All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: 2022

Post by Raiders_Pat »

BadnMean wrote: January 24, 2022, 10:02 am
Re Croker: he was pretty circumspect with his words there- he said the club had given Jarrod time to get his body right to try and play at NRL standard/his personal standards. Which sounds like acknowledgement that Croker was way off the pace last season. Then he said Jarrod is aiming for r1- well so is everyone. Doesn't mean everyone is going to play. He very definitely didn't say, something like "barring any setbacks Jarrod will be there r1", like he would for locked in guys...

Re Savage: yeah that's pretty much how I read it.

Interesting that it sounds like Elliot will not be starting, saying guys might spend time at either position sounds like bench or backup for Elliot.
I'm not sure if his words on Elliott necessarily mean that. Sounds more like keeping him on his toes and ensuring he trains hard to get a spot in the 17. You wouldn't say to some guy who had his contract torn up by his last club and came here on his last chance that he's all good and he'll be starting in lock or second row round one - for both Elliott's sake and for the squad's sake.

Realistically, I think somebody in his position would probably get his chance off the bench in most circumstances but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him start in round one.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Raiders_Pat wrote: January 24, 2022, 11:13 am
Re Croker: he was pretty circumspect with his words there- he said the club had given Jarrod time to get his body right to try and play at NRL standard/his personal standards. Which sounds like acknowledgement that Croker was way off the pace last season. Then he said Jarrod is aiming for r1- well so is everyone. Doesn't mean everyone is going to play. He very definitely didn't say, something like "barring any setbacks Jarrod will be there r1", like he would for locked in guys...

Interesting that it sounds like Elliot will not be starting, saying guys might spend time at either position sounds like bench or backup for Elliot.
I'm not sure if his words on Elliott necessarily mean that. Sounds more like keeping him on his toes and ensuring he trains hard to get a spot in the 17. You wouldn't say to some guy who had his contract torn up by his last club and came here on his last chance that he's all good and he'll be starting in lock or second row round one - for both Elliott's sake and for the squad's sake.

Realistically, I think somebody in his position would probably get his chance off the bench in most circumstances but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him start in round one.
Papalii and Tapine aside I'd like to think spots across our entire pack are up for grabs.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

If either of them gets the sulks they can **** off to timbuktwo.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: January 24, 2022, 11:33 am

Papalii and Tapine aside I'd like to think spots across our entire pack are up for grabs.
I agree NR, though I side on the CHN is the 1st edge picked, so ATM there are probably 3.

As for the article, it screams Corp line and cliches really. I don't think it tells us much more than we already knew.

Savage isnt ready. Still coming back from the shoulder.

Elliott will be on the bench because he can play both. And, unless they have rep pedigree, because Ricky likes newbies to earn it.

Jack is plying 2nd fiddle to Fog. Fog looks really good and knows what he likes. A natural leader.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Matt wrote: January 25, 2022, 2:31 pm
Northern Raider wrote: January 24, 2022, 11:33 am

I agree NR, though I side on the CHN is the 1st edge picked, so ATM there are probably 3.

As for the article, it screams Corp line and cliches really. I don't think it tells us much more than we already knew.

Savage isnt ready. Still coming back from the shoulder.

Elliott will be on the bench because he can play both. And, unless they have rep pedigree, because Ricky likes newbies to earn it.

Jack is plying 2nd fiddle to Fog. Fog looks really good and knows what he likes. A natural leader.
Agree that CHN is most likely to fill an edge, although he doesn't have a mortgage on the spot.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I don't think anybody should be entitled to a spot either. But I also don't think it's good for the team if we have people rotating in and out of the 17 like last season. The team selected in round one should be the team Ricky hopes to select all year, unless injury or poor form forces his hand, which it inevitably will. Players that work hard should be getting opportunities through injury to the 17 or if somebody is fairly dropped. It's better for morale and allows for combinations to form. The only exception to this for me is Savage as it doesn't sound like he'll be starting at fullback in round one. But he should get an opportunity there as soon as he's ready.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL 2022 free agency: Winners and losers of player movement frenzy

RAIDERS

The Raiders struggled to replace George Williams internally in 2021 — Sam Williams and Matt Frawley are good clubmen, but neither was a long-term option — and the recruitment of Jamal Fogarty is a nice signing. Fogarty is composed, capable of playing to a game plan and able to slot in on the right edge.

