NFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: NFL Thread

Post by gerg »

Not sure the officials can be blamed Matt. They probably had enough time for two chances at a hail Mary... but he runs it.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Matt knows. He's just looking for an outlet. What he really wants is a hug.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

But who honestly wants to hug a Cowboys fan. That's absurd mate
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

This NFL coaching and GM hiring cycle has been very strange
Usually by now there is a few hires already made... feels like teams are making a concerted effort to take their time and not be rushed into hiring a guy in case he gets another offer.

Which i applaud but it's very strange.
I would think the Daboll domino will fall shortly now the Bills are out.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Could be because there's a lot of candidates and a lot of positions available. All parties taking a bit more time in making decisions. If Daboll had already committed to a role I expect that announcement soon. He appears to be one to the more sought after candidates.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: January 25, 2022, 7:58 pm Could be because there's a lot of candidates and a lot of positions available. All parties taking a bit more time in making decisions. If Daboll had already committed to a role I expect that announcement soon. He appears to be one to the more sought after candidates.
He'd be my top target. He was my top target last year before he just flatly declined to interview with the eagles :cry:
Think he'll have 2-3 teams willing to hire him, so it'll be up to him to make a decision on where he wants to go.

My completely baseless predictions are

Bears: Brian Flores
Broncos: Dan Quinn
Dolphins: Brian Daboll
Giants: Doug Pederson
Jaguars: Byron Leftwich
Raiders: Jim Harbough
Texans: Josh McCown
Vikings: Nathaniel Hackett
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: January 25, 2022, 8:09 pm
Northern Raider wrote: January 25, 2022, 7:58 pm Could be because there's a lot of candidates and a lot of positions available. All parties taking a bit more time in making decisions. If Daboll had already committed to a role I expect that announcement soon. He appears to be one to the more sought after candidates.
He'd be my top target. He was my top target last year before he just flatly declined to interview with the eagles :cry:
Think he'll have 2-3 teams willing to hire him, so it'll be up to him to make a decision on where he wants to go.

My completely baseless predictions are

Bears: Brian Flores
Broncos: Dan Quinn
Dolphins: Brian Daboll
Giants: Doug Pederson
Jaguars: Byron Leftwich
Raiders: Jim Harbough
Texans: Josh McCown
Vikings: Nathaniel Hackett
IF Quinn goes. Expect Zimmer to return to Dallas
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

A LOT of really good DC's on the market. But yeah i would expect Zimmer and the Cowboys to have mutual interest

What i find interesting is Jonathon Gannon, Eagles DC has gotten 3 interviews and all reports are he smashed them all out of the park. I like Gannon, think he can be a good DC, but he got average results out of an average unit this year. Think with better talent he could be better. But im stunned he's getting serious interest
Apparently he's considered one of the front runners for the Texans job... i certainly wouldnt mind seeing him get that job and the Eagles stumping up top dollars for Vic Fangio to replace him
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Also, it's not really a matter of IF Quinn goes, he and Daboll are the two most in demand candidates. I have no doubt in my mind he's getting one of these jobs.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Heard an interesting take on a podcast regarding Kellen Moore as a HC candidate. Made the point that he's an OC with a top 5 QB, top 5 receiving group, top 5 o-line and a top 5 running back. Basically said he's under achieved given the tools he has at his disposal. Harsh but fair?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: January 25, 2022, 8:26 pm Heard an interesting take on a podcast regarding Kellen Moore as a HC candidate. Made the point that he's an OC with a top 5 QB, top 5 receiving group, top 5 o-line and a top 5 running back. Basically said he's under achieved given the tools he has at his disposal. Harsh but fair?
Not fair at all. Dallas should run it back with Beave for next year and when they doesnt pan out, hand the job to Moore.
Moore is a genius. Jerry told us so. Like he did with the Clapper ;)

