Canberra Raiders' Joe Tapine still considering COVID vaccine options

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Jamal Fogarty back in action after recovering from COVID

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: January 15, 2022, 7:50 pm A month ago, the club told us they’d update us, and they haven’t. We now know there are developments that they haven’t updated us on. They’re going to have to make it clear in season, if a player can’t play. In the off season, every club’s fans at least deserve to know how extensive the issues are with injury (there seems to be no problem giving injury reports for individuals) and sickness. Clearly, they can affect preparations for the season. I don’t see why the Raiders aren’t being transparent with their “members” and supporters. There’s also the question as to why the NRL isn’t doing it.
Yep. I understand the club might wish to be tactically coy about the extent of an injury situation to avoid giving an opponent an advantage mid-season, but makes zero sense not to be transparent about this now.

I’d also add a lot of young kids and others in the community are crook with covid, I would imagine it might be helpful if you have a young fella struggling to be able to point to one of his hero’s who has overcome covid as a bit of encouragement and assurance.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Billy Walker wrote:
greeneyed wrote: January 15, 2022, 7:50 pm A month ago, the club told us they’d update us, and they haven’t. We now know there are developments that they haven’t updated us on. They’re going to have to make it clear in season, if a player can’t play. In the off season, every club’s fans at least deserve to know how extensive the issues are with injury (there seems to be no problem giving injury reports for individuals) and sickness. Clearly, they can affect preparations for the season. I don’t see why the Raiders aren’t being transparent with their “members” and supporters. There’s also the question as to why the NRL isn’t doing it.
Yep. I understand the club might wish to be tactically coy about the extent of an injury situation to avoid giving an opponent an advantage mid-season, but makes zero sense not to be transparent about this now.

I’d also add a lot of young kids and others in the community are crook with covid, I would imagine it might be helpful if you have a young fella struggling to be able to point to one of his hero’s who has overcome covid as a bit of encouragement and assurance.
Great point Billy about kids understanding that their heroes can also catch Covid.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Imagine if Rapa is picked at fullback Rd 1. We’d be screaming the house down about CNK and Savage being overlooked and calling for Ricky’s head. However if we had the context that CNK and Savage were both needing time to recover from a covid that knocked them about a few weeks earlier we’d most probably take a different view. Context is important and I agree with GE that the club needs to be more transparent here.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

There's some misplaced logic about right to privacy of players who contract COVID. As an example in the Big Bash recently we had Brisbane Heat reporting 12 players had tested positive. When queried on Social Media about who it was they said they wouldn't divulged for sake of privacy. Nek minnit, team I'd named and all the players missing due to CVOID are revealed. Then as players return the social media team start posting about who's recovere and back from their iso. Totally pointless keeping the players identities secret to begin with.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Players and clubs dont give two hoots about fans/member's fantasy league teams, bets, multis etc etc and nor should they.

If players chose themselves to reveal their covid status or injury status that's their choice and once announced by the player discussion can be had.

But there is no obligation or expectation on the clubs to reveal their teams current situation and nor should there be.

We are members, we dont own the club and especially dont own the players. As members we dont even have a say on the board!
Vaccinated
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

cat wrote: January 16, 2022, 3:42 pm Players and clubs dont give two hoots about fans/member's fantasy league teams, bets, multis etc etc and nor should they.

If players chose themselves to reveal their covid status or injury status that's their choice and once announced by the player discussion can be had.

But there is no obligation or expectation on the clubs to reveal their teams current situation and nor should there be.

We are members, we dont own the club and especially dont own the players. As members we dont even have a say on the board!
So where do you stand on something like Croker’s knee. Is it wrong that the club provides advice on that injury and updates on his surgery and progress?
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Billy, in regards to Croker I think at this time of the off season its up to Croker in terms of what we know.
We need to give him the space and time to work on his rehab and talk with his family, doctor, physios, coaches.
He doesn't need the pressure of the fans demanding updates and IF he decides to retire he needs the time to process it privately before the public have their say
Vaccinated
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

cat wrote: January 16, 2022, 5:13 pm Billy, in regards to Croker I think at this time of the off season its up to Croker in terms of what we know.
We need to give him the space and time to work on his rehab and talk with his family, doctor, physios, coaches.
He doesn't need the pressure of the fans demanding updates and IF he decides to retire he needs the time to process it privately before the public have their say
Nice try Cat but I didn’t ask your opinion on whether Croker should retire, I asked if you have a problem with the club releasing updates about his injury, the surgery, and his progress in recovery. Were you outraged when the club released blow by blow updates on Campo’s knee, Mal’s arm, Ricky’s groin or Loz’s hammy? What is it about Covid you believe is so taboo or scandalous that it should only be spoken about in hushed tones in the inner sanctum?
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Billy Walker wrote: January 16, 2022, 5:24 pm
cat wrote: January 16, 2022, 5:13 pm Billy, in regards to Croker I think at this time of the off season its up to Croker in terms of what we know.
Nice try Cat but I didn’t ask your opinion on whether Croker should retire, I asked if you have a problem with the club releasing updates about his injury, the surgery, and his progress in recovery. Were you outraged when the club released blow by blow updates on Campo’s knee, Mal’s arm, Ricky’s groin or Loz’s hammy? What is it about Covid you believe is so taboo or scandalous that it should only be spoken about in hushed tones in the inner sanctum?
Firstly I think you will find there was a lot more going on within the club's inner circle then the public ever knew with Mal and Campo's injuries.