Adam Elliott is on his last chance, but if Canberra can get the best out of him he could prove to be an astute purchase, so long as they play him in the middle. The return of Nick Cotric to the nation’s capital is a huge boost to the Raiders’ backline, with Bailey Simonsson released to sign with Parramatta.

Free agency rating: B
GAINS: Jamal Fogarty (Titans), Peter Hola (Cowboys), Adam Elliott, Nick Cotric (both Bulldogs).
LOSSES: George Williams (Warrington), Ryan James (Broncos), Siliva Havili (Rabbitohs), Bailey Simonsson (Eels), Caleb Aekins (Leigh), Sia Soliola (retired), Dunamis Lui, Curtis Scott, Darby Medlyn (all released).

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 9cea8701cd
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Plenty of question marks about the Raiders in 2022, starting with club legend Jarrod Croker
Tim Gavel

There’s a sense of deja vu as the Canberra Raiders prepare to head into the 2022 season. I’ve watched the likes of Laurie Daley, Terry Campese and Alan Tongue struggle to keep going through the latter years of their NRL careers because of injury. They all had time remaining on their contracts, but their bodies simply had taken a pounding over the years. They had to call it a day. Similarly, plenty of fingers are crossed when it comes to the playing future of Raiders skipper Jarrod Croker.

Read more: https://aboutregional.com.au/plenty-of- ... od-croker/
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I get the sense there aren't too many people who have high hopes for Fogarty, but I think he could genuinely get the best out of Wighton and give us some decent leadership in the halves.

Williams was never a great fit, and last season he was an absolute distraction. It's not like JF has a hard act to follow.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Seiffert82 wrote:I get the sense there aren't too many people who have high hopes for Fogarty, but I think he could genuinely get the best out of Wighton and give us some decent leadership in the halves.

Williams was never a great fit, and last season he was an absolute distraction. It's not like JF has a hard act to follow.

he's certainly fit, has experience and a good talker so I have hopes he can fit the bill

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Seiffert82 wrote: January 30, 2022, 9:45 pm I get the sense there aren't too many people who have high hopes for Fogarty, but I think he could genuinely get the best out of Wighton and give us some decent leadership in the halves.

I think expectations for Fogarty have got the most part been appropriately set by fans given who and what Fog is as a player. Which is rather unusual. We typically set our expectations absurdly high.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: January 31, 2022, 6:48 am
Seiffert82 wrote: January 30, 2022, 9:45 pm I get the sense there aren't too many people who have high hopes for Fogarty, but I think he could genuinely get the best out of Wighton and give us some decent leadership in the halves.

I think expectations for Fogarty have got the most part been appropriately set by fans given who and what Fog is as a player. Which is rather unusual. We typically set our expectations absurdly high.
In judging him I think we need to look carefully at the value he brings out in others. I don’t see him winning a golden boot and lighting it up individually, but I do think we has the potential to bring structure, control and leadership that might ignite a few around him. I’m quietly confident he will exceed expectations.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

I believe Fog is Sezer 2.0. Statistically that is backed up too.
However, Fog doesn't strike me as the kinda guy who drifts out of a game.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Sezer was a better defender than Fog. Sezer used to read better what to do in certain situations.

I remember live from the grandstand a number of times seeing him slowly retreating to stop an overlap and giving BJ and Raps more time. I remember thinking that wasn’t Austin’s strength when defending on the right.

He helped Croker a lot too when Sezer was on the left. I’m hoping Fog is a Sezer 2.0. That will be good for the team.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Sezers game v Cronulla in 19 will never be forgotten.

3 field goals to get us the win. He had a great day in green.

I’m super keen to watch Fog, new club, new teammates and a spring in his step.

