NFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

the bone
John Ferguson

Re: NFL Thread

Post by the bone »

PrimetimeRaider wrote: January 23, 2022, 10:12 am The winner of this game is gonna be slaughtered next week
Yeah Bengals is a nice story, but Bills or Chiefs will be too good for them
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

No answers by the 9ers defence on that GB opening drive… TD Jones
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Packers hardly raised a sweat on that drive. Not that there will be much sweating happening out there.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Packers do generally start well and then the opposition adjusts a little - after the first drive - but that was too easy.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Some danger signs for the Packers.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

That face mask penalty on Eli Mitchell was a killer! Would’ve been 1st and goal at the 3-yard line, instead they were backed up to the 21 yard line with 2nd-and-14
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gergreg wrote: January 23, 2022, 12:58 pm Some danger signs for the Packers.
Packers have stopped moving the ball. 49ers have started.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: January 23, 2022, 10:56 am
Matt wrote: January 23, 2022, 10:38 am
Northern Raider wrote: January 23, 2022, 10:32 am That game really had an OT feel to it. Bengals prevail in regular time.

Now we get to see the 49ers get their asses handed to them.
I hope it happens. However, I reckon 9ers will hang in there for 3 Quarters
Packers will have this under control by halftime.
Mid 3rd. It's 3-7. My prediction looking ok.

PS. Where was this **** show last wk Jimmy?!?!?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: January 23, 2022, 1:10 pm
Northern Raider wrote: January 23, 2022, 10:32 am That game really had an OT feel to it. Bengals prevail in regular time.

Yeah, 49ers sticking around. Not because of their offense though. 7 possessions for 5 punts, 1 field goal and 1 intercept.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: January 23, 2022, 1:15 pm

Yeah, 49ers sticking around. Not because of their offense though. 7 possessions for 5 punts, 1 field goal and 1 intercept.
For sure. But I didn't specify, just said "hang around".
Packers just can't finish.
A blocked FG didn't help.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Wow, blocked punt TD for 9ers. We’re an extra point away from a tied game
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

2nd block by 9ers.
And all of a sudden is 10 all
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: January 23, 2022, 1:23 pm
Northern Raider wrote: January 23, 2022, 1:15 pm

For sure. But I didn't specify, just said "hang around".
Packers just can't finish.
A blocked FG didn't help.
Maybe they will hang around for 4 quarters
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

GB special teams choke is on
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Packers are going to lose.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Holy **** packers. So many lost opportunities
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

9ers win.... woooow
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

That was a serious choke by Packers. Well done to the 49ers defensive front. That win is 100% on you.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

If there was any chance of Rodgers coming back, there is 0 chance now. Rodgers has to be done with them after that.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

I love San Fran and Cincinnati both winning today but I think they will be long odds to appear in the SB
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Toviii wrote: January 23, 2022, 2:15 pm I love San Fran and Cincinnati both winning today but I think they will be long odds to appear in the SB
Agreed. I don’t see Rams or 9ers beating the Bucs, so I think we’re stuck with another Tom Brady Super Bowl, vs the winner of Chiefs-Bills
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

So... Buccs vs Cheifs SB?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

the bone wrote: January 23, 2022, 2:17 pm
Toviii wrote: January 23, 2022, 2:15 pm I love San Fran and Cincinnati both winning today but I think they will be long odds to appear in the SB
Agreed. I don’t see Rams or 9ers beating the Bucs, so I think we’re stuck with another Tom Brady Super Bowl, vs the winner of Chiefs-Bills
I agree, but I'm going Homeboi vs GOAT
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

49ers are doing everything they weren't supposed to. Scraped into playoffs with OT against Rams. Knocked off Cowboys in Wildcard Round. Now they go to Green Bay and take out the SB favourites. Now only one game away from a Superbowl themselves.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

That was an interesting game of football

The bengals made it tough on themselves at times but they just had too much fire power. Tannehill was a touch unlucky given I think all of his ints were tipped

Still the titans felt fraudulent to me all year long and they’re one and done with home field advantage

For the bengals, there is still some coaching things that happen every week that drive me crazy but they’ll have a very serious chance at an upset next week imo. This is a hard offence to hold down for too long

Agree with NR, this niners game was won by the niners defence and particularly its DL. Aside from the first drive they really played their arses off. The talk is rightly on special teams but the reality is the packers shouldn’t have let it be close enough for that to matter. Aaron Rodgers, Davante Adams and Aaron Jones shouldn’t get held to one touch down
Just not good enough again. And now with the packers cap situation, another play off failure, strap in for another off season of Rodgers nonsense
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

My SB Pick at this stage is Chiefs - Niners
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I remember seeing the Buccs at $8 to take out the lot, before the yoffs started and thought it was a decent sneaky bet.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: January 23, 2022, 3:19 pm My SB Pick at this stage is Chiefs - Niners
Woooow
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: January 23, 2022, 3:19 pm That was an interesting game of football

The bengals made it tough on themselves at times but they just had too much fire power. Tannehill was a touch unlucky given I think all of his ints were tipped

Still the titans felt fraudulent to me all year long and they’re one and done with home field advantage