But seriously. YES. Yes, of course it's fair. The Cowboys offence has drives that look incredible, and there is some creative cool stuff in there. But its not remotely consistent enough and they make a lot of really basic errors that speak to poor coaching... as much as i like to dunk on McCarthy, it cant ALL be on him. Moore calls the plays. He has to bear some responsibility of the failures on offence.
The defence MORE than held up their end of the bargain... This Cowboys season was a failure of Beave, Moore and Dak.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

My arbitrary head coach predictions:
Giants - Daboll
Dolphins - Quinn
Broncos - Hackett
Vikings - Bowles
Jaguars - Pederson
Bears - Eberflus
Texans - Flores
Raiders - Harbaugh
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Well we can add the saints to the list of openings now too

Sean Payton has stepped down as HC
I had heard the rumours of this on a few podcasts but frankly didn’t believe it would actually happen
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Wow, that's massive news. No shock when you think about it. Well documented the horrible position Saints are in relating to salary cap and personnel. Payton is jumping off the sinking ship while there's still lifeboats around.

There goes my hypothetical trade of Tua to Payton. Maybe that's become Payton to Tua?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The 2 wildcards in the HC hiring circus are Pederson and Harbaugh. As they are not currently employed in the NFL teams do not need to officially request an interview. Means nobody would know who they are talking to and I'd imagine the front runners would be the most quiet.

Also consider Dolphins chances of landing Harbaugh. Stephen Ross tried to get him early days of his ownership, even while Tony Sparano was still under contract. Ross was then the key player in getting Harbaugh the job at Michigan. He basically funded the hire. Harbaugh to Miami is only 1 phone call away from happening and nobody will know whether or not that is going to take place.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Peyton is another with Cowboys ties.
Geez I'd be keen for Peyton to replace McCarthy
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: January 25, 2022, 8:33 pm
Northern Raider wrote: January 25, 2022, 8:26 pm Heard an interesting take on a podcast regarding Kellen Moore as a HC candidate. Made the point that he's an OC with a top 5 QB, top 5 receiving group, top 5 o-line and a top 5 running back. Basically said he's under achieved given the tools he has at his disposal. Harsh but fair?
Not fair at all. Dallas should run it back with Beave for next year and when they doesnt pan out, hand the job to Moore.
Moore is a genius. Jerry told us so. Like he did with the Clapper ;)

But seriously. YES. Yes, of course it's fair. The Cowboys offence has drives that look incredible, and there is some creative cool stuff in there. But its not remotely consistent enough and they make a lot of really basic errors that speak to poor coaching... as much as i like to dunk on McCarthy, it cant ALL be on him. Moore calls the plays. He has to bear some responsibility of the failures on offence.
The defence MORE than held up their end of the bargain... This Cowboys season was a failure of Beave, Moore and Dak.
The inconsistency is an issue. The whole fan base is confused. They can be spectacular and useless in the same game, and even worse, drive to drive.

However... we don't have a top 5 OL anymore. Smith is waaay past his best. Collins only player half a season, and hasn't looked right since his injury last yr. Martin is the only stud. Steele, Biadaiz and Williams are just guys.

I'm confident we double down on OL in the draft for this reason.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: January 26, 2022, 7:38 am The 2 wildcards in the HC hiring circus are Pederson and Harbaugh. As they are not currently employed in the NFL teams do not need to officially request an interview. Means nobody would know who they are talking to and I'd imagine the front runners would be the most quiet.

Also consider Dolphins chances of landing Harbaugh. Stephen Ross tried to get him early days of his ownership, even while Tony Sparano was still under contract. Ross was then the key player in getting Harbaugh the job at Michigan. He basically funded the hire. Harbaugh to Miami is only 1 phone call away from happening and nobody will know whether or not that is going to take place.
Ross was pretty strong in his statement a few weeks ago that he would not be the person to pull Harbough from Michigan

Which I found curious as I thought that’s where he’d land
Which isn’t to say he still can’t because