And as I said if Croker wants info released then the club will do that but as with players testing positive to covid, other illnesses, injuries, personal situations its up to the player if its made public or not.
There are many reasons why the players may not want it made public, and one reason as i said in regards to Croker would be making decisions without the public putting the boot in.
As fans we can not demand that we are told everything and told as soon as it happens especially during the off/pre season.

The club is not responsible for what bets people lay, who is in their fantasy team etc etc and the players should have their privacy respected
Vaccinated
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

cat wrote: January 16, 2022, 5:44 pm
Billy Walker wrote: January 16, 2022, 5:24 pm
Firstly I think you will find there was a lot more going on within the club's inner circle then the public ever knew with Mal and Campo's injuries.

And as I said if Croker wants info released then the club will do that but as with players testing positive to covid, other illnesses, injuries, personal situations its up to the player if its made public or not.
There are many reasons why the players may not want it made public, and one reason as i said in regards to Croker would be making decisions without the public putting the boot in.
As fans we can not demand that we are told everything and told as soon as it happens especially during the off/pre season.

The club is not responsible for what bets people lay, who is in their fantasy team etc etc and the players should have their privacy respected
Ok so you are quite comfortable if Jack and Papa are not selected for the first 6 rounds and the club provides no reasoning as to why. Could be discipline issues, might be a season ending injury, possible mental health concerns, maybe long covid, perhaps form - but according to you it’s not anyone’s business but the players. You have some weird takes at times Cat!
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

For starters, Croker is back training by the looks of the pictures released by the club. Starting centre round 1 God help us
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Neeeegz wrote: January 16, 2022, 6:05 pm For starters, Croker is back training by the looks of the pictures released by the club. Starting centre round 1 God help us
Neeeegz - the discussion isn’t about how Croker is tracking or whether he should be selected or not. Over the off season the club has released blow by blow details of how his knee was bone on bone, how he undertook stem cell surgery, when he started aqua running etc etc. This is fairly normal practice for clubs in respect to highly paid players. My question is why nobody would raise an eyebrow at this, but people are oddly concerned about player privacy when it comes to covid. It is not herpes or genitalia rash - it is a condition most the world will catch but one that will impact a player’s season preparations and could in some cases have longer term impacts. I don’t see the logic of clubs not providing details about players catching it.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

When the RLPA demanded more money for the players, part of the compromise was making clubs, coaches and players more accessible for the fans.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gergreg wrote: January 16, 2022, 6:25 pm When the RLPA demanded more money for the players, part of the compromise was making clubs, coaches and players more accessible for the fans.
Spot on Greg. Give players privacy and see how they go filling a 24/7 NRL channel with anything interesting. The Telegraph and Courier Mail become a lot skinnier and the value of NRL rights goes down along with players pay packets.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

I don’t think the team has been clear about Croker… I saw images of him with Cotric this week, it looked like Cotric had to hold him up, his knee must be totally shot.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

You’re strawmanning all over the place Billy. Settle down.m

If a player’s start to the season is going to be impacted by COVID then I’m sure we’ll hear more about it. I just don’t see why people want the Raiders to start announcing the daily COVID cases and statuses in the Raiders team.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

really fun to start a post with accusations of strawmanning and then ending with one yourself!

Gangers is in mid season form, baby.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Hehe glad you liked it
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gangrenous wrote: January 16, 2022, 7:05 pm You’re strawmanning all over the place Billy. Settle down.m Image

If a player’s start to the season is going to be impacted by COVID then I’m sure we’ll hear more about it. I just don’t see why people want the Raiders to start announcing the daily COVID cases and statuses in the Raiders team.
I’ve asked a simple question - “How is the club providing updates on players catching covid any different to injury updates such as Croker’s knee?”

The straw man responses seeking to shift the focus of the issue have included:
- Croker is training and will likely start the season.
- if Croker is thinking about medical retirement that’s an issue for him and his family.
- Here is a picture of Croker and Cotric.
- People shouldn’t expect daily updates.

I’m comfortable that there is no difference and you and the others suggesting player privacy should be respected in the case of covid don’t seem to have an answer to my simple question to make me think otherwise.

Poor off season form Gangers - lift it up lad!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: January 16, 2022, 7:38 pm Hehe glad you liked it Image
Friend, you have no idea... my beloved NFL team is 12 hours away from it's season ending and this has been a timely reminder that i've got another fun **** show of a season to share with you.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Billy - your example of key players going missing without explanation is ridiculous. No one argued anything like it.

Ultimately I guess the main difference between us is I don’t really give a **** about who has covid at the moment, nor what Croker’s knees are doing. On COVID if players are still impacted at playing time I’ll care then. On Croker’s knees I’m an atheist who doesn’t believe in miracles so I’m expecting to see Croker in the side round 1 still with shot knees. If we get there and it’s not the case I’ll be interested. But regular updates on both don’t excite me.