For the bengals, there is still some coaching things that happen every week that drive me crazy but they’ll have a very serious chance at an upset next week imo. This is a hard offence to hold down for too long

Agree with NR, this niners game was won by the niners defence and particularly its DL. Aside from the first drive they really played their arses off. The talk is rightly on special teams but the reality is the packers shouldn’t have let it be close enough for that to matter. Aaron Rodgers, Davante Adams and Aaron Jones shouldn’t get held to one touch down
Just not good enough again. And now with the packers cap situation, another play off failure, strap in for another off season of Rodgers nonsense
How painful will ARod watch get.... aargh
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Have we just seen Packers window finally close? Given their cap problems it might be time they let Rodgers go. Davante Adams hitting free agency will make his retention difficult too. Hard to see them as contenders without those two.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: January 23, 2022, 6:27 pm Have we just seen Packers window finally close? Given their cap problems it might be time they let Rodgers go. Davante Adams hitting free agency will make his retention difficult too. Hard to see them as contenders without those two.
unless they find a way to keep both Rodgers and Adams, the window is pretty well shut

I think at this point given their cap and where they stand as a franchise, it’s probably time to trade Rodgers, tag and trade Adams… get whatever you can for them, and begin the build around Love and see what happens
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: January 23, 2022, 6:35 pm
Northern Raider wrote: January 23, 2022, 6:27 pm Have we just seen Packers window finally close? Given their cap problems it might be time they let Rodgers go. Davante Adams hitting free agency will make his retention difficult too. Hard to see them as contenders without those two.
unless they find a way to keep both Rodgers and Adams, the window is pretty well shut

I think at this point given their cap and where they stand as a franchise, it’s probably time to trade Rodgers, tag and trade Adams… get whatever you can for them, and begin the build around Love and see what happens
The problem they have is, without ARod and possibly Adams, they are this yrs Saints.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I was just playing around on overthecap.com and man this off season is tough for the Packers

Option 1: Try and run it back... you keep Rodgers, you franchise tag Adams (and he's cool with that, lol he wont be!), then if you cut Preston and Za'Darius Smith, Kenny Clark, Billy Turner, Adrian Amos, Mason Crosby and Randall Cobb
Even doing that, with Rodgers on deck and Adams on a tag... that'll leave the Packers 8m over the cap...

even if they were under the cap with that, is this Packers team, minus that sort of player drain actually able to compete? Rodgers, Jones and Adams is fine but this packers team minus those players is not winning a SB.

Option 2: Execute a post June 1 trade of Rodgers, either let Adams walk and take the compensatory 3rd, or tag and trade him if you think you can get more than a 3rd for him. Cut Preston Smith who wasnt that good this year, with Rodgers out the door, you are free to cut Randall Cobb and Mason Crosby without passive aggressive Bull, extend Jaire Alexander, lower his cap hit and you're pretty much sorted for this year, and going forward you can start the rebuild around Jordan Love with a strong defensive core
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: January 23, 2022, 7:33 pm I was just playing around on overthecap.com and man this off season is tough for the Packers

Option 1: Try and run it back... you keep Rodgers, you franchise tag Adams (and he's cool with that, lol he wont be!), then if you cut Preston and Za'Darius Smith, Kenny Clark, Billy Turner, Adrian Amos, Mason Crosby and Randall Cobb
Even doing that, with Rodgers on deck and Adams on a tag... that'll leave the Packers 8m over the cap...

even if they were under the cap with that, is this Packers team, minus that sort of player drain actually able to compete? Rodgers, Jones and Adams is fine but this packers team minus those players is not winning a SB.

Option 2: Execute a post June 1 trade of Rodgers, either let Adams walk and take the compensatory 3rd, or tag and trade him if you think you can get more than a 3rd for him. Cut Preston Smith who wasnt that good this year, with Rodgers out the door, you are free to cut Randall Cobb and Mason Crosby without passive aggressive Bull, extend Jaire Alexander, lower his cap hit and you're pretty much sorted for this year, and going forward you can start the rebuild around Jordan Love with a strong defensive core
Option 1 is a horrible thought. Rip the heart out of your defense to retain your 2 key offensive weapons who don't want to be there. They would be insane to head down that path.

Option 2 is their most realistic approach. Although they will have to trade Rodgers early if they want reasonable compensation. Waiting for post June 1 has a bigger cap savings but paints them into a corner. With Adams the tag and trade scenarios makes most sense. He'll command that kind of money elsewhere and they position themselves to get something back. Biggest issue is not finding someone willing to trade and they are stuck with his salary and a disgruntled star.

They aren't in quite as big a nightmare as Saints who are in a massive hole with no QB. Packers at least can offload their QB to free up space and have his replacement already on the roster.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah, i guess the point of it was to say this:

It's really hard to find a way where the Packers keep Rodgers and Adams (and there is no point keeping one without the other imo) without completely decimating the team to such an extent that it's really hard to think they can win... so what is the point?

The best and most logical thing for all concerned is to actually part ways. 2 days ago i thought Rodgers would stay, but i hadnt not looked at their cap situation... now i just dont see how he can stay if he really does want to win a SB.