Ricky Stuart’s rage over NRL inconsistencies

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Re: Ricky Stuart’s rage over NRL inconsistencies

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

BJ wrote: March 2, 2022, 10:27 am I think it’s an expression like “I’ll be buggered” that shouldn’t be taken too literally. Ricky didn’t mean anything by it.
I think the way he said it is far more of a visual description lol. Disturbing.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Maybe could have chosen his words better, but has it ever helped in the past?

And is he wrong in his point being made?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I’m not precious about language -I often use far worse. I’m also not coach of a football team in a competitive market competing for supporters and members.

If we are comfortable as a supporter base that this is appropriate language and leadership for our club then all power to us. But let’s not cry fowl if the AFL or other sports might be seen as a more attractive option for the ACT Government to invest in, owing to the wider demographic supporter base they attract.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Billy Walker wrote:I’m not precious about language -I often use far worse. I’m also not coach of a football team in a competitive market competing for supporters and members.

If we are comfortable as a supporter base that this is appropriate language and leadership for our club then all power to us. But let’s not cry fowl if the AFL or other sports might be seen as a more attractive option for the ACT Government to invest in, owing to the wider demographic supporter base they attract.
I don’t think rugby leagues use of language or demographic factors is an element in the ACT government’s increased focus on AFL over the last decade.

It’s purely based on AFL’s ability to connect with the Chief Minister at a sporting, social and business level. There’s no passionate Leagies amongst our government MLA’s.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

BJ wrote: March 2, 2022, 12:49 pm
Billy Walker wrote:I’m not precious about language -I often use far worse. I’m also not coach of a football team in a competitive market competing for supporters and members.

I don’t think rugby leagues use of language or demographic factors is an element in the ACT government’s increased focus on AFL over the last decade.

It’s purely based on AFL’s ability to connect with the Chief Minister at a sporting, social and business level. There’s no passionate Leagies amongst our government MLA’s.
Correct BJ - because league has always proudly been a working class game targeting a demographic of folks that communicate in similar terms as Ricky Stuart. Unless there is an effort to step into a new century league will continue to struggle to attract support from the sponsorship market that union has cornered or have strong advocates in government or other areas of society beyond the TAB.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Billy Walker wrote:

Correct BJ - because league has always proudly been a working class game targeting a demographic of folks that communicate in similar terms as Ricky Stuart. Unless there is an effort to step into a new century league will continue to struggle to attract support from the sponsorship market that union has cornered or have strong advocates in government or other areas of society beyond the TAB.
Campo, Alan Tongue and Todd Carney to run at the next ACT election.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

BJ wrote: March 2, 2022, 1:36 pm
Billy Walker wrote:

Campo just ran at the recent Qbn council election and didn’t get up. Conversely former Geelong player and Freemantle AFL coach Damian Drum is a Federal MP, former Victorian premier Jeff Kennett is the Hawthorn AFL President - it’s a long list…
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Billy Walker wrote: March 2, 2022, 12:22 pm I’m not precious about language -I often use far worse. I’m also not coach of a football team in a competitive market competing for supporters and members.

One minute you're all Mrs Lovejoy 'won't someone think of the children', nek minnut you admit you use worse language......stuff your family hears. Same with most kids in every family, or at any school....and at the game.

This isn't a personal shot at you mate, but let's call it as we see it. Ricky is capable of saying far worse!!
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

dubby wrote: March 2, 2022, 3:49 pm
Billy Walker wrote: March 2, 2022, 12:22 pm I’m not precious about language -I often use far worse. I’m also not coach of a football team in a competitive market competing for supporters and members.

One minute you're all Mrs Lovejoy 'won't someone think of the children', nek minnut you admit you use worse language......stuff your family hears. Same with most kids in every family, or at any school....and at the game.

This isn't a personal shot at you mate, but let's call it as we see it. Ricky is capable of saying far worse!!
Dub - you don’t see the difference between the language and presentation that people might use in our personal dealings and standards they should hold to in positions of leadership?

