Canberra Raiders' Joe Tapine still considering COVID vaccine options

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Re: How COVID turned Christmas Grinch for English Raider Ryan Sutton

Post by gangrenous »

Billy Walker wrote:He looks fairly skinny there. I hope some people on here won’t be too outraged he chose to tell us something we apparently don’t need to know anything about :hmmm :lol:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: How COVID turned Christmas Grinch for English Raider Ryan Sutton

Post by Billy Walker »

Don’t be so hard on yourself Gangers - we all have the odd bad take on things. You’ll get there mate ;)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders boss Don Furner says NRL could allow coaches to reach beyond top 30

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders boss Don Furner says NRL could allow coaches to reach beyond top 30

The ARLC is poised to clear coaches to call on players outside their top 30 in a pre-emptive strike against COVID-19 with clubs prepared to be hit by the virus this season.

"They're telling us the commission will come up with a system whereby you can drag players outside the top 30 to fill in after a certain amount of rounds and after receiving some positives, which won't be included in the salary cap. That's obviously needing to be put in place, we haven't got it yet. Speaking with coaches, I think the NRL realised it's a must this year to make sure we can get through 24 games.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

COVID forces Raiders to cancel 40 Year Anniversary Celebration and Season Launch: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/12 ... on-launch/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders boss Don Furner says NRL could allow coaches to reach beyond top 30

Post by greeneyed »

Unspecified number of players tested positive to COVID over the break, but all have now returned to training. Two yet to be vaccinated. Raiders must test 50 staff every day, have enough RATs for months and months. Have had to cancel school visits as well as season launch. Full crowds allowed at present at Canberra Stadium. Four players to be admitted to Canberra Raiders Hall of Fame, function will now take place in middle of the year.
ALX22
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by ALX22 »

Anyone who plays for your SG Ball, Jersey Flegg or NSW Cup should be eligible to play if necessary.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

ALX22 wrote: January 27, 2022, 6:25 pm Anyone who plays for your SG Ball, Jersey Flegg or NSW Cup should be eligible to play if necessary.
Be more interesting if clubs were only allowed to draw on members of their supporter forums beyond the top 30.
ALX22
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by ALX22 »

Billy Walker wrote: January 27, 2022, 8:12 pm
ALX22 wrote: January 27, 2022, 6:25 pm Anyone who plays for your SG Ball, Jersey Flegg or NSW Cup should be eligible to play if necessary.
Be more interesting if clubs were only allowed to draw on members of their supporter forums beyond the top 30.
Are you a back?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

ALX22 wrote: January 27, 2022, 10:53 pm
Billy Walker wrote: January 27, 2022, 8:12 pm
Are you a back?
I’m slow, have bad knees, don’t compete well under the high ball anymore and haven’t put my shoulder into a tackle for years. So yeah, I can think of at least one backline position where I’d be a like for like swap :roflmao
BJ
Steve Walters

Canberra Raiders boss Don Furner says NRL could allow coaches to reach beyond top 30

Post by BJ »

I think the NRL should maintain a select squad of Covid backups to farm out to teams as required.

Pay the likes of Dunamis Lui, Gerard Beale and Rylee Jacks decent money to remain fit enough to slot in where and when required. It will cost less than having to reschedule games and move match locations.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

BJ wrote: January 28, 2022, 9:25 am I think the NRL should maintain a select squad of Covid backups to farm out to teams as required.

Pay the likes of Dunamis Lui, Gerard Beale and Rylee Jacks decent money to remain fit enough to slot in where and when required. It will cost less than having to reschedule games and move match locations.
After a few minutes of thought, i actually quite like that idea... you could pretty easily cobble together 20 guys on the outer right now, who would be willing to be paid the NRL minimum wage by the NRL and act as league wide fillers on a need basis first in best dressed. 110k 20-30 players, that's a nice 3million dollar insurance policy.

Gives the players another year of salary and potential opportunity to prove to the NRL they still have something to offer at this level, and allows the NRL and clubs some additional covid coverage to try and play the schedule out on time.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We don’t need to do that, in my view. We have more than enough young players who deserve a shot in first grade. Better to give them experience. We’ve got 37 players on our list of development, training and Flegg players. No NSW Cup squad has been announced, but perhaps there’s some other contracted players as well.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Agree with GE that BJ’s pool player idea isn’t necessary but it’s an interesting concept and possibly and opportunity to innovate a little and see if we can’t come up with something good out of an otherwise crappy situation. I can see issues with it thought
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: January 28, 2022, 10:15 am We don’t need to do that, in my view. We have more than enough young players who deserve a shot in first grade. Better to give them experience. We’ve got 37 players on our list of development, training and Flegg players. No NSW Cup squad has been announced, but perhaps there’s some other contracted players as well.
Look, you'd treat it like any other insurance
You pay it and hope to never use it... as you say, with all the players in a club, it shouldn't be required. But we've seen this in other sports, it can really rip through a club and wipe out a **** ton of guys very quickly