A) Ross could simply have been lying lol
2. If Harbough has independently made the decision to leave Michigan, then Ross is free do as he pleases without upsetting his Michigan friends
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: January 26, 2022, 7:53 am Peyton is another with Cowboys ties.
I would bet some decent money that he’ll be the cowboys coach next year :(
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: January 26, 2022, 7:59 am
Don't fill me with hope.
Wonder what that would mean for Moore?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: January 26, 2022, 8:02 am
Botman wrote: January 26, 2022, 7:59 am
Don't fill me with hope.
Wonder what that would mean for Moore?
I think Jerreh has planned for Moore to get the job long term for a long time
I also think if given the choice he’d take Payton first, and now he’ll have that opportunity. It’s a big, splashy name… I can’t see Jerreh passing up those headlines

If for whatever reason he can’t land Payton, he’ll go back to the Moore plan
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: January 26, 2022, 7:57 am
Northern Raider wrote: January 26, 2022, 7:38 am The 2 wildcards in the HC hiring circus are Pederson and Harbaugh. As they are not currently employed in the NFL teams do not need to officially request an interview. Means nobody would know who they are talking to and I'd imagine the front runners would be the most quiet.

Ross was pretty strong in his statement a few weeks ago that he would not be the person to pull Harbough from Michigan

Which I found curious as I thought that’s where he’d land
Which isn’t to say he still can’t because

A) Ross could simply have been lying lol
2. If Harbough has independently made the decision to leave Michigan, then Ross is free do as he pleases without upsetting his Michigan friends
Pretty much the latter. Ross won't poach Harbaugh. Didn't say he won't hire him if he's leaving. Hard to see Ross standing by and watching Harbaugh take a job with another NFL team. He loses twice then.
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

Botman wrote: January 26, 2022, 7:12 am Well we can add the saints to the list of openings now too

I had heard the rumours of this on a few podcasts but frankly didn’t believe it would actually happen
Have you seen that movie coming out where Kevin James plays Sean Payton, who goes to coach his son's youth football team when he's banned for a year cause of Bountygate :lol:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

PrimetimeRaider wrote: January 26, 2022, 4:54 pm
Botman wrote: January 26, 2022, 7:12 am Well we can add the saints to the list of openings now too

Have you seen that movie coming out where Kevin James plays Sean Payton, who goes to coach his son's youth football team when he's banned for a year cause of Bountygate :lol:
Haven’t seen it yet but will probably give it a watch lol
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Seems like Dennis Allen might have the inside running for the Saints job
Payton made it very clear that coaching into the future is not out of the question, but he needs a break in 2022

Saints have his contractual rights for the next 3 years, so i wonder if they'll give Allen the job as a sort of place holder, eat some salary cap ****, and try and convince Payton to come back in 2023... if he's just done with NOLA and wants to move on, whoever is interested will have to trade for his rights which is interesting

Sean Payton is probably worth 1-2 first round picks imo
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Vikings are hiring Browns’ VP of football operations Kwesi Adofo-Mensah as their general manager and giving him a four-year contract, per source.

Adam Schefter
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

@Botman,
Brandon Brooks retiring. 10yrs in the league.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: January 26, 2022, 8:08 pm Seems like Dennis Allen might have the inside running for the Saints job
Payton made it very clear that coaching into the future is not out of the question, but he needs a break in 2022

Saints have his contractual rights for the next 3 years, so i wonder if they'll give Allen the job as a sort of place holder, eat some salary cap ****, and try and convince Payton to come back in 2023... if he's just done with NOLA and wants to move on, whoever is interested will have to trade for his rights which is interesting

Sean Payton is probably worth 1-2 first round picks imo
In their current state they will struggle to find a quality external candidate. Makes sense to promote from within and use someone already contracted.

Given their cap situation they may as well burn it all down and start a complete rebuild. Position themselves to be competitive again in 2-3 years.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: January 27, 2022, 6:03 am @Botman,
One of the best free agent pick ups in the eagles history
Was a dominant guard when he was on field, arguably the best guard in football.

