ASX madness

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: ASX madness

Post by Botman »

TR's Family and the GH community in unision...

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I love you all

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I care
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

dubby wrote:I care
You beautiful human, you

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

dubby wrote:I care
Suck up

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

VDHG is good.

You won't get 400% out of it in the short term, but unlike with 'play money' you can chuck large amounts of 'real' money at it and just watch it relentlessly grow (incl. reinvestment of distributions) over the medium to long term.

The miracle of compound growth. I wish I'd discovered ETFs back in the days I was saving for a deposit.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Boring.

LKE broke 250% on Friday. FFX next.

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

AMC and GME.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Lithium stocks gone mad.

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

ASX madness

Post by Sid »

I’m looking at starting to invest with the general plan being to Dollar Cost Average into index/ETF’s <dodges rotten tomatoes thrown by T_R>

Which online brokers are you guys using? Most common I see pop up are CMC, SelfWealth and Vanguard
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I went into a managed investment portfolio. If you get a good financial investment company, they interview you systematically to determine your risk profile, then manage the portfolio mix by class. They produce a great mix of assets, with a spread of investments from very low risk to growth assets. They shift it to market conditions. Even when the market tanks I’ve never taken a loss overall (so far)… and because I’ve got a reasonable share in growth assets, I’m way, way ahead of where I started. Maximised the tax effectiveness by putting as much as I could into super.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Just give me all your money, ive got some good mail.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: February 20, 2022, 10:58 am I went into a managed investment portfolio. If you get a good financial investment company, they interview you systematically to determine your risk profile, then manage the portfolio mix by class. They produce a great mix of assets, with a spread of investments from very low risk to growth assets. They shift it to market conditions. Even when the market tanks I’ve never taken a loss overall (so far)… and because I’ve got a reasonable share in growth assets, I’m way, way ahead of where I started. Maximised the tax effectiveness by putting as much as I could into super.
that's what we've done this year... it's not very fun. i havent looked at it in months... might not look it in for years... but it'll come out in the wash. We'll get the long term results. But it does lack the unbridled fun of gambling on some random three digit stock... i hope in 20 years time we'll have built enough wealth for my wife to let me engage in this hog wild TR stuff, i have FOMO about it :lol:
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Botman wrote: February 20, 2022, 8:29 pm
greeneyed wrote: February 20, 2022, 10:58 am I went into a managed investment portfolio. If you get a good financial investment company, they interview you systematically to determine your risk profile, then manage the portfolio mix by class. They produce a great mix of assets, with a spread of investments from very low risk to growth assets. They shift it to market conditions. Even when the market tanks I’ve never taken a loss overall (so far)… and because I’ve got a reasonable share in growth assets, I’m way, way ahead of where I started. Maximised the tax effectiveness by putting as much as I could into super.
that's what we've done this year... it's not very fun. i havent looked at it in months... might not look it in for years... but it'll come out in the wash. We'll get the long term results. But it does lack the unbridled fun of gambling on some random three digit stock... i hope in 20 years time we'll have built enough wealth for my wife to let me engage in this hog wild TR stuff, i have FOMO about it :lol:
I hit 92% returns.....on paper. Then Putin started licking his lips and eyeing off Kyiv.

Currently on 52%. Nice, but a bit of a comedown.

Doing well on my Cuban offshore oil exploration company, but my Alaskan speculative helium mine has come off a bit.

Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Question wrote:Just give me all your money, ive got some good mail.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Your return on Sportsbet doesn't seem overly promising Image

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

You guys have got to try jaaimsapp.com. Only way to buy shares

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Sid wrote: February 20, 2022, 9:35 am I’m looking at starting to invest with the general plan being to Dollar Cost Average into index/ETF’s <dodges rotten tomatoes thrown by T_R>

Which online brokers are you guys using? Most common I see pop up are CMC, SelfWealth and Vanguard
Late reply, but I use Stake. $3 CHESS trades, regardless of size - won't beat that. Their ASX offering is relatively new, they were doing US-only not too long ago.

Not as feature-rich as some other brokers that charge a premium, but if you don't need any of that extra junk and just want to maximise earnings I don't think there's any better options (CHESS options, at least).

You also currently get free trades for a year when you transfer your $1,000+ portfolio in.

I transferred from SelfWealth, which is probably the next best CHESS option price-wise, but their app is (or at least was) a flaming dumpster fire... enough to make me do something about it and take my business elsewhere - thing just didn't work consistently. Their 'social' features that can't be turned off are also pretty annoying; repeatedly rating your portfolio against other users'. I'd get emails all the time telling me I'm in the top 30%, bottom 50%, etc, of users for performance.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Sterlk wrote:
Sid wrote: February 20, 2022, 9:35 am I’m looking at starting to invest with the general plan being to Dollar Cost Average into index/ETF’s <dodges rotten tomatoes thrown by T_R>

Late reply, but I use Stake. $3 CHESS trades, regardless of size - won't beat that. Their ASX offering is relatively new, they were doing US-only not too long ago.

Not as feature-rich as some other brokers that charge a premium, but if you don't need any of that extra junk and just want to maximise earnings I don't think there's any better options (CHESS options, at least).

You also currently get free trades for a year when you transfer your $1,000+ portfolio in.

I transferred from SelfWealth, which is probably the next best CHESS option price-wise, but their app is (or at least was) a flaming dumpster fire... enough to make me do something about it and take my business elsewhere - thing just didn't work consistently. Their 'social' features that can't be turned off are also pretty annoying; repeatedly rating your portfolio against other users'. I'd get emails all the time telling me I'm in the top 30%, bottom 50%, etc, of users for performance.
Thanks Sterlk. I ended up going with SelfWealth back then. From memory there was something to do with a currency conversion fee that turned me off Stake, but worthwhile looking into again. Yeah, I also have no interest in that socials side of the SelfWealth app either.

I should get out of the habit of checking the app to see the price changes as often as I have been out of boredom/interest Image

Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Sid wrote: July 27, 2022, 1:44 pm
Sterlk wrote:

Thanks Sterlk. I ended up going with SelfWealth back then. From memory there was something to do with a currency conversion fee that turned me off Stake, but worthwhile looking into again. Yeah, I also have no interest in that socials side of the SelfWealth app either.

I should get out of the habit of checking the app to see the price changes as often as I have been out of boredom/interest Image

The currency conversion thing is when you put money in a US wallet to trade on Wall St. If you're putting AUD in to trade on the ASX, that's free - the only thing I've ever paid is the $3 trade fee.

It'll vary based on your bank, but I find my transfers in are a lot quicker, too. Same day, as opposed to next day or two as was the case with SelfWealth. My bank has a rather low cap for instant transfers unfortunately, so any sum worth doing a trade on has to go through the old system, from before Osko was a thing.