Moderator: GH Moderators

Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Re: Josh Hodgson looks to be staying put

Post by Raiders666 »

sprintman wrote: December 4, 2021, 8:55 am
Wiki Special wrote: December 4, 2021, 8:49 am
sprintman wrote: December 3, 2021, 7:11 pm Api $650k 3rd year option.
That's a great deal for the Tigers in my opinion.
Agree. They won, we lost!
He is anti vax so it's not the greatest deal imo...depends how many games he misses
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

Does anyone know much about the kid the media keeps thinking will overtake Hodgson and Starling?
I wouldn't be shocked with the leaving of Ennis that a similar assistant coaching role isn't made available to Hodgo for season 23 or 24.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The player you're thinking of is Adrian Trevilyan. There's lots about him on the Raiders Pathways board if you do a search.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I would be shocked if Hodgson is involved in the coaching staff post retirement.

Sia was always destined to stay involved with the club and community in the welfare space but as far as future coaches go, i would expect Stuart to provide a pathway for Sam Williams to transition into coaching if that's what he wants to do. But i can't see that being a thing with Hodgson
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

greeneyed wrote: December 6, 2021, 2:56 pm The player you're thinking of is Adrian Trevilyan. There's lots about him on the Raiders Pathways board if you do a search.
Thank you, good sir.
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

Botman wrote: December 6, 2021, 3:08 pm I would be shocked if Hodgson is involved in the coaching staff post retirement.

Sia was always destined to stay involved with the club and community in the welfare space but as far as future coaches go, i would expect Stuart to provide a pathway for Sam Williams to transition into coaching if that's what he wants to do. But i can't see that being a thing with Hodgson
Sia is with the club for motivational and welfare reasons. That role isn't a coaching role, and in time will become more isolated from daily football operations.
Sam Williams is obviously being kept around the club for a reason - if he transitions into coaching you would think it would spell end of Andy Mac. We don't need two not so bad local boys who played in the halves also being assistant coaching.

Andy Mac was around when Ennis worked with the number 9's - it makes sense to have a pretty decent former number 9 fill the void. Would he be any good at it? Maybe, maybe not. He is certainly intelligent enough to be benefit to the club off field though.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Parramatta going after Hodgson
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

No way Hodgo plays for us again imo
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Parramatta Eels interested in signing Canberra Raiders hooker Josh Hodgson for 2023

Parramatta has emerged as a shock contender to sign Canberra hooker Josh Hodgson. The Eels and Hodgson are already locked in contract talks about a two year deal from 2023, when the star dummy half’s Raiders contract officially expires. Parramatta hooker Reed Mahoney has decided to quit the club and join Canterbury after next season. Hodgson has one-year remaining at Canberra and he and the club – at this stage - want that commitment fulfilled.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 6b3388bbae
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Looks like the Eels want to offer half his current salary, also interested in Sam Verrils.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: December 6, 2021, 4:19 pm Looks like the Eels want to offer half his current salary, also interested in Sam Verrils.
Surely we laugh at them.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Billy Walker wrote: December 6, 2021, 7:00 pm
greeneyed wrote: December 6, 2021, 4:19 pm Looks like the Eels want to offer half his current salary, also interested in Sam Verrils.
Surely we laugh at them.
He’ll be off contract.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Josh Hodgson looks to be staying put in 2022

Post by Botman »

Assuming the Eels sign him for 2023-24, i do wonder if the dominos might align for all parties with some negotiations on freight

But Hodgson to the eels, Mahoney to the dogs, and Cotric back to the Raiders for 2022 would only be mildly surprising.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: December 6, 2021, 8:17 pm Assuming the Eels sign him for 2023-24, i do wonder if the dominos might align for all parties with some negotiations on freight

But Hodgson to the eels, Mahoney to the dogs, and Cotric back to the Raiders for 2022 would only be mildly surprising.
Dogs win by getting a good 9 that they need. Eels break even by replacing one good 9 with another. Raiders lose by giving up a key position spine player and gaining a winger who while better than what we have isn’t elite and fills a position we already have well covered.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Botman wrote: December 6, 2021, 8:17 pm Assuming the Eels sign him for 2023-24, i do wonder if the dominos might align for all parties with some negotiations on freight

These things with so many moving parts don't come off that often. More things papers like to theorise about.

As we get into January and more of Hodgo's wages have been covered, we might get a more serious sniff at things IF Mahoney has signed.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

I dont know what effect it will have on his future but I know for a fact that Josh is held in super high regard by those players currently in junior squads and those who have recently come through into the main squad. This is because although all first graders do some assisting with coaching, Josh is/was a super frequent presense at junior training sessions both for assistance with the whole squads and for personalised training. He is facing a tricky stage in his career at the moment trying to squeeze the last drops of income out of the lemon that is NRL but I would not be surprised if he did have a coaching role in the after life, maybe even in Canberra.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

That's good to hear. I don't get the sense at all that the club is trying to squeeze him out because of his support for George Williams.

I just think the club has bluntly told him they don't have the cap space or requirement to extend his playing contract beyond this season.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Seiffert82 wrote:That's good to hear. I don't get the sense at all that the club is trying to squeeze him out because of his support for George Williams.

I just think the club has bluntly told him they don't have the cap space or requirement to extend his playing contract beyond this season.

it'd be on the back of trevilyan and starling plus hodgo being 32 and 2 acl's which I think is pretty fair

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

bonehead wrote: December 7, 2021, 1:16 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:That's good to hear. I don't get the sense at all that the club is trying to squeeze him out because of his support for George Williams.

it'd be on the back of trevilyan and starling plus hodgo being 32 and 2 acl's which I think is pretty fair

Yep, exactly my take on it too.