He’s looking ripped. He has a job to do for us and I’m positive he’ll be more the capable.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Players that clubs are looking to reinvent this season to improve their squads

RAIDERS

Corey Horsburgh

It’s been a tough couple of years for Horsburgh – he missed much of 2020 with a foot injury and struggled for fitness and form last season – but the 23-year old is a top-class NRL prop in the making. Horsburgh has the size and athleticism to make an impact with his running game as well as the passing and offloading skill required of a modern middle. So long as he has a big pre-season, cracking the Queensland Origin side is well within his capabilities next year and given Canberra’s lacklustre 2021 performance, the Raiders will need the likes of Horsburgh to step up.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... f956e5fab0
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I haven’t read the 2022 rule changes in detail but in the spirit of the GH I’m outraged anyway and am sure it’s all a conspiracy to keep us down whatever they are…. https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-a ... af50164858
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

greeneyed wrote: February 2, 2022, 10:29 pm
well that Chris Warren is a nonentity. Not Nachopants' fault about the questions, but I'm a bit dubious about the team selections he offered with Wighton in the centres, Fogarty at 6 and Hodgson at 7!

Oh, and Stuart won't be having discussions with Croker about medical retirement in round 7 or 8 - they'll either be held in the first round or two, or after round 9. I though that would be obvious. 300 games and rack off, or forget about it in the first place. Or maybe even miraculously keep playing with a deserved first grade position, though I'm almost being facetious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Predicted Round 1 starting teams

RAIDERS

1. Charnze Nicholl-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Matthew Timoko
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Adam Elliott

Bench: 14. Tom Starling, 15. Ryan Sutton, 16. Corey Horsburgh, 17. Corey Harawira-Naera

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 506d4e69a9
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Lui_Bon wrote: February 2, 2022, 11:13 pm
greeneyed wrote: February 2, 2022, 10:29 pm
well that Chris Warren is a nonentity. Not Nachopants' fault about the questions, but I'm a bit dubious about the team selections he offered with Wighton in the centres, Fogarty at 6 and Hodgson at 7!

Oh, and Stuart won't be having discussions with Croker about medical retirement in round 7 or 8 - they'll either be held in the first round or two, or after round 9. I though that would be obvious. 300 games and rack off, or forget about it in the first place. Or maybe even miraculously keep playing with a deserved first grade position, though I'm almost being facetious.
A team should be picked with no other considerations than the good of the team. I don’t see any scenario where including Jarrod Croker in the team provides any benefits for the team. There has always been issues with his defence and he’s not striking fear into any opposition defenders. The recent centres poll indicates that with the exception of 4 or 5 hopeless romantics, the GH fan base recognise Croker isn’t one of our strongest centres. It will be very concerning if Ricky remains stubborn on this one.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Does anyone know whether Rapana (DUI) and Starling (alleged intimidation) face sanctions from the Club or NRL so have to sit out Round 1?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: February 3, 2022, 4:58 pm Does anyone know whether Rapana (DUI) and Starling (alleged intimidation) face sanctions from the Club or NRL so have to sit out Round 1?
No but we potentially lose 2 unvaccinated players Round 2 unless they get their shots in a hurry.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Every NRL pack ranked 1-16

11. RAIDERS

Predicted starting pack: 8. Josh Papalii, 9. Josh Hodgson, 10. Joseph Tapine, 11. Hudson Young, 12. Elliot Whitehead, 13. Adam Elliot

Analysis: On paper, the Raiders have one of the best packs in the NRL but Ricky Stuart struggled to nail down his starters in 2021. The new rules dramatically sped up the game and led to inconsistency from some of his best forwards.

Stuart struggled to pick his team, with Hudson Young, Joseph Tapine, Emre Guler and Ryan Sutton all playing off the bench at different parts of the season. If Canberra can adapt to the new rules and lock down their best pack, they can return to the top-half of the competition.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 4c7675a7b8

Eleventh is a pretty tough rating.
Drandyt
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by Drandyt »

greeneyed wrote: February 3, 2022, 5:55 am Predicted Round 1 starting teams

RAIDERS

1. Charnze Nicholl-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Matthew Timoko
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Adam Elliott

Bench: 14. Tom Starling, 15. Ryan Sutton, 16. Corey Horsburgh, 17. Corey Harawira-Naera

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 506d4e69a9
Needs much more SAVAGE!
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Matt wrote:

I believe Fog is Sezer 2.0. Statistically that is backed up too.
However, Fog doesn't strike me as the kinda guy who drifts out of a game.
Yeah, I certainly don't expect him to be producing MOTM performances, but I also think he's not the type of player to drift out of games.