If you spent 3m on 25 players for the year and never deployed them anywhere, when you consider the season for the NRL is worth hundreds of millions, and the cost of postponements etc... i dont think that'd be a bad 3mil to spend.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: January 28, 2022, 11:19 am
greeneyed wrote: January 28, 2022, 10:15 am We don’t need to do that, in my view. We have more than enough young players who deserve a shot in first grade. Better to give them experience. We’ve got 37 players on our list of development, training and Flegg players. No NSW Cup squad has been announced, but perhaps there’s some other contracted players as well.
Look, you'd treat it like any other insurance
You pay it and hope to never use it... as you say, with all the players in a club, it shouldn't be required. But we've seen this in other sports, it can really rip through a club and wipe out a **** ton of guys very quickly

If you spent 3m on 25 players for the year and never deployed them anywhere, when you consider the season for the NRL is worth hundreds of millions, and the cost of postponements etc... i dont think that'd be a bad 3mil to spend.
But if we're going for players who don't have an NRL club, they probably would still have to be playing NSW or Queensland Cup somewhere... I'm not seeing the difference between just bringing in NSW Cup players. Rugby league is not like US sports or even the BBL. We have layer on layer of lower grades. The Raiders will have NSW Cup, Jersey Flegg... and if things get really desperate, there will be veterans playing the next level down (eg Canberra Raiders Cup). Every club has a NSW Cup or Queensland Cup team affiliated to them, at least one.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

I prefer the concept of a ‘covid emergency contract’.

Our first priority is to fill spaces from within 37 players. If unable to fill positions from that group, a team is able to contract a player from NSW cup or QLD cup (uncontracted to another NRL club) to fill the role for a 30 day period.

This prioritises use of our own players, but creates the ability to source an emergency player to fill in for a period. For example, if 4 of our hookers get covid, we can fill in for a couple of weeks until they are cleared from protocol.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

If you're late in the season and the 'rona wipes out half your team in a critical game, it might be nice to have some players who know what they're doing at an NRL level to come in a spot start, rather than some kid from SG Ball's whos development trajectory is a year away from being a year away, or some guy from Canberra Cup who's absolutely washed up or was never close to being good enough to begin with.

I dont think the NRL will do it, but i think the idea has plenty of merit and would be a reasonable insurance policy for the league.
the money it would cost is but a drop in the ocean, and the more things in place to help prevent potential delays to the competition the better imo
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

But I don't see where you get the players from? If they're any good, and if they're going to be match ready (because they've been playing games) they're going to be playing NSW or Queensland Cup. I don't get the purpose of the NRL paying anything for a pool of players that already exists at the clubs.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The point is that pool of players at the clubs could conceivably be wiped out very quickly with this thing, leaving a club having to field a team that simply can not be competitive. We've seen that across many sports in the world. It would be foolish to think it can't happen to us.

Having warm bodies to fill spots is fairly bloody pointless if they're not capable of being competitive.

There is a ton of guys with NRL experience playing in NSW Cup or QLD Cup who aren't directly affiliated with NRL clubs and have no NRL contract. And plenty of them are better than guys on the rosters right now, but for reasons (mostly age related, lets be honest) are not wanted by NRL teams.

They can even keeping playing out of those lower level teams, it's just they would essentially paid by the NRL to be "on call" and sent to spot fill for any team in the league that requires them. Push comes to shove and the Raiders need a half in a must win game, you reckon a coach would rather have someone with some NRL experience like Ryles Jack play a game, or drag Terry Campese's raggedy **** off Seiffert Oval/pluck some 17 year old kid who's not close to being NRL standard yet into the game?

I think it would add an extra layer of protection on the league myself. For the price it would take, it seems worth considering imo
But you don't like the idea. No one is saying you have to like it. It's fine, GE. Really it is! :lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Given Ryley Jacks will be playing for Featherstone in England... it would be tough to organise. But say Featherstone was playing in Australia and he was available to the Raiders... what would we have done to merit calling on him? We've done nothing to support Featherstone. And then what about the integrity of the competition? What if two clubs need Ryley? Who decides who gets him? One team gets him and wins and it makes the difference in finishing in the top eight? The other team loses and misses... I get it that loans happened last year, but it really didn't sit well with me. I personally think that clubs should ensure they have pathway clubs and players they can call on if need be... even if the individual players aren't contracted to the NRL club.

In any case, I do understand it's OK for me not to like the idea and express a view as to why. It's a forum. That's what happens. It really is OK! :)
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

First in, first served. Simple.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

My thoughts about a Covid replacement squad was that they would have to follow much of the coronavirus restrictions through the season. In my mind I thought maybe 10 players would be enough to cover the majority of situations.