I’ve no doubt every politician, community and business leader in the country drops a swear word or two in private settings, but I also believe it is more than reasonable that we would expect them to operate to a much higher standard when representing their respective organisations.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Billy Walker wrote: But let’s not cry fowl
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gangrenous wrote: March 2, 2022, 6:51 pm
Billy Walker wrote: But let’s not cry fowl
:lol: Well played. Damn auto-correct….
Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

A colourful metaphor that got a result . Onya Rick, the Poet Laureate of Captains Flat
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Why are we still talking about this? Ricky did it to get a result, he got a result. Nobody **** cares if you think he was too rude about it, least of all Ricky. Move on lmao
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

‘It pisses me off’: Canberra Raiders star Jordan Rapana backs Ricky’s rant over NRL suspension backflip

Raiders flyer Jordan Rapana has backed Canberra coach Ricky Stuart and called on the NRL to tidy up its rules around suspensions for the NRL All Stars game.

“where it pisses me off is don’t say ‘no’ to me and then two weeks later change the rule again. Where’s the consistency in that? Just make it black and white. That’s why I understand why Stick (Raiders coach Ricky Stuart) was pissed off.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 940608174a

Canberra Raiders' treatment from NRL a 'kick in the face': Jordan Rapana

Jordan Rapana says the way the NRL has handled the All Stars suspension debacle is a kick in the face to the Raiders and backs up the perception the ACT club gets treated poorly compared with others.

"For [the NRL] to have it in writing and set as a rule, and then two weeks later change it on certain other players it's a kick in the face to us Raiders boys."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

BJ wrote: March 2, 2022, 1:36 pm
Billy Walker wrote:

Is Todd Carney running on a program of recycling ..... I can hear his supporters chanting 'Urophagia For Ever, Urophagia For Ever, Urophagia For Ever, Urophagia passes on.' I may have misspelt a vowel there .... :arrow:
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

For everyone saying "Ricky did it to get a result, he got a result", did I miss something? What result did he get? Did the NRL apologise and allow Jordy to come back early? If not, I'm not sure what it achieved other than having a public whinge.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Finchy wrote: March 3, 2022, 6:49 pm For everyone saying "Ricky did it to get a result, he got a result", did I miss something? What result did he get? Did the NRL apologise and allow Jordy to come back early? If not, I'm not sure what it achieved other than having a public whinge.
All that’s happened so far is that the NRL has issued this two line statement to the media, attributed to Andrew Abdo:

"We are currently reviewing the rules to ensure greater consistency moving forward and those enhancements will be presented to the [ARL] Commission for consideration."

This story today suggests that Abdo is actually the source of the problem.

NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo used his discretionary powers to retrospectively allow Melbourne Storm hooker Brandon Smith and New Zealand Warriors fullback Reece Walsh to use the All Stars game as part of their suspensions for off-field incidents. But that came after the NRL told the Raiders - in writing - they couldn't do the same for Rapana's one-game ban for drink driving.

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

So basically, the NRL **** up
Stuart put out some... coulourful words in the media expressing his disgust...

the NRL conceded the point and have committed to putting something in place to ensure it doesnt happen again.
That's the result. He held them to account and so change will occur.

Suspensions have to be served, they cant just say "ahh it's ok Jordy, we'll pretend the shoulder charges didnt happen" and nor can they say "Sorry Walshy and Smithy, i know we told you could serve those suspensions but we **** up, so it doesnt count now"... well i mean i guess they could do either of those things but it would be even more farcical than the current situation. The NRL are taking the L and have committed to fixing it
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Until the next time the NRL make a different stupidly inconsistent decision that disadvantages the Raiders in new and different ways.

If the Roosters lose a trial game because of trainer interference or a changed 6 again call watch the NRL change the rules.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

I think this shows how little abdo knows about what is happening within the game he is supposed to be running.

He should of known Raps was in the same boat as latrel and smith and checked if the raiders had made the same request BEFORE approval of the other 2.