Hodgo for one more season is almost the perfect scenario for us. The club is obviously doing the right thing by him in letting him talk to other clubs if he can negotiate an extended contract without us having to pay too much freight.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Reports Parra have signed Hodgo for 2023
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Parramatta Eels sign Josh Hodgson for 2023

Canberra hooker Josh Hodgson will link with the Eels from 2023, taking the place of Canterbury-bound Reed Mahoney at the end of next season.

Meanwhile, Canberra, Parramatta and Canterbury have returned to the negotiating table as they edge towards a deal that will see Bailey Simonssson move to the Eels and Nick Cotric return to the nation’s capital. The Raiders have held talks with the NRL salary cap department about the deal and Canberra is now optimistic that will happen and hope to have something finalised in the coming days.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 85ea6053a2

Hodgson poised for Eels switch in 2023: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-4883639

Hodgson signs with Eels on two year deal from 2023: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/hodgso ... 59gdl.html

The article suggests the Raiders might now target Sam Verrills or Jacob Liddle for 2023, but that seems to be speculation.
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

I suppose that musical chairs is for 2022. Article is not really clear

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Josh Hodgson signs with Eels for 2023

Post by greeneyed »

Cotric to Raiders and Simonsson to Eels is for 2022.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

What a player Hodgo has been for us.

Very confident he’ll have a bumper 22 for the green.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

still a favourite of mine

Edrick The Entertainer
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Great player for us, but at 32 and repeated injuries in not too gutted to see him go
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

This will make 2022 interesting to see how they manage the transition to Starling as the starting hooker.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Thanks for the memories. Our best and most influential player for us in the Ricky Stuart era, in particular 2015 - 2019. We would have won it in 2016 if he did not go down injured v Cronulla.

Best for all parties concerned, we weren't giving him another contract. Glad we still have him for 2022.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Yes great outcome.
Wouldn’t want to be parramatta if he breaks down this year for us. Risky on their account.
I agree with the comments about his influence on our club over the time he’s been here.
Last year was hard to watch the breakdown of relationships amongst the squad. Shame that a relative newcomer to the team was able to create that level of destabilisation. Hodgo and Stick were tight for a long time but clearly that became fractious over Williams.
I won’t enjoy watching him in 2023 for the eels but you would have to think his best footy is behind him and it’s more of a leadership/mentor role he will play at Parra to finish up a good career.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Gee that's a risky signing for Parramatta. Definitely plays into the storyline that they're about to fall apart.

I'd love to see Hodgson play until late 30s and be a gun because of what he has upstairs. But I'm not sure thats viable with where the game is moving.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Hodgo was never a standout defender but it got worse in the last 2 years.
That alone will really restrict him being able to make an impact on a team in 2 years time.
I’m rating this a bad signing for the Eels.

Loved what Hodgo has done during his time in green, best of luck.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Old School Green wrote: December 9, 2021, 5:53 pm Yes great outcome.
Wouldn’t want to be parramatta if he breaks down this year for us. Risky on their account.
I agree with the comments about his influence on our club over the time he’s been here.
Last year was hard to watch the breakdown of relationships amongst the squad. Shame that a relative newcomer to the team was able to create that level of destabilisation. Hodgo and Stick were tight for a long time but clearly that became fractious over Williams.
I won’t enjoy watching him in 2023 for the eels but you would have to think his best footy is behind him and it’s more of a leadership/mentor role he will play at Parra to finish up a good career.
Yep, if I'm Parramatta, that contract definitely has clauses saying the deal is subject to a physical assessment.

I wish him all the best. I really do. His impact at this club shouldn't be understated. He was outstanding from the start and his 2016 nearly got us to the big dance. However, I really don't believe the narrative that his relationship with Stuart is fractured. I get the sense they communicate very openly and honestly. He wouldn't still be here otherwise.

Hopefully he's got at least one more top shelf season left in him, and he plays his role alongside our 7 and 6.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Seiffert82 wrote: December 9, 2021, 6:49 pm
However, I really don't believe the narrative that his relationship with Stuart is fractured. I get the sense they communicate very openly and honestly. He wouldn't still be here otherwise.
I’m not so sure; I think it’s soured. But end of the day he wants to keep playing and that wasn’t going to happen here.
The other thing to note is that Ennis works for Parra now and he would have been a big reason they are jumping for him.
As has been pointed out elsewhere he turns 34 the year he joins them. Has to be mentorship/leadership driven you would think!!
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Old School Green wrote: December 9, 2021, 7:08 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: December 9, 2021, 6:49 pm
However, I really don't believe the narrative that his relationship with Stuart is fractured. I get the sense they communicate very openly and honestly. He wouldn't still be here otherwise.
I’m not so sure; I think it’s soured. But end of the day he wants to keep playing and that wasn’t going to happen here.
The other thing to note is that Ennis works for Parra now and he would have been a big reason they are jumping for him.
As has been pointed out elsewhere he turns 34 the year he joins them. Has to be mentorship/leadership driven you would think!!
I guess we'll see how it plays out. I still don't fully understand why Hodgo sticking up for his mate would have turned the whole thing that sour. Maybe I'm naive, but that stuff happens all the time.

Anyway, time will tell I guess.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

I'm pretty sure he was pissed at Ricky for leaking stuff to the media.