I know clubs have big squads, but I don’t know how viable it is for 160 players across all the teams to follow protocols and restrictions when they’re not all that likely to get a game.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Can see where you’re coming from with that BJ, but the “bubble” is not not going to be as tight going forward. For a lower grade player it should be, follow sensible precautions, and if you’re needed, have a RATs and you’re in.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Players used to play with the flu and a cold, i reckon it should be let ripped thru the league as a whole.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
This place is woke.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Question wrote: January 28, 2022, 3:51 pm Players used to play with the flu and a cold, i reckon it should be let ripped thru the league as a whole.

I reckon you’ll find it most likely has. Young blokes with big social lives. I’d be surprised if 30% haven’t had it, I’d expect 50% and wouldn’t be shocked if it’s higher.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Are all NSW cup sides affiliated with an NRL team?

The Raiders obviously will have their own NSW cup team next year, couldn’t we form a loose link with another NSW cup team and if the need arises promote from within their ranks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

RTW wrote: January 28, 2022, 8:27 pm Are all NSW cup sides affiliated with an NRL team?

The Raiders obviously will have their own NSW cup team next year, couldn’t we form a loose link with another NSW cup team and if the need arises promote from within their ranks.

The Raiders, Panthers, Dragons, Eels, Bulldogs, Knights, Panthers all have their own NSW Cup team. The Newtown Jets are linked to the Sharks, Mounties to the Bulldogs, North Sydney Bears to the Roosters, Western Suburbs Magpies to the Wests Tigers (other way around really), Blacktown Sea Eagles to Manly Sea Eagles. No teams are unaffiliated.

All the lower tier Sydney clubs are district clubs in NRL club zones. They have strong links to their NRL teams eg Wentworthville and Cabramatta to Parramatta, St Marys and Windsor to Penrith etc. The Raiders finally decided to put their own team back in NSW Cup, as there were no other options, even among lower tier clubs. The Raiders are best building the strength of the Canberra Raiders Cup, in my view, which they’ve been doing well for some time.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra pair still unvaccinated as season creeps closer

The Canberra Raiders have confirmed that a pair of players on their roster are still to be vaccinated just six-weeks out from the commencement of the 2022 NRL season. Given Ricky Stuart's side are set to travel to Townsville to face the Cowboys in Round 2, the anonymous duo will be on the clock ahead of March 19.

"That's D-day for us, and we'll talk to them leading into that," Furner stated bluntly.

Read more: https://www.zerotackle.com/canberra-pai ... er-113336/
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Big **** deal, play ball.

This place is woke.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Might want to be talking to them soon - what’s the time between 1st and 2nd shot? If we are 7 weeks away from the Cows game in QLD. Also if anyone has resisted this long I reckon there is a fair chance it’s not happening
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Billy Walker wrote:Might want to be talking to them soon - what’s the time between 1st and 2nd shot? If we are 7 weeks away from the Cows game in QLD. Also if anyone has resisted this long I reckon there is a fair chance it’s not happening
Milk out the cash until the season starts.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

RTW wrote: January 28, 2022, 8:27 pm Are all NSW cup sides affiliated with an NRL team?

GE is right on this one. All NRL teams have an affiliation with a NSW or Qld Cup team and similarly all NSW and Qld Cup teams with the exception of the PNG team, are aligned to a NRL team. Underneath that, in both competitions there is an Under 21s competition.

Therefore all the next best players are already in the system. One advantage is these teams don’t spend a lot of time with the NRL top squad outside of game day, so there is less chance that both squads will be affected.
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

Are Mounties still with the Dogs ( even though dogs have got a NSW cup team)?
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

RTW wrote: January 30, 2022, 9:51 pm Are Mounties still with the Dogs ( even though dogs have got a NSW cup team)?
The Dogs reserves are going to be split between their own reserves and Mounties in 2022, then entirely a stand alone team in 2023.

Seems to me that Gould wanted them to have their own team but they had a contract with Mounties for this year.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

greeneyed wrote: January 29, 2022, 12:48 am Canberra pair still unvaccinated as season creeps closer

The Canberra Raiders have confirmed that a pair of players on their roster are still to be vaccinated just six-weeks out from the commencement of the 2022 NRL season. Given Ricky Stuart's side are set to travel to Townsville to face the Cowboys in Round 2, the anonymous duo will be on the clock ahead of March 19.

"That's D-day for us, and we'll talk to them leading into that," Furner stated bluntly.

Read more: https://www.zerotackle.com/canberra-pai ... er-113336/
Not too worried as Papa now has it. He and Cnk are pretty much the only consistent players in the squad so if we were missing him we'd be in big trouble.
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

Bay53 wrote:
RTW wrote: January 30, 2022, 9:51 pm Are Mounties still with the Dogs ( even though dogs have got a NSW cup team)?
The Dogs reserves are going to be split between their own reserves and Mounties in 2022, then entirely a stand alone team in 2023.

Seems to me that Gould wanted them to have their own team but they had a contract with Mounties for this year.
Thanks