To me it shows how influenced he is by the power clubs.

And yes he can now say sorry latrel and smithy I was wrong you can't play, I made a mistake

In relation to Ricky's language, I had no problem with it. You hear worse in parliament

I think its like everything else, you cant put 1990's morals and expectations on a 2022 situation.

Its like Home and Away, 1990's the worse thing that happened was Sally had chicken pox and nearly misssed a John Farnham concert, now people are murdering people and putting them in the boot of a car. Its still PG rated but rightly or wrongly we accept more as a society then we did before
Vaccinated
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

greeneyed wrote: March 3, 2022, 7:31 pm
Finchy wrote: March 3, 2022, 6:49 pm For everyone saying "Ricky did it to get a result, he got a result", did I miss something? What result did he get? Did the NRL apologise and allow Jordy to come back early? If not, I'm not sure what it achieved other than having a public whinge.
All that’s happened so far is that the NRL has issued this two line statement to the media, attributed to Andrew Abdo:

"We are currently reviewing the rules to ensure greater consistency moving forward and those enhancements will be presented to the [ARL] Commission for consideration."

This story today suggests that Abdo is actually the source of the problem.

NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo used his discretionary powers to retrospectively allow Melbourne Storm hooker Brandon Smith and New Zealand Warriors fullback Reece Walsh to use the All Stars game as part of their suspensions for off-field incidents. But that came after the NRL told the Raiders - in writing - they couldn't do the same for Rapana's one-game ban for drink driving.

My biggest issue here is the concept that both players were going to picked for all stars game. Latrel yes but not necessarily Smith

Does that mean next season anyone who can identify as either Maori or Indigenous can have a week off any suspension they have left over from last season?

What about mid season? Get a week off suspension for state of origin if you are either from nsw or qld? Because technically anyone from those states can get picked, is Toots likely to be picked? No but they could pick him....

Same for any test matches, is Adam Elliott likely to be picked to play for Australia? No but he is eligible so he could be so take a week off if he is on suspension during that time?
Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I do think it’s a little ironic that Jordan Rapana goes to Sydney to represent as captain at the non NRL season launch… I guess it was a photo and media op instead… then proceeds to tell all the journos that the NRL ****** him off!
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

I can’t believe this has not been rectified. How can the NRL provide a decision in writing and then do a 180 on that decision for others and not try and rectify the original **** up?

This is embarrassing amateur hour from NRL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I think it is embarrassing that neither the coach or player can pass comment on this issue without using crass language. It has all the characteristics of a tantrum.

Also has Jordan Rapana made any comments or showed any remorse for the stupidity of his actions to drive a vehicle while over the limit? I hope I just missed it, because it would be very poor form if he just ignored the incident that lead to his suspension before he started teeing of on the injustice of his suspension.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Billy Walker wrote: March 4, 2022, 6:24 am I think it is embarrassing that neither the coach or player can pass comment on this issue without using crass language. It has all the characteristics of a tantrum.

Also has Jordan Rapana made any comments or showed any remorse for the stupidity of his actions to drive a vehicle while over the limit? I hope I just missed it, because it would be very poor form if he just ignored the incident that lead to his suspension before he started teeing of on the injustice of his suspension.
It's the way sports media has gone in the past 10 years though, with regards to Rapa's language. Plenty of direct quotes in American sports with swearing in them, we're just a few years behind but you can be sure that'll catch on here. Ironically, I think Stuart's language probably would have been a bigger issue over there.

I think there were some statements of remorse at the time from Rapa but yeah hard to claim you're hard done by when driving over the limit. He's getting the suspension he deserves really.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

cat wrote:I think this shows how little abdo knows about what is happening within the game he is supposed to be running.

He should of known Raps was in the same boat as latrel and smith and checked if the raiders had made the same request BEFORE approval of the other 2.

To me it shows how influenced he is by the power clubs.