He was a demon in the rehab room, twice came back from 9-12 month injuries within 6 months, his advocacy for mental health was phenomenal. He retires as a 3x pro bowler and sb champ

He adjusted his contract on his way out to help the eagles save 12m in cap space this year when he leaves.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

For some light lunchtime entertainment I decided to look into some potential cap saving moves by the Saints. Going to be very difficult to get things done pre-June 1. Way too much dead money on those contracts. Obvious cut is CB Bradley Roby. Due $10m and save $9.5m if he's cut. Assume he'll hit the FA market. Not much else they can do with cuts beyond a bunch of guys on lower end contracts. Hard cutting somebody on $2m to save money when you still have to replace them.

Post-June 1 its a different story with most savings coming via trade. Guys like Marcus Davenport can save nearly $10m if traded. There will be plenty of GMs circling for that one after the draft.

Alvin Kamara another trade target. He can save $11.5m of his $14.5m cap number. His base salary is heavily back ended but that can be saved via cutting the final year. They really need to offload him now though. Who wants to pay that for a RB is the biggest query.

The most interesting one is OT Ryan Ramczyk. They signed him to a big money extension this past offseason. Restructured mid way through the season for a small immediate cap saving. Now they have to look at 2022. He has a $22m cap figure of which $19m can be save via trade post-June 1. If they're still battling to bring their cap down before training camp then this could be a very reluctant deal they have to make.

Those 4 moves get them beyond half way to fixing the $74m deficit. :)
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: January 27, 2022, 10:48 am
Matt wrote: January 27, 2022, 6:03 am @Botman,
One of the best free agent pick ups in the eagles history
Was a dominant guard when he was on field, arguably the best guard in football.

He was a demon in the rehab room, twice came back from 9-12 month injuries within 6 months, his advocacy for mental health was phenomenal. He retires as a 3x pro bowler and sb champ

He adjusted his contract on his way out to help the eagles save 12m in cap space this year when he leaves.
Top player, better bloke apparently
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: January 27, 2022, 1:37 pm For some light lunchtime entertainment I decided to look into some potential cap saving moves by the Saints. Going to be very difficult to get things done pre-June 1. Way too much dead money on those contracts. Obvious cut is CB Bradley Roby. Due $10m and save $9.5m if he's cut. Assume he'll hit the FA market. Not much else they can do with cuts beyond a bunch of guys on lower end contracts. Hard cutting somebody on $2m to save money when you still have to replace them.

Post-June 1 its a different story with most savings coming via trade. Guys like Marcus Davenport can save nearly $10m if traded. There will be plenty of GMs circling for that one after the draft.

Alvin Kamara another trade target. He can save $11.5m of his $14.5m cap number. His base salary is heavily back ended but that can be saved via cutting the final year. They really need to offload him now though. Who wants to pay that for a RB is the biggest query.

The most interesting one is OT Ryan Ramczyk. They signed him to a big money extension this past offseason. Restructured mid way through the season for a small immediate cap saving. Now they have to look at 2022. He has a $22m cap figure of which $19m can be save via trade post-June 1. If they're still battling to bring their cap down before training camp then this could be a very reluctant deal they have to make.

2 of there best assets on that roster though
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: January 27, 2022, 3:13 pm
Northern Raider wrote: January 27, 2022, 1:37 pm For some light lunchtime entertainment I decided to look into some potential cap saving moves by the Saints. Going to be very difficult to get things done pre-June 1. Way too much dead money on those contracts. Obvious cut is CB Bradley Roby. Due $10m and save $9.5m if he's cut. Assume he'll hit the FA market. Not much else they can do with cuts beyond a bunch of guys on lower end contracts. Hard cutting somebody on $2m to save money when you still have to replace them.

2 of there best assets on that roster though
That's the hole they've dug. The contracts that can free up most cap money without baggage are some of their key players. Most others either carry too much dead money or will be hard contracts to offload via trade. It's not pretty.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Your post got me interested haha.
On overthecap now trying to find another way and god dammit there really isn't a lot of options but to completely strip the roster down.

No wonder Payton wanted to get the **** out, this team has ghastly potential next year.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

First HC domino falls - Hackett to Broncos. Called it. 1/1. Watch me end up 1/8 :lol: