times. But he made like 50 tackles a game so everyone thought he was the bees knees. He was like Josh Jackson, overrated workhorse. Does the dirty stuff behind the scenes but he’ll never win you the game.

Sutton was more of a George Burgess type. Ran hard, tackled hard, feet for hands though.
Sutton is nothing like George Burgess at all. Burgess was an absolute attacking beast. Sutton is a mediocre at best prop in attack.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Andymachine
David Grant
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley, Ruben Wiki

Post by Andymachine »

Sutton is an old school, tuck it under the arm kind of player. Nothing at all fancy about this game and nothing too dynamic either. He doesn't have the size to bend the line, nor the athleticism to put on a step and poke his nose through, and he doesn't have the skills/inclination to pass it. He just looks for contact and given that he gives up size to almost every other prop in the comp he takes a lot of shots. He's the kind of guy that I can see Papa pulling off a highlight reel hit on next year.

I like his effort and i like his contact in defence (one of the few Raiders who hits hard in D) but I think he's easily replaceable and it wasn't worth getting into any sort of bidding war.

"The game owes me nothing, I owe the game everything." - Alan Tongue
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

I'm not a huge fan of Sutton - he's just a good solid player.

However, he's the kind of guy that does the dirty work that allows the stars to shine. At the right price, it's that kind of player that's really important.

I don't think he'll be obviously missed, but it might be noticed most in the form of Papa and Tapine.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

julian87 wrote: March 9, 2022, 6:07 am
Finchy wrote: March 8, 2022, 11:02 pm Completely different kind of player to Fensom IMO. Fensom was too small and would get absolutely smashed taking hit ups and end up on his back. He’d also fall asleep in tackles giving away the dumbest penalties at the worst times. But he made like 50 tackles a game so everyone thought he was the bees knees. He was like Josh Jackson, overrated workhorse. Does the dirty stuff behind the scenes but he’ll never win you the game.

Sutton is nothing like George Burgess at all. Burgess was an absolute attacking beast. Sutton is a mediocre at best prop in attack.
I’m not talking about skill level or their ceiling, I’m talking about playing style. Obviously Burgess was a better player in his prime (not so much now, can’t make first grade). You can add David Klemmer to the list.

Again, not comparing ability, comparing playing style. Runs hard, tackles hard, doesn’t pass, doesn’t step. Not much variety to their game.

Obviously due to their different body shapes and sizes they had different successes with that style. Burgess could actually break the line and score tries with that style due his massive size and speed for a big guy.

Sutton’s a fair bit smaller so won’t break the line or score tries playing the same way.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

I'd more compare Sutton to the likes of Tim Grant, Scott Logan, Ben Cross, physical and strong but not overly threatening
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

‘Bitchy’: Another Raiders star’s partner tees off at club over selection snub

Kate Ford, the girlfriend of Raiders star Ryan Sutton, has taken to Instagram appearing to take a shot at Canberra coach Ricky Stuart after the English forward was left out of the club’s team for the opening round of the NRL season.

With a series of laughing-out-loud emojis, Ford re-posted a picture of the club’s Round 1 team with a caption of: “and I thought the fashion industry was b****y”.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... aafc4d445d

This really is embarrassing. The 3rd time it has happened in the last 12 months. She is entitled to her opinion but the partner of an employee slagging off their partners boss publicly is ridiculous. I'm sure Sutton was able to have an adult conversation with Stuart about his non-selection.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Maybe we'll be able to offload him early. He isn't at a Tapine level where his talent justifies the drama.
Dylan’s Raiders
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Honestly he must be embarrassed over that… I have no issues with Guler, Horse, or Elliot getting selected over him.

Elliot isn’t a comparison - he has utility value. Both horse and Guler have higher ceilings and can actually bend the line.

Sutton delivers a solid 6-7/10 each week but doesn’t bend the line or have the ability to get decent post contact metres… really annoys me that she did that, just drama we don’t need and not justified. He was named as 18th man for round 1 ****
Turbo_Raider
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Turbo_Raider »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote: March 9, 2022, 9:43 am Honestly he must be embarrassed over that… I have no issues with Guler, Horse, or Elliot getting selected over him.

Elliot isn’t a comparison - he has utility value. Both horse and Guler have higher ceilings and can actually bend the line.

Sutton delivers a solid 6-7/10 each week but doesn’t bend the line or have the ability to get decent post contact metres… really annoys me that she did that, just drama we don’t need and not justified. He was named as 18th man for round 1 ****
Nailed it. He's never bent the line, just above average squad filler IMO. An early release would be good for both parties if the bulldogs could make it work with a place in their squad. Better off getting Mooney/Rushton into the rotation given their long term prospects.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Seriously what is wrong with our players partners? What are we up to now? Three? Tapine, Papalii, and now Sutton’s missus all having a shot at the coach on social media in the past 12 months? Does this happen at any other club and I just haven’t noticed?

Are the players themselves ok with it? I’m sure they share the same sentiment and would have discussed the issue with their partner, but are they happy that the partner is then teeing-off on social media about it? They need to tell them to pull their heads in.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Finchy wrote:Seriously what is wrong with our players partners? What are we up to now? Three? Tapine, Papalii, and now Sutton’s missus all having a shot at the coach on social media in the past 12 months? Does this happen at any other club and I just haven’t noticed?

Are the players themselves ok with it? I’m sure they share the same sentiment and would have discussed the issue with their partner, but are they happy that the partner is then teeing-off on social media about it? They need to tell them to pull their heads in.
Partners who are happy to take the money from the Raiders, but not willing to support the club. It’s a very bad look for fans, the club, the players and also the partners.

She’s effectively forced Sutton to move to Sydney but is not willing to accept the consequences of that move. She wants things both ways.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Finchy wrote: March 9, 2022, 9:59 am Seriously what is wrong with our players partners? What are we up to now? Three? Tapine, Papalii, and now Sutton’s missus all having a shot at the coach on social media in the past 12 months? Does this happen at any other club and I just haven’t noticed?

Yep, well said. You would think the club would put a ban to this last year after all the destabilising it caused. Partners should not be in the position to comment on what decisions the players' boss makes. If my partner slagged off my boss on social media, it would be construed as me slagging off my boss, which would result in summary dismissal.

I don't agree with Sutton's demotion like others on this forum but it's up to him now to be professional and show the coach is wrong, and work his way back in the team. There's little to be gained by his partner venting on social media.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Her comments put the club in a difficult position. Maybe that’s what her angle is? By all reports she was the one wanting the move to Sydney, perhaps this is her way of speeding things up.

Wonder if there are any Sydney clubs with a bit of spare coin that might want him for a year.

I had him in my 17 however I appreciate we are looking to play a different style and he may not fit that. Between Hola, Mooney and Rushton I think we have reasonable depth plus we could also use a free spot to pick up someone else in a similar predicament.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

I would be happy for him to sit in the stands for the rest of the season after that little dummy spit
Seriously its not cool to have a dig at your employer or your partner's employer on social media

I also dont think being part of the fashion industry makes you an expert in league...
Vaccinated
Bigcheese
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: The Volcano

Post by Bigcheese »

I understand now why he doesn't make the metres, look at the photo!

I think Ricky should come out and say he didn't get selected because he has chicken legs and also can't pass, not because he's signed somewhere else.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Angling for an early release…
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

at least she nailed it, shouldn't do it but nailed it nonetheless. He's leagues ahead of Elliott and he's been a fantastic representative of our club.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

So all before round one we have a season ending knee injury to one of our best young stars in HSS, a regular-season ending knee injury to the solution to our halfback woes, perhaps our brightest talent in Savage demoted to NSW Cup; and now we have WAGs again having a crack at the coach on social media.

I reckon this season is circling the drain already.
Up The Milk
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Mickey_Raider wrote:So all before round one we have a season ending knee injury to one of our best young stars in HSS, a regular-season ending knee injury to the solution to our halfback woes, perhaps our brightest talent in Savage demoted to NSW Cup; and now we have WAGs again having a crack at the coach on social media.

I reckon this season is circling the drain already.
we missed the 8 and bought 1 player to solve 1 of our issues and he will miss half the season

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Ryan Sutton to the Dogs for 2023

Post by Botman »

Botman wrote: March 3, 2022, 8:05 pm Interesting subject...

If Sutton signs with the dogs, should the tie breaker go against him regarding squad selection? again i really like Sutton as a player and think he's a pretty solid bench middle forward... but if his future lies elsewhere, do we invest game time into someone like Mooney instead?
I appreciate Ricky Stuart answering this rather directly. :lol:
Shiv
Peter Jackson

Post by Shiv »

we have nothing to gain by offloading him early. We don't get the money back - its dead $$. If he sits on the sidelines as contingency for injuries etc. all the better for us. That doesn't stop the young blood coming through - just gives us depth a season. If he never gets used, all good, still no downside for us. I can't see how early release is of benefit to the raiders - or am I missing something?
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Shiv wrote: March 9, 2022, 12:40 pm we have nothing to gain by offloading him early. We don't get the money back - its dead $$. If he sits on the sidelines as contingency for injuries etc. all the better for us. That doesn't stop the young blood coming through - just gives us depth a season. If he never gets used, all good, still no downside for us. I can't see how early release is of benefit to the raiders - or am I missing something?
Part of the agreement to offload him would be that they take on some of his salary for this season. We could use that when someone else becomes available in the run up to June 30.
tommyhud9
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by tommyhud9 »

Surely even Sutton himself is embarrassed.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I assume his Mrs signed the contract on his behalf.

I also assume Horsburgh, Guler, Elliott and every other forward named in the 17 is super impressed that Mrs Sutton thinks her boyfriend is better than them.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

In future wives and girlfriends should should all be consulted prior to team selections.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Xaviers mum next to unload.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

bonehead wrote: March 9, 2022, 12:22 pm at least she nailed it, shouldn't do it but nailed it nonetheless. He's leagues ahead of Elliott and he's been a fantastic representative of our club.

I don't agree with this at all. You can compare them all you want but one is a bloke who can play NRL level at second row and lock and at a pinch could possibly cover centre in a crisis. The other is a prop only. A prop who doesn't make many metres.

This 17, with Sutton in for Elliott, would be way, way worse and tbf; stupid.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

julian87 wrote:
bonehead wrote: March 9, 2022, 12:22 pm at least she nailed it, shouldn't do it but nailed it nonetheless. He's leagues ahead of Elliott and he's been a fantastic representative of our club.

I don't agree with this at all. You can compare them all you want but one is a bloke who can play NRL level at second row and lock and at a pinch could possibly cover centre in a crisis. The other is a prop only. A prop who doesn't make many metres.

This 17, with Sutton in for Elliott, would be way, way worse and tbf; stupid.
you're entitled to your opinion which I'm more than happy to disagree wholeheartedly with.
Adam Elliott is an nrl level quality edge and middle since when? and can cover centres how? he's flat out dreadful

Edrick The Entertainer