Pigman - Bring it on baby, 2022 looking dicey for the Raiders, but can still be big for gangers v botman! We’ve got an election coming too so can always duck into Politics for some more fun there.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: January 16, 2022, 8:13 pm Pigman - Bring it on baby, 2022 looking dicey for the Raiders, but can still be big for gangers v botman! We’ve got an election coming too so can always duck into Politics for some more fun there.
Call me crazy, but i think this could be our best year yet!

Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

I think there's a community benefit in being honest about COVID cases. Let people see how prevalent it is and how being fit and strong doesn't reduce your chances.

I assume the reluctance to publicise cases is to not out the anti-vaxxers who get COVID, as they may cop some criticism.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gangrenous wrote: January 16, 2022, 8:13 pm Billy - your example of key players going missing without explanation is ridiculous. No one argued anything like it.

Ultimately I guess the main difference between us is I don’t really give a **** about who has covid at the moment, nor what Croker’s knees are doing. On COVID if players are still impacted at playing time I’ll care then. On Croker’s knees I’m an atheist who doesn’t believe in miracles so I’m expecting to see Croker in the side round 1 still with shot knees. If we get there and it’s not the case I’ll be interested. But regular updates on both don’t excite me.

Pigman - Bring it on baby, 2022 looking dicey for the Raiders, but can still be big for gangers v botman! We’ve got an election coming too so can always duck into Politics for some more fun there.
So you couldn’t answer my question and went a different direction. You’re in Scomo territory now.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

No you tried to draw an equivalence to something else which I have equal care factor about - 0.

I don’t care if there are no updates on Croker’s knees.

I never said there was a problem with the club reporting what it chooses on Croker’s knees or players with COVID.

I only said that I think it’s over the top for fans to insist on real time COVID updates because they pay the club a few dollars. Though my view on that is definitely coloured by not giving two craps about it.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gangrenous wrote: January 16, 2022, 9:27 pm No you tried to draw an equivalence to something else which I have equal care factor about - 0.

I don’t care if there are no updates on Croker’s knees.

I never said there was a problem with the club reporting what it chooses on Croker’s knees or players with COVID.

I only said that I think it’s over the top for fans to insist on real time COVID updates because they pay the club a few dollars. Though my view on that is definitely coloured by not giving two craps about it.
:roflmao That’s quite a tangled concession speech Gangers but wise of you to run the “I never cared in the first place” line along with some more smoke about real time upgrades as you skulk back into the shadows on this one. :lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Gangers... that was some of the worst straw manning seen since... well, earlier in the thread!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Billy Walker wrote: :roflmao That’s quite a tangled concession speech Gangers but wise of you to run the “I never cared in the first place” line along with some more smoke about real time upgrades as you skulk back into the shadows on this one. :lol:
Explain what you’re right about and what I’m conceding? The idea of your example is that I’m outraged by the clubs updates on Croker’s knees or the absence of them. I’m neither.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gangrenous wrote: January 16, 2022, 10:29 pm
Billy Walker wrote: :roflmao That’s quite a tangled concession speech Gangers but wise of you to run the “I never cared in the first place” line along with some more smoke about real time upgrades as you skulk back into the shadows on this one. :lol:
Explain what you’re right about and what I’m conceding? The idea of your example is that I’m outraged by the clubs updates on Croker’s knees or the absence of them. I’m neither.
A bad day for Djoker, Gangers and the English Cricket team. Two of the three knew to quit when behind but one keeps grasping at straw men :roflmao
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Cool, so what are you right about then?
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I think anyone using a Strawman in relation to Croker is accurately describing that Crokes knee is held together by ligaments made entirely of straw.

Jarrod is literally the Strawman.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Neeeegz wrote: January 16, 2022, 6:05 pm For starters, Croker is back training by the looks of the pictures released by the club. Starting centre round 1 God help us
Shouldn’t have been anywhere near first grade for years!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

How COVID-19 turned Christmas Grinch for English Raider Ryan Sutton

Ryan Sutton was just one day away from a long-overdue plane flight back to England before learning he'd tested positive to COVID-19. The plan to surprise his family with a Christmas visit to Wigan alongside partner Kate, who hasn't yet met Sutton's parents, was almost perfect. Further adding to the ruined festive period was Sutton's body, which was hit incredibly hard by the virus.

"First up I felt like I just had a blocked nose and I thought I had a sinus infection or hayfever or something, I was like surely it's not that, it doesn't feel that bad," Sutton said. "Gradually over the days it gradually got worse, I got the chills. I didn't lose my sense of smell or taste but I pretty much got everything else.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Re: How COVID turned Christmas Grinch for English Raider Ryan Sutton

Post by Billy Walker »

He looks fairly skinny there. I hope some people on here won’t be too outraged he chose to tell us something we apparently don’t need to know anything about :hmmm :lol:
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: How COVID turned Christmas Grinch for English Raider Ryan Sutton

Post by RedRaider »

I hope his recovery from Covid is going well from both a footy and life point of view.