And yes he can now say sorry latrel and smithy I was wrong you can't play, I made a mistake

In relation to Ricky's language, I had no problem with it. You hear worse in parliament

I think its like everything else, you cant put 1990's morals and expectations on a 2022 situation.

Its like Home and Away, 1990's the worse thing that happened was Sally had chicken pox and nearly misssed a John Farnham concert, now people are murdering people and putting them in the boot of a car. Its still PG rated but rightly or wrongly we accept more as a society then we did before
To be fair, she was the only person in the 90s to miss the opportunity to see Johnny Farnham in concert. That's pretty intense.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote:I do think it’s a little ironic that Jordan Rapana goes to Sydney to represent as captain at the non NRL season launch… I guess it was a photo and media op instead… then proceeds to tell all the journos that the NRL ****** him off!
The Canberra Raiders at their finest.

Sending Rapana as our club representative to such an event is a diplomatic masterstroke.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: March 4, 2022, 7:00 am It's the way sports media has gone in the past 10 years though, with regards to Rapa's language. Plenty of direct quotes in American sports with swearing in them, we're just a few years behind but you can be sure that'll catch on here. Ironically, I think Stuart's language probably would have been a bigger issue over there.
Yep, im afraid the pearl clutcher's are in for a rough time on the "crass language" front.
Swearing just doesn't hold anything close to the same aura of crassness that it once did. For better or worse, it's just kind of part of the language now, and that will only continue to grow. Add in sports people being willing and open about expressing their honest thoughts rather than talk in cliches, and that grows by the year too
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Rick wrote:I can’t believe this has not been rectified. How can the NRL provide a decision in writing and then do a 180 on that decision for others and not try and rectify the original **** up?

This is embarrassing amateur hour from NRL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There seems to have been a dozen changes to the suspension rules over the past 20 years.

Every CEO has a crack depending on who is getting suspended and what it was for.... On field incident vs off field incident. The 'value' of trial games vs rep games vs finals games. Is the player also injured? Has the player also been internally suspended by the club (like Rapana)? Everyone has their opinion on how these things should work.

Then you throw into the mix the discretionary powers of the judiciary or the NRL itself in handing out penalties for off field incidents.

It will always be a crapshoot.

The only certainty is that whatever 'rules' are put in place by Abdo, they will ultimately be changed again by the next person.

Last edited by Seiffert82 on March 4, 2022, 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: March 3, 2022, 8:01 pm Until the next time the NRL make a different stupidly inconsistent decision that disadvantages the Raiders in new and different ways.

If the Roosters lose a trial game because of trainer interference or a changed 6 again call watch the NRL change the rules.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Billy Walker wrote: March 4, 2022, 6:24 am I think it is embarrassing that neither the coach or player can pass comment on this issue without using crass language. It has all the characteristics of a tantrum.

I think it's embarassing that you are still going on about this. nobody cares about "decorum" except for people stuck in the old days like yourself that are afraid of upending the status quo. It's the same type of attitude that the pearl clutchers had when Grace Tame refused to make eye contact with the PM. Respect is something that is earnt, it is not guarunteed. Particularly with the news coming out that Abodo make the call himself without any regard of the implications or consequences of what it would cause the Raiders have every right to be upset about it and can express that in any way they choose.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Ironic that the Greenhouse is saying there is nothing wrong with what Ricky said when you couldn’t actually quote what Ricky said on the Greenhouse without censoring asterisks. :hmmm :hmmm :hmmm :hmmm
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Get ****. The stick should have taken it further and suprised he didnt bring up the GF. We have been **** up the **** big time with a baseball bat, it is what it is.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Billy is having an off day, he will come good, i have no fear of that.

This place is woke.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Question wrote: March 4, 2022, 1:44 pm Get ****. The stick should have taken it further and suprised he didnt bring up the GF. We have been **** up the **** big time with a baseball bat, it is what it is.

Ok Q, I admit that made me laugh so hard I nearly fell off my moral high horse but I’m digging in on this one. Won’t somebody think of the children???