Sezer was a very good defensive half and Williams was surprisingly good in defence most of the time, so it will be very interesting to see how Fogarty goes there. It's definitely an area of concern.

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I know you mean George Williams was good in Defence, S82, but just thought I'd clarify you were not referring to Sam.

I'm not looking for anything other than a service FG halfback in Jamal. I'm looking forward to a Top 8 finish.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

We goin to da 8 rr fo sho.

This place is woke.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I suspect we will probably start the season rolling out Croker in the centres, and in that case I think an 11th place finish is probably a fair estimate.

Savage instead of CNK, anyone instead of Croker and somebody younger instead of Whitehead and Rapa and we should make the 8.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Ill be pissed if savage aint there from word go, im not listening to any of that bring him along crap.

This place is woke.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Billy Walker wrote: February 4, 2022, 5:33 pm I suspect we will probably start the season rolling out Croker in the centres, and in that case I think an 11th place finish is probably a fair estimate.

Savage instead of CNK, anyone instead of Croker and somebody younger instead of Whitehead and Rapa and we should make the 8.
I really hope we are all wrong about Croker, but I doubt it.

I have a sneaking suspicion Smelly won't be on an edge, and therefore his mins will be capped.

Rapa seems to be an "exception to the rule" kinda guy. So let's ride that wave til he it goes flat.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Matt wrote: February 4, 2022, 6:10 pm
Billy Walker wrote: February 4, 2022, 5:33 pm I suspect we will probably start the season rolling out Croker in the centres, and in that case I think an 11th place finish is probably a fair estimate.

I have a sneaking suspicion Smelly won't be on an edge, and therefore his mins will be capped.

Rapa seems to be an "exception to the rule" kinda guy. So let's ride that wave til he it goes flat.
Yep - Rapa and Smelly have been great but would love to see some of the young kids step it up to a new level. The ultimate for me would be if we were chock full of so many exceptionally talented young guns that Papa and Jack couldn’t crack the team we’d be flying, but that is dreaming. I do think 6 new faces on last year in the game day squad is a fair target. Fog and Cotric are 2. By my logic we need 4 more new faces to step up to start the refresh we need.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

And anyway you look at it Croker is not going to contribute anything overly useful. Over the last few seasons he’s enjoyed a low bar from the fans. If he turns out 10 games there is no doubt he will likely kick 5 from 5 in one or two of them. He will only miss 3 tackles in another and he might finish a try or catch a cross field kick in another. His supporters will praise him for these things but the reality is he isn’t a Bradman Best and doesn’t have the ability to break open a game and strike fear in an opposition. While I suspect he will get a start I believe the correct answer is shift him out and bring in generation next.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Billy Walker wrote: February 4, 2022, 6:29 pm And anyway you look at it Croker is not going to contribute anything overly useful. Over the last few seasons he’s enjoyed a low bar from the fans. If he turns out 10 games there is no doubt he will likely kick 5 from 5 in one or two of them. He will only miss 3 tackles in another and he might finish a try or catch a cross field kick in another. His supporters will praise him for these things but the reality is he isn’t a Bradman Best and doesn’t have the ability to break open a game and strike fear in an opposition. While I suspect he will get a start I believe the correct answer is shift him out and bring in generation next.
I said HOPE we are wrong
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Billy Walker wrote: February 4, 2022, 6:22 pm
Matt wrote: February 4, 2022, 6:10 pm

Yep - Rapa and Smelly have been great but would love to see some of the young kids step it up to a new level. The ultimate for me would be if we were chock full of so many exceptionally talented young guns that Papa and Jack couldn’t crack the team we’d be flying, but that is dreaming. I do think 6 new faces on last year in the game day squad is a fair target. Fog and Cotric are 2. By my logic we need 4 more new faces to step up to start the refresh we need.
There is an unwritten rule/ trend about squad turnover and is 5-6 players. Cant remember the top 17 turnover rate. Id guess 3-4 players to maintain the %.

You'd have to think Adam Elliott makes the 17, with Cotric and Fog, thats the min to comply.

Now, 1 or more of Mooney, Rushton or Hola on the bench, and your on the high